Ivan! Jeanne! & Karl & Dennis The Menace & Katrina

ossobuco

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 05:26 pm
I read Control of Nature years ago.. it made a difference in my thinking.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 05:29 pm
I will have to go back, bumblebee, and re-read the posts. But Johnboy is a Virginia gentleman and would never make a personal attack on another poster. My point, and I am sticking by it, is that as much as I oppose the war that Mr Bush is running in Iraq, the notion that we have stripped the US of the military assiistance needed in the homeland is nonsense.
(Johnboy expects to be invited over to Lash's house or Timberlandko's for brandy, but that would probably result in the revocation of my ACLU membership).
I think that a lot of folks on the local, state and national level are trying to cope with this as best as they can. Yes, dys makes some good points about bad decisions that were made in the past. I hope that, once they recover all the bodies and rescue all the people off of the roofs, we will learn something about urban design.

BTW, osso has a thread entitled "Land Use Thread - What's Wrong With Cities." It is a bit dry and she and I are the only posters, but it does get into things like gas prices and urban design. Please check it out. With gas pump prices hitting $3.00 a gallon, some of the discussion is no longer hypothetical. -rjb
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 05:29 pm
I missed a bunch of posts while I was trying to fix my own.

geez, a spider is going up and down the right side of my screen, I gotta go.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 05:31 pm
There are certain books that I fall into and do not regain conciousness of the world about me until I've finished it, in one setting. That was one of them.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 05:53 pm
I still remember the mudslide opening paragraph..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 05:58 pm
Thanks for the bump on that, Realjohnboy. Well, that thread is eight pages long now, with a lot of links on land use issues, some more important or interesting than others. The last set of links had a quiet little piece on 'what's wrong with cities', so that's on page eight. I'll go get a link and be back.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 05:58 pm
dupe, sorry.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 06:00 pm
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=49823&highlight=

That's the land use thread. I change the end of the title each time I add new links (or if anyone else does) in order to give a clue what the latest subjects of the links are.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 06:08 pm
realjohnboy wrote:

(Johnboy expects to be invited over to Lash's house or Timberlandko's for brandy, but that would probably result in the revocation of my ACLU membership).

Lash and Timber almost never agree with me politically, but I bet they would have me over for brandy and they are always welcome over at my place as well :-D
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 06:13 pm
<kisses and liquors up Montana and johnboy>

Johnboy, I did appreciate that walk you took on the wild side. You are definitely welcomed to stay a while....

Smile
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 06:24 pm
<Smooches back to Lash> :-D
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 07:41 pm
Come to think of it, I've never seen Johnboy as anything other than a gentleman.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 07:51 pm
Me either.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 07:58 pm
Re BBB's point, I do see a stretching of the national guard, but I am not sure re the exact situation re numbers.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 08:23 pm
Yer all weccum to stop by Castle Timber to enjoy a drop of your favorite libation - if what you want ain't here, I'll go get it - be patient, though; the nearest decent liquor store is about a 1-hour round-trip). Got plenty of land to use, too - bring a tent or a camper if ya wanna. You're on your own for vittles, firewood, and shower facillities, though.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 08:24 pm
i got dibbs on the hot tub...
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 08:27 pm
There's room for about 6 or 8 in the hot tub - depending on how freindly they wanna be. Its pretty comfortably relaxing with 4.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 08:31 pm
On looting, I demur from my earlier post about it as an admittedly vexing sign of human life in a complex tragedy, since I read this -

"Outside one pharmacy, thieves commandeered a forklift and used it to push up the storm shutters and break through the glass."

Can't give the link since google just changed its list of titles and I can't find it.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 08:34 pm
Quote:
Looters used garbage cans and inflatable mattresses to float away with food, blue jeans, tennis shoes, TV sets - even guns. Outside one pharmacy, thieves commandeered a forklift and used it to push up the storm shutters and break through the glass. The driver of a nursing-home bus surrendered the vehicle to thugs after being threatened.

(link)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 08:35 pm
<although, there are elements of comedy in that. Comedy as horrific.>
0 Replies