How the Church built Civilization, feel free to add

Wed 20 Jul, 2016 09:01 am

"Father Nicolaus Steno, a Lutheran convert who became a Catholic priest , is often identified as the : Father of Geology. The Father of Egyptology was Father Athanasius Kircher (Catholic priest). The first person to measure the rate of acceleration of a freely falling body was yet another priest, Father Giambattista Riccioli. Father Roger Boscovich is often credited as the Father of modern atomic theory. Jesuits (Catholic) so dominated the study of earthquakes that seismology became known as "the Jesuit science." (How the Catholic Church built Western Civilization by Thomas E. Woods Jr.)

"Even though some thirty- five craters on the moon are named for Jesuit (Catholic) scientists and mathematicians, the Churches contributions to astronomy are all but unknown..." (How the Catholic Church built Western Civilization by Thomas E. Woods Jr.)

"J. L. Heilbron of the University of California at Berkely points out, "The Roman Catholic Church gave more financial aid and social support to the study of astronomy for over six centuries from.... the late Middle Ages into the Enlightenment, than any other, and probably all other institutions."" (How the Catholic Church built Western Civilization by Thomas E. Woods Jr.)

"... the monks gave "the whole of Europe.. a network of model factories, centers for breeding livestock, centers of scholarship, spiritual fervor, the art of living... readiness for social action- in a word .... advanced civilization that emerged from the chaotic waves of surrounding barbarity. Without any doubt, Saint Benedict (the most important architect of western monasticism) was the Father of Europe. The Benedictines, his children, were the Fathers of European civilization." (How the Catholic Church built Western Civilization by Thomas E. Woods Jr.)

On the Catholic origins of the first modern form of international law! : "... the idea is first found in sixteenth century Spanish universities, and it was Francisco de Vitoria a Catholic priest and professor, who earned the title of Father of international law.Faced with Spanish mistreatment of the natives of the New World, Vitoria and other Catholic theologians began to speculate about human rights and the proper relations that ought to exist between nation. These Catholic thinkers originated the idea of international law as we understand it today." (How the Catholic Church built Western Civilization by Thomas E. Woods Jr.)

On the Catholic origins of the first modern form of civil law! : "Western law itself is very largely a gift of the Church. Canon Law (disciplinary laws of the Church) was the first modern legal system in Europe." (How the Catholic Church built Western Civilization by Thomas E. Woods Jr.)

Catholics invented the first modern writing system known as the Carolingian minuscule! It was the introduction of lower case letters, spaces between words, punctuation, etc! : "Fredegise, Alcuin's successor as abbot at Saint Martin's, played a definitive part in the development and introduction of Carolingian minuscule. Now Western Europe had a script that could be read and written with relative ease. The introduction of lower case letters, spaces between words, and other measures intended to increase readability quickened both reading and writing. ... Carolingian minuscule - developed by the monks of the Catholic Church - was crucial to building the literacy of Western Civilization." (How the Catholic Church built Western Civilization by Thomas E. Woods Jr.)

"If many are infected by your aims, a new Athens will be created in France, nay, an Athens finer than the old, for ours, ennobled by the teachings of Christ, will surpass all the wisdom of the Academy. The old had only the disciplines of Plato for teacher and yet inspired by the seven liberal arts is still shone with splendor: but ours will be endowed besides with the seven fold plenitude of the Holy Ghost and will outshine all the dignity of secular wisdom." (Alcuin of York headmaster of the Cathedral school at York, deacon, and abbot of the monastery of Saint Martin's at Tours letter to Charlemagne the Great about the heights of Christianity that he saw coming)

"Mere statistics can hardly do justice to the Benedictine achievement, but by the beginning of the fourteenth century, the order had supplied the Church with 24 popes, 200 cardinals, 7,000 archbishops, 15,000 bishops, and 1,500 canonized saints. At its height, the Benedictine order could boast 37,000 monasteries. And its not merely their influence within the Church to which the statistics point; so exalted had the monastic ideal become throughout society that by the fourteenth century the order had already enrolled some twenty emperors, ten empresses, forty seven kings, and fifty queens. Thus a great many of Europe's most powerful would come to pursue the humble life and spiritual regimen of the Benedictine order." (How the Catholic Church built Western civilization by Thomas E. Woods Jr.)

