Let's talk about replacing GWBush in 2004.

Tuvok

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 04:08 pm
I may not be able to read 500 pages of lets hate George Bush, But I do enjoy the fact that he's hated, Hes loseing to Kerry very slowly, so slowly he may still be in the lead come November.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 04:16 pm
The distorted views of Bush supportersA new study by the Program on International Policy Attitudes (PIPA) shows that supporters of President Bush hold wildly inaccurate views about the world. For example, "a large majority [72 percent] of Bush supporters believe that before the war Iraq had weapons of mass destruction."[1] Most Bush supporters [57 percent] also believe that the recently released report by Charles Duelfer, the administration's hand-picked weapons inspector, concluded Iraq either had WMD or a major program for developing them.[2] In fact, the report concluded "Saddam Hussein did not produce or possess any weapons of mass destruction for more than a decade before the U.S.-led invasion" and the U.N. inspection regime had "curbed his ability to build or develop weapons."[3]

According to the study, 75 percent Bush supporters also believe "Iraq was providing substantial support to al Qaeda."[4] Most Bush supporters [55 percent] believe that was the conclusion of the 9/11 commission.[5] In fact, the 9/11 commission concluded there was no "collaborative relationship" between al-Qaeda and Iraq.[6]

Bush supporters also hold inaccurate views about world public opinion of the war in Iraq and a range of Bush's foreign policy positions.[7]

Sources:

1. "The Separate Realities of Bush and Kerry Supporters," Program on International Policy Attitudes, 10/21/04, http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=3382691&l=64458.
2. Ibid, http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=3382691&l=64458.
3. "Iraq's Illicit Weapons Gone Since Early '90s, CIA Says," Los Angeles Times, 10/07/04, http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=3382691&l=64459.
4. "The Separate Realities of Bush and Kerry Supporters," Program on International Policy Attitudes, 10/21/04, http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=3382691&l=64458.
5. Ibid, http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=3382691&l=64458.
6. "Al Qaeda-Hussein Link Is Dismissed," Washington Post, 6/17/04, http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=3382691&l=64460.
7. "The Separate Realities of Bush and Kerry Supporters," Program on International Policy Attitudes, 10/21/04, http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=3382691&l=64458.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 07:35 pm
I suspect many of you - and Blatham in particular - might enjoy this link:

li e girls
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 09:14 pm
nimh

Your suspicion was correct. That is simply hilarious. Thank you very kindly.
0 Replies

firstthought

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 09:27 pm
Monsterslash
And here wat bush aand hts cronies do.

http://www.monsterslash.org

ft Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 09:22 am
Intimidation and fear the administrations two greatest allies.

THE ENVIRONMENT

NASA Expert Criticizes Bush on Global Warming Policy

By ANDREW C. REVKIN

Published: October 26, 2004

top NASA climate expert who twice briefed Vice President Dick Cheney on global warming plans to criticize the administration's approach to the issue in a lecture at the University of Iowa tonight and say that a senior administration official told him last year not to discuss dangerous consequences of rising temperatures.

The expert, Dr. James E. Hansen, director of the NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies in Manhattan, expects to say that the Bush administration has ignored growing evidence that sea levels could rise significantly unless prompt action is taken to reduce heat-trapping emissions from smokestacks and tailpipes.

Many academic scientists, including dozens of Nobel laureates, have been criticizing the administration over its handling of climate change and other complex scientific issues. But Dr. Hansen, first in an interview with The New York Times a week ago and again in his planned lecture today, is the only leading scientist to speak out so publicly while still in the employ of the government.

In the talk, Dr. Hansen, who describes himself as "moderately conservative, middle-of-the-road" and registered in Pennsylvania as an independent, plans to say that he will vote for Senator John Kerry, while also criticizing some of Mr. Kerry's positions, particularly his pledge to keep nuclear waste out of Nevada.

