The Most Recent Movie You've Seen on Streaming, Broadcast TV, or Movie Theater?

oralloy

Reply Sun 13 Oct, 2019 08:18 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
You're welcome. I emailed Turner Classic Movies for information as to what would be shown in this 40th anniversary presentation, and they told me that it would be the new 4K scan that was recently done.

Here is an excerpt of an article that talks about that new 4K scan:

"For this 4K presentation, the Theatrical Version was scanned in native 4K from the original camera negative (at EFilm in 2018), was restored by Fox (at Company 3/Deluxe Entertainment Services Group, supervised by Ridley Scott and Pam Dery), finished as a 4K Digital Intermediate, and graded for high dynamic range in HDR10 and HDR10+ (for the rare displays that support it, but if you have one this should make a big difference for you)."

http://thedigitalbits.com/item/alien-40th-anniversary-uhd

Underlining emphasis added by me.

One thing I did notice though is, the movie that I saw today was presented in a flat aspect ratio instead of scope.

I think that because this new 4K scan is primarily for a product designed for home TVs, they cropped the sides of the picture to fit the dimensions of living room TVs.

On the other hand, most movie theaters these days are common width, not common height, so the flat aspect ratio is actually a good fit for modern theaters as well.

I was a little nervous about the picture quality right at the start, because the Fox logo at the beginning was pretty low resolution. But I needn't have worried. The movie itself was great (within the limitations of the movie cameras that they originally used of course).

By "logo" I mean that thing with the searchlights when they play the fanfare:

http://c7.alamy.com/comp/BP89X0/20th-century-fox-logo-20th-century-fox-1970-BP89X0.jpg
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2019 01:51 pm
So far, the best movie of 2019? Parasite (2019)
A dark and wickedly funny comedy. It's a shame it will (very likely) only remain in limited theatrical release in the US (and that many will give it the sniff test and never try to watch it because... it's subtitled).

0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2019 03:48 pm
The King

Nice rendition of Henry V with flavor boy Timothee Chalamet, my boyfriend Ben Mendelssohn and THE STORY.🌞
snood

Reply Sat 2 Nov, 2019 07:43 pm
I saw the latest Terminator movie today. Great entertainment.

Tonight I watched American Son on Netflix. Deals very realistically and contemporaneously with matters of interracial marriage, police violence against black men, and stuff. Engrossing as hell, but not for the delicate.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 2 Nov, 2019 08:39 pm
@snood,
I dove back into the past and watched "A Face In The Crowd" (1957) it still packs a punch. Plus, last night it was my good fortune to catch "Dr. Strangelove" released in 1964..I think it's even more relevant today.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 2 Nov, 2019 09:30 pm
@glitterbag,
I was ambushed by Dr. Strangelove. I had not heard of it at all when a friend asked me to go to a movie with him. I was shocked in the beginning, to the extent that I watched it with a continuing sense of shock, even while appreciating the humor. I now own it on a disc and occasionally watch it again.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 2 Nov, 2019 10:13 pm
@edgarblythe,
Some of the lines during that movie are perfecto "You know the rules, there is no fighting in the war room"....and the performance by George C. Scott was inspired and Sterling Hayden with his precious bodily fluids....completely nuts.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 2 Nov, 2019 10:17 pm
@glitterbag,
And Peter Sellers playing multiple characters. The airplane crew was classic also.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2019 04:42 am
@glitterbag,
A face in the Croowd should be required watching its a powerful movie. That and Pulp Fiction and Jurassic PARK (NUMBER ONE ONLY) are some of my favorite flix. "Wind River is another, Jeremiah Johnson, Dances with Wolves,
Saw Hell or High Water with Jeff Bridges.
Any "caper" movie sucks me in, even if its mildly bad. even the Ocean's (enter number here) are ok.

I saw "The Indianapolis" on Netflix last week and I was not really satisfied. They coulda done better but didnt.

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2019 09:47 am
@farmerman,
I tried to watch the original Oceans 11 three or four times, but just couldn't let it run.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2019 10:43 am
Recorded and watched Glengarry Glen Ross.
After 28 years it still packs a punch and Alec Baldwin is a revelation.
David Mamet’s screenplay and screen rights were expensive(1 million in ‘92$) but worth it.
Highly recommended.
Lash

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2019 10:45 am
@panzade,
I’ve got to make myself get through the whole thing. It was really hard to watch for me. Desperate salesmen make me so uncomfortable.

The acting was searing.
panzade

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2019 10:56 am
@Lash,
Quote:
Desperate salesmen make me so uncomfortable.

Ain’t that the truth!
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2019 11:08 am
@Lash,
I've not seen it, in fact I'd not even heard of it until I read your post. I've just read the Wiki article.

I do know the Henriad though and a lot of the plot is at odds with Shakespeare. Falstaff is banished by Henry at the end of Henry IV part 2 and dies in absentia in Henry V, but the film has him captaining the attack on France.

According to Wiki Henry is provoked into war by the dauphin but in the play he's out for war from the off, it unifies the country.

Did you find it at odds with the plays at all?

One of the scenes in Henry V is in Southampton at what is now a pub.
Lash

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2019 11:26 am
@izzythepush,
Yeah. When it went off the rails, I just took it for what it became. A weak sister story-wise, but I enjoyed the cinematography and the acting so much, I let it go.

I’ve decided to read it again.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2019 12:10 pm
@Lash,
You don't want to read it, it's a play. The BBC has a very good series called Hollow Crown which runs from Richard II to Henry V.

There's also lots of vids by the RSC and others.

I like live streaming, we go to the cinema and see it live streamed from a theatre in London. I think they stream globally. The last play we saw was my favourite, Measure for Measure. It was very good.

A quick google shows Macbeth and Anthony & Cleopatra as upcoming screenings, not any of the histories.
Lash

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2019 12:19 pm
@izzythepush,
Perfect!

That’s my new binge material.

I loved Olivier as Richard II. Did you consider that production faithful? It looked sort of campy, but I was still enamored by court intrigue and well-turned phrases.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2019 12:30 pm
@Lash,
I've always found Olivier to be really hammy. I've only seen his Henry V but I didn't like it that much.

Ray Fiennes was Richard III in the live stream before M4M. Well the last livestream we saw, I'm sure there were others.

It's strange, we have an arthouse cinema and multiplexes. The first live streaming I went to was at the arthouse. It was a mistake, choc a bloc with smelly old people talking loudly.

The multiplex was much better, it was just us and two other people.

I'll never watch Shakespeare at an arthouse again. I don't know if that's supposed to mean anything.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2019 01:32 pm
@panzade,
panzade wrote:

Recorded and watched Glengarry Glen Ross.
After 28 years it still packs a punch and Alec Baldwin is a revelation.
David Mamet’s screenplay and screen rights were expensive(1 million in ‘92$) but worth it.
Highly recommended.

2nd prize?

These steak knives.

At the time of when this movie came out, I was in sales.

Both the movie and the career made my stomach ache.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2019 03:31 pm
Netflix documentary. Fire in Paradise. Amazing footage of the horror some people faced in Paradise, CA.
0 Replies