Ivan! Jeanne! & Karl & Dennis The Menace & Katrina

Diane

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 09:20 pm
Misti, your pictures are beautiful. Isn't it amazing that in nature, violence can be beautiful but not in any human event.

OBill, I'll bet you'll be that nice young man from now on. We should all raise a glass to your good deeds and we'll get you anything you would like to drink.

Now all we need is to hear from Panzade. Then I'll be able to relax. Oh, has anyone heard from Phoenix?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 10:05 pm
That breathing thing is true for fences too...
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 10:17 pm
Made it through ok
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 10:31 pm
YAY Panzade!!

Dys and I are on our way to Denver tomorrow to see BigDice and Urs who have flown in from Germany--Urs has a business meeting there and then they are using vacation time. We'll also get to see Roger. We won't be back until next Tuesday, so will all you Floridians PLEASE try not to have anymore hurricanes? Enough already! I don't want to have to keep worrying about you. (And I imagine all of you don't want to have to live through anymore of the monsters.) Woops, I guess living through a hurricane is better than the alternative...
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 10:46 pm
Misti - I was looking at the map today - taked to a guy very near you on the indian river? The lost the roof on the business. You guys on the mainland or barrier island part? If that's a dumb question sorry.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 06:46 am
Glad you're back Panzade, hope everything is OK.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 08:43 am
Good to see you Panz! Smile Thanks for checking in.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 10:23 am
Glad to see the Panz.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 10:43 am
Phoenix hasn't posted for a week. I can't recall if anyone's heard from her...
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 10:46 am
Mac, Phoenix is in New York. Did my thread about "Let us know when you'll be away get lost"?
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 10:46 am
Thanks Letty! I was worried for a minute there...
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 12:14 pm
Cool. Me too.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 02:45 pm
Well, there's crow feathers all over my face. My prediction on the severity of Jeanne was way off. Folks, this baby roared over my neighborhood...I mean direct hit.
What was really weird was that the wind was blowing so hard over the power lines that a bluish violet light suffused the sky. Then at 1 am the eye passed over us and it became deathly still. I looked up in the sky and saw a nearly full moon.
At 3 am the winds started again and this time our neighbors luck ran out . Their back porch collapsed tearing a huge hole in their roof. At the same time one of our trees fell on their main roof.
We were lucky. About 20 shingles torn off and 10 feet of soffet on the ground. Everything weak or loose had already been cleared by Frances.

I would say that of the thirty houses on our street, ten have some damage, 5 have bad leaks and 2 are condemned by the health dept. One couple left for Pennsylvania and never came back. Their house sits there with bare plywood and collapsed ceilings, waiting for the bank to take it over.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 03:52 pm
Rough stuff Panz. I'm glad you faired pretty well. My last submission (got lost somehow) to you was that I think we slipped this one Laughing ... because the news had decided it was turning North. Shocked
Then the power went out. :wink:
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 04:11 pm
Glade you made it through safe and sound. The news coming out of your area Monday morning did not sound good.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 08:19 pm
Thanks for the report, pan. Glad you are okay but its sad about your Neighborhood (capital N intended).
Do you reckon its over now or do yall want to to try to break the record for the most hurricanes to hit one state in a single year? FL is tied with TX (1896) at four.
rjb
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 08:27 pm
No Mas No Mas!
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 08:29 pm
Husker, we're on the barrier island.

RJB, no more hurricanes, we're all hurricaned out! People can't afford to keep evacuating every weekend, that stuff gets expensive:(

One of our major intersections on my way to work was so dangerous and there were so many accidents because the traffic lights are inoperable, the police had to put a barricade up to stop people from making left turns ... and going straight across the highway. Now you have to make a right turn, go to the turn-around, make a 180 and backtrack, but I guess it's better than having accidents. I guess people get confused by 4-way stops?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 08:31 pm
What a wicked ride you've had down there!
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 08:36 pm
Hurricane Backlash

While Florida's economy will get the biggest jolt from the improbable string of hurricanes this year, consumers around the country may notice the effects in coming weeks and months when they buy a gallon of gas, a carton of orange juice or a bag of peanuts.

The storms seem likely to impact Americans outside Florida in a variety of ways, most of them subtle, but a few with potentially bigger consequences.

A rebuilding boom could suck construction materials and labor southward, pushing up prices in the rest of the country. While Florida's insurance market has its own disaster fund, damage elsewhere could cause companies to raise premiums. And Florida's tourism woes could further harm already teetering airlines, perhaps forcing them to pull out of even more markets.
0 Replies