Columnist Robert Novak has ties to Anti-Kerry book

blatham

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 08:15 am
Thomas wrote:
blatham wrote:
This may be so, I don't have the data to contest it, but I do doubt the absolute flavor or your claim.

Don't think of it as "absolute flavor", think of it as writing for optimal efficiency of reading. Generally, my preference is to state my points in clear and simple language first, then amend them with "if"s and "but"s if necessary. I hate reading posts where the author starts with the qualifications, because experience has taught me that those authors almost never get to the point they are qualifying. This style makes me fall asleep at the monitor when I read it, so the Golden Rule compels me not to write like that. (In all modesty, it seems to work too: my readers may or may not agree with me, but they usually seem to know what I'm saying.)
This is a very interesting little argument. I love "optimal efficiency of reading"! You do write clearly, and your points are well expressed and relevant. Usually, that is (note my avoidance of 'absolute flavor'). Of course, a rhetorical gain accrues from your style, which I suspect you understand, though you don't mention it. Likely for reasons of efficiency.
blatham wrote:
I'm going to presume that you, if in a position of power in your own government's Ministry of Trade, you'd wield whatever levers might be available to force/encourage/cajol some trade partner to reduce/eliminate really destructive worker environments or, say, child labor. No?

No. I think ministeries of trade should be closed down wherever they exist, so I'm not interested in seeking a position there in the first place. I would work through organizations like Human Rights Watch or Amnesty International, but not through governments.
Well, place the proposed function under your state department rather than trade, if you prefer a singular interest in trade matters. Are you truly prepared, upon a stance of government minimalism and purity, to leave ALL such matters to NGOs? What of when NGOs are not present or not effective? What of Darfur? What of time periods where the only NGOs on the horizon were the local church and a poorly organized Red Cross? And what does 'work through HRW' mean/entail? Funding? Funding only after checking out their philosophies/practices? And if you are going to fund such organizations that meet some standards you have in mind, how is this different from you, as state department official, messing about in the affairs of another state other than keeping government smaller, or at least, appearing smaller?

blatham wrote:
Well, ok, you seem to make your argument here. You've used the moral notion of 'improper' here. Your moral principle seems to be that the less monkeying around within a sovereign state by others is a greater good.

Not "by others" in general, but "by other states". History has taught us many times that one state's terrorist is another state's freedom fighter. Theoretically you can give your government a moral license to monkey around with other souvereign states on the claim that it will use this power to advance human rights. But in practice, this is giving your government a moral blank check. I am against that. America's policy re: Saddam Hussein over the last 30 years is a good case to make the point.
No policy is without its own particular dangers. The contrary case, danger by ommission, is German expansionist designs in the thirties.

Can we be real? Powerful states WILL mess about in the affairs of other states. That's a given. If only as regards resource extraction and maintaining a localized sphere of complicit social/political arrangements which support such resource extraction. Consider the case of the United Fruit Company in Venezuela ugly tale here As you know, the number of nearly identical cases would make a very long list indeed. And it is entirely arguable (likely far more so given that Cheney would release details of the Energy meetings he has so assiduously kept secret) that Iraq is of this category, regardless of the 'human rights' justification that arrived after the others which preceded it. You might argue, I'm not quite certain how you'll deal with this, that private companies have little to do with governance even of the state that contains or supports them (tax breaks, etc...one doesn't have to add in CIA, military, and presidential support as in the case above). But that is surely a morally indefensible position. So messing about is going on anyway. As tough as moral questions are, they aren't avoidable.

blatham wrote:
If you restrict the cases to those which are no problem outside the national boundary (though I think you gloss over how that might be determined with certainty, and over time) then you are still left with the potential problems of localized pollutants harming folks in the area, and the potential problems of, say, worldwide shortages in potable ground water through multiple pollution sources.

