Senator Chris Murphy's Gun Control Filibuster Leads To Vote

RABEL222

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2016 02:46 pm
@roger,
Semi automatic pistols have a capacity of anywhere from 8+1 to 30+1 rounds. Thats to make sure the rabbits and squirrels dont get away.
RABEL222

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2016 02:53 pm
@revelette2,
Rev. The problem is mostly the supreme court making it legal to bribe congressmen by redefining bribery as political contributions. We need some justices who will look out for common citizens rather than big businessmen who couldent care less about you and me.
oralloy

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2016 03:03 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
Some instances where you have said government can't impose any gun control of any kind.

I did not say such a thing in any of those quotes.

parados wrote:
You continually argue that all gun control legislation is unconstitutional.

No, I continually expressly say the exact opposite.
oralloy

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2016 03:05 pm
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:
Failing to pass sensible gun measures is not unfortunately a partisan problem. There are always democrat holdouts who are strong anti-gun control.

It is hardly unfortunate that there are a handful of Democrats who care about the Constitution and civil rights. What is unfortunate is that there are not even more of them.

revelette2 wrote:
I think those who care about this issue beyond the days of the tragedy, should research who these democrats are and the next time they run against another democrat, vote them out.

I think you are forgetting that the NRA will protect America from these attempts to topple our Constitution.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2016 03:24 pm
@RABEL222,
The statement I referred to sounds like it applies to assault rifles. Just for your benefit, I want to point out that it could easily include handguns. I know that's what they want, but I think it was intentionally deceptive as written. I am not surprised you didn't pick up on that.

PS: I own a semi automatic hand gun that is 6 + 1. Not an important distinction, but does point out your misstatement of facts on a subject you are trying to sound informed about.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2016 03:30 pm
@RABEL222,
There are millions of common citizens who own guns or want to buy them.

parados

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2016 04:19 pm
@oralloy,
If all reasonable gun control is unconstitutional then you are clearly saying the government can't impose any gun control. Unless you are actually arguing that you think unreasonable gun control is what is Constitutional. Are you?
revelette2

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2016 07:58 am
@RABEL222,
I agree, we should be able to get big money out of senate and house; but I don't see it happening anytime soon. However, we the little people still have the power to vote and we should start using it in the issue of gun safety laws. In the primaries the issue of gun control should be a deciding factor when choosing between two democrats.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2016 02:21 pm
@roger,
I am informed. I searched the internet for hand gun max loads and my numbers are accurate. Anywhere from 9 bullets to 31. The fact your gun only has 7 bullets dosent mean its the norm for handguns. Assault rifles have up to 100 rounds in some clips.
RABEL222

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2016 02:28 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Yes I know. I have owned some since I was 9 years old. Thats 71 years. But I dont believe that anyone who wants a gun should have one. Its necessary for someone to know that what comes out of the end of the damn thing kills. Mentally ill people shouldent own one and government should have the right to deny one to an incompetent or one who is a danger to the populace.
roger

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2016 02:35 pm
@RABEL222,
Sorry guy. You made, and continue to make an absolute statement. You are wrong, you continue to be wrong, and you can't admit you were wrong. Now you come back and start talking about "the norm".
Baldimo

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2016 03:14 pm
@RABEL222,
Do you happen to know what a standard size magazine is? It is what the manufacture sells the gun with. Depending on the gun you have it will depend on what the manufacture sells it with. What you anti-gunners keep calling large capacity are really standard capacity. Yes you can buy a magazine for gun that holds 30 rounds, but that will be an after market magazine and not the standard one. Yes you can by a 100 round drum for an AR, but that is not the standard magazine that comes with the gun. Most AR's have a standard capacity of 30 rounds per magazine, that is not a high or large capacity magazine but a standard magazine.

As an example, I have 3 semi-auto hand guns. 1 has a 14 round mag, another has a 15 round mag and the last one has a 10 round mag. Those were the size mags that came with the guns. My buddy who also has a semi-auto hand gun has a standard mag that comes with 16. BTW, you only count +1 if you keep one in the chamber and a full mag. I keep all of my guns in Condition 3, so there is no +1 for me.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2016 03:43 pm
@RABEL222,
You wrote:
We need some justices who will look out for common citizens rather than big businessmen who couldent care less about you and me.

So justices who uphold the right of common citizens to own guns should be OK with you.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2016 04:25 pm
The Court does not uphold the right of citizens to keep any damned gun they want. The first clause of the second amendment reads: "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state . . ." Congress determines what constitutes a well regulated militia, and the Court upheld that in the 1939 decision in the United States versus Miller, a decision in which they upheld the National Firearms act.
Real Music

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2016 07:25 pm

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/democrats-stage-sit-in-on-house-floor-over-gun-control/

Democrats stage sit-in on House floor over gun control

Last Updated Jun 22, 2016 4:21 PM EDT

Just days after four gun control measures failed to pass in the U.S. Senate, House Democrats are staging their own historic protest on the floor of the lower chamber over firearm safety legislation.

A group of roughly 60 legislators sat down cross-legged in the middle of the House floor Wednesday, pushing for gun control votes. Some remained standing on the floor.

The group included civil rights icon Rep, John Lewis, D-Georgia, Kentucky's Rep. John Yarmuth, and Rep. Joe Courtney of Connecticut.

"We can no longer wait," Lewis said from the House floor. "We can no longer be patient. So today, we come to the well of the House to dramatize the need for action. Not next month, not next year, but now -- today. Sometimes you have to do something out of the ordinary. Sometimes you have to make a way out of no way."

"We have been too quiet for too long," he added. "There comes a time when you have to say something. You have to make a little noise. You have to move your feet. This is the time."

Members took turns speaker passionately at the podium, chanting "No bill, no break" after each speech and using the trending hashtag #NoBillNoBreak on Twitter to publicize their efforts.

The originators of the sit-in also signed and sent a letter to House Speaker Paul Ryan outlining their intentions, urging the Republican leader "to keep the House in session until we have robust debate and votes on expanding background checks and banning the sale of firearms to suspected terrorists."

"Until then," the letter read, "we are resolved and committed to speaking out for victims, survivors, and families at home who deserve a vote."
oralloy

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2016 07:27 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
If all reasonable gun control is unconstitutional then you are clearly saying the government can't impose any gun control. Unless you are actually arguing that you think unreasonable gun control is what is Constitutional. Are you?

I mean exactly what I say. Your claims that I mean something other than I say are silly.
oralloy

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2016 07:29 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
The Court does not uphold the right of citizens to keep any damned gun they want.

Is anyone here arguing for a right to have any gun?

At any rate, luckily we have the NRA to defend our Constitution whenever the courts fail to carry out their duty.

Setanta wrote:
Congress determines what constitutes a well regulated militia,

Who is or is not in a militia has little to do with the right of non-militiamen to have guns for self defense.
Real Music

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2016 07:33 pm
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2016 07:35 pm
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2016 07:35 pm
@Real Music,
Mr. Lewis was stirring.

Quite a speech. Not too long, but meaningful.

we should be headlights, not taillights