Ivan! Jeanne! & Karl & Dennis The Menace & Katrina

sozobe

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 08:57 am
(But you have new jobs! That's cool.)
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 09:05 am
Cool. They have moved her further east since 11:20 last night.

New jobs, yes! Short term two month liquidation, but an opportunity to make a lot of money quickly. We are pretty psyched about that. Would be nice to have a financial cushion again.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 09:07 am
Oh, you guys so need that.

Great.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 09:14 am
great news all around, there, squinney - nice to hear some good stuff is falling your way.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 09:53 am
Good times, girl. I'm willing the tramp further East.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 11:38 am
Squinney
Good news about the damn huricane and jobs. Money, money, money!

How are the puppies?

BBB
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 12:47 pm
I must have missed something. Squinney and Bear have gotten jobs as "liquidators?" In NC? Chicago or NY, I could understand, but hitpersons in Raleigh?
Ophelia is parked, moving nary at all. The gov of NC has, I heard, declared a state of emergency for the coastal area, It could be nothing if it turns east. I hope so.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 02:09 pm
RJB - You know Bears always up for a "hit."

Interesting article in our paper today indicating we wouldn't likely fair any better than Louisiana for a storm the size of Katrina. But, first responders have an understanding that they are on their own and not to depend on federal support for at least first 72 hours.

Concern for evacuations for a Cat 4 or 5 are cropping up, though. Plans currently in place are only for evacuating about 25% of the counties populations. While Raleigh is looking at an agreement with city bus company to commandeer buses, a couple of other counties already have that agreement in place.

No doubt other east coast states are re-evaluating their emergency plans.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 01:48 pm
Ophelia, we feel ya!

First outer bands over head with gusts of up to about 20 mph. Light rain. Just went outside. She smells like Spring rain. Sweet, fresh cut grass, little salty / beachy tinge. I'm sure she would smell different if I knew she was a real threat.

Brought the pups in who were having a major fit over water falling from the sky onto their little heads!
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 01:58 pm
we got a little sprinkle here in va beach. i think we are only getting gusts of about 15mph (a little much don't you think). however, governor warner has already declared a state of emergency and so has bush...guess they want to be ready in case! little overreaction from katrina i am sure. we aren't supposed to take a full on hit, but we are going to get the northeast side of her as she supposedly turns and heads out to sea over the outerbanks.

however, we are buying a generator since our neighborhood is notorious for losing power in strong thunderstorms...i figure 60mph winds and 7 inches of rain which they are predicting for us...yeah we gonna lose power. bernie isn't going to know what to do, he hates thunderstorms. i had to lay with him in the back of my car under a blanket during isabel-dont ask me, he wouldn't get out of the car. oh the car was in the garage, we weren't outside in the car...
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 02:12 pm
Ahhh. Poor Bernie. What a loving Mommy for you to do that for him.

Are you CP&L / Progress Energy or Duke Power? With CP&L / Progress we may lose power with 15 mph gusts at any time of the year. Pathetic service here.

Stay safe and dry. 60 mph winds are no joke. They were only about 70 when Fran came through and I know what that did! So, keep in touch as Ophelia moves in.

I'll pm our number in case you need it.
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 02:16 pm
we are dominion Va power. problem by us is that we have massive amounts of those pine trees that are super skinny and have branches only at the top. they tend to take out power lines rather well. the general sense around here isn't that chaotic...its rather calm. everyone keeps saying, this isn't isabel!!!

better not be, because during isabel, a pine tree fell on the house we live in now...although...then maybe i could replace all the windows in the house...
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 02:17 pm
Overreaction? I don't think so, dragon. This storm is not big and ferocious like Katrina but it is so...slow...moving. The amount of rain that could fall on the coastal region of SC-NC-VA could be pretty significant. A lot of rain. A lot of rain.
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 02:21 pm
yeah that is what got us with isabel. it rained so long ahead of the big winds that all the trees uprooted not broke in half. (oops i had to delete double post).
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 02:38 pm
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT16/refresh/AL1605W_sm2+gif/150141W_sm.gif
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 02:45 pm
so it shows us in tropical storm watch area...seriously...what exactly does that mean? (i am not kidding) the guy from lowes just told me ophelia wasn't coming anywhere near us so he doesn't know why i would need a generator...
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 03:23 pm
If you think you might ever need one, still best to get it while it's normal price instead of waiting to get gouged.

What always amazes me is that these things can be so far offshore and still be throwing wind and rain, no matter how mild, all of the way to Raleigh. The size of hurricanes, their reach, is what still amazes me even after 18 years in NC.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 03:43 pm
I live in the mid-west and own a generator.

We have underground power lines and it can takes hours/days to get our power restored when it goes out. We alternate power between the frig/freezer, stand-alone freezer, and sump pump as needed.

I'm with Squinney, get it while they're available.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 04:53 pm
BBB
Hey! hurricane dodgers, please stay in tough with us so we know you are all OK as long as you have power and it's safe to have your computers on. We worry about the dogs----and you.

BBB
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 05:10 pm
i think what is so funny is that the guy at Lowe's was like...you don't need one...not gonna hit us...we bought one at home depot...that'll show them. Smile it is strong enough to power the fridge and kegerator (of the utmost importance!).

oh...the dog will go wherever i go, i don't care what anyone says. the guy that lives across the street from my parents-his house is all steel beams instead of wood framing...yeah when bad stuff happens...we will go there (it is supposedly hurricane proof).

have they update the path of ophelia yet?
0 Replies