Local pollutants are the local peole's business, and I think the world-wide water shortage scare is mostly a scam. Who needs groundwater anyway, when seawater can be desalinated at one US dollar per cubic meter these days? (For metrically challenged readers: that's less than three cents per gallon.) You do avoid the point though. Perhaps it is down below...let me check.

blatham wrote:
Again, I'll assume you hold to some notion that pollution issues are increasingly a matter of international concern.

Not increasingly, no. But even if this were true, I am unwilling to accept this as a licence for governments to keep competitors out, because that would be one of those de facto blank checks again.
Not increasingly? Why not? Awareness in the scientific community as to the effects of pollutants (to health and climate) has increased. Evidence of the alterations human activity is causing has increased and greatly. Funding by the large corporate interests (as in the energy companies) to denigrate any and all scientific pronouncements which point to these dangers has increased. International concern and activism and cooperation has increased. What's wrong here? How is it you are out of the loop?

Could you express what role if any you think appropriate for international agreements and policing of environmental issues (for example, air pollution arising in China which moves over North America, and North American pollution that lands on you, or others such as global warming?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 09:07 am
Sun Tsu
Sun Tsu's Art of War is the most historic and respected treatise on the subject.

http://www.newstrolls.com/news/dev/kilner/sun_tsu/gilesbare/Outer.html
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 09:09 am
I'm going to change a standing rule I have and paste an entire column here. This information is simply too important to not make as accessible as possible.

Quote:
The Dishonesty Thing

By PAUL KRUGMAN

Published: September 10, 2004

It's the dishonesty, stupid. The real issue in the National Guard story isn't what George W. Bush did three decades ago. It's the recent pattern of lies: his assertions that he fulfilled his obligations when he obviously didn't, the White House's repeated claims that it had released all of the relevant documents when it hadn't.

It's the same pattern of dishonesty, this time involving personal matters that the public can easily understand, that some of us have long seen on policy issues, from global warming to the war in Iraq. On budget matters, which is where I came in, serious analysts now take administration dishonesty for granted.

It wasn't always that way. Three years ago, those of us who accused the administration of cooking the budget books were ourselves accused, by moderates as well as by Bush loyalists, of being "shrill." These days the coalition of the shrill has widened to include almost every independent budget expert.

For example, back in February the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities accused the Bush administration of, in effect, playing three-card monte with budget forecasts. It pointed out that the administration's deficit forecast was far above those of independent analysts, and suggested that this exaggeration was deliberate.

"Overstating the 2004 deficit," the center wrote, "could allow the president to announce significant 'progress' on the deficit in late October - shortly before Election Day - when the Treasury Department announces the final figures."

Was this a wild accusation from a liberal think tank? No, it's conventional wisdom among experts. Two months ago Stanley Collender, a respected nonpartisan analyst, warned: "At some point over the next few weeks, the Office of Management and Budget will release the administration's midsession budget review and try to convince everyone the federal deficit is falling. Don't believe them."

He went on to echo the center's analysis. The administration's standard procedure, he said, is to initially issue an unrealistically high deficit forecast, which is "politically motivated or just plain bad." Then, when the actual number comes in below the forecast, officials declare that the deficit is falling, even though it's higher than the previous year's deficit.

Goldman Sachs says the same. Last month one of its analysts wrote that "the Office of Management and Budget has perfected the art of underpromising and overperforming in terms of its near-term budget deficit forecasts. This creates the impression that the deficit is narrowing when, in fact, it will be up sharply."

In other words, many reputable analysts think that the Bush administration routinely fakes even its short-term budget forecasts for the purposes of political spin. And the fakery in its long-term forecasts is much worse.

The administration claims to have a plan to cut the deficit in half over the next five years. But even Bruce Bartlett, a longtime tax-cut advocate, points out that "projections showing deficits falling assume that Bush's tax cuts expire on schedule." But Mr. Bush wants those tax cuts made permanent. That is, the administration has a "plan" to reduce the deficit that depends on Congress's not passing its own legislation.