A Catholic monk named Dom Perignon of Saint Peter's Abbey invented champagne! "... the discovery of champagne can be traced to Dom Perignon of Saint Peter's Abbey, Hautvilliers- on- the Marne. He was appointed cellarer of the abbey in 1688, and developed champagne through experimentation with blending wines. The fundamental principles he established continue to govern the manufacture of champagne even today." (How the Catholic Church built Western civilization by Thomas E. Woods Jr.)

"In the early eleventh century... a monk (Catholic) named Eilmer flew more than 600 feet with a glider; people remembered this feat for the next three centuries. Centuries later Father Francesco Lana- Terzi, not a monk but a Jesuit priest pursued the subject of flight more systematically earning the honor of being called the Father of aviation. His 1670 book Prodromo alla Arte Maestra was the first to describe the geometry and physics of a flying vessel." (How the Catholic Church built Western civilization by Thomas E. Woods Jr.)

A Catholic pope invented the very first modern clock! : "The monks also counted skillful clock makers among them. The first clock of which we have any record was built by the future Pope Sylvester II for the German town of Magdelburg, around the year 996. Much more sophisticated clocks were built by later monks. Peter Lightfoot, a fourteenth century monk of Glatsonbury, built one of the oldest clocks still in existence, which now sits in excellent condition, in London's Science Museum." (How the Catholic Church built Western civilization by Thomas E. Woods Jr.)

Catholics invented the first astronomical clock which could accurately predict even lunar eclipses! : "Richard of Wallingford, a fourteenth century abbot of the Benedictine abbey of Saint Albans (and one of the initiators of Western trigonometry), is well known for the large astronomical clock he designed for that monastery. It has been said that a clock that equaled it in technological sophistication did not appear for at least two centuries. The magnificent clock, a marvel for its time, no longer survives, perhaps having perished amid Henry VIII's sixteenth century monastic confiscations. However Richard's notes on the clock's design have permitted scholars to build a model and even a full- scale reconstruction. In addition to timekeeping, the clock could accurately predict lunar eclipses." (How the Catholic Church built Western civilization by Thomas E. Woods Jr.)

"Aside from the Church's intellectual role in fostering the universities, the papacy played a central role in establishing and encouraging them. Naturally, the granting of a character to a university was one indication of this papal role. Eighty one universities had been established by the time of the Reformation. Of these thirty three possessed a papal character, fifteen a royal or imperial one, twenty possessed both, and thirteen had none. In addition it was the accepted view that a university could not award degrees without the approbation of pope, king, or emperor." (How the Catholic Church built Western civilization by Thomas E. Woods Jr.)

George

Wed 20 Jul, 2016 09:07 am
@AugustineBrother,
As a fellow Catholic, may I ask you to dial down the triumphalism just a bit?
Thank you.

George
Below viewing threshold (view)
maxdancona

Wed 20 Jul, 2016 09:14 am

Quote:
There are Jews in the world.
There are Buddhists.
There are Hindus and Mormons, and then
There are those that follow Mohammed, but
I've never been one of them.

I'm a Roman Catholic,
And have been since before I was born,
And the one thing they say about Catholics is:
They'll take you as soon as you're warm.

You don't have to be a six-footer.
You don't have to have a great brain.
You don't have to have any clothes on. You're
A Catholic the moment Dad came,

Because

Every sperm is sacred.
Every sperm is great.
If a sperm is wasted,
God gets quite irate.

0 Replies

George

Wed 20 Jul, 2016 09:27 am
@AugustineBrother,
AugustineBrother wrote:
I am not sure you are a Catholic and here is why : You don't say that any of
those claims are false.
If that's the measure of Catholicism, I certainly fall short.
mark noble

Wed 20 Jul, 2016 11:16 am
@AugustineBrother,
And now an appeal to authority.
Is there a single fallacy you know of, AB?

