"Anti-Americanism"...what is this critter?

BWShooter

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 01:22 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:

What -if you don't mind to refer to actually posted responses - has a mammouth military to do with freedom - if not in a negative sense?

without a military, you sure as hell dont have freedoms. How is having a defense seen as negative? Confused
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 01:24 pm
BWShooter wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:

What -if you don't mind to refer to actually posted responses - has a mammouth military to do with freedom - if not in a negative sense?

without a military, you sure as hell dont have freedoms. How is having a defense seen as negative? Confused

I would like you to explain to us all how you can imply Canada, Japan, and whowver else was on your list are without freedom.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 01:34 pm
BWShooter wrote:

Defence. I see. Thanks.

But
a) you spoke about just of 'military' and not of defence,
b) you introduced the term "mammoth"
c) do you really think, all the citizens in nations without (great) armed forces are without freedom?
0 Replies

NotTantor

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 02:04 pm
hobitbob wrote:
Quote:
Yet we seem to be the most despised and criticized nation on earth as well. Why? Because we are free? Because we are successful? Because we invented blue jeans? Is it due to contempt born of jealousy as Not Tantor suggested?

I suggest that a quick perusal of post-WWII US foreign policy will answer your question. Wink

Actually, it won't.

We defeated two evil racist tyrannies. Instead of making them slave nations as they did to their victims, we made them economic superpowers and liberal democracies.

I invite you, Hobitbob, to give an example in history of any nation, anywhere, anytime that was so generous in victory to the vanquished as America was to Germany and Japan.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 02:08 pm
NotTantor wrote:
hobitbob wrote:
Quote:
Yet we seem to be the most despised and criticized nation on earth as well. Why? Because we are free? Because we are successful? Because we invented blue jeans? Is it due to contempt born of jealousy as Not Tantor suggested?

I suggest that a quick perusal of post-WWII US foreign policy will answer your question. Wink

Actually, it won't.

We defeated two evil racist tyrannies. Instead of making them slave nations as they did to their victims, we made them economic superpowers and liberal democracies.

I invite you, Hobitbob, to give an example in history of any nation, anywhere, anytime that was so generous in victory to the vanquished as America was to Germany and Japan.

Well, you are being exeptionally disingenous with this last comment, since both England and France deserve equal credit in this respect. What I was referring to was our record of interefering in often democratically elected governments (the case of Mossadegh in Iran in the 1950s is comes immediately to mind) and installing, or supporting tyrants. This is one major reason why many of the people on this small planet distrust the US. Our tendency to support tyranny and oppose democracy is perhaps the least enviable trait of many we as a nation display.
0 Replies

BWShooter

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 05:07 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:

But
a) you spoke about just of 'military' and not of defence,
b) you introduced the term "mammoth"
c) do you really think, all the citizens in nations without (great) armed forces are without freedom?

1. they are the same. Do a google search.
2. why did you choose to focus on that specific word?
3. yes I do because its a fact. Every nation that has a strong military has greater freedom. Point to one which this does not apply.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 05:10 pm
BWShooter wrote:

3. yes I do because its a fact. Every nation that has a strong military has greater freedom. Point to one which this does not apply.

Hmmm....well, the Soviet Union, Nazi Germany, and early Showa Japan spring immediately to mind. Wink
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 05:11 pm
But the question is not what the rest of the world thinks of England and France but what it thinks of the United States.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 05:13 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
But the question is not what the rest of the world thinks of England and France but what it thinks of the United States.

I understand, however the post I responded too posited that the US was unique in its treatment of its defeated foes, and this is obviously untrue.
The question I was responding too was this:
Quote:

The answer, of course, is Britain and France.
0 Replies

BWShooter

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 05:15 pm
hobitbob wrote:
What I was referring to was our record of interefering in often democratically elected governments (the case of Mossadegh in Iran in the 1950s is comes immediately to mind) and installing, or supporting tyrants. This is one major reason why many of the people on this small planet distrust the US. Our tendency to support tyranny and oppose democracy is perhaps the least enviable trait of many we as a nation display.

we cooperate w/ certain tyrants to catch bigger fish, then we go back and snag the less dangerous. I haven't seen you talk about the positive qualities of this country so I am assuming you dont care much for America.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 05:15 pm
BWShooter wrote:
hobitbob wrote:
What I was referring to was our record of interefering in often democratically elected governments (the case of Mossadegh in Iran in the 1950s is comes immediately to mind) and installing, or supporting tyrants. This is one major reason why many of the people on this small planet distrust the US. Our tendency to support tyranny and oppose democracy is perhaps the least enviable trait of many we as a nation display.

we cooperate w/ certain tyrants to catch bigger fish, then we go back and snag the less dangerous. I haven't seen you talk about the positive qualities of this country so I am assuming you dont care much for America.

You know what they say about assuming. Wink
0 Replies

BWShooter

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 05:16 pm
hobitbob wrote:
BWShooter wrote:

Hmmm....well, the Soviet Union, Nazi Germany, and early Showa Japan spring immediately to mind. Wink

they also had a piss poor economy so what was your point, if any?
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 05:18 pm
BWShooter wrote:
hobitbob wrote:
BWShooter wrote:

they also had a piss poor economy so what was your point, if any?

Read your question again, please:
Quote:
Every nation that has a strong military has greater freedom. Point to one which this does not apply.

Are you offended that I pointed to more than one?
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 05:19 pm
BTW, I'm still waiting for your evidence that Iraq and AQ were connected.
0 Replies

BWShooter

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 05:29 pm
hobitbob wrote:
BTW, I'm still waiting for your evidence that Iraq and AQ were connected.
I dont work for the CIA so you'll be waiting for awhile. But, I see you haven't shown me evidence that they are NOT connected. That was to be expected.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 05:34 pm
Again:
1) Hussein's Iraq was a secular Marxist totalitarian state, where religion was rather ruthlessly controlled and oppressed.

2) OBL and his organization called repeatedly for Hussein's death, referring to him as an apostate, and comndemning him for including Christians in his government, including his second in command.

3) The President, Condoleeza Rice, Rummy, Wolfy, etc.. have all stated, on record, that there were no connections between Iraq and AQ, or any Iraqi connections to 11th September, 2001.

Now, again, what is your reason for believing that they are connected? I don't think you have any reason to believe that and merely do not wish to admit this. Prove me wrong. Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 05:35 pm
BTW, did you ever post here as Perception?
0 Replies

Laeknir Scrat

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 10:25 am
BWShooter wrote:
[Every nation that has a strong military has greater freedom. Point to one which this does not apply.

I didn't know Iceland (no military) was enslaved until today.

I'm sooo sooo sad!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 10:28 am
Well, Læknir Scrat, you should say that with more empathy! Otherwise, I could think that was meant ironically! [Pssss, <Walter saying to himself> don't tell anyone that the Islanders used their handball players for invading other countries.] :wink:
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 11:52 am
Not Tantor, I wouldn't mistake you for Tantor in a million years. Your tone and intellect says it all. Thanks for sharing your perspective on this subject. c.i.
0 Replies