Sounding definitely shrill, Mr. Bartlett says that "anyone who thinks we can overcome our fiscal mess without higher taxes is in denial." Far from backing down on his tax cuts, however, Mr. Bush is proposing to push the budget much deeper into the red with privatization programs that purport to offer something for nothing.

As Newsweek's Allan Sloan writes, "The president didn't exactly burden us with details about paying for all this. It's great marketing: show your audience the goodies but not the price tag. It's like going to the supermarket, picking out your stuff and taking it home without stopping at the checkout line to pay. The bill? That will come later."

Longtime readers will remember that that's exactly what I said, shrilly, about Mr. Bush's proposals during the 2000 campaign. Once again, he's running on the claim that 2 - 1 = 4.

So what's the real plan? Some not usually shrill people think that Mr. Bush will simply refuse to face reality until it comes crashing in: Paul Volcker, the former Federal Reserve chairman, says there's a 75 percent chance of a financial crisis in the next five years.

Nobody knows what Mr. Bush would really do about taxes and spending in a second term. What we do know is that on this, as on many matters, he won't tell the truth.
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/10/opinion/10krugman.html?hp
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 09:13 am
BBB

You know, I've never bothered reading that before. Very interesting indeed. I note these immediately...

Quote:
The Moral Law causes the people to be in complete accord with their ruler,
so that they will follow him regardless of their lives, undismayed by any danger.
The Commander stands for the virtues of wisdom, sincerely, benevolence, courage and strictness.

Somehow, 'resolve' was ommited from the final sentence there.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 09:19 am
My resentment towards Bush resolved itself into resignation. I remain resolved. I have not flip-flopped. Is that what we used to call "shower-shoes?"
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 09:20 am
blatham wrote:
Well, place the proposed function under your state department rather than trade, if you prefer a singular interest in trade matters. Are you truly prepared, upon a stance of government minimalism and purity, to leave ALL such matters to NGOs?

Yes I am, if "all such matters" means not buying products from X because I disagree with the way they are produced -- which is what we were talking about. Darfur is a horrible tragedy which merits humanitarian aid and possibly military intervention, though I doubt that either of them will be much more effective than they were in Somalia 1991. But Darfur wouldn't keep me from buying a carpet manufactured by some Sudanese weaver, and I wouldn't approve if my government kept me from buying it. Why punish this Sudanese carpet-weaver for living in the wrong country at the wrong time?

blatham wrote:
And what does 'work through HRW' mean/entail? Funding? Funding only after checking out their philosophies/practices? And if you are going to fund is this different from you, as state department official, messing about in the affairs of another state other than keeping government smaller, or at least, appearing smaller?

The difference is a practical one. When I don't like my NGO's politics, I can decide immediately that it's not my NGO anymore. When I don't like the politics of my government, I can decide that its not my government anymore, but it takes years to follow through with the decision. I have changed who my NGOs are, and I'm about to change who my government is. So I'm in a position to tell you that the former is much easier. It stands to reason that this keeps NGOs much more honest than national governments.

blatham wrote:
The contrary case, danger by ommission, is German expansionist designs in the thirties.

As it happens, these designs were in part brought about, not impeded, by the western allies' protectionist and chauvinist trade policies of the 1920s -- as John Maynard Keynes correctly predicted in his 1919 book The Economic Consequences of the Peace. Are you sure this argument cuts your way?

Blatham wrote:
Can we be real? Powerful states WILL mess about in the affairs of other states. That's a given.

I agree, but I was trying to explain why I think it would not "be a proper role for any nation [...]" -- which is what you were asking.

blatham wrote:
Consider the case of the United Fruit Company in Venezuela ugly tale here As you know, the number of nearly identical cases would make a very long list indeed.

I wish I could consider the case, but judging by the references cited by the author of that article, he seems to be a anti-globalization activist, not a scholarly historian. A few threads ago, you warned me not to take Irving Kristol's account of neoconservatism at face value, so you'll certainly understand why I won't take the article's account of a corporation's history at face value.

blatham wrote:
Could you express what role if any you think appropriate for international agreements and policing of environmental issues (for example, air pollution arising in China which moves over North America, and North American pollution that lands on you, or others such as global warming?

