What new dishes have you made recently, and how did it go?

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 06:01 pm
I guess then we're quit. I love fennel (Anis)
either as salad or cooked.

Walla Walla Piffka? Are you all from the South? http://www.borge.diesal.de/shock.gif

I eat a lot of different vegetables here and most check-out
clerks hate me, as they have to look up the item *sigh*
or have this blank look on their faces: "What's this?"
"Leek! It's leek!" Then they scream through the loudspeaker "Do we have leek and if yes, what's the number?"

On good days I'll by Celery root too. Mr. Green
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 06:42 pm
Portal Star wrote:
And yes, I used to eat vidalias like onions as well.

Buyer beware! The name vialia onion was sold and is now used as a label on less sweet onions grown elsewhere. So make sure your vidalias say that they are from Georgia.

Well, Vidalias are onions. <smiles sweetly> Of course you'd eat like an onion, right? And nobody is saying Vidalias are from Walla Walla because Walla Walla is happy with their own onions... the seeds of which were brought from Corsica more than a hundred years ago.

Here's something to explain the difference (very little) between Vidalias and Walla Wallas... and no, Ms.Jane, I'm NOT from the south. M'am, I's from Puget Sound.

Sweet Onion Source

Quote:
Walla Walla Time
by Jan Roberts-Dominguez, Onion Expert

Of the silver screen's greatest dancing duo, who was the better dancer? Well, the joke goes, it would have been Fred Astaire, except Ginger Rogers performed the same steps backwards, and in heels.

That's sort of how I view the age-old rivalry between two of the nation's best known sweet onions, Vidalias and Walla Walla Sweets. The Georgia-bred Vidalia is undeniably a tasty morsel. But in the temperate winters of southeast Georgia, where the thermometer lingers obligingly in the 50's and 60's, who wouldn't turn out sweet?

The Walla Walla, on the other hand, offers the same sweet performance, better in fact, only under far more adverse conditions. After all, they grow at almost 1000 feet above sea level and tough it out through Pacific Northwest winters that typically dip down into the low 20's.

<and the article continues>
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 07:05 pm
I like braised fennel too.

Maui onions are also sweet...
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 08:19 pm
whow, who would have known that onions are so
versatile. There ist more to the layers than just plain
peeling it off.

Piffka, thanks for introducing me into the world of Vidalia and Walla Walla Mr. Green
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 08:32 pm
You are welcome, MissyJane... and I like braised fennel, too. Haven't had it in a while and have never cooked it myself.

I think that all sweet onions are great -- their big problem being that they don't store well and they tend to mushiness when they're cooking. I was going to ask ehBeth how she carmelized them... if she did anything different, because I've made them before and they've become a sort of "mush." Tasty but unattractive. I'm also not so fond of sweet onions as the veg to use for onion soup. Too much of a good thing, I guess.

I'm making granola bars right now. They are yummy. I start with a small packaged mix for muffins (which I only use for this treat). Add oatmeal flakes, melted butter, brown sugar, honey, vanilla, walnuts & butterscotch bits. We're waiting for them to cool right now. I got this recipe from a 10-year-old kid while I was still teaching religious education, so it's not really a new dish, however my fam. is anxiously waiting for them to cool. They are good... no calories, of course. Very Happy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 08:43 pm
and fennel is not anise... two different plants. Though many grocery stores label it as anise, grrrr.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 08:46 pm
and fennel is not anise... two different plants. Though many grocery stores label it as anise, grrrr.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 08:47 pm
anise - http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/a/anise040.html

fennel -
http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/f/fennel01.html

and then there's star anise, another plant..
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 08:47 pm
mmhhh, that sounds delicious Piffka. I like granola bars and buy them regularly at the health food store.

Baking is not my forte though. "Little Jane" said recently
to me: "How come all the other Mothers bring cookies
to class and all you do, is buy Krispy Kreme?" I felt
guity and tried my best, but those suckers were as hard
as a rock. "LJane" tried them and her face got all serious
and she thought, that buying Krispy Kremes would do
just fine Mr. Green

By the way, fennel is a natural appetite suppressent, especially when eaten raw. I guess, because of the licorice
taste that does something to your taste buds.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 08:51 pm
ossobuco wrote:

Interesting ossobuco!
I always thought that Anise is the seed of the whole fennel root.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 09:18 pm
Wow... Ossobuco, that is such a good website. I've seen it before, but I'd forgotten how good it was. Thanks.

I was interested to see that it was fennel used for fish. I think due to its similar looks, I've used dill, thinking I was doing the right thing. Hmmm. Must change my ways.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 09:22 pm
I thought so too, but no....

My very upscale market in LA labelled fennel as anise..
(I am a multimarket person, drifting to different markets for different foods. What a life..)
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 10:01 pm
The green stuff on top of the fennel does taste like
Dill though.

http://www.fotosearch.com/comp/PHT/PHT245/PAA245000037.jpg

We have a lot of farmers markets down here in
San Diego and their variety of vegetables is quite good.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 10:09 pm
San Diego? Uhmmmm, nice. I'll bet the vegies and fruits are very good. Lucky you!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 10:13 pm
Yeah, I know San Diego is hard to beat - this is living!
http://www.mainzelahr.de/smile/party/dance00.gif
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 10:58 pm
We had a long anniversary weekend down there a few years ago -- stayed at the hotel del Coronado. Way cool. Mr.P splurged & rented a convertible and we had some fun. I have good memories from there.

You from there?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 11:21 pm
No, I'm not! We did spend our honeymoon in San Diego many many moons ago, and 6 months later decided to move althogether (from NYC) and I've loved this place ever since.

The Del is a great hotel. I drag every visitor to Coronado
and everyone is impressed by it. They remodeled recently, so it's time for another trip down here Piffka Wink
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 11:26 pm
I'm ready!!!

(Neat that you made a choice like that. Waaaay different from NYC!)
0 Replies

Platypus

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 08:29 am
panzade wrote:
how much does a platypus weigh nowadays?

This one weighs about thirty pounds less than he did a year ago, actually, and is now at about the twentieth percentile (i.e. on the lean side) for his height. The key is to worry less about what you're eating than about how much, and to exercise a lot. Thanks for asking. A regular platypus only weighs a couple of pounds, BTW; they're much smaller even than people think.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 08:34 am
Just kidding a hatchling. Welcome to A2K
0 Replies