Stanford Rapist's Father Issues Despicable Plea for Leniency: 'A Steep Price to Pay for 20 Minutes o

maxdancona

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2016 07:10 am
@bobsal u1553115,
This is bullshit! White male privilege?

White privilege is a real thing. It is a mathematical fact that Black people get higher prison sentences than White people for the same crime. It is almost certain that had the perpetrator been Black, he or she would have had a significantly higher sentence.

Male privilege has nothing to do with this. It is also a fact that men get higher prison sentences that women for the same crime. Do you really think that had the perpetrator in this case been a woman, that the sentence would have been higher?

There was a real crime here. And, the sentence was a travesty.

That doesn't make the ideological ranting any more rational.

White women in our society are privileged.. Salaries, incarceration rates, education, housing, chance of being hired, conviction rates, treatment by police, health care....

... in every way White Women are far more privileged then Black men.

(I don't know why ideologues need to Black men into this story anyway.)
maxdancona

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2016 08:54 am
@maxdancona,
Just to make it clear, I am objecting to the confirmation bias in the reaction to this story. There are facts, and there are reasonable reactions. And then there is political ideology. It is not reasonable when ideological narrative eclipses facts.

The facts (as I see them) are.

1. A crime was committed. It was a pretty horrible crime with a victim.
2. There was a guilty verdict and no one is questioning the facts of the case.
3. The judge gave a minimum sentence that we all agree was horrible.

There are legitimate issues here. Pretty clearly our society at large is outraged at the sentencing. I don't hear anyone on national media or in society at large defending the judge. There are calls to fire him. Very clearly our society is not accepting this rape, nor is it accepting this light sentencing.

Minimum sentencing for judges is an issue. Maybe judges should be forced by law to sentence rapists to at least 6 years. Of course, minimum sentencing causes other problems... liberals are often on both sides of this issue. You can't support minimum sentencing only for the cases that you agree with politically.

I think White privilege is a real issue. This is a fact-based issue. I don't think any of us disagree that Black perpetrators of any crime are sentenced worse than any other perpetrator.

Does anyone here think I have the facts wrong?

Rationally looking at the facts and the issues surrounding this case is a useful exercise. These ideological rants that leave the facts to push forward a political narrative aren't useful.

Confirmation bias is not intellectually useful.
0 Replies