As I said, the only cases I know where local pollution has global consequences are HCFCs and CO2. In Brazil, China, Canada, and South Corea, which suffered most of the damage from George Bush's 2001 tarriffs, these pollutants are less of a problem than they are in the United States, so are irrelevant to Cycloptichorn's policy questions I was addressing. Ignoring Canada for the moment, these mid-income countries have a problem with local air and water pollution --acid rain, gold mining with mercury and cyanide processes, etc -- problems which remain local and hence are none of America's business.

More generally, given my low expectations about real-world government performance, I don't think international treaties will play much of a role in cleaning up the planet. Therein seems to lie our fundamental disagreement. Assuming that global warming may cause serious problems if governments don't make contracts to curb it, you conclude that governments should make contracts to curb it. I conclude that global warming may cause serious problems.

PS: One last point about "writing for optimal efficiency of reading". I have to confess I find your new (?) quoting style confusing and difficult to read. Of course you can quote any way you want, but you would increase my reading efficiency by falling back on conventionally nested quotes. Just a datapoint.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 09:21 am
Re: Sun Tsu
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Sun Tsu's Art of War is the most historic and respected treatise on the subject.

http://www.newstrolls.com/news/dev/kilner/sun_tsu/gilesbare/Outer.html

Thank you, BBB! Very Happy I'll try to read it over the weakend.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 09:27 am
Thomas wrote:
Ahhh, there's your business bias again. ….. It's amazing what nonsense honest and intelligent people can believe.

Agreed, I enjoyed my shot at Krugman though.

Quote:
. Unlike you, I don't believe in nations, tribes and cultures as agents of collective action. Hu Jintao, Abdul Kalam, and George Bush may be in a power struggle with one another. But I don't care, because I see no meaningful way in which China, India and the USA are. And even if I agreed on that point, my conclusion would be the opposite of yours. Given that, as you say, "political games are much more often win/lose than economic ones", isn't the obvious conclusion that more games ought to be economic and fewer ought to be political?

I agree with your distinction between nations, tribes, cultures and the individual people who make them up. However, I note that whether we like it or not, nations, tribes and cultures in fact are often agents of collective action, as well as are individual people. I also share your preference for economic and evolutionary solutions to political problems - if they can be achieved. Like you, I don't believe the peoples of China, India, Europe, or America are engaged in lasting struggles against one another, despite the frequent disagreements among their governments. However, I also believe the governments in question have the same view - disagreements as opposed to lasting struggle. You should also consider reciprocal cases. All our governments enjoy very cordial relations with the government of Saudi Arabia. However, the evidence is accumulating that many Saudi people see themselves as engaged in a lasting struggle with us. Another illustrative example is Iran. There the evidence suggests a good deal of popular sympathy on the part of the people - particularly the young. Hoewever a reactionary theocratic government can and does take harmful actions that threaten us and our interests.

Quote:
As it happens, I do believe that much less blood would have been shed in Yugoslavia if Europe had kept its hands off completely from the outset. It was foolish of the German government, and Hans-Dietrich Genscher in particular, to recognize Croatia as early as they did. This is what set Yugoslavia on the slippery slope towards chaos and civil war. But I'm aware that mine is an extreme minority opinion.

I agree the German recognition of Croatia was precipitous and premature. However the situation was unstable and several other likely events could (and to some extent did) set it off just as well - A Russion expression of support for greater Serbia, U.S. scolding of this or that participant, Moslem support for the Bosnians, etc. There were also many private groups at work there, each with their own bias, based on different views of history. The instability was intrinsic and I doubt that an evolutionary synthesis was achievable by any means. Many lives were lost and much suffering occurred as a result of the delayed intervention. Only the Slovenians were net winners in that game.

