Ivan! Jeanne! & Karl & Dennis The Menace & Katrina

ossobuco

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 09:57 pm
further, I feel badly for those who spent the time they could have used to get out boarding up stuff... if they didn't get out.

(shut up now, osso)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 09:59 pm
One more thing and I'll be quiet. I hope the levees hold, if holding is the best thing for what happens with the water.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 10:17 pm
Katerina, at Category 5, is among the absolute very most powerful of hurricanes, one of only 3 to impact the US since records have been kept. The occurrence of widespread catastrophic damage, barring unexpected and highly improbable change of course and conditions, is inevitable.

Apart from the damage to New Orlean itself, more ominous are the implications of concomitant damge to The Port of Southern Louisiana, largest in the US, and behinf only Singapore, Rotterdam, Shanghai and Hong Kong on ther p;anet. Critical both to The US Economy and The Global Economy, The Port of Southern Louisiana is a 50-some mile stretch of coastal and riverine facillities acounting for the bulk of US Agricultural Exports throughout the world, totalling by dollar-value somewhere in the vicinity of 20% of all US exports. Roughly half the port's shipments go to Europe. Also endangered is The Port of Mobile, itself a significant contributor to both the US and Global economise

US farmers and world markets depend on the port's shipment of grain, processed foodstuffs, and animal feed - with the US annual harvest just weeks from its peak, this comes at a most inopportune time. The domestic and global politico-economic ramifications are quite disturbing. While the loss of life will be nowhere near the scale brought about by last December's tsunami, the global economic impact could be enormous.

Oh, and re the levees - a concern being voiced is that they may in fact contribute to the damage, by inhibiting drainage of flood waters, essentially turning the New Orleans basin into a cesspit of debris, petrochemicals, and sewage - with the occaisional coffin floating about in the muck; many of New Orleans' dead are buried in above-ground crypts.

About the best that can be hoped is that in this instance as in so many others the worst case doesn't happen. There is some encouragement to be found in the latest NOAA report; though she's still a Cat 5, Katrina's winds have weakened slightly over the past 4 hours. Still, is one better off if hit by a 100 car train than if hit by a 110 car train?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 11:26 pm
All of you folks down there, please take care of yourselves. This is the biggest and baddest one anyone of us will probably ever live to see and I'm very worried.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 11:54 pm
Prayng for everyone in New Orleans and along the gulf coast tonight, especially our friends in Algiers, (the West Bank), in Metairie, on the North Shore (in Mandeville and Slidell) and everyone at Acadian Village, in Gulfport. I hope you're all well out of danger tonight ... and have something to come back to in a few days.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 01:07 am
I wish damages to be minimal ..

noaa XML
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 04:18 am
me too...
weather.com: New Orleans Storm Alert wrote:
Severe Weather Alert from the National Weather Service

...HURRICANE KATRINA LOCAL STATEMENT NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW ORLEANS LA 445 AM CDT MON AUG 29 2005
...DIRECT STRIKE OF POTENTIALLY CATASTROPHIC AND LIFE THREATENING HURRICANE EXPECTED LATE TONIGHT AND EARLY MONDAY...

...HURRICANE WARNING IN EFFECT FOR SOUTHEAST LOUISIANA AND COASTAL MISSISSIPPI FROM MORGAN CITY EAST TO THE ALABAMA FLORIDA BORDER....

...WIND GUSTS OVER 100 MPH AT GRAND ISLE LOUISIANA...

...EXTENSIVE AND LIFE THREATENING STORM SURGE FLOODING EXPECTED ALONG THE LOUISIANA AND MISSISSIPPI COAST THIS MORNING...

...AREAS AFFECTED... IN SOUTHEAST LOUISIANA...THE FOLLOWING PARISHES

ASSUMPTION...ST JAMES...ST JOHN THE BAPTIST...ST CHARLES... ST BERNARD...TERREBONNE...ORLEANS...JEFFERSON...PLAQUEMINE... LAFOURCHE...ST TAMMANY...TANGIPAHOA...LIVINGSTON.

IN COASTAL MISSISSIPPI...THE FOLLOWING COUNTIES HANCOCK...HARRISON...JACKSON

...WATCHES AND WARNINGS... A HURRICANE WARNING IS IN EFFECT FROM EAST OF MORGAN CITY EAST TO THE ALABAMA-FLORIDA BORDER AREA. THIS INCLUDES THE METRO NEW ORLEANS AREA...AND THE MISSISSIPPI COAST.

