The Most Recent Movie You've Seen on Streaming, Broadcast TV, or Movie Theater?

oralloy

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2017 06:52 pm

Just saw Valerian 3D. It was interesting to see the original that Lucas ripped off when he made Star Wars.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2017 07:04 am
@tsarstepan,
they need to work on theater sound engineering. The bass sounds in all theaters is obviously "sound machine" generated, even storms. It sounds so FLAT. I think sound tracks should be more directional an brilliant.
0 Replies

minhoo0205

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2017 09:56 pm
@tsarstepan,
Wolf Warriors 2, it is stirring.
0 Replies

MuntyH1de

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2017 08:08 am
Noctural animals, awesome movie, worth attention 10/10
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2017 09:58 am
Rumble: The Indians Who Rocked the World

https://www.kinolorber.com/media_cache/images/full/RUMBLE%20Poster%20(2434x3600)v2%20FINAL.jpg

Quote:
RUMBLE will tell the story of a profound, essential, and, until now, missing chapter in the history of American music: the Indigenous influence. Featuring music icons Charley Patton, Mildred Bailey, Link Wray, Jimi Hendrix, Jesse Ed Davis, Buffy Sainte-Marie, Robbie Robertson, Randy Castillo, and others, RUMBLE will show how these talented Native musicians helped shape the soundtracks of our lives.

RUMBLE is inspired by the Smithsonian Institution exhibit “Up Where We Belong: Native Musicians In Popular Culture,” created by Tim Johnson and Stevie Salas for the National Museum of the American Indian.

RUMBLE has a long list of music artists, historians, family members, and experts participating in the film, including: Buddy Guy, Steven Van Zandt, Tony Bennett, Taj Mahal, Cyril Neville, Ivan Neville, Martin Scorsese, John Trudell, David Fricke (Rolling Stone Magazine), Steven Tyler, Derek Trucks, Corey Harris, Guy Davis, Alvin Youngblood Hart, Monk Boudreaux, George Clinton, Jackson Browne, Martha Redbone, James “Hutch” Hutchinson, Joy Harjo, Iggy Pop, Wayne Kramer (MC5), Marky Ramone (The Ramones), Taylor Hawkins (Foo Fighters), Pura Fe Crescioni (Ulali), Dan Auerbach (The Black Keys), Phil Soussan (Ozzy Osbourne), Matt Sorum (Guns ‘N’ Roses), Mike Inez (Alice in Chains), Robert Trujillo (Metallica), Taboo (Black Eyed Peas), Slash (Guns ‘N’ Roses), Charlie Sexton (Bob Dylan), Rhiannon Giddens (Carolina Chocolate Drops), Pat Vegas (Redbone), Robbie Robertson, Buffy Sainte-Marie, and many others.

loved loved loved this

will probably go see it again in a couple of weeks when it's in rotation at the Hot Docs Cinema

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2017 07:24 pm
@ehBeth,
Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me (1999)
Rewatch after so many years. Doesn't age well. From a 9/10 to a generous 6/10.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2017 09:54 pm
@tsarstepan,
Double header today.
Ex Libris: New York Public Library (2017), 8/10. Solid, stripped down documentary with no narration or interstitial chapter titles.

Tonight:
Kingsman: The Golden Circle (2017), 6/10.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2017 10:07 pm
I watched Viva Zapata for the first time in years, yesterday. The movie was surprisingly well put together. I know it doesn't portray pure history, but it gave a good sense of Zapata and the other historical figures. I certainly enjoyed it.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2017 04:57 am
Not seen this film, but it's provoked a lot of laughter over here.

Quote:
With its tender plot line about two widowed pensioners seeking comfort in each other’s company it promised to be the perfect vehicle for its veteran stars Jane Fonda and Robert Redford.

Some have even spoken of it as being an opportunity for Fonda to re-establish herself as one of Hollywood’s leading ladies, after a run of minor parts.

What no one on the production team appears to have realised, however, is that the film’s title gives entirely the wrong impression.

Because while it may sound faintly lyrical to American ears, Our Souls at Night has a rather unfortunate meaning over here.

And if you don’t believe us then read it aloud to yourself.

The title of the Netflix production, which premiers on the internet channel today, has already caused hilarity among British film fans.

Several entertainment industry professionals have questioned how the US production team failed to spot the embarrassing pronunciation blunder.

With admirable understatement Rufus Sewell, the British actor and star of the current ITV drama Victoria, posted on Twitter a photograph of a billboard promoting the film, adding: “Maybe it sounds more family friendly with an American accent.”

Jo Unwin‏, a London-based literary agent whose clients include Charlie Brooker, whose award-winning drama series Black Mirror is on Netflix, wrote on Twitter: “Did Netflix think this title through?”

Peter Briggs‏, a British screenwriter based in Hollywood, said: “Oh, dear god. I can’t believe not a single British person was around to snigger at this during production.”
Jack Birch‏, who works in marketing for the London-based publisher Bloomsbury, wrote: “I'm genuinely flabbergasted that they're releasing this in the UK as 'Our Souls At Night.”

Others were happy to have fun at the film’s expense.

