Senator Chris Murphy's Gun Control Filibuster Leads To Vote

farmerman

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2016 08:30 pm
@oralloy,
The NAtional Firearms Act of 1934 seems to work pretty well. Under what conditions can a missile be owned and kept by a "citizen soldier" without an armory in between?
Heres some weapons on the list of what's NOT allowed to be owned (From a Wikipedia article).
If Conservipedia has a different take. Id love to read how the two services
differ.

NATIONAL FIREARMS ACT

Quote:
The National Firearms Act of 1934 (NFA) defines a number of categories of regulated firearms. These weapons are collectively known as NFA firearms and include the following:
Machine guns
This includes any firearm which can fire more than 1 cartridge per trigger pull. Both continuous fully automatic fire and "burst fire" (e.g., firearms with a 3-round burst feature) are considered machine gun features. The weapon's receiver is by itself considered to be a regulated firearm. A non-machinegun that may be converted to fire more than one shot per trigger pull by ordinary mechanical skills is determined to be "readily convertible", and classed as a machinegun, such as a KG-9 pistol (pre-ban ones are "grandfathered").
Short-barreled rifles (SBRs)
This category includes any firearm with a buttstock and either a rifled barrel less than 16" long or an overall length under 26". The overall length is measured with any folding or collapsing stocks in the extended position. The category also includes firearms which came from the factory with a buttstock that was later removed by a third party.
Short barreled shotguns (SBSs)
This category is defined similarly to SBRs, but with either a smoothbore barrel less than 18" long or a minimum overall length under 26".
Suppressors
This includes any portable device designed to muffle or disguise the report of a portable firearm. This category does not include non-portable devices, such as sound traps used by gunsmiths in their shops which are large and usually bolted to the floor. In October, 2015 Arizona Congressman Matt Salmon introduced the Hearing Protection Act to remove suppressors from the NFA.[8]
Destructive Devices (DDs)
There are two broad classes of destructive devices:
Devices such as grenades, bombs, explosive missiles, poison gas weapons, etc.
Any firearm with a bore over 0.50 inch except for shotguns or shotgun shells which have been found to be generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes. (Many firearms with bores over 0.50" inch, such as 20-gauge or 12-gauge shotguns, are exempted from the law because they have been determined to have a "legitimate sporting use".)
oralloy

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2016 09:09 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
The NAtional Firearms Act of 1934 seems to work pretty well.

Not really. People have to get certification from local law enforcement, but there is no requirement that local law enforcement bother to certify people, which can leave gun buyers trapped in limbo when trying to buy weapons. Also, there is no reason why a background check should take months and months.

farmerman wrote:
Under what conditions can a missile be owned and kept by a "citizen soldier" without an armory in between?

I'm not sure that I understand your question. They would presumably keep their missiles in some sort of gun safe.

farmerman wrote:
Heres some weapons on the list of what's NOT allowed to be owned (From a Wikipedia article).
If Conservipedia has a different take. Id love to read how the two services differ.

I've no idea what Conservipedia is, but the only part of that list that covers things that people aren't allowed to own is the line that says: "Devices such as grenades, bombs, explosive missiles, poison gas weapons, etc."
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2016 09:11 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
You are correct though that rights are not absolute. But I think everyone already knew that

You said everyone already knew that these rights are not ABSOLUTE. Yet, every time someone tries to pass REASONABLE gun legislation, the NRA start screaming that the lawmakers are trying to take away people's 2nd amendment right to bear arms,

Quote:
Rights do however prohibit laws that have no good reason for existing

Do you think expanding the EXISTING background check to also include sales at gun shows to be a law of having no good reason for existing?
oralloy

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2016 09:25 pm
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:
every time someone tries to pass REASONABLE gun legislation, the NRA start screaming that the lawmakers are trying to take away people's 2nd amendment right to bear arms,

Every single time gun legislation has been characterized as "reasonable" it has turned out to be an outrageous violation of our rights.

"Reasonable" and "common sense" are code words for "we're coming to violate your civil rights".

Real Music wrote:
Do you think expanding the EXISTING background check to also include sales at gun shows to be a law of having no good reason for existing?

It is more complicated than that. The background check system has been corrupted by Barack Obama so that it now bars lots of law-abiding citizens from buying guns. Expanding the background checks to cover gun shows is not acceptable because that would then bar these law-abiding citizens from being able to buy guns.

If you were to reform the background check system so that it only barred criminals and the dangerously insane from buying guns, and you prosecuted Barack Obama in federal court for corrupting the system and got him sentenced to a long term in federal prison, maybe it would become acceptable to expand the reformed background check system.
roger

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2016 09:32 pm
@oralloy,
What's happened to the background checks?
oralloy

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2016 09:51 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:
What's happened to the background checks?