Quote:

… I think that non-profit corporations like Amnesty, and for-profit corporations from McDonald's to McKinsey, are doing an admirable job on this by opening franchises all over the Muslim world. Especially since most of the Muslims thus targeted vote with their feet to support these instituions when they can. I would argue that this is a much more effective way for western civilization to compete, and I don't see where America's foreign policy and America's military adds value to the mix.

I agree that what you have described is a way of resolving these issues much to be preferred, in general. However it is not clear to me that it could be effective in the time and space we have available. The protagonists of the Islamist reaction condemn and attack precisely those institutions, companies and modalities to which you look for your solution. How do we deal with that in the space and time available?

Quote:
. I read Machiavelli's Prince. In describing with admirable insight how politics really works, it also describes why I believe in politics and war as a way of creating problems, not of solving them. I confess I have no idea who Sun Tsu is. Do you think he's worth reading?

I agree that the arts of war and politics often create problems as effectively as they solve them. However I don't know how to do without them. History provides many more examples of worthy nations and cultures destroyed by external enemies not sufficiently opposed, than it does of the resolution of serious challenges through evolution and synthesis.

Sun Tsu was a Chinese philosopher and commentator of the Warring States Period almost three thousand years ago. Work attributed to him is as much the commentary of subsequent Chinese philosophers as his. My knowledge is not sufficient to make that distinction. His "The Art of War" is well worth a read. It is also a foundation for the traditional Chinese Thirty-Nine strategies for war, commerce, and life. I had occasion to be taught a few lessons in the business applications of these strategies about nine years ago in Shanghai..
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 09:52 am
georgeob1 wrote:
I agree that the arts of war and politics often create problems as effectively as they solve them. However I don't know how to do without them.

You may well have witnessed my geographical and generational bias showing. 150 miles north of where I live, the Iron Curtain and its supporting dictatorships were brought down by private citizens engaging in peaceful resistance in 1989. If I had predicted this in 1988, I'm sure Blatham would have told me to 'get real', as would anyone. A few years later, 150 miles south-east of where I live, violent resistence and a helter-skelter of military intervention and non-intervention dragged Jugoslavia into a civil war, and for the most part failed to rid the country of the communists. With the exception of Slovenia, Ex-Jugoslavia now is a patchwork of authocracies disguiesed as democracies, and the authocratic class consists mostly of ex-communists.

Experiences like these do shape ones political views.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 10:01 am
thomas

Re the United Fruit Company story...I only recently bumped into this bit of history via a History Channel series based on David Halberstam's book "The Fifties". The series included an interview with the CIA chief who'd led the operation in Venezuela. He was amazingly forthright, "The ONLY reason for the operation (a coup to replace the first and only freely elected government of Venezuela with a figurehead ammenable to the UFC desires) was because the UFC wanted it. There was no other reason." A really ugly bit of American foreign involvement, and you should read up on it.

As to an unreadability to my posts, I'm actually suspecting you have a visceral response to the color red. But I must take that into account as another element in reading efficiency.

I must get onto some things here. But a smiling nod to you for the quality of your discussion once again.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 11:37 am
Thomas wrote:
You may well have witnessed my geographical and generational bias showing. 150 miles north of where I live, the Iron Curtain and its supporting dictatorships were brought down by private citizens engaging in peaceful resistance in 1989. If I had predicted this in 1988, I'm sure Blatham would have told me to 'get real', as would anyone. A few years later, 150 miles south-east of where I live, violent resistence and a helter-skelter of military intervention and non-intervention dragged Jugoslavia into a civil war, and for the most part failed to rid the country of the communists. With the exception of Slovenia, Ex-Jugoslavia now is a patchwork of authocracies disguiesed as democracies, and the authocratic class consists mostly of ex-communists.

