The Atheist Case For Recreational Drug Use

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 08:48 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

The point was not that they are atheists vs theists, in this discussion I don't care. My point was that that particular group has no logical reason for banning recreational drug use.

Why is there no logical reason for banning recreational drug use?
Leadfoot

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 08:51 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
that was a great point to pick up on

Leadfoot presents an assumption that we know anything about what follows death
An interesting comment. My assumption was just the opposite, that atheists are sure there is Nothing after death. Are you saying an atheist (in the commonly accepted definition) has an expectation or a possibility of something other than oblivion or total non-consciousness after death?
Let me know, I'd be interested.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 08:52 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:
Are you saying an atheist (in the commonly accepted definition)

what would that be?
Leadfoot

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 08:54 am
@ehBeth,
Fair enough, but I've never met anyone who did not enjoy serotonin and/or dopamine. My personal favorite is adrenalin but several others definitely have upsides. I'd choose to try more if it was not for prohibition.
Leadfoot

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 08:57 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Leadfoot wrote:
"Are you saying an atheist (in the commonly accepted definition)"

what would that be?
I think you are being coy but as I said - someone who believes there is literally nothing (of their consciousness) left after death.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 09:06 am
@Leadfoot,
You're not an Atheist, yet you seem to have some pretty strong ideas about what they are and how they should feel about controlled substances. And then you cite Setanta, of all people, as an example of how Atheists should think. I wouldn't use him as an example of anything, not unless I wanted to offend a load of people.

If you've asked a question you've made a real dog's breakfast of it, and if you're making a statement then you've got no idea. I don't think someone's willingness to experiment with controlled substances has anything to do with a belief or lack of in God. There is no collective Atheist response because every individual's is different.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 09:08 am
@Leadfoot,
I wasn't aware that there was an atheist rule-book of what to believe/not to believe. I don't travel in the belief/non-belief world.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 09:08 am
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
Why is there no logical reason for banning recreational drug use?
There might be. For instance it would not be a good idea to introduce mind altering drugs to people before they were old or educated enough to consider the up and down sides of recreational drug use. Same as with car use.

But I assumed you would know I was talking about the realm of adults. Silly to debate the appropriate age or whatever before establishing the logical grounds for or against though.

In that realm, I can't think of any logical reason to ban recreational use for other than known drugs that have proven to have no benefits at all. I don't advocate the taking of Hemlock or arsenic unless it's a special case.

But I did ask, so if you have some logical reasons for banning recreational drug use, let's hear them.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 09:12 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:
I can't think of any logical reason to ban recreational use for other than known drugs that have proven to have no benefits at all.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7c/Fear_and_Loathing_in_Las_Vegas.jpg

One of the funniest books ever written, without drugs it wouldn't be anything.
Leadfoot

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 09:15 am
@izzythepush,
Jeez Izzy, you usually RTFT (read the ******* thread) before posting. What happened this time?

I though Setanta's summation was extreme but cut to the chase of logically what an atheists' attitudes would be. He skipped all the niceties of getting there but my OP was long enough as it was.

But don't you find it interesting that so far, no one has given a response to the question raised? Timur's might be an exception but his premise was so flawed that I don't think it counts..
ehBeth

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 09:15 am
@Leadfoot,
Over time I've learned the natural route is more effective for me. Fresh air and exercise give me a more powerful high than anything else.
Leadfoot

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 09:17 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
One of the funniest books ever written, without drugs it wouldn't be anything.
There's one to the plus side of recreational drug use. So much great literature!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 09:18 am
@Leadfoot,
You presented one person's view and suggested it was typical of a group you've got a personal definition of.

At least two errors right there.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 09:18 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:
But don't you find it interesting that so far, no one has given a response to the question raised?

No, I'd be surprised if they had. Nobody is buying your false premise that there's an Atheist approach to anything. It doesn't deserve a serious response because it's not a serious question.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 09:19 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
That is irrelevant to the question

But you are the one who said: "If you don’t experience something now in this irreplaceable life, it is lost to you forever."
I was simply showing you that the premise of your statement is a contradiction; there is no one to experience the loss. Believe it or not, people who don't share your belief in the god are not as needy and grasping as you might think.

Aside from that, I have experienced the alcohol and drug thing. For me, I prefer to maintain optimal health and clearness. It's just a choice based on my own reasoning when it comes to what makes me happy.
Leadfoot

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 09:19 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Over time I've learned the natural route is more effective for me. Fresh air and exercise give me a more powerful high than anything else.
Fair enough. You like that mix of adrenalin and serotonin. I'm kind of a purest, I like them separately.
timur

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 09:20 am
Lead foot wrote:
Timur's might be an exception but his premise was so flawed that I don't think it counts..

That you can't think outside the box may explain you missing the point...
(Sour grapes, it's called)
Leadfoot

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 09:20 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
You presented one person's view and suggested it was typical of a group you've got a personal definition of.

At least two errors right there.
I'll wait to hear my errors on that from the horse's mouth. You excluded yourself from the group.
farmerman

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 09:21 am
@Leadfoot,
WAIT A MINIT. Yoou mean when Jesus refered to "My father who is on high" did NOT mean the old man was tokin??
Leadfoot

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 09:23 am
@timur,
If you think I missed the point, you are welcome to clarify it for me. Do you think recreational drug use always leads to all the ills you listed in your reasons against it?
0 Replies