He will acknowledge that one of the accolades he has received for his work on climate change is a $250,000 Heinz Award, given in 2001 by a foundation run by Teresa Heinz Kerry, Mr. Kerry's wife. The awards are given to people who advance causes promoted by Senator John Heinz, the Pennsylvania Republican who was Mrs. Heinz Kerry's first husband.

But in an interview yesterday, Dr. Hansen said he was confident that the award had had "no impact on my evaluation of the climate problem or on my political leanings."

In a draft of the talk, a copy of which Dr. Hansen provided to The Times yesterday, he wrote that President Bush's climate policy, which puts off consideration of binding cuts in such emissions until 2012, was likely to be too little too late.

Actions to curtail greenhouse-gas emissions "are not only feasible but make sense for other reasons, including our economic well-being and national security," Dr. Hansen wrote. "Delay of another decade, I argue, is a colossal risk."

In the speech, Dr. Hansen also says that last year, after he gave a presentation on the dangers of human-caused, or anthropogenic, climate shifts to Sean O'Keefe, the NASA administrator, "the administrator interrupted me; he told me that I should not talk about dangerous anthropogenic interference, because we do not know enough or have enough evidence for what would constitute dangerous anthropogenic interference."

After conferring with Mr. O'Keefe, Glenn Mahone, the administrator's spokesman, said Mr. O'Keefe had a completely different recollection of the meeting. "To say the least, Sean is certain that he did not admonish or even suggest that there be a throttling back of research efforts" by Dr. Hansen or his team, Mr. Mahone said.

Dr. Franco Einaudi, director of the NASA Earth Sciences Directorate at the Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md., and Dr. Hansen's supervisor, said he was at the meeting between Dr. Hansen and Mr. O'Keefe. Dr. Einaudi confirmed that Mr. O'Keefe had interrupted the presentation to say that these were "delicate issues" and there was a lot of uncertainty about them. But, he added: "Whether it is obvious to take that as an order or not is a question of judgment. Personally, I did not take it as an order."

Dr. John H. Marburger III, the science adviser to the president, said he was not privy to any exchanges between Dr. Hansen and the administrator of NASA. But he denied that the White House was playing down the risks posed by climate change.

"President Bush has long recognized the serious implications of climate change, the role of human activity, and our responsibility to reduce emissions,'' Dr. Marburger said in an e-mailed statement. "He has put forward a series of policy initiatives including a commitment to reduce the greenhouse gas intensity of our economy.''

In the interview yesterday, Dr. Hansen stood by his assertions and said the administration risked disaster by discouraging scientists from discussing unwelcome findings.

Dr. Hansen, 63, acknowledged that he imperiled his credibility and perhaps his job by criticizing Mr. Bush's policies in the final days of a tight presidential campaign. He said he decided to speak out after months of deliberation because he was convinced the country needed to change course on climate policy.

Dr. Hansen rose to prominence when, after testifying at a Senate hearing in the record-warm summer of 1988, he said, "It is time to stop waffling so much and say the evidence is pretty strong that the greenhouse effect is here."
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 06:16 pm
Flash
The Republican National Committee announced today that the Republican Party
is changing its emblem from an elephant to a condom.

The committee chairman explained that the condom more clearly reflects the
party's stance today, because a condom accepts inflation, halts production,
destroys the next generation, protects a bunch of pricks, and gives you a
sense of security while you're actually getting screwed.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 11:10 am
Bush's one finger salute....link on the following page
http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2004/10/27/victory_salute/index.html
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 05:46 pm
This seems like an article many here would like to read:

Quote:
Priceless
by the Editors of The New Republic

Post date 10.28.04 | Issue date 11.08.04

Here is a simple way to understand economic policy-making under George W. Bush: Whichever pressure group has the strongest and most direct stake in an issue gets its way. Wealthy individuals and business owners have received large tax cuts; farmers have gotten lavish assistance; and insurance and drug companies won enormous subsidies in the Medicare prescription-drug bill. When steel firms lobbied for tariffs, Bush granted them. When automakers and other manufacturers later lobbied Bush to reverse course, complaining that those tariffs had raised the cost of the steel they buy, he began to back down. If there's a single prominent case where Bush offended a powerful corporate interest--except to benefit an even more powerful corporate interest--we have not come across it.

