The Most Recent Movie You've Seen on Streaming, Broadcast TV, or Movie Theater?

snood

Reply Tue 5 May, 2020 06:04 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
eurocelticyankee wrote:

Yup, Open Range is a great western for sure but i was suggesting more recent westerns.

One i forgot to mention was Bone Tomahawk (2015) Kurt Russell, Patrick Wilson, Matthew Fox & Richard Jenkins
In the dying days of the old west, an elderly sheriff and his posse set out to rescue their town's doctors wife from cannibalistic cave dwellers.
Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuGmtoQBPEM

The mention of The Hateful Eight (meh) brought Kurt Russell to mind and he brought Bone Tomahawk to mind.
Clockwork.

Did you like The Magnificent Seven remake (2017)? I wasn't overly thrilled with it - and I'm a huge Denzel fan.
snood

Reply Tue 5 May, 2020 06:12 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

snood wrote:

Thanks for those, euro. I would also recommend Open Range (2003)with Robert Duvall and Kevin Costner.

What is your opinion of "The Hateful Eight", Snood. I consider it another Tarantino winner. Not up to the standards of Pulp Fiction...but an enjoyable film to watch, if you like blood, hatred, and mayhem.

And who doesn't?

I have to put certain sensibilities and opinions about Tarentino on hold for me to watch his films. (My issue has to do with an argument between him and Spike Lee about the use of the 'N' word -not relevant to the present topic). But I think I may break down and watch Hateful 8.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 5 May, 2020 07:23 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

snood wrote:

Thanks for those, euro. I would also recommend Open Range (2003)with Robert Duvall and Kevin Costner.

What is your opinion of "The Hateful Eight", Snood. I consider it another Tarantino winner. Not up to the standards of Pulp Fiction...but an enjoyable film to watch, if you like blood, hatred, and mayhem.

And who doesn't

I think it's the weakest Tarantino film. The dialogue disappointed. There was questionable acting. And it was boring for the most part.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 5 May, 2020 07:52 pm
@tsarstepan,
I started on Hateful Eight but the beginning failed to catch my interest and I cut it off.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Tue 5 May, 2020 08:05 pm
@tsarstepan,
The extended version of the Hateful Eight that is on Netflix (becoming a four part miniseries) is not any better. It is still drawn out and boring.

The extended version is structured the same as the theatrical version, meaning no new major scenes. There is just more moments in between.
chai2

Reply Tue 5 May, 2020 09:00 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I appreciate some of Tarantinos works like PF, and actually always like at least part of any of his movies I watch.

However, and I don't know if this is a woman thing, I get really bored with his sophomoric treatment of women.
It's like "yeah yeah, seen that a dozen other times with you, grow up"
eurocelticyankee

Reply Wed 6 May, 2020 02:38 am
@snood,
I agree with you on The Magnificent Seven remake, it just didn't click for me.

I hadn't heard of the Tarentino, Lee dispute but i for one can't stand Tarentino's obsessive excessive use of the N word, particularly in Django.

As for recent westerns i don't think any of them are the calibre of Open Range or my personal favourite The Unforgiven.

But some are worth a watch.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 6 May, 2020 02:51 am
@eurocelticyankee,
eurocelticyankee wrote:

I hadn't heard of the Tarentino, Lee dispute but i for one can't stand Tarentino's obsessive excessive use of the N word, particularly in Django.

I didn’t mind it so much in Django, it was a film about slavery after all. What got me was the part he played in Pulp Fiction where he constantly used the phrase dead n word storage. It was almost like he was making out it was OK for him to use that word because he somehow cooler than the rest of us whities.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Wed 6 May, 2020 03:49 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
What got me was the part he played in Pulp Fiction where he constantly used the phrase dead n word storage.

You know what i've seen PF a few times and yet i don't remember that phrase being used.

Weird.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Wed 6 May, 2020 04:08 am
@chai2,
Tarantino aside don't you think women in movies have been getting a fair crack o' the whip these days. (and not on the ass either)

Every other film i see these days has a strong lead lady and not just in the dramatic sense but in the kick ass sense too.

Most recent was The Rhythm Section with Blake Lively, she was also kick ass in The Shallows.

The list is endless of kick ass movies with female leads .... and rightly so.

Say a prayer for the subjugated male.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 6 May, 2020 04:24 am
@eurocelticyankee,
You’ll notice it next time you watch it.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 6 May, 2020 05:52 am
@eurocelticyankee,
Ooh The Rhythm Section is good? I was really looking forward to seeing it, but right before I rented it I saw it had a rating of two out of five stars, and a rotten tomatoes score of like 38%, so I passed.

