Stanford Rapist's Father Issues Despicable Plea for Leniency: 'A Steep Price to Pay for 20 Minutes o

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2016 06:43 am
Stanford Rapist's Father Issues Despicable Plea for Leniency: 'A Steep Price to Pay for 20 Minutes of Action'
This statement to the judge at Brock Turner's sentencing is a stunning example of rape culture in action.
By Mary Elizabeth Williams / Salon
June 6, 2016

http://www.alternet.org/gender/stanford-rapists-father-has-horrible-defense-his-actions

Here is how Brock Turner’s father describes his son: “very gentle and quiet.” Here is how he describes what Turner did, in January of 2015, to an unconscious young woman: “20 minutes of action.” But here’s what the justice system calls him:A convicted felon. Here’s what he will someday become: A registered sex offender. And here are some very specific words about he’s now convicted of: Assault with intent to commit rape of an intoxicated or unconscious person. Sexual penetration of an intoxicated person. Sexual penetration of an unconscious person.

Last week in California, Judge Aaron Perksy sentenced the former Stanford student — whose once promising swimming career has been repeatedly trotted out in the press coverage of the case — to six months in county jail and probation for his actions, saying, “A prison sentence would have a severe impact on him… I think he will not be a danger to others.” In response, Turner’s unnamed victim issued a lengthy statement directly to him that she then shared with Buzzfeed. In it, she describes how she went to a party with her sister, and “drank liquor too fast.” The next thing she recalls is waking up on a gurney in a hospital, and that, later, “I read that according to him, I liked it. I liked it.” She writes that “He has done irreversible damage to me and my familyduring the trial and we have sat silently, listening to him shape the evening. But in the end, his unsupported statements and his attorney’s twisted logic fooled no one. The truth won, the truth spoke for itself. You are guilty…. He is a lifetime sex registrant. That doesn’t expire. Just like what he did to me doesn’t expire, doesn’t just go away after a set number of years. It stays with me, it’s part of my identity, it has forever changed the way I carry myself, the way I live the rest of my life.” The letter has been viewed nearly five million times.
ADVERTISING

But now another letter has been making the rounds — one written to the judge by Dan A. Turner, Brock’s father. In it, he says he is son is “truly sorry for what occurred,” has remorse for “his actions,” had “never been violent to anyone including his actions on the night of January 17th, 2015,” and, most staggeringly, that “His life will never be the one that he dreamed about and worked so hard to achieve. That is a steep price to pay for 20 minutes of actionout of his 20 plus years of life.” The poor young lad, according to his father, also is no longer enthused about eating “a big ribeye steak” and now “eats only to exist.”

Mr. Turner understandably wants mercy for his own child. But doesn’t seem to wonder what it’s been like for the woman he harmed, a woman who has written that “My independence, natural joy, gentleness, and steady lifestyle I had been enjoying became distorted beyond recognition. I became closed off, angry, self deprecating, tired, irritable, empty.” He doesn’t even say what his son did, referring to a sustained sexual assault as merely an “action.”

Last week, the Mercury News’ Scott Herhold offered a similar argument, lamenting that “It’s hard to review this case without concluding that it has roots in a culture of campus drinking, the unindicted co-conspirator here” and that “there is a temptation to see the Turner case as a chance to send a message, rather than to weigh all the messy human elements involved,” because Turner’s sentence “effectively closes many career avenues. It’s a permanent blight.”

Yet as Turner’s victim herself explains, “Alcohol was not the one who stripped me, fingered me, had my head dragging against the ground, with me almost fully naked….Regretting drinking is not the same as regretting sexual assault. We were both drunk, the difference is I did not take off your pants and underwear, touch you inappropriately, and run away.”

This is what, unfortunately, needs to be said again and again. Lots of people drink to excess and manage to not assault anybody. And there’s no time constraint on committing a horrible crime. You can end a life with a bullet in a fraction of a second. You can severely damage a body with a series of blows in less than a minute. And in twenty minutes, a person can push out a baby, cross a finish line, go from single to married, blow up a building, torture a political prisoner. Or, in Turner’s case, take another person’s security and dignity. Twenty minutes was enough time to permanently change one woman’s life. But I’ll agree with Dan Turner on this — the fact that his son now only faces six months of jail does indeed prove that for some things, the given span of time is much too short.

