Should I get a second guinea pig?

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2016 07:13 pm
Okay so about a year ago I got a single guinea pig and he didn't come with a second guinea pig. Its recommended that guinea pigs are supposed to have another pig so they can socialize BUT other also say that usually when a guinea pig comes by himself it means the guinea pig doesn't do well with other guinea pigs. any experts out there? I don't want my pig to be lonely, but I don't want him fighting another pig

roger

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2016 07:20 pm
@Jbond9008,
Check with your dealer. Maybe they can offer advice. If not, ask if they accept returns within some reasonable length of time.
0 Replies

TomTomBinks

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2016 09:23 pm
@Jbond9008,
I don't think any animal does well alone.
farmerman

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2016 03:55 am
@TomTomBinks,
they fatten up better when in groups.
TomTomBinks

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2016 01:46 pm
@farmerman,
My ex-brother in law's wife was from Columbia and the first time he took her to the local mall they went into a pet store where they were selling guinea pigs. She spotted them and loudly announced "Oh, in my country we eat these!"
He was mortified at the looks they got from the other shoppers. Hilarious!
farmerman

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2016 03:36 pm
@TomTomBinks,
I worked in all the nations in the altiplano and was a devotee of stick broiled guinea pigs with dips and sauces.

TAstes like a less gamey squirrel.
Leadfoot

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2016 04:02 pm
@farmerman,
You do know you've mentally scared mr. Bond for life, right?
farmerman

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2016 04:25 pm
@Leadfoot,
I think Mr Bond is intelligent enough to know that various animals are used differently in different cultures eh?

we eat cows and steers, in some countries that practice hindu religion, cows and rats are sacred. We make pets of dogs, some countries have dog as a savory dish.

They eat bear out there in Colo. (Ive been served bear at an employees plqce near Golden), I couldnt touch the stuff.

Ive eaten grubs, big mudbugs and locusts. So guinea pigs arent just for breakfast anymore.
Leadfoot

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2016 04:41 pm
@farmerman,
OH ****, we agree. Closest neighbor in CO gave me some jerky made from bear. I would have thrown up if I could have swallowed it.

Although it could have been the seasoning he apologized for not giving me the recipe for. (family secret he said).
Jbond9008

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2016 06:11 pm
@farmerman,
well i didn't think this conversation would get to this topic but yea other cultures do it the worlds diverse stuff happens but i was just ya know wondering if i should get another guinea pig lol
ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2016 06:21 pm
@Leadfoot,
I've been, um, relatively adventurous re food in contrast to people I lived near, but also the opposite, straightforwardly hating certain items, depending on when I tried something. I started as a cranky kid, so my takes varied with the years.

I recommend not eating raw oysters at Mismaloya Beach. That was a long time ago, but I still remember the horribleosity. I think it had something to do with where the river let out.

There was a guy at abuzz, a forum that was a precursor of grumpy sorts to a2k, who knew his foods. Thai, if I remember, and lived in Paris or thereabouts. He was way past me re food adventure. I almost remember his name.

0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2016 06:22 pm
I'd listen to Roger on this matter, he posted earlier.
0 Replies

TomTomBinks

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2016 06:23 pm
@farmerman,
Sounds tasty! There's quite a variety of wildlife right here in New York that I have yet to sample. I'll get around to it someday...
Leadfoot

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2016 06:45 pm
@Jbond9008,
Get the pig. Roger's idea was good.

Sam's Chowder House in Halfmoon Bay for the fried shrimp if this has gotten anybody hungry. It's spaghetti tonight for me. Too lazy to do from scratch, gonna try Newmans Marinara for a base in the interest of speed.
roger

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2016 06:54 pm
@Leadfoot,
Newman's? Maybe I'll give it a shot if it isn't too pricey. I've got a pot going right now that is more or less homemade. I mean, it all comes from scratch except for everything but the ground beef and onion coming from cans.
farmerman

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2016 07:10 pm
@Leadfoot,
HALFMOON BAY??? I lived there for a teeny bit, Looking for a ite that was closer to Lassen Peak but still an easy shot to my labs.

I hated HAlfmoon Bay cause the damn place had eucalyptii that all smelled like cat piss.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2016 07:15 pm
@roger,
I dont mind Newmans dried tmater salad dressing. I mix it with a tsp of really good balsamic so it isnt so damn schmarznej!!

We hqve a butcher in Lancaster city that makes a really good anisey hot italian link sausage that goes so well with spag sauce.
Otherwise it homemade white clam suce . I dont drink but I use about a half cup of a good sauterne or sherry to mix in with the sauce as it thickens. Clam juice and clams (herry stones only).
Now theres a good pet, that just sits there.

"The time has come.
the walrus said"...
farmerman

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2016 07:18 pm
@Jbond9008,
It goes like that sometime. We doo ramble on. but I always come back (LIKE NOW)

I agree that another guinea pig would help yours in socializing and it would be a good thing for health.

THREE is right out!!
(unless you hqve a buck and two does), otherwise the males 'ed kill each other.
Remember to give em some stuff o that they can keep thir teeth from growing all over
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2016 07:19 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

I dont mind Newmans dried tmater salad dressing. I mix it with a tsp of really good balsamic so it isnt so damn schmarznej!!

My favorite dressing, the only one I can eat now, is Girards Champagne Dressing.

Great on sammiches too.

http://buy.marzetti.com/getmetafile/6cb85e85-e32e-4cd0-9fe3-a4d9554dabec/Girards-Dressing-Champagne?maxSideSize=700
farmerman

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2016 07:20 pm
@TomTomBinks,
I hear that the deer and moose in NYS have a CRD problem. But I dont think that its transmissable to people.

0 Replies