You are making a very apt contrast between the last acts in two lengthy political dramas. However both dramas involved far more than just the last act, and what preceeded it was just as significant to the outcome as the last act. Taken as a whole there was violence and destruction in good measure in both. The German story was one of success and a prosperous, democratic state with ample measures of justice and freedom resulted. Similar, but not quite as good, stories can be told of Poland, Czechia, Slovakia, and, perhaps, Hungary. Ex-Yugoslavia is still fighting over old Orthodox/Catholic issues, the boundary between the Ottoman and Hapsburg Empires, and the ever-indigestable Serbs. Authoritarian gangsters have exploited the present situation there just as they did the former "Communist" one. I believe the different outcomes have more to do with the intrinsic factors than they do with the textures of the last acts.

However, I cannot model for myself what might have been the effects on me of observing all this up close. I might see it as you do (however I would still not like Krugman). Munich? Am I correct? Wonderful place. Why leave?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 02:51 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
Ex-Yugoslavia is still fighting over old Orthodox/Catholic issues, the boundary between the Ottoman and Hapsburg Empires, and the ever-indigestable Serbs.

Actually, the boundary between the Eastern Roman Empire and the Western Roman Empire, which has remained the Orthodox/Catholic boundary to this day (give or take ten miles or so). But this only strengthens your point of course.

georgeob1 wrote:
Munich? Am I correct? Wonderful place. Why leave?

Correct. Wonderful place indeed, but as everywhere in Germany, our economy stagnates, our institutions are sclerotic, and physicists/engineers my age are basically left with two choices: to live the Dilbert life at one of the large, petrified, though relatively safe employers, or to emigrate to the States and find a job where they can still accomplish something with hard work and good ideas. (As an aside, my one big gripe with your Democratic party is that it basically wants to turn the USA into Germany. If their leaders visited us more often, they'd be more careful what they wish for.)

I've been trying the former option for four years now, and it was a nice change after my 80 hour weeks at the university. But the Dilbert life does get old, and I was lucky enough to win the 2004 Green Card Lottery, so I am now ready to leave. Besides, I've spent 15 months of my childhood in Davis, CA, and I still feel kind of homesick when I think of the place. So it's not just about leaving home, it also has an element of coming home too.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 04:09 pm
Quote:
Some odd inconsistencies then, as you cared that a professor in an American university had quotes from the Quran on a reading list.

There is a big difference between making a whole entering freshmen student body read something and just a single class on a subject read something.

Quote:
I won't be talking with you again.

I have seen this before and it is usually when you can't come back with anything on your side. Is this the same kind of argument as "I'm taking my ball home and you can't play with it any more". I would have expected something more from someone who claims to be so mature and educated.

Quote:
OK so answer me . Was McVey a muslim? If not you will have to recant. Many terriosts have existed for hundreds of years. Including the civil war. Thy have existed as long as mankind has. You claim to be educated but dont act like you are.

Did you miss the part about worldwide terrorists? Sure McVey was a terrorist but he was only concerned with one thing not with converting the world to something. People like you talk about how we aren't as safe as we were before 9/11. How can you say this and then deny that Muslim terrorists are a threat to the US? You are talking out of both sides of your mouth. Are Christian terrorists trying to attack the US? Are Buddhist terrorists trying to attack the US? Are IRA terrorists trying to attack the US? Are Hindu terrorists trying to attack the US? I will recant if any of these groups are trying to attack the US. If worldwide terrorists are not trying to attack the US and rest of the world then how do you respond to people in the Philippians, Russia, Iraq, Australia, Spain, and Thailand when their family members are killed by Muslim terrorists?

Quote:
You do however seem to adhere to the ultraconserative mantra. The chistrian church has had its share of terriosts.

You seem to adhere to the same mantra when you claim the US isn't any safer now then it was before 9/11.

Quote:
I dont really believe that Christ would declare you part of his church. Your beliefs dont jibe.

Your right Christ wouldn't claim me as part of his church, because I'm not a Christian. If you have read my post instead of just parts you would see where I have stated this several times.