Mary Elizabeth Williams is a staff writer for Salon and the author of "Gimme Shelter: My Three Years Searching for the American Dream." Follow her on Twitter: @embeedub.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 1,452 • Replies: 21

engineer

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2016 07:08 am
@bobsal u1553115,
I saw an article that the judge is facing recall over the six month sentence he gave the guy.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2016 07:23 am
@bobsal u1553115,
I may agree with the article. I disagree with the use of the word "despicable" to attack the father. I don't think this demonization of a father speaking up for his child is reasonable.

Do you have children Bobsal? Do you love them?

Would you not beg for leniency if your child were in this circumstance?

Criticizing the judge is legitimate. Criticizing parents for standing by their children is ridiculously vindictive.

This public shaming is not warranted.

boomerang

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2016 08:59 am
@maxdancona,
I think if the father had said "20 minutes of inexplicable, inexcusable conduct" instead of "20 minutes of action" this wouldn't even be in the press.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2016 09:14 am
Many other similar cases end with no conviction or even prosecution. I don't know how they are going to make the system work equally for women. The system, as it is, is geared to excuse these 20 minutes of action situations as often as possible.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2016 09:23 am
@boomerang,
I see that.

It isn't very often that middle class fathers need a PR expert to edit their writing. In this case, it would have been worth the money.
engineer

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2016 11:04 am
@maxdancona,
I think the question is "did the father say what he meant to say?" Honestly, he probably did. I'm sure the son told him everything was consensual and he was being framed and he was innocent and all and the father believes him. The evidence in this case is really ridiculously one sided with witnesses and all, but parents are parents and as Max said, parents are going to lean pretty hard to their children. Did the father completely ignore the seriousness of what his son did? Yes. Is that atypical behavior for a parent? Not really.

I think the real question is "what on Earth was the judge thinking??"
bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2016 11:24 am
@engineer,
All from upper middle class families with student athletes. Six months is not enough. I wonder what dad's opinion would have been if the rapist son had been a raped daughter instead.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2016 11:26 am
@maxdancona,
Any dad who enourages his son to not face up to a criminal responsibility is despicable. Supporting and getting off are not synonymous.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2016 11:30 am
@engineer,
Quote:
Honestly, he probably did. I'm sure the son told him everything was consensual and he was being framed and he was innocent and all and the father believes him.

You are sure of this? How do you know this?

Quote:
I think the real question is "what on Earth was the judge thinking??"

I agree with this.
engineer

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2016 11:55 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:
Honestly, he probably did. I'm sure the son told him everything was consensual and he was being framed and he was innocent and all and the father believes him.

You are sure of this? How do you know this?

I'm giving the father the benefit of the doubt (and the son has maintained his innocence publicly). If he really believed that his son did what he is accused of and still sent the judge that letter, I'd be a lot less sympathetic to the father.
boomerang

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2016 12:53 pm
@engineer,
I'm sympathetic to the father. I think it's every parent's worst nightmare to have their kid accused and convicted of such a horrible crime. I can't even imagine how awful it would be to see my kid ruin his life and someone else's in a matter of minutes.

But his choice of using the word "action" was almost unbelievably bad. Really, it was nearly as bad as if he'd said "20 minutes of fun". That he chose that word makes me much less sympathetic.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2016 01:39 pm
@boomerang,
Also, the trial is just now over, and began in March, more than a year after the assault. Dad had time to think before that writing that letter with the 20 minutes of action phrasing. I am more sympathetic to the father than the judge, by a smidge.

All this also shines a poor light on Stanford, a university whose existence I appreciate. No, I've never been there, but was Stanford adjacent a bunch of years ago, for a cup of coffee in an nearby shopping center. Mainly I remember some friends from my small high school going there, a big feat at the time, and remember my well praised surgeon was and is on their staff. Let me guess she is not at all happy about all this weird but deserved notoriety. I won't both her by emailing her, busy woman, but if I'm sympathetic to a group, it is the other people at Stanford, and primarily to the victim. Oh, and the attorney acting to have the judge removed.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2016 01:49 pm
@boomerang,
The sentence is outrageous for the crime. This should have resulted in at least 6 years in prison.

I think the outrage should be focused on the judge.

Witnesses for the defense have the right to make their case, and this is just a father, not anyone who has knowledge or experience making public statements on a matter of outrage. In a court there are always two sides (even in cases like this). One side wants the maximum sentence. The other side wants the minimum sentence. That is how the system works.

The responsibility to get this right rests solely on the judge. And the judge screwed up.

0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2016 08:09 pm
@boomerang,
Don't you think that this is the result of white male upper class privilege?
ossobuco

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2016 08:19 pm
@ossobuco,
Reply to self, I can see where the son gets his points of view.