Aaron Cameron‏ a scriptwriter and script editor, wrote: “Could have been worse. Could have been ‘Our Souls Ignite’.”

Julie Irwin, the children’s author who lives in Leigh-on-Sea, in Essex, said the film’s title put her in mind of “Southend High Street on a Saturday evening” rather than a gentle romance.

More than one person said the linguistic gaffe reminded them of the old Peter Cook and Dudley Moore joke: “The Americans have their soul singers and we in Britain have our soul singers."

But despite British viewers queuing up to point out the obvious, Netflix have refused to change the title of Our Souls At Night to something more suitable for the UK market.

A spokesman for the channel said: “We’re aware of how it sounds to some British ears. But the film has had this title for months and it’s coming out on Friday. There are no plans to change the title for the UK market.”

In the film Fonda - whose last significant role was in the 2015 Paolo Sorrentino film Youth, for which she won a Golden Globes best supporting actress nomination - plays a widow who asks Redford if they can sleep together on a purely Platonic basis, for comfort and companionship, having lost their respective partners.

From that unorthodox request springs an exploration of pain, friendship, ageing and family.

The New York Times wrote that the beauty of the Fonda and Redford’s performances “lies in the rediscovery of what wonderful actors they can be, and how good they are together”.

No doubt Netflix are hoping that our souls will be moved.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/09/28/souls-jane-fonda-robert-redford-film-title-prompts-unintended/
glitterbag

Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2017 01:18 pm
@izzythepush,
I had to repeat the title outloud about 4 times before my ear picked up the giggle-worthy line. Now, that's the only way I will hear it.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 1 Oct, 2017 02:47 am
@glitterbag,
Nobody's going to want to see a film called Arseholes in the Night regardless of how touching, sensitive and well acted it might be.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2017 08:58 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Ex Libris: New York Public Library (2017), 8/10. Solid, stripped down documentary with no narration or interstitial chapter titles.

thinking of this for next week but it's stinking long

__

went to see http://www.thehip.com/long-time-running/ last night . good enough. some parts were excellent. it was interesting seeing people I knew in the hometown sections.

still not Rumble. A and I agreed last night that it's one of the best movies - doc or otherwise, we've seen in many years.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2017 06:59 pm
@ehBeth,
Tonight, I finally gotten around to seeing the legendary
Heart of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse (1991).
WOW. Pretty revealing.
cameronleon

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2017 11:55 pm
The Other Side of Midnight

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BZDU3MjI5ZDUtMmRiYi00Yzk0LTgxNzItNjk1MGM3ZTQ3MzAxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUzOTY1NTc@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

This is the living room, this is the kitchen, this is the bedroom, here is the boy, here is the girl... here is the video...

Watching this movie one more time after years on the shelf collecting dust.

Besides the beauty Noelle which fills up the environment, the drama of the lovers is finally a splendorous striking church bell in a fateful free fall at 12:00 am.

0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2017 03:54 am
#1 Doctor Strange 3D

Wow! If I'd known the 3D was that awesome I'd have went to see it in theaters. The 3D version of the "mirror zone" where they twisted Manhattan into a dimensional pretzel was incredible. I can't imagine ever seeing this movie in 2D. If you see it, make absolutely sure that you see it in 3D.

#2 Blade Runner fanedit: The Version You've Never Seen Before

This fanedit assembles alternate takes throughout the entire movie, resulting in pretty much the exact same story, only with everything different.

Since the alternate takes often tell things in a slightly different way, they can flesh out the story and add more detail than just the regular version alone.

#3 Blade Runner - 1982 international release, in high definition with the colors regraded to match the Criterion LaserDisc

Nothing to say really. Legendary classic.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2017 11:30 pm
@tsarstepan,
I watched TCM’s silent classic “TheCabinet of Dr. Caligari”, 1919......I can barely believe it, the film is 98 years old, and it’s a true blast from the past. I love how the silent film actors use their hands....one of the best recreations of that period was “Sunset Blvd”....and the glorious Gloria Swanson.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2017 11:51 pm
@glitterbag,
I tried to adjust a few comments, but I was forbidden to intrude.
Builder

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2017 05:15 am
@glitterbag,
Better bring that up at the next meeting.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2017 01:25 pm
Went to see The Mountain Between Us with Idris Elba and Kate Winslett about a journalist and doctor whose charter flight crashed and leaves them stranded in the mountains. The reviews called it cloying and predictable, but I expected to enjoy it because of two of my favorite actors - and I did.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2017 11:47 pm
Blade Runner 2049

Saw it in a Premium Large Format theater with a 74-foot-wide screen (and presumably a 4K projector) and a custom sound system by the same guys who build sound systems for Metallica's arena tours.

I sat front row dead center, and IMO the movie looked really good sprawled across a massive screen. The biggest booms were powerful enough to briefly vibrate the screen out of focus (this was more of a cool effect than an annoyance and only happened a few times).

Since the 3D got some poor reviews, I saw it in 2D. You want it in 2D anyway if you are going for 4K on a giant screen, as almost all 3D movie releases are 2K-only.

The reviewers who say that this is one of the greatest movie sequels ever made, are correct.