It is therefore fitting that the final bill Bush has signed before voters have a chance to cast judgment on his term represents the apotheosis of this appalling tendency. With no public ceremony at all, Bush last week approved a grotesque and completely indefensible corporate tax bill. If anybody needs a final reminder of this administration's lack of concern for the national interest--indeed, the lack of a policy process that could even conceivably advance it--this is it.

The latest installment of this revolting saga began in March, when the European Union began imposing new tariffs as retaliation for the U.S. refusal to repeal a $5 billion per year export subsidy that the World Trade Organization said violated fair trade practices. This prompted Congress to rescind the subsidy. So far, so good. Then, predictably, Congress decided that the savings from killing the subsidy could not be used to reduce the deficit. Instead, the money had to go to tax breaks. And, rather than using the money for broad-based tax breaks, Congress decided on specific tax breaks for manufacturers. Why is this dumb? Because economists across the political spectrum have long held that, if the government rewards one kind of economic activity over another, it distorts the economy. Worse, those who don't qualify for preferential treatment will press the government to be reclassified.

That's exactly what happened. First, Congress redefined "manufacturing" to include engineering contractors (under pressure from Bechtel), companies involved in mineral extraction (for the benefit of Exxon Mobil), and virtually anybody else who hired a lobbyist. Later, the pretense of helping manufacturers was dropped entirely, and everybody from the importers of Chinese-made ceiling fans to foreign citizens who earn money gambling on American dogs and horses won special provisions. One lobbyist involved in drafting the bill confessed to The Washington Post that the whole thing represented "a new level of sleaze." In the end, the breaks given out will substantially exceed the cost of the rescinded subsidy, driving the deficit even higher.

There is plenty of blame to go around. The GOP-run Congress utterly abdicated its responsibilities by allowing the bill to degenerate into a lobbying free-for-all. Only a few Democrats bothered to put up a fight, with most deciding it was best to hop aboard the gravy train themselves. Louisiana Democratic Senator John Breaux gave voice to unprincipled capitulation when he told The New York Times, "In the end, you need to get things done." (Breaux is retiring and reportedly entertaining lucrative offers to work as a lobbyist.) And John Kerry inexplicably failed to campaign against the bill, eliminating any pressure to oppose it.

But the ultimate responsibility lies with the Bush administration. It is in Congress's nature to act like a pig at the trough. The reason this sort of spectacle is so rare is that most presidents have some sense of responsibility to the national interest. Conservatives, liberals, and moderates have all denounced this bill. (Conservatives recognize the "tax breaks" to be thinly disguised pork.) It is a naked payoff, and there's no principled reason, from any ideological perspective, to support it.

That's why it is so emblematic of Bush's presidency. Previous presidents have done things that have alienated conservatives or moderates or liberals. But is there any president in recent memory who has enacted major legislation that is universally regarded, excepting its direct beneficiaries, as bad public policy? If so, there certainly can't be one who, like Bush, has done so over and over again. (We're referring here to the farm subsidies, the Medicare bill, and other giveaways listed above.) Some endorsements of Bush have expressed hope that, in a prospective second term, he will either moderate his views or hew more firmly to conservative principles. Both possibilities would constitute an improvement. Neither, alas, would be remotely plausible.
Quote:
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 07:21 pm
Well,maybe this question is already there,but who of your conservative here does not support Bush?
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 10:26 pm
http://www.allhatnocattle.net/27doggy.jpg
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 11:19 am
http://www.able2know.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10156/bush_wins.jpg

http://www.able2know.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10156/pilon.jpg