AN INLAND HURRICANE WARNING IS ALSO IN EFFECT FOR AREAS AWAY FROM THE COAST.

A FLOOD WATCH IS IN EFFECT FOR MOST OF SOUTHEAST LOUISIANA AND EXTREME SOUTHERN MISSISSIPPI TONIGHT.

A TORNADO WATCH IS IN EFFECT THROUGH 12 PM CDT.

...STORM INFORMATION... AT 400 AM CDT...THE CENTER OF HURRICANE KATRINA WAS LOCATED NEAR LATITUDE 28.8 NORTH...LONGITUDE 89.6 WEST OR ABOUT 90 MILES SOUTH SOUTHEAST OF NEW ORLEANS...AND ABOUT 120 MILES SOUTH SOUTHWEST OF BILOXI. KATRINA IS MOVING NORTH AT NEAR 15 MPH.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 150 MPH...WITH HIGHER GUSTS. HURRICANE KATRINA IS A CATEGORY FOUR HURRICANE ON THE SAFFIR SIMPSON SCALE. SOME FLUCTUATIONS IN STRENGTH ARE LIKELY AS THE HURRICANE APPROACHES THE COAST. KATRINA IS EXPECTED TO MAKE LANDFALL AS A CATEGORY FOUR HURRICANE.

...PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... PROTECT YOU AND YOUR FAMILY. FOLLOW THE RECOMMENDATIONS OF LOCAL EMERGENCY MANAGERS. WITH THE APPROACH OF HURRICANE FORCE WINDS AND HEAVY SQUALLS...PEOPLE ARE URGED TO SEEK REFUGE OF LAST RESORT IN STRONG...WELL CONSTRUCTED BUILDINGS. IF LIFE THREATENING STORM SURGE FLOODING DEVELOPS...MOVE TO HIGHER FLOORS OR HOUSE ATTICS. BRING TOOLS TO MAKE AN EMERGENCY EXIT SHOULD THESE HIGHER FLOORS OR ATTICS BECOME INUNDATED.

...STORM SURGE FLOOD AND STORM TIDE IMPACTS... KATRINA IS EXPECTED TO MAKE LANDFALL ALONG THE NORTHERN GULF OF MEXICO COAST AS A CATASTROPHIC AND LIFE THREATENING HURRICANE. WHILE EXACT LANDFALL LOCATION IS UNCERTAIN AT THIS TIME...SIGNIFICANT AND LIFE THREATENING STORM SURGE 18 TO 22 FEET ABOVE NORMAL. A FEW AREAS MAY EXPERIENCE STORM SURGE FLOODING AS HIGH AS 28 FEET...ALONG WITH LARGE AND DANGEROUS BATTERING WAVES NEAR AND TO THE EAST OF WHERE THE CENTER MAKES LANDFALL. SEVERE TIDAL FLOODING...WILL ALSO DEVELOP OVER THE TIDAL LAKES OF PONTCHARTRAIN AND MAUREPAS INUNDATING LOW LYING AREAS SURROUNDING THE LAKES.

TIDES ARE RAPIDLY INCREASING ALONG THE SOUTHEAST LOUISIANA COAST... FIVE TO SEVEN FEET ABOVE NORMAL. SEVERE STORM SURGE FLOODING IS EXPECTED DEVELOP THROUGH THE REMAINDER OF THE MORNING ALONG THE COAST AND TIDAL LAKES.

...WIND IMPACTS... KATRINA HAS EVOLVED INTO A LARGE HURRICANE WITH HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTENDING AROUND 100 MILES FROM THE CENTER. TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS ARE OCCURRING OVER MUCH OF THE COASTAL AREA. HURRICANE FORCE WINDS ARE SPREADING INTO COASTAL SOUTHEAST LOUISIANA AT THIS TIME AND WILL MOVE INTO NEW ORLEANS AREA AND MISSISSIPPI COAST IN THE NEXT FEW HOURS. POWER OUTAGES WILL BEGIN TO DEVELOP AND BECOME WIDESPREAD. HURRICANE FORCE WINDS WILL PERSIST OVER MUCH OF THE REGION THROUGH EARLY MONDAY AFTERNOON. AROUND 400 AM THIS MORNING WIND GUSTS AROUND 102 MPH AT GRAND ISLE LOUISIANA.