They started with disabled veterans, placing all disabled veterans who have their disability checks cashed by a third party on the list of people prohibited from buying guns.

Then they expanded that to all disabled people who have their disability checks cashed by a third party.

EDIT: Well, they talked about expanding it. I presume they went ahead and expanded to disabled people in general since they talked about doing it and no one was in a position to stop them.

I presume their next step will be everyone who wears glasses. Pol Pot is a hero to the Left after all.
roger

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2016 10:15 pm
@oralloy,
Oh. I don't think that's particularly worrisome. If someone else is legally allowed to sign and cash checks for them, they've either granted someone a power of attorney, or been judged mentally incompetent. That would be Alzheimer's disease or other dementia. If they can't be held legally responsible for their actions, it seems a legitimate standard. It certainly wouldn't apply to a veteran or other person physically disabled.
Real Music

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2016 10:19 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Every single time gun legislation has been characterized as "reasonable" it has turned out to be an outrageous violation of our rights.

Can you provide any examples of any proposed gun laws that (YOU) believed to be an outrageous violation of our rights?

Quote:
"Reasonable" and "common sense" are code words for "we're coming to violate your civil rights".

Other than NRA talking points, what are you basing your conclusions on?

Quote:
The background check system has been corrupted by Barack Obama so that it now bars lots of law-abiding citizens from buying guns. Expanding the background checks to cover gun shows is not acceptable because that would then bar these law-abiding citizens from being able to buy guns.

Again, that sounds like NRA talking points. What are your sources for these claims? Do you have any examples beyond simple talking points?

Quote:
If you were to reform the background check system so that it only barred criminals and the dangerously insane from buying guns, and you prosecuted Barack Obama in federal court for corrupting the system and got him sentenced to a long term in federal prison, maybe it would become acceptable to expand the reformed background check system

That's sounds hateful, baseless, and without any foundation. That's the kind of talk I would expect from Sean Hannity or Rush Limbaugh

oralloy

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2016 11:30 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:
Oh. I don't think that's particularly worrisome. If someone else is legally allowed to sign and cash checks for them, they've either granted someone a power of attorney, or been judged mentally incompetent. That would be Alzheimer's disease or other dementia.

That is incorrect. It includes a large number of people people who are merely disorganized enough to not keep track of their finances, and are perfectly capable of responsible gun ownership. And there is no judgement of mental incompetence (at least at a court/judge level, possibly some low-level bureaucrat in a small office somewhere).

roger wrote:
If they can't be held legally responsible for their actions, it seems a legitimate standard.

Not cashing one's own disability check does not mean someone isn't legally responsible for their own actions. It just means they don't manage their own finances.

roger wrote:
It certainly wouldn't apply to a veteran or other person physically disabled.

It would if they didn't cash their own checks.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2016 11:32 pm
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:
oralloy wrote:

Can you provide any examples of any proposed gun laws that (YOU) believed to be an outrageous violation of our rights?

I can do even better. I can point to proposed gun laws that actually would violate our rights: assault weapons bans.

Real Music wrote:
oralloy wrote:

Other than NRA talking points, what are you basing your conclusions on?

I am basing my conclusion on the fact that every time the term "reasonable" or "common sense" is used regarding gun legislation, it turns out to be an outrageous violation of our civil rights.

It is interesting that every time you hear a fact you think NRA. That the NRA are the ones telling the truth here should tell you something.

Real Music wrote:
oralloy wrote:
It is more complicated than that. The background check system has been corrupted by Barack Obama so that it now bars lots of law-abiding citizens from buying guns. Expanding the background checks to cover gun shows is not acceptable because that would then bar these law-abiding citizens from being able to buy guns.

Again, that sounds like NRA talking points.

Again associating facts with the NRA. That the NRA are the guys who are telling the truth should tell you something.

Real Music wrote:
What are your sources for these claims?

News coverage of the event when it happened.

Real Music wrote:
Do you have any examples beyond simple talking points?

Your characterization of a fact as a talking point does not delegitimize it as a fact.

Real Music wrote:
oralloy wrote:
If you were to reform the background check system so that it only barred criminals and the dangerously insane from buying guns, and you prosecuted Barack Obama in federal court for corrupting the system and got him sentenced to a long term in federal prison, maybe it would become acceptable to expand the reformed background check system.

That's sounds hateful, baseless, and without any foundation. That's the kind of talk I would expect from Sean Hannity or Rush Limbaugh

Since I'm the one who decides what you will have to do in order for me to stop blocking the expansion of background checks, for you to describe it as baseless and without foundation is fairly ludicrous.