You're fortunate these guys are already bored with you, or you'd have 50 new arseholes by now.
0 Replies

Foofie

Wed 20 Jul, 2016 02:15 pm
Back in the 1960's when someone worked for IBM they might have bragged to others that they were an employee of IBM with its good benefits/salary/etc. Others worked in smaller computer companies, and couldn't brag to overtly. So, I see the Catholic Church like IBM of the 1960's (bigger is better). And, of many Catholics I've met many seem to talk of "the Church" as though it was the only form of Christianity existing. If one had all the humility that Christianity purports to have, like the correct way to give charity, one would not appear to brag.
George

Wed 20 Jul, 2016 06:30 pm
@Foofie,
Dammit, Foofie!
I agree with you.
0 Replies

farmerman

Wed 20 Jul, 2016 06:39 pm
@Foofie,
Everyone who is a catholic has this overabundant feeling of superiority, most of it pure BS. Like BA's view that Nicky "Steno" was the father of geology. Absurd assertion based upon some inbred Catholic supwriority gene. I recall when I was living as a catholic, we were alwys taught that the entire world is divided into "Catholics" and Non-Catholics"

I wonder if they still teach that ecclesiastic BS.
George

Wed 20 Jul, 2016 06:48 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Everyone who is a catholic has this overabundant feeling of superiority, most
of it pure BS. Like BA's view that Nicky "Steno" was the father of geology.
Absurd assertion based upon some inbred Catholic supwriority gene. I recall
when I was living as a catholic, we were alwys taught that the entire world is
divided into "Catholics" and Non-Catholics"

I can assure you that not every Catholic feels that way.

The world is, of course, divided into Catholics and non-Catholics.
And into Muslims and non-Muslims.
And into Jews and non-Jews . . .
thack45

Wed 20 Jul, 2016 07:01 pm
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/91/c0/3a/91c03a483379c9f5818c4bd26eb58f17.jpg
0 Replies

farmerman

Wed 20 Jul, 2016 07:43 pm
@George,
no, with Islam it is Islam v infidels.

Christianity taught you to do good and avoid evil

Islm teaches to COMMAND GOOD and DESTROY EVIL. slightly different take

Witrh Jews, you have the Jews and the meshoogah
maxdancona

Wed 20 Jul, 2016 07:46 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Christianity taught you to do good and avoid evil

Islm teaches to COMMAND GOOD and DESTROY EVIL. slightly different take

I don't want to be the one to tell American Conservatives (who think they are Christians) that they are actually Muslims.

Why don't you tell them Farmerman?
thack45

Wed 20 Jul, 2016 08:17 pm
@maxdancona,
That'll be a good practice run for when he has to tell the Muslims that they're Jewish
maxdancona

Wed 20 Jul, 2016 08:19 pm
@thack45,
Factually.... both Christians and Muslims already think that they are Jewish.
Foofie

Thu 21 Jul, 2016 01:23 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Everyone who is a catholic has this overabundant feeling of superiority, most of it pure BS. Like BA's view that Nicky "Steno" was the father of geology. Absurd assertion based upon some inbred Catholic supwriority gene. I recall when I was living as a catholic, we were alwys taught that the entire world is divided into "Catholics" and Non-Catholics"

I know nothing about Gentiles, except that only Protestant Gentiles have the good sense to think of Jews as a valuable resource to make America richer/stronger, as well as other non-Protestant groups. I think for all their beliefs they understand that being a Protestant is not a universal church, as Catholicism purports to be.
0 Replies

Foofie

Thu 21 Jul, 2016 01:25 pm
@George,
Actually, in the New Testament I thought the world was sorted into Greeks, Jews, Romans and Gentiles? Who knew back then that there were tall blonds somewhere?
0 Replies

Foofie

Thu 21 Jul, 2016 01:28 pm
@farmerman,
You might have meant to say mischegoyim (mixed up Gentiles). Notice that being "mixed up" is not what Gentiles think Jews think of them (lacking intelligence).
0 Replies

Foofie

Thu 21 Jul, 2016 01:29 pm
@thack45,
Hallal meat = Kosher meat.
0 Replies

Foofie

Thu 21 Jul, 2016 01:30 pm
@maxdancona,
Wasn't it Jimmy Durante that said, "Everyone wants to get into the act."