What new dishes have you made recently, and how did it go?

Swimpy

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 07:34 pm
You bet, Ay. It might take me a bit. There are a lot of ingredients. I'll be back.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 08:09 pm
Satay

1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breastcut into thin strips (this works well for beef or lamb as well.)

Marinade:
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
1-in. piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
4 tbsp. soy sauce
1 tsp. ground coriander
2 tsp. dark brown sugar
2 tbsp. lime juice
1 tbsp. vegetable oil

Peanut sauce:
1-1/4 cup coconut milk
4 tbsp. peanut butter*
1 tbsp. Thai fish sauce**
1 tsp. lime juice
1 tbsp chili powder***
1 tbsp. brown sugar
Salt & Pepper to taste.

Garnis:
Sprigs of cilantro
lime wedges

You can soak the bamboo skewers in water beforehand if you want. It doesn't seem to make them burn any less.

Marinate the chicken for as long as 2 hours. Thread onto skewers and place on broiler pan. Cover the exposed ends of the skewers with foil to prevent a bonfire in your oven. Broil for approximately 8-10 minutes, turning the skewers halfway through.

For the peanut sauce, place all the ingredients into a sauce pan and cook gently for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. I served this with rice noodles, but it would be good with Jasmine rice, too. I always have shredded napa cabbage as a side dish.

*I like mine peanut buttery so I put in twice as much peanut butter as the recipe calls for.

**Unless you are going to make this a lot, don't go out and purchase this. If you do, I recommend using 1 tsp, rather than 1 tbsp. It is nasty smelling stuff.

***You can use Thai chili paste instead of chili powder for a more authentic taste, or even finely chopped chilies.

P.S. The marinade is great for fish. We had salmon marinated in it for supper tonight. Yum.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 08:46 pm
Yum, some good sounding recipes here. We made a similar marinade for our salmon last night, Swimpy. I'd like to do that with chicken next time.

I think I'm going to try those salsa potato skins, too.

Right now in my oven is a Valentine treat for my sweetie, something I haven't made in years. It is called Pizza Rustic from the Vegetarian Gourmet cookbook. It's a double-crust pizza (crust made with Marsala wine) and has layers of an egg-ricotta mixture, a spicy tomato sauce with olives and fresh green peppers cut to the size of matchsticks. I remember that it was really good when I used to make it... we'll see how it turns out. It took me lots longer than I remember (hence it still being in the oven with half an hour to go).
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 09:12 pm
Sounds a little like a pizza vesuviano I had in Rome - it was two layers, with a hole in the middle of the top layer, was filled with some scrambled egg and whatever mixture, and it arrived at the table all puffed up like.. Mount Vesuvius, with steam coming out of the crater...
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 10:26 am
Hmmm. A volcano? It looked something like that... there was "lava" spilling out. It wasn't as good as I remembered, though my valentine promised he was pleased. It was blander than I expected and tasted a lot like lasagna. The crust was delicious. Very Happy

I think I either needed to add some red pepper flakes to the tomato sauce or add meat. I read this is a traditional Italian dish for Easter, so I jumped the gun a little.

Here's a similar recipe except I made my own tomato sauce (should have made it spicier).
http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1726,144168-233193,00.html
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 11:13 am
Hmmm, 40 minutes? harrumph - I know we didn't wait any 40 minutes, but those woodburning pizza ovens are Hot.

I've saved this to favorites and will print it out - I've been getting back into pizza making since my niece visited over the holidays (puh-leeze, osso, can't we make pizza like we used to????)
0 Replies

umitsmonkey

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 12:39 pm
im the new kid here, Embarrassed as you could say, i guess. but i plan to attend a culinary arts school..

something i have been craving recently is brocolli. put some itallian dressing in a fondue pot and cook the brocolli till soft and limp. its delicious
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 05:32 pm
Experimenting right now.

Had some leftover grilled salmon and bluefish, and roasted garlic mashed taters.

Flaked the fish, mixed in the taters and two eggs. Mixed in some white corn/black bean salsa. Looked at the bowl. Added a handful of garlic croutons. Let it all sit for about 20 minutes. Shaped the stuff into patties. Two are baking. Two are frying. We'll see how these slightly spiced up fish cakes turn out.

I've got a great baby spinach and orange segment salad ready to go. I know that part will be mmmmmmmmmmmm good. Ooooh, maybe I'll sliver some almonds to go on top?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 05:37 pm
sounds like you are making 'fisch-frikadellen" . hbg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 05:39 pm
Maybe it's instinctive?

Cleo is guarding the stove very thoroughly. I think I need to train her on how to use a spatula.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 05:55 pm
Last night I made raots pheasant. It was very experimental food. I had never even tasted pheasant before, much less cooked it. I modified a recipe I had for Cornish game hens. It uses white wine, chicken broth, lemon and garlic as a basting sauce for the bird. It was surprisingly good. Pheasant tastes more like roast beef than chicken, though.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 06:17 pm
roast pheasant

<sigh>

i was trying to figure out what terribly exotic cuisine you were experimenting with, swimpy

(Naots shoes are Israeli, so I was thinkin' "raots, is that middle eastern? lemon's a middle eastern clue?")

Would you handle it differently another time, given that it's more solid than poultry-ish?
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 01:00 pm
Yes, ROAST pheasant Razz

I might have used a red wine in the basting sauce rather than white. Probably would have deleted the lemon all together.
0 Replies

ceme87

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 04:57 pm
well yesterday
i made steak and chicken
steak was dry chicken was okay
veggies- brocalli and corn < cant spell> good
then the macaroni. well i bought this box which was carbs less kinda thing.
the macoroni was grossssssssssssss it was hard n came with the alfredo sause whichwas green gross., so i made gravey came out good. n bread
overall got rated a 8 Smile
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 05:04 pm
How did you prepare the steak and chicken, ceme?
What cut of steak did you use?
0 Replies

Ay Sontespli

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 08:54 pm
Was outta curry powder and rather than traveling to the city to get more, I bought a curry packet at Coles. Mistake! Never again! It was so ick that I would not eat it. The boyz did not mind it so much but then they are not uber vegetarians either Razz
I went to the Inidan shop in the Valley today and stocked up on all my Indian spices Smile
I also seem to have mastered Naan bread! Yea!! It was getting exy to purchase that stuff at Coles! I am almost ashamed to say that my boyz can eat a whole batch in one sitting! (16) Well, 14 coz I always take two out for hubby's lunch next day Wink
0 Replies

Ay Sontespli

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 09:04 pm
Swimpy....
" always have shredded napa cabbage as a side dish. " <-- with the Satay....
Is that the Napa Valley Salad? The one with the sauteed sunflower seeds and noodles?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 09:09 pm
Naan and dal, a reason to live....
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 09:12 pm
I made isreali couscous last weekend. I saoked a lot of dried porcini, strained the resulting broth, boiled the couscous (these are the size of small pearls) in the broth. Then I sauted onion, garlic, chopped porcini in olive oil, added the couscous when it was done cooking.

Twas very simple and quite yummy. Like an alternative to risotto.
0 Replies

Ay Sontespli

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 09:20 pm
osso...do you have a good recipe for dal? sounds like you might ! the one i am currently using is....alright, but i reckon it could be better. my husband is a huge dal fan but i never ate it in the restaurants. (there is a lot i won't eat in restaurants Wink )
therefore i am a lil unsure of just how it is supposed to taste. i am sure the boyz would appreciate any help you might have to offer! We do Indian night every Wednesday; as a reward to my husband for going to the job he is not so terribly fond of Wink
0 Replies