Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 09:32 am
@Leadfoot,
Who is in the group as you define it?

Specifically.
Leadfoot

@Glennn,
Quote:
But you are the one who said: "If you don’t experience something now in this irreplaceable life, it is lost to you forever."
I was simply showing you that the premise of your statement is a contradiction; there is no one to experience the loss.
No contradiction at all. As in the OP, if I am in a state where I very much want to use a recreational drug but am denied the opportunity, I experience that loss RIGHT NOW IN THIS LIFE. The question has nothing to do with an afterlife. You are the one who can't let go of that bone.

Quote:
Aside from that, I have experienced the alcohol and drug thing. For me, I prefer to maintain optimal health and clearness. It's just a choice based on my own reasoning when it comes to what makes me happy.
And you are and should be free to make that choice.

Do you have a logical reason for denying that experience that you learned from to others? Do you think your experience is the only one possible? Are we not, as ehBeth said, 'all individuals'?
Walter Hinteler

@Leadfoot,
Well, some pheromones are nice as well - as long as it isn't combined with cold sweat.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 09:39 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Who is in the group as you define it?
I don't know everyone in that group. But many of those in it will often self identify, so there obviously IS a group. To deny that there are different groups is a denial of reality. You wouldn't do that, would you?
Quote:
Specifically.

Specifically, you said you are not in it.
Sturgis

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 09:40 am
@farmerman,
Yeah I thought it had something to do with Hey-zeus and god and the Holy trinity thing...although i was kinda boozed up when I reached my conclusion (with benefit of this tune)

{Brewer & Shipley, One Toke Over The Line}

Still sort of convinced maybe that Rabostalooz (the big guy's real name) must have been smoking something or drinking something or popping some type of pills to have come up with some of those ideas mentioned in the Bible...a book by multiple authors.
Leadfoot

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 09:45 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
You presented one person's view and suggested it was typical of a group you've got a personal definition of.
<noting the thumbs up on your post>
I'm kind of happy in a way, that my quote of Setanta offended so many people...
I was worried that they would all dig it.
Leadfoot

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 09:50 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
WAIT A MINIT. Yoou mean when Jesus refered to "My father who is on high" did NOT mean the old man was tokin??
Many do believe that the scripture concerning the 'last days' when God would give them a 'plant of renown' that would be a blessing to them all - refers to marijuana.

I do find that a table spoon of hemp oil in the morning helps my nerve pain.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 09:50 am
My comments in no way challenge or negate setanta's statement.
Leadfoot

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 09:53 am
@Sturgis,
Great song, I was play'n that tune in my 23 T-Bucket Hotrod yesterday!
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 09:54 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
My comments in no way challenge or negate setanta's statement.
See what I mean!
There's one for the group ehBeth...
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 10:10 am
@Leadfoot,
What group?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 10:13 am
Deists always - always - want to corral atheists into a tight group and then tell them what they have to be. That I did not challenge or try to negate another's thoughts does not make me just like that person. But, you, apparently will have it no other way.
Leadfoot

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 10:17 am
@edgarblythe,
I stand corrected Edgar, you are truly one of a kind.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 10:45 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
No contradiction at all. As in the OP, if I am in a state where I very much want to use a recreational drug but am denied the opportunity, I experience that loss RIGHT NOW IN THIS LIFE. The question has nothing to do with an afterlife. You are the one who can't let go of that bone.

Since you believe in atheists, you understand that the popular conception of the difference between an atheist and a theist is a belief in a god and an afterlife. Your question has to do with how a lack of belief in an afterlife would impact one's decision concerning the use of drugs. It's not my bone; you brought it.
Quote:
Do you have a logical reason for denying that experience that you learned from to others?

No.
Quote:
Do you think your experience is the only one possible?

Of course not.

Leadfoot

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 11:15 am
@Glennn,
Quote:
Since you believe in atheists,
Well, yes I believe they exist.
Quote:
you understand that the popular conception of the difference between an atheist and a theist is a belief in a god and an afterlife.

Your question has to do with how a lack of belief in an afterlife would impact one's decision concerning the use of drugs.

The matter of an afterlife is not the factor here. The relevant difference is the belief in an inherent or 'God decreed right and wrong' about matters in THIS life, (recreational drug use in this case).

Many, but not all, religious believers will think drug use is wrong due to moral or religious proscriptions. That is the discussion I was NOT interested in and why I addressed the issue with atheists who do not have those religious biases. That, and only that, was why I posed the question to atheists.
Quote:
It's not my bone; you brought it.
Mmm.... No I didn't. If you want to debate the afterlife there are plenty of other threads for that.

But I'm glad we agree on the thing about not imposing our own choices on others.
Glennn

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 11:20 am
@Leadfoot,
Why would a theist be opposed to the use of drugs? What is the penalty they fear? Would it have anything to do with the . . . afterlife?
Leadfoot

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 11:32 am
@Glennn,
Too numerous to mention. Many theists would associate drug use with drunkenness, for which there are all kinds of prohibitions and bad outcomes.
Like Isaiah 19:14 warns that you will be "as a drunken man staggereth in his vomit". Not a pretty picture. And he wasn't talking about in the afterlife.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 11:51 am
@Glennn,
But again, that's why I didn't ask the question of theists.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 11:52 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:
Many, but not all, religious believers will think drug use is wrong due to moral or religious proscriptions. That is the discussion I was NOT interested in and why I addressed the issue with atheists who do not have those religious biases. That, and only that, was why I posed the question to atheists.
I think your question to be, well in same way, interesting.
And in another - with about 30 years experiences in drug abuse prophylaxis and therapy - amusing, not to say peculiar funny.

But you certainly have one reason or more not to ask the opinion of green-eyed redheads ...

Anyway, recreational drug use is regulated here by law, and not by religious beliefs or the amount of taxes paid or ... colours of the eyes and hair.
Leadfoot

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 12:04 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Anyway, recreational drug use is regulated here by law, and not by religious beliefs or the amount of taxes paid or ... colours of the eyes and hair.
True, but laws are passed largely in response to political pressure from people. My question is why are the majority of people in favor of the drug war, prohibition, etc.

I really didn't want to exclude anyone from the question, just wanted to keep the discussion on the level of logic and reason. So anyone with an objective reason to ban (or un-ban) recreational drug use (for adults) is welcome to participate.

(regardless of eye and hair color)