WINDS ASSOCIATED WITH CATEGORY 4 HURRICANES CAN TOTALLY DESTROY MOBILE HOMES AND POORLY CONSTRUCTED DWELLINGS...AND CAN CAUSE MAJOR DAMAGE TO EVEN WELL CONSTRUCTED BUILDINGS. HIGHER WIND SPEEDS WILL BE SIGNIFICANTLY STRONGER ON UPPER FLOORS OF TALL BUILDINGS CAUSING DAMAGE.

...TORNADOES... A TORNADO WATCH HAS BEEN ISSUED FOR MUCH OF SOUTHEAST LOUISIANA AND COASTAL MISSISSIPPI DUE TO THE THREAT OF TORNADOES.

...RAINFALL... RAINFALL TOTALS OF 8 TO 10 INCHES...WITH ISOLATED MAXIMUM AMOUNTS OF 15 INCHES...ARE POSSIBLE.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 06:08 am
There has been a slight jog to the east. Good news, relatively, for NO, bad news for Biloxi and the rest of Mississippi.

All we can do now is watch and wait and pray. I'm doing all three.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 07:14 am
I was so worried to read this morning about the utter destruction of New Orleans, was very happy to see that it had been reduced to Category 4 and that the worst of it might spare New Orleans.

Don't wish the mayhem on anyone else, either, but if other places are better able to cope...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 07:25 am
following...
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 08:12 am
BBB
bm
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 08:22 am
Holes in the Superdome...

Quote:
By MARY FOSTER, Associated Press Writer 13 minutes ago

NEW ORLEANS - Hurricane Katrina ripped away part of the roof on the Louisiana Superdome as thousands of storm refugees huddled inside Monday.

Strips of metal were peeled away, creating two holes that were visible from the floor of the huge arena. Water dripped in and people were moved away from about five sections of seats directly below.

Others watched as sheets of metal flapped visibly and noisily. From the floor, more than 19 stories below the dome, the openings appeared to be 6 feet long.

"The superdome is not in any dangerous situation," Gov. Kathleen Blanco said.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 08:26 am
Was just coming to link to a similar report

HERE

Quote:
There were early reports of buildings collapsing along the coast, roofs blowing apart and windows flying out in office buildings. New Orleans' Superdome, serving as a shelter for about 10,000 people, lost power and was leaking from the roof, parts of which flew off.

"The roof is deteriorating," said Sen. Mary Landrieu (D- La.) speaking on CNN from a storm command center. But she said officials were confident it would hold.

While the National Weather Service said New Orleans might not be as hard hit as originally feared, it also warned of a grave threat to life and property in coastal regions of Louisiana, Alabama and Mississippi, including New Orleans and Biloxi, Miss.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 08:26 am
Damn.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 08:29 am
I read on the Times-Picayune website ( www.nola.com ) that there are 30,000 people at the Superdome. The electricity went out about 5 am. There's a back-up generator, but it won't operate the air-conditioning. It sounds like a really bad situation there.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 08:35 am
Waiting, hoping....

In the meantime, I have no tv, having stopped my cable access prior to my projected move - I'm giving this tv away and it lolls about now on my front porch. I've even packed my clock radio (hmm, which box...)

So, it's google and this thread for me.

Not much very recent info on google when I first looked about a half hour ago.
The first thing I did read there mentioned the city as filled with termite ridden wood structures, just as that Harper's article laid out. Even if the city is spared the most extreme winds, repercussions of this fragility will go on for years, and the problem with the levee will have to be faced.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 08:55 am
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y84/patchworkpiecer/dome1.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y84/patchworkpiecer/dome3.jpg

Report - MSNBC Video: Holes in Superdome Roof (Windows Media Player/broadband recommended)

MSNBC Video: Biloxi Live Coverage (Windows Media Player/broadband recommended)

New Orleans Times-Picayune Home Page Updated info, many links

NOAA New Orleans/Baton Rouge Radar
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 10:43 am
According to AP a levee has breached, I think on the south side of the city.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 03:43 pm
Well, I'm sure glad it diminished in intensity...
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 03:55 pm
It would seem New Orleans dodged the bullet - at least so far. Over the next 24-48 hours there will be plenty of Aftermath News, and the impact of the storm as she moves inland and Northeastward is going to be significant. Its far from over, though perhaps the worst is past, and the worst that could have happened didn't come to pass.
0 Replies