What new dishes have you made recently, and how did it go?

ossobuco

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 11:00 pm
Well, I made french onion soup with bermuda onions this week. My odd twist was sauteeing them in a spicy chili peppered olive oil. Since I used a lot of onions, plus beef broth and a bit of white wine, it didn't taste like a spicy soup.. more that it just wasn't quite the same sort of bland sweetish soup as usual.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 02:58 am
I feel very disapointed of me.
I nearly never make dishes on my own due to my laziness. Confused
I just go to restaurant or eat the food that my parents make

Maybe i am not old enough. :wink:
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 04:31 am
PDiddie, that turkey bacon will kill you. Best to stick with the real deal.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 07:19 am
cavfancier wrote:

Tell me more (unless you're joking, then tell me that)...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 07:29 am
PDiddie wrote:
cavfancier wrote:

Tell me more (unless you're joking, then tell me that)...

A life without some indulgence will kill you. What do you actually think of the turkey bacon? I tried it once and it tasted like styrofoam. I'm a big fan of real double-smoked pig bacon. It's less fatty and watery than the regular product.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 07:31 am
Also, dare I ask, where is the bacon on a turkey? It's much more highly processed than normal bacon, which grows naturally on the pig. I don't trust highly processed products.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 08:15 am
You know, Cav. You're probably right about the benefits (or lack of) of turkey bacon. Life's too short not to eat the real deal.

In defense of Miss Martha, we grilled a crushed spice rubbed salmon with a mint and cucumber salsa a few weeks ago that received raves and many requests for the recipe. I only got a small piece of the salmon and none of the salsa at all. They made pigs of themselves. Smile
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 08:41 am
That salmon recipe sounds interesting. I never thought of putting mint - or cucumber with Salmon. I usually prepare it ina soysauce-honey mixture.

Veggie bacon is suprisingly good! (And suprisingly unhealthy...) Sometimes I will add it to vegetable mystery soup for meaty flavor.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 08:45 am
cavfancier wrote:
A life without some indulgence will kill you. What do you actually think of the turkey bacon? I tried it once and it tasted like styrofoam. I'm a big fan of real double-smoked pig bacon. It's less fatty and watery than the regular product.

I already indulge myself more than adequately...

I'm a BIG fan of bacon also.

It's not so bad, really...
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 08:52 am
cavfancier wrote:
Also, dare I ask, where is the bacon on a turkey? It's much more highly processed than normal bacon, which grows naturally on the pig. I don't trust highly processed products.

To my eye, it looks as if they have married two strips of white and dark meat to give it a swine-like appearance.

No disagreement on the processing, either.

Probably loaded with MSG.

*sigh* I suppose, based on your input, that I'll flip-flop among dishes prepared in the future between leaded and unleaded bacon. :wink:
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 09:02 am
I glazed a pork roast yesterday with a mixture of honey BBQ sauce, applesauce, and a few tablespoons of sugar. Added some Thyme and topped with apple slices for the last 45 minutes. DELICIOUS! We have leftovers, so I can hardly wait till lunch!

Unfortunately, the potato's didn't make it to a second day. I sliced them thin, tossed in butter, parmesan cheese, ramano cheese, salt, and pepper mixture, layered in dish and then stuck them in the oven at 400 for 45 minutes.

Fall is here!!! Yeah! For some reason I always cook more in the Fall and Winter.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 09:34 am
Squinney
Squinney, what time should I arrive for lunch?

Ummnnnn.

BBB
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 11:10 am
I put Miso in my fall vegetable soup
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 11:12 am
BBB- You are welcome any time! Very Happy
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 01:37 pm
This summer I lucked upon some seeds that produce a one foot long greenbean.Plan on blanching those then putting them in some mussaman curry for my jasmine rice.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 10:41 pm
BBB
I love jasmine rice.

BBB
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 06:30 pm
Algis.Kemezys wrote:
This summer I lucked upon some seeds that produce a one foot long greenbean.Plan on blanching those then putting them in some mussaman curry for my jasmine rice.

OOH!

I've had a thai dish called Mussamun Gai, but I didn't know that mussamun was a type of curry. Would you explain where to find it and how to use it for me?

My favorite Thai soup is Gatee Tom Yum Gai and I have a recipe for that. Thai food has so many interesting, exotic flavors. I had never had a sour soup before I tried that.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 08:23 am
Hi PS.
Yes you can buy the curry in a container from any oriental food supply company.Usually a really good chinease store will carry it.You usually add galunga root or you also soak some sour,whats that called....seeds from a pod to also give richness and usually you can add some extra chilli and this curry sauce is particularly famous with it:s lamb based curry.
Enjoy!!!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 09:32 am
last night while I was waiting on my housemate to come home to make a dinner she'd planned, I roasted, with rosemary and sage, the first pumpkin of the season. I also roasted onions and garlic. I tossed it all into a blender with veggie broth and a handful of chopped, roasted almonds- voila! Soup for a few meals.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 11:38 am
Sounds wonderfull those roasted almonds at the end must make for a very good taste.Bravopumkin cookerlittlek !!!
0 Replies