But with your recommendation (and after all it is Blake dog gone Lively), I may check it out.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 6 May, 2020 06:08 am
Django and Pulp Fiction are the only Tarantino films I've seen. After a time I only semi watched Pulp Fiction because the "reality" it portrayed repulsed me. So I missed much of the dialog. With Django, I can't find my hearing aid just now so I caught the use of that word, but didn't know how many times it was used. Since it involved slave holders, I gave it a pass, although I personally would have looked for a way around it.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 6 May, 2020 07:26 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

I have to put certain sensibilities and opinions about Tarentino on hold for me to watch his films. (My issue has to do with an argument between him and Spike Lee about the use of the 'N' word -not relevant to the present topic). But I think I may break down and watch Hateful 8.

I know what you mean...and I also have to put those sensibilities aside to watch his films. Same thing holds for me with some of the African American stand up comics.

But I think the stand-up comics and Tarantino use the word effectively to remonstrate it.

Tarantino does that same thing to the "man's inhumanity toward fellow man" trope.

There are people who use both the "n" word and "inhumanity of human to human" in ways that disgust me...but Tarantino is not one of them.

I hope I am not reading him wrong. I truly hope he meant it when he says he uses (over-uses) the "n" word in hopes of draining it of its power. I suspect that is what he does with the inhumanity meme.

As for The Hateful Eight not only does he use it often...he over-uses uses the other area where he gets lots of heat...demeaning women mostly
for being women.

Some of the scenes with Jennifer Jason Leigh were rough, to the point of savage...but I acknowledge I laughed out loud at some of the most outrageous ones.

I'd recommend the movie. Definitely not his best...but worth a look at how a mind like his deals with twisted situations.

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 6 May, 2020 07:29 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

I appreciate some of Tarantinos works like PF, and actually always like at least part of any of his movies I watch.

However, and I don't know if this is a woman thing, I get really bored with his sophomoric treatment of women.
It's like "yeah yeah, seen that a dozen other times with you, grow up"

As I mentioned above, he does use things to excess...but I honestly think it is more to mock those things than to revel in them.

I may be wrong.

The mistreatment of women was especially pronounced in The Hateful Eight.
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Wed 6 May, 2020 07:31 am
@snood,
Quote:
Ooh The Rhythm Section is good?

hmmm, it's okay.

I much prefer her in the The Shallows or The age of Adaline.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 6 May, 2020 07:35 am
@eurocelticyankee,
eurocelticyankee wrote:

Tarantino aside don't you think women in movies have been getting a fair crack o' the whip these days. (and not on the ass either)

Every other film i see these days has a strong lead lady and not just in the dramatic sense but in the kick ass sense too.

Most recent was The Rhythm Section with Blake Lively, she was also kick ass in The Shallows.

The list is endless of kick ass movies with female leads .... and rightly so.

Say a prayer for the subjugated male.

Not just in movies either. On TV also.

The Westworld series on HBO is a specific instance of three different women getting major league kick ass parts. And they had to compete with the likes of Anthony Hopkins, Jeffery Wright, and Ed Harris!

The three women actresses (Evan Rachel Wood, Thandie Newton, and Tessa Thompson are outstanding...and steal every scene in which they appear.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 6 May, 2020 07:43 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Same thing holds for me with some of the African American stand up comics.

I don’t think white people have any place telling black people whether or not they can use that word. It’s their word, not ours.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Wed 6 May, 2020 08:18 am
@Frank Apisa,
Yeah Frank, i reckon the age of man is coming to an end.

Pretty soon the women wont need us anymore, sure even now i think they're just tolerating us.

What do they need us for anyway, for love, nah they have each other. For sex, nah they have their vibrators. For children, nah they have artificial insemination and now they don't even need us for defense seeing as now they're more kick ass than we are.

Though we can be good for a laugh.

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 6 May, 2020 09:24 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Same thing holds for me with some of the African American stand up comics.

I don’t think white people have any place telling black people whether or not they can use that word. It’s their word, not ours.

Reasonable point to make, Izzy. I understand what you were saying.

I just do not like the word. I had an uncle that managed to work it into damn near every conversation.

Hearing it from him sent me into a rage. But in a Tarantino movie or with black stand-up...I just brush it aside. But, it does grate no matter what.