What new dishes have you made recently, and how did it go?

ehBeth

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 09:21 pm
Ha! that's funny. I've been working on a beginner's version of risotto lately - sorta my tribute to l'k.

Last night, I cooked up some chicken thighs and sweet Italian turkey sausage. Tonight, I started some rice with olive oil, a little garlic and onion, and then water, then added bits of cooked chicken and turkey sausage and chiffonaded (shredded really) brussel sprouts, when the rice was an acceptable risotto-ey consistency. It was yummy.

Very comfort-foody on a cold, blustery night.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 09:26 pm
mmm, Beth. sounds yummy.

Ay, I just eat the Napa cabbage plain. I don't know of this Napa Salad. Can you tell me more about it. I love Napa cabage and would love to use it in more things.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 09:28 pm
I love Naan bread....

I made some Butternut squash soup on Easter. A beautiful bright orange purée. It was also delicious & v. easy. I just sautéed it in chunks first with an onion & an apple. The seasonings including some curry mix with sesame seeds. Butternut squash, however, is a pain in the patoot to peel.
0 Replies

Ay Sontespli

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 10:52 pm
ehbeth...risottos are nice ...if it ever gets cold here I will make some Wink
Swimpy, the Napa Valley salad is just shredded cabbage, romaine lettuce, chopped green onion tossed with noodles and sunflower seeds that you have slowly sauteed til golden brown. Top with dressing: red wine vinegar, soy sauce, salt,pepper, sugar and olive oil.
It is Michael's (17) fave salad so I taught him how to make it Smile
Piffka! have not seen you about in ages!
That sounds like a yummy soup! Again, will wait for some cooler weather before I try it Wink I was thinking about back home and how it is so nice and cold there and all the yummy soups I would be making....and fresh bread...!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 11:12 pm
Ay, I am your opposite, in that I have had some wonderful dal, da'al, whatever... I have eaten wonderful dal in restaurants in Los Angeles.. I tried to make it myself a while ago now, and made a great vat of dal which took quite a bit of time, much of a day, and at the end I was supposed to add a bit of coconut milk, which I did. Clearly I added the wrong thing, and the whole multi-gallon mess turned sweet. I dumped all of it out.

So, no, I don't have a good dal recipe. I bet The Prince does, if we can get his attention. (he is from india, and is a busy man in London, does know food)

And of course, there is probably a good dal recipe on cooks.com or somewhere similar.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 11:17 pm
The coconut milk we get here tends to be more for pina-coladas than for dal. I have a couple indian food recipes, but I don't think I could vouche for the recipes therein.
0 Replies

Ay Sontespli

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 11:23 pm
Hey Osso, I googled a recipe for dal ...
I use coconut milk powder which I buy in an Indian shop in the Valley (Brisbane). I asked the shop girls for tips on making dal, tried one or two of 'em, results were fabulous, but I forget what I did Wink And yes, dal takes forever to make, and it only takes the boyz two minutes to eat it! Wink
I like the smell of dal simmering on the stove. Very much like the lentil loaf that I make Smile Which is, I think, very yummy!

lilk, I tried using canned coconut milk and didn't like the way the dal tasted; is much better with the milk powder.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 11:53 pm
Whatever can I added, it was wrong... I should have just stopped before adding it! And if I did, I would have had at least a gallon of probably delicious dal..
0 Replies

Ay Sontespli

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 11:59 pm
A lesson learned Wink
I learned that once you have added something to a recipe, you can't take it out Wink
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 12:05 am
I'm thinking there are some things you can fix (oh, Cav, we miss you). For example, I think you can compensate for too much salt by adding potatoes, though I am no expert on this.

But too much sweet coconut milk, I fear a quick toss is the answer.

A quick toss, and a slice of toast and tea...
0 Replies

Ay Sontespli

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 12:17 am
yea, I heard that about potatoes too...I try to never add too much salt so I have yet to test that theory!
Off to the kitchen to make 'shroom stroganoff for dinner Smile
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 12:29 am
Me either.
0 Replies