I get why the judge shillyshallied, the kid could be hit on in a real prison. But most others don't get that "courtesy".

No fair.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2016 04:24 am
http://yourblackworld.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Brian_banks.jpg

Wrongfully Convicted Black Man Who Spent 5 Years in Prison for Rape Comments on White Student’s Lenient Sentence

Brian Banks was a high school football star with his whole life ahead of him when a false rape allegation landed him in prison. Banks, who has since been cleared of the charges, can be counted among those who are outraged by the lenient sentence handed down to a white swimmer convicted of rape.

Stanford swimmer Brock Turner was by all accounts an all-American student before he was convicted of sexual assault. Turner had been facing up to 14 years in prison, with prosecutors requesting he be sentenced to six.

Judge Aaron Persky, however, dismissed both the sentencing guidelines and the recommendations of prosecutors in sentencing 23-year-old Turner to six months in prison for assaulting a female student behind a dumpster. It is likely that with good behavior, Turner will be out of jail in only six months.

snip:

“I would say it’s a case of privilege,” Banks said. “It seems like the judge based his decision on lifestyle. He’s lived such a good life and has never experienced anything serious in his life that would prepare him for prison. He was sheltered so much he wouldn’t be able to survive prison. What about the kid who has nothing, he struggles to eat, struggles to get a fair education? What about the kid who has no choice who he is born to and has drug-addicted parents or a non-parent household? Where is the consideration for them when they commit a crime?”

Although the judge was empathetic to Turner, Banks said the judge in his case couldn’t have cared less.

http://yourblackworld.net/2016/06/07/wrongfully-convicted-black-man-who-spent-5-years-in-prison-for-rape-comments-on-white-students-lenient-sentence/
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2016 05:03 am
http://yourblackworld.net/2016/06/07/dr-sinclair-grey-iii-can-white-male-privilege-ever-come-to-an-end/

Dr. Sinclair Grey III – Can ‘White Male Privilege’ Ever Come To An End?

These ‘so-called United States of America’ has always played favorites. Even though many have seen as well as witnessed some of the strides people from all walks of life have accomplished, there is without a doubt the notion that ‘white male privilege’ is still dominant. Let me say it this way. Whenever ‘white male privilege’ gets to flex its muscle, either financially, politically, and in the recent case of Brock Turner, judicially, people are reminded that we have a long way to go to see justice and equality.

The recent sentencing of Brock Turner to only six months in jail by Judge Michael Aaron Persky shows how corrupt our criminal justice system continues to be. Think about it for a moment. Black and Brown people are convicted and sentenced to longer sentences for much lesser crimes than the sentence Turner received after being convicted of rape. There is no justification towards the leniency Judge Persky handed down to this rapist. A letter from the father stating his son had no prior legal troubles contributed to the judge’s decision. In addition to that, it should be noted that Judge Persky was probably looking out for a fellow Stanford student. How deep is alumni loyalty to a fellow student who commits the crime of rape and gets off with a slap on the wrist?

America needs to wake up and address the disparity of handing down prison sentences. No one is so naive as to think there isn’t any difference in how Blacks, Whites, and Latinos are sentenced. Those who have the financial means are afforded the best attorney’s and resources while those who don’t have the financial means or should I say (the have not’s) are stuck with insufficient representation.

What’s so troubling in this ‘white male privilege’ case of Brock Turner is that the victim has to relive her nightmare. Often times, the ‘white male privilege’ syndrome doesn’t care who it/he hurts. It’s all about self-gratification. Let’s be real for a second. ‘White male privilege’ is alive and well. Because it’s alive and well, it will crush, degrade, and demean anyone and anything that gets in its way. As soon as those who are not privileged to that upper echelon come to grips with this idea, perhaps change will happen.

boomerang

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2016 06:47 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
Don't you think that this is the result of white male upper class privilege?

Oh, hell yes.

One thing I read that I thought was interesting is how all the stories about this kid used his school photos and sports photos instead of his mugshot. They did the same thing with Owen Labrie -- used his nerdy courtroom photos instead of his mugshot. If you google image search either one of them you do find their mugshots but their outnumbered by "nice boy" photos by a long shot. I don't think that happens by accident.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2016 07:05 am
Someone posted elsewhere that in cases like this the female victim is often judged on her past. What do we know of her sexual history? Was she promiscuous? Had she been drinking?

The male criminal's behaviour is judged on his future potential, in this case a possible Olympic swimmer.

Shouldn't it be the other way round?
0 Replies