Ivan! Jeanne! & Karl & Dennis The Menace & Katrina

squinney

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 02:49 pm
Quote:
Hurricane Katrina damage worse than expected
By Sheila McNulty in Houston and Carola Hoyos and Thomas Catan in London
Published: August 30 2005 20:24 | Last updated: August 30 2005 20:24

The damage from Hurricane Katrina has been worse than expected, initial assessments showed yesterday, prompting a new rise in oil prices to record levels and raising concerns about the cost of insurance in the Gulf of Mexico.

Industry sources said that one big underwriter had already stopped providing business-interruption insurance in the Gulf and others warned that rising storm losses would lead to premiums so high that insuring platforms could become uneconomic.

Damage assessments on Tuesday suggested that it could take a week to restart refineries hit by the hurricane at a time when supplies already are tight.

Scores feared dead in Katrina's wake

Rescuers on Tuesday searched for survivors across the swathe of US Gulf coast devastated by Hurricane Katrina, with scores of people feared dead and tens of thousands left homeless.

In the US, Nymex crude hit $70.85, 5c higher than the highest price on Monday, and a new nominal high. Nymex gasoline futures hit a new record of $2.41 a gallon, up 35 cents.

The human toll of the hurricane began to emerge as flood waters subsided on Tuesday. Haley Barbour, governor of Mississippi, said at least 80 people were feared dead in his state alone, while in New Orleans, Louisiana, bodies were seen floating in the floodwater. Local officials declared martial law in New Orleans and south-east Louisiana to assist with the relief effort.

George W. Bush, president, cut short his holiday to return to Washington on Wednesday to help monitor federal efforts to help the rescue and reconstruction effort. "We've got a lot of work to do," he said.

More than 1m people between Louisiana and Florida were left without electricity and power companies said it could be two months before service was fully restored.

Pricing pressure builds as oil majors count the cost of Katrina

As the oil industry on Tuesday assessed damage done by Hurricane Katrina to rigs, pipelines and refineries in the Gulf of Mexico, pressure continued to build on oil and gas prices.

Some companies estimated it might be a week or longer before they resumed refining operations in the area hit by the hurricane that blew through the heart of US oil country on Monday.

"If we can put offshore production up again, but we have no refineries, the oil will be worthless," said Adam Sieminski of Deutsche Bank.

Initial reports point to sustained outages at several refineries in Louisiana and Mississippi. Nine refineries in the two states are shut, reducing capacity by 1.774m barrels of crude oil a day, about 9 per cent of the US's total capacity.

The extent of the damage to underwater pipelines and anchoring systems was unknown but the discovery of at least two rigs that had broken their moorings indicated the probable extent of the industry's problems. Insurance companies estimate the damage from Katrina could be $26bn almost as much as the total from last year's four hurricanes in the Gulf. Oil companies have become increasingly vulnerable to hurricane losses as they move further offshore into the Gulf of Mexico.

"A lot of underwriters are reviewing their positions in that area, deciding whether they want to write the business," said Tim Fillingham, who runs Aon UK's energy practice.

Financial Times
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 02:52 pm
As of about thirty minutes ago, they are estimating 25 Billion in claims to be filed.

Business Week
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 02:58 pm
More than Andrew...23 billion
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 02:58 pm
One of my managers guesstimated yesterday that it will be above 30 billion.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 03:03 pm
Here's a link to Washington Post coverage that has a photo gallery.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/?g=1

Worst of times, best of humankind.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 03:03 pm
eoe
eoe wrote:
BBB, my husband said the same thing last night. We could use that money and those troops right here right now.

Smart man, your husband - sad but true. Osama bin Laden must be cheering because his stated goal is to bankrupt the U.S.

BBB
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 03:32 pm
Just listening to the news, and the reporter said that Katrina could be the worst natural disaster in U.S. history. My God!
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 04:11 pm
I went to bed yesterday thinking that maybe, just maybe, this wouldn't be too bad. But overnight, and all day today, the news has gotten worse. Much worse.
The impact on the folks in MS, AL, and LA is dreadful. It could be weeks, nay months, before there is any return to something resembling normalcy in terms of housing, utilities, schools etc. If the 26 Billion is right, it will be years.

When Johnboy went to work yesterday morning, the price of regular gas was, at one station, $2.47/gallon. On my way home, the same station was at $2.57/gal. This morning: $2.63/gal.

As was mentioned before by another poster, please consider sending some $$$ to the Red Cross, or the Salvation Army, or some other charity.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 04:24 pm
and Letty just paid $2. 81 for regular. BBB is right. We're headed for hard times all around, but nothing is as bad as it is for those poor people in the gulf states.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 04:45 pm
Oh no.

Levees break. French Quarter filling with water. Some pictures of NO underwater.

Clickable links to up to date information.

So sad.

Hundreds feared dead. Worse than Camille.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 04:53 pm
and once again, it is the poor who lost the most, and looting and anarchy reign.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 05:16 pm
More Katrina aftermath.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 06:10 pm
Pic of rooftops peeking out of floodwater.
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 07:15 pm
sorry if this was already posted...didn't go back through the thread...i found the first few pics amazing...well, devastatingly amazing... hope everyone is ok!

usa today katrina coverage
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 08:01 pm
I can't believe this. Emergency news from Gov in LA--Everyone get out. The other levee is failing. The entire city is going to be deep underwater. It will be a hazardous area for months.

This is what we thought would happen, but didn't. It has now.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 08:03 pm
awful.
just awful...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 08:12 pm
Oh no.

I woke up the past few mornings scared to read that news, and when Katrina passed (what's left of her is raining on me at the moment), relaxed a little.

Awful indeed.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 04:53 am
This just keeps getting worse. I've been watching CNN for the past 3 days and when you think it can't get any worse, they say that there's going to be another 15 ft of water coming in by this afternoon.
All those poor people and animals are homeless with no place to go and my heart bleeds for them.

I am also extremely frustrating at hearing about all the people who were actually able to evacuate, but chose to ride it out. This made it 10 times as bad for the resue workers and many lives were lost because those workers could not get to them in time. I was amazed at how many people who decided to ride this out had children. It's one thing to risk your own life, but you've got to get your kids out of harms way!
When people see a storm the size of this one coming, please get the hell out of there!
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 05:05 am
the animals are more likely to survive in those conditions than the people...
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 05:08 am
I am very sorry for those poor poeple in New Orleans and other afflicted regions.

New Orleans is a great place in multiple ways.

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/6137/frenchquater3kd.png
(French Quarter)
0 Replies