Quote:
However you do seem to resemble the Muslim conserative bunch in your beliefs

You are wrong there, I don't call for the deaths of innocent people and kill children in their schools. That is the difference between Muslim conservatives and me here in the US. I get it attack the messenger instead of the message. Mature of you and very educated.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 04:32 pm
Thomas,

That will be Germany's loss.

For some reason we can't send PMs now - my e-mail address is [email protected]. If there is anything, large or small, I can do to assist you, I would be pleased to do so. (I am getting ready to move back to California - Bay Area - and reduce the time I spend working, next March.)

The stagnation you described in Germany is unfortunate. I would hope that Germany would shift its focus eastward and repeat the creative economic phenomenon with which it amazed the world in the '50s under Adenauer and Erhard. Nothing would better serve the real interests of Europe and in particular the newly free nations of Central Europe. Socialism is a particularly enervating disease from which a generation or two may be required to recover. As Western Europe has discovered, even an overregulated capitalism, coupled with sustained prosperity, can yield the same sclerosis. The relatively low labor costs in Central Europe, together with German finance, design and industrial capability could be the engine of renewed growth if labor and other market restrictions were relaxed. Given the prevailing demographics, there is little time to waste.

All economically successful democracies need periodic doses of Erhard, Thatcher, or Reagan to debrade the dead economic tissue and reinvigorate competition and creativity. America is susceptable too, but fortunately we have (so far) escaped the worst of it. (Though some - not I - say that unchecked deficits could do the same). We frequently debate the economic and political manifestations of the different American and European worldviews. I believe these things are related to the economic issues you have described and, as well, to the demographic differences which I believe are equally significant.

Europe worries me. Life remains both disorderly and competitive. Individuals, companies and nations cannot neatly organize their way out of real challenges - struggle is always required to solve real problems - and the attempt to 'organize' easy process-based fixes deflects attention and energy from the real issues, creates false hopes, and enervates just as effectively as does Socialism. To me things like the ICC, "tax harmonization', a fixation on the development of ever-more-intrusive EU bureaucracies, and the sustained adversity to action in the face of obvious challenge are all manifestations of the same sclerosis of the soul and the body politic. History teaches us there is never a shortage of relatively crude and coarse 'barbarians' ready to take up the reins from refined and capable, but sclerotic and weary cultures. The barbarians are at the gate.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 11:59 pm
George and Thomas
George and Thomas, if John Kerry is elected president, one of the first things I hope he does is to reappoint Robert Rubin Secretary of the Treasurery.

I think Rubin is one of the few people who would know whom to gather together to find solutions for getting the US's fiscal policy back on the right track; begin the incremental first steps to reforming our health care delivery system that cannot be done all at once; finding ways to reform our education system so the US can remain competitive in the global economy; reform US policies toward the undeveloped world to improve the living conditions of their people and to reduce the recruitment of terrorists.

Rubin has stated that John Kerry understands and supports his thoughts re these matters and would exert the leadership to get Congress to work together to implement them.

BBB
---------------------------------------------------

In an Uncertain World: Tough Choices from Wall Street to Washington
by Robert E. Rubin, Jacob Weisberg

Editorial Reviews
Review

"As Secretary of the Treasury, Bob Rubin ranked with the best. This drama-packed account of his years on the job should be read by all who are interested in what happens when politics and economics intersect."
-Warren Buffett

"Robert Rubin in one of the most brilliant and honorable wise men of our era, and he has produced an extraordinary book. It is both fascinating and readable. With charming candor and a wealth of lessons, it provides an exciting account of his life on Wall Street and of his tenure as the presidential adviser and Treasury Secretary. But it is also a very personal book filled with tales and insights about his relationships with such key players as Alan Greenspan, Larry Summers and President Bill Clinton. This is destined to be one of the most important books, as well as one of the most enjoyable and enlightening, published in our time."
-Walter Isaacson

"Bob Rubin takes us behind the closed doors and into the nerve center of Wall Street, the White House and the Treasury Department during a historic time in the global economy. It's a fascinating and highly instructive tale told by a man who is uniquely qualified to guide us through these monumental political and economic challenges."
-Tom Brokaw