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SQAdA!sWKmkQLVujM*Pcdp7PTeq*6elbAf94X!bdrXUmDKfdFy0hFXzi48QqtqEVsxoncohGm2XhUBLk3KuH8HhCIXhnMW1P!iuU5Xo3rwP9hRVModBhzg/kissmedhue.gif
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 11:33 am
http://www.shaneandmissy.com/nuge/EARLYV.jpg
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 10:49 pm
Gloating disgusts me. You guys should play it way cooler than this. It's fine during the election when both sides can play equally........but now that the results of the election are known, it would be a good idea to show a little more class. Or is that too much to ask?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 10:51 pm
Lola my sweet....that was a rhetorical question correct?
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 10:52 pm
Dear [Lola],

Earlier today I spoke to President Bush, and offered him and Laura our congratulations on their victory. We had a good conversation, and we talked about the danger of division in our country and the need, the desperate need, for unity for finding the common ground, coming together. Today, I hope that we can begin the healing.

In America, it is vital that every vote counts, and that every vote be counted. But the outcome should be decided by voters, not a protracted legal process. I would not give up this fight if there was a chance that we would prevail. But it is now clear that even when all the provisional ballots are counted, which they will be, there won't be enough outstanding votes for our campaign to be able to win Ohio. And therefore, we cannot win this election.

It was a privilege and a gift to spend two years traveling this country, coming to know so many of you. I wish I could just wrap you in my arms and embrace each and every one of you individually all across this nation. I thank you from the bottom of my heart. Thank you.

To all of you, my volunteers and online supporters, all across this country who gave so much of themselves, thank you. Thanks to William Field, a six-year-old who collected $680, a quarter and a dollar at a time selling bracelets during the summer to help change America. Thanks to Michael Benson from Florida who I spied in a rope line holding a container of money. It turned out he raided his piggy bank and wanted to contribute. And thanks to Alana Wexler, who at 11 years old and started Kids for Kerry.

I thank all of you, who took time to travel, time off from work, and their own vacation time to work in states far and wide. You braved the hot days of summer and the cold days of the fall and the winter to knock on doors because you were determined to open the doors of opportunity to all Americans. You worked your hearts out, and I say, don't lose faith. What you did made a difference, and building on itself, we will go on to make a difference another day. I promise you, that time will come -- the election will come when your work and your ballots will change the world, and it's worth fighting for.

I'm proud of what we stood for in this campaign, and of what we accomplished. When we began, no one thought it was possible to even make this a close race, but we stood for real change, change that would make a real difference in the life of our nation, the lives of our families, and we defined that choice to America. I'll never forget the wonderful people who came to our rallies, who stood in our rope lines, who put their hopes in our hands, who invested in each and every one of us. I saw in them the truth that America is not only great, but it is good.

So here -- with a grateful heart, I leave this campaign with a prayer that has even greater meaning to me now that I've come to know our vast country so much better and that prayer is very simple: God bless America.

Thank you,

John Kerry
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 10:53 pm
Yes, Dear Bear.........I suppose it was. How are you surviving?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 11:00 pm
I predicted bush would win.......and I have never hated being right about anythng so much......a cynic is an idealist who has been let down once too often you know.....thank God I still have my figure my guitar and my good looks....
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 11:17 pm
Lola wrote:
Gloating disgusts me. You guys should play it way cooler than this. It's fine during the election when both sides can play equally........but now that the results of the election are known, it would be a good idea to show a little more class. Or is that too much to ask?

Complaining about gloating is as gauche as gloating.

Stiff upper lip and all that.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 11:18 pm
Just thought I'd bring this up ... from back on Dec 15th

timberlandko wrote:
PDiddie wrote:
You're on.

Care to put any money where your beak is?

Sure ... how about a $50 donation to the national committee of the party of the successful candidate?

To which Pdiddie responded

PDiddie wrote:
timberlandko wrote:
PDiddie wrote:
You're on.

Care to put any money where your beak is?

Sure ... how about a $50 donation to the national committee of the party of the successful candidate?

Agreed!

That's probably the only time I'll ever type that word in relation to one of your posts...perhaps we should bookmark that as well... :wink:
0 Replies