I don't care if you consider it hateful.
Real Music

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 01:09 am
@oralloy,
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/10/15/most-gun-owners-dont-belong-to-the-nra-and-they-dont-agree-with-it-either/

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2013/01/28/strong-majority-of-americans-nra-members-back-gun-control

Quote:
It is interesting that every time you hear a fact you think NRA.

We are gonna have to agree to disagree that your statements are accurate or factual. I also don't put much credence into the NRA as a source of facts.

Quote:
That the NRA are the ones telling the truth here should tell you something.

Again, we are gonna have to agree to disagree that the NRA are the ones telling the truth

Quote:
Your characterization of a fact as a talking point does not delegitimize it as a fact.

Once again, we are going to have to agree to disagree that these talking points as being fact

Quote:
I don't care if you consider it hateful.

Your very own words says it all.
Setanta

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 02:16 am
@oralloy,
As usual, your delusional drivel is not worth a response.
Real Music

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 02:33 am
@oralloy,
http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2013/05/nra-lie-obama-gun-control-registry-survey

http://muscatinejournal.com/news/opinion/mailbag/nra-lies-are-well-documented/article_b1873b66-8602-5c97-a128-2f2310e5d521.html
roger

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 03:05 am
@Real Music,
Oddly, the second led me to a survey regarding home décor. It did look brief, but just not my thing.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 04:13 am
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:
We are gonna have to agree to disagree that your statements are accurate or factual.

In other words, you plan to just ignore facts and reality whenever they contradict your extremist position.

That is typical of people who hate freedom and civil rights.

Real Music wrote:
I also don't put much credence into the NRA as a source of facts.

It is telling that every time you heard a fact, you thought of the NRA.

Real Music wrote:
Again, we are gonna have to agree to disagree that the NRA are the ones telling the truth

You're the one who thought of the NRA every time you heard the truth.

Real Music wrote:
Once again, we are going to have to agree to disagree that these talking points as being fact

Your willful ignoring of reality doesn't actually change reality. Your referring to reality as a talking point doesn't change reality either.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 04:15 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
your delusional drivel

Says the person who can't point out a single thing that I've said that is incorrect.

Good grief. If you can't even make an argument then why even post?
oralloy

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 04:16 am
@Real Music,
You know, as an American for the longest time I agreed that I didn't understand irony. It was a word best left to the Brits, who understood how to use it. But more and more now I'm beginning to get it.

Your silly referrals to "talking points" every single time I confronted you with a fact that contradicted your extremist ideology, in conjunction with your silly linking to canned anti-freedom screeds instead of making your own arguments.... That's irony. And I as an American suddenly find that I can recognize irony.

I feel like I've grown as a person.
farmerman

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 06:21 am
@oralloy,
Ya know, Sheldon (of Big Bang ), seemingly "understands certain words or phrases", but its still funny as to how they can make an entire comedy series based on his functional autism and how he really is clueless.

Like "Im trying to use sincerity to my advantage here but it seems that ( character's name here) is functionally unable to respond. I must do further research on this phenomenon"

oralloy

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 06:51 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Ya know, Sheldon (of Big Bang ), seemingly "understands certain words or phrases", but its still funny as to how they can make an entire comedy series based on his functional autism and how he really is clueless.

Like "Im trying to use sincerity to my advantage here but it seems that ( character's name here) is functionally unable to respond. I must do further research on this phenomenon"

I am aware of the series, but have never watched it (sitcoms are anathema to me), so I can't really follow.

As far as irony goes, I've always heard the definition of irony without really getting it.

I've always heard Americans refer to things as ironic with Brits saying "no, that's not irony" if they were ever within earshot, and I could see how the American usage didn't match the definition even though I didn't really "get" the definition.

But recently on another messageboard I had a pro-Putin person, who was openly cheering for Russia's right to invade anyone they felt like invading, tell me that America should mind our own business when it came to other countries, and it just clicked.

And now here on a2k I've recognized it again.

I'm still an American at heart, but I can recognize irony now.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 11:22 am
@oralloy,
I can continue to go back and fourth and debate you point by point, but to what end. It sounds like you are not interested in any constructive debates with opposing views. When all you do is rant, nothing is gain. Debates are to hear all sides of an argument and to respect all sides of an argument. I see no place for hateful rants and disrespectful insults. A debate doesn't mean you have to agree with someone. It is okay for opposing views to RESPECTFULLY disagree. I thought a debate was for all sides to share their views and have constructive respectful conversations of their differences. I will now bow out of this debate with YOU and let you be. I will continue to have constructive debates with others while listening and respecting all sides of an issue.