The Atheist Case For Recreational Drug Use

Leadfoot

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 04:06 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
You're asking people to take your question seriously but you seem to dismiss all the serious answers you get. It opinions are going to handled in a high handed way, it's a pointless endeavor. Good luck
I think osso and infra are the only ones to give serious answers to the question (timur was only semi serious) of recreational drug use and I gave them reasoned responses to their points, not 'high handed dismissal' as you claimed.

I guess you are gone but you are welcome to support your argument if you want.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 04:09 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
I have read a lot.

Do not presume what I have read and digested.
I didn't. So are you not concerned about where organized crime has gone in this country? Are you Only concerned about the Mexican Cartels?
ossobuco

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 04:14 pm
@Leadfoot,
I know. I went to Idaho once.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 04:15 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
ehBeth said:

"Precisely who are the atheists who you think this question is for?"

Leadfoot responded:
In this context, anyone who does not have a religious bias on the question of recreational drug use.

Infra then said:
That's what you meant to say? I don't think I've ever seen a more ineptly stated question.

Well, how would you put it? I thought 'atheist' was an easy way to say that. The OP was long enough. I didn't feel like a long discussion about 'what is an atheist' would be productive there. And I'm a slow two fingered typist.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 04:20 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
So, how does that jibe with your religion?
I don't have one.

Quote:
Live and let live and let God sort them out at judgement?
Not a bad stance for government to take. You know, on money, render unto Ceaser what is Ceaser's, on morals, vengeance is God's, etc.
rosborne979

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 04:21 pm
@Leadfoot,
I believe drugs should be legalized for a number of reasons, none of them related to atheism.
Leadfoot

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 04:28 pm
@rosborne979,
Quote:
I believe drugs should be legalized for a number of reasons, none of them related to atheism.
Thank you. Spoken with the objectivity and pragmatism that I had hoped for in atheism.

Not that I'm calling ros an atheist! It doesn't even matter. Any way you get to logic, reason and objectivity is fine with me.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 04:29 pm
@Leadfoot,
eh?

My last home town before this one (this one a sure mess, Albuquerque) was in Humboldt County. When I first moved there, driving through the forest, I heard radio (a major station) sending helicopter warnings.

I don't follow organized crime, but I figure they are thereabouts.

Also, my real home town is Venice, California. Apparently one of the procedural big guy people (there was an article in the New Yorker), lived about six blocks away from me. Not that I take he was part of a cartel, I've no idea, but also maybe.

Do you presume I am stupid?

I can be, it's my a2k right.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 04:31 pm
I have not been a drug user. I prefer to let knowledgeable people decide.
Don't matter if they are atheists
Lilkanyon

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 06:09 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I have not been a drug user. I prefer to let knowledgeable people decide.
Don't matter if they are atheists

Right, drugs and Religion have never been at cross purposes for me. They have no correlation except by religious folks who claim if you love God, you wont do drugs, (as a way of scaring kids) with no relation to religion at all.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 07:07 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
My last home town before this one (this one a sure mess, Albuquerque) was in Humboldt County. When I first moved there, driving through the forest, I heard radio (a major station) sending helicopter warnings.

The thing that started me paying attention to the organized crime connection was a comment by a major network newscaster. There was a story about some of the debris from the 9/11 attack being diverted to unauthorized metal recyclers. He casually mentioned that the hauling of hazardous waste was controlled by the mafia in the New York City area. It was like it was common knowledge. I was blown away but it turns out there are lots of business areas controlled by organized crime. They just moved into legitimate businesses where their strong arm tactics could give them a competitive advantage.

Quote:
I don't follow organized crime, but I figure they are thereabouts.
Yep.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 07:08 pm
@Leadfoot,
You seem to have lost the point of your own OP.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 07:12 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:
I just didn't know many atheists

what atheists have posted on your thread?
Lilkanyon

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 07:31 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Leadfoot wrote:
I just didn't know many atheists

Hand up
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 10:37 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:
So, how does that jibe with your religion?
I don't have one.

Quote:
Not a bad stance for government to take. You know, on money, render unto Ceaser what is Ceaser's, on morals, vengeance is God's, etc.

You just demonstrated your religion.
rosborne979

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2016 04:27 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:
Thank you. Spoken with the objectivity and pragmatism that I had hoped for in atheism.

Not that I'm calling ros an atheist! It doesn't even matter. Any way you get to logic, reason and objectivity is fine with me.

Does that mean that you think I would make a good atheist? Smile

All of this sounds dangerously close to praise for atheists, is that where you were going with this thread?
Leadfoot

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2016 05:28 am
@rosborne979,
Quote:

Does that mean that you think I would make a good atheist? Smile

All of this sounds dangerously close to praise for atheists, is that where you were going with this thread?
You are a pretty good atheist but what I actually think is that you would make a very good theist.

I have praised atheists for being more objective than their religious counterparts but your question made me think about why some atheists reacted so passionately to this thread. Since most here know I am a theist they may have thought I was trying to trick them into something. Like maybe I would come back after they agreed that banning drugs was a bad idea and say - 'See! I knew all you atheists were sick bastards!".

Nope, all my cards are on the table.
Leadfoot

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2016 05:33 am
@InfraBlue,
Quote:

Infra:
"So, how does that jibe with your religion?"

Lead:
I don't have one.

Infra:

Lead:

Infra:

And you, your God cynicism.
Leadfoot

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2016 05:41 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Leadfoot wrote:
'I just didn't know many atheists'

Did I say that? Had to be out of context, I know almost nothing but atheists.

But to answer your question, there was a hand up in the back of the room earlier.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2016 10:32 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:

Infra:
"So, how does that jibe with your religion?"

Lead:
I don't have one.

Infra:

Lead:

Infra:

And you, your God cynicism.

By pointing out that you do indeed have a religion? M'kay.