"Robert Rubin served with distinction as Secretary of Treasury during a period of turbulence in international financial markets. He has now written an engrossing and thoughtful book about his experiences. Even those who do not agree with some of his conclusions, will find this important reading."
-Henry Kissinger

"When historians look back on the 1990s, they will almost certainly ask how the greatest economic expansion in American history happened. Robert Rubin's forthright and fascinating memoir will be the place to begin. With the meticulousness of a scholar and an appealing lack of vanity, Rubin has written the kind of book that important figures in history should write but seldom do."
-Michael Beschloss

From the Inside Flap

Robert Rubin was sworn in as the seventieth U.S. Secretary of the Treasury in January 1995 in a brisk ceremony attended only by his wife and a few colleagues. As soon as the ceremony was over, he began an emergency meeting with President Bill Clinton on the financial crisis in Mexico. This was not only a harbinger of things to come during what would prove to be a rocky period in the global economy; it also captured the essence of Rubin himself--short on formality, quick to get into the... read more --This text refers to the Paperback edition.

Book Description

Robert Rubin was sworn in as the seventieth U.S. Secretary of the Treasury in January 1995 in a brisk ceremony attended only by his wife and a few colleagues. As soon as the ceremony was over, he began an emergency meeting with President Bill Clinton on the financial crisis in Mexico. This was not only a harbinger of things to come during what would prove to be a rocky period in the global economy; it also captured the essence of Rubin himself--short on formality, quick to get into the nitty-gritty.

From his early years in the storied arbitrage department at Goldman Sachs to his current position as chairman of the executive committee of Citigroup, Robert Rubin has been a major figure at the center of the American financial system. He was a key player in the longest economic expansion in U.S. history. With In an Uncertain World, Rubin offers a shrewd, keen analysis of some of the most important events in recent American history and presents a clear, consistent approach to thinking about markets and dealing with the new risks of the global economy.

Rubin's fundamental philosophy is that nothing is provably certain. Probabilistic thinking has guided his career in both business and government. We see that discipline at work in meetings with President Clinton and Hillary Clinton, Chinese premier Zhu Rongji, Alan Greenspan, Lawrence Summers, Newt Gingrich, Sanford Weill, and the late Daniel Patrick Moynihan. We see Rubin apply it time and again while facing financial crises in Asia, Russia, and Brazil; the federal government shutdown; the rise and fall of the stock market; the challenges of the post-September 11 world; the ongoing struggle over fiscal policy; and many other momentous economic and political events.

With a compelling and candid voice and a sharp eye for detail, Rubin portrays the daily life of the White House-confronting matters both mighty and mundane--as astutely as he examines the challenges that lie ahead for the nation. Part political memoir, part prescriptive economic analysis, and part personal look at business problems, In an Uncertain World is a deep examination of Washington and Wall Street by a figure who for three decades has been at the center of both worlds.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 12:04 am
George
George, after following your conversations with Thomas, I fear you may be right. If we met, I think I might like you. I might even respect you. I probably would also like Thomas.

I can hear Asherman laughing his head off, he being a friend and a very politically conservative person.

I can imagine having interesting conversations and arguing until we are exhausted.

Good grief, what am I becoming in my old age.

BBB Embarrassed
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 08:32 am
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 09:55 am
George OB1 wrote: "Perhaps you would like me - I'm a bit cranky too (like you). I'm fairly sure now that I would like you."

That's odd. I don't recall anyone referring to me as cranky since I lost my cool as I was chairing a corporate board of directors meeting the night of the Kent State massacre in the US's Second Civil War. My outburst caused everyone in the room to break down and weep in outrage and frustration. I was cranky as hell!

BBB
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 10:03 am
The curmudgeon has many faces and in spite of any dissagreements with georgeob he's at least a competant essayist.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 10:04 am
Yes, he has good points, but he's Irish.
0 Replies