Columnist Robert Novak has ties to Anti-Kerry book

Thomas

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 03:25 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
We've taken one labor intensive industry (farming) and replaced it with another (manufacturing, though that has become less so as robotics has ramped up). There are still a ton of labor-based jobs out there.

I would have to consult the Statistical Abstract of the United States to be sure, but I'm pretty confident that manufacturing is generally more capital-intensive and less labor-intensive than services. So my parallel with agriculture does hold.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Banking, entertainment, and software are white-collar jobs. You can't reasonably expect workers who previously were labor-oriented to work these jobs. How do we maintain our economy when there are only (or, mostly) white-collar jobs?

Re-training, retirement of blue-collar workers, and the inflow of high-school graduates into service-jobs rather than manufacturing jobs. This is a shift of employment patterns that happens over decades, so it's less traumatic than you think if the process is left to itself. But if unions prevent wages in aging sectors from sinking and politicians shield those sectors from foreign competition, that's what delays the adaptation, and makes it traumatic when it finally happens.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Discounting those goods which have regional advantages, why is it cheaper to produce a manufactured item (which could be made anywhere - say, a child's toy car made of steel) in other countries than it is in America?

Discounting for those goods which have regional advantages, it isn't generally cheaper to manufacture an item abroad rather than in America. The whole outsourcing story is completely overhyped, and it only accounts for a tiny fraction of America's job loss over the last few years.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 03:38 pm
Thomas,

Perhaps this is an opportunity for you to resume using the Milton Friedman avatar !
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 03:52 pm
Good try George Smile But Krug- and Friedman agree on this particular issue, just like they agree on most economic policy issues. (The only exceptions I know of are health care and George W. Bush.)

More relevant to this thread, Paul Krugman has written the best exposition I have ever read about to the services sector, the manufacturing sector, and the hot air produced by wannabe-sophisticated journalist about the issue.

The Accidental Theorist

You need to read through half the article before you get to our discussion, but it's time well spent.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 04:15 pm
You are going to far. First you deny my entirely reasonable and appropriate suggestion, then you ask me to read the pop-eyed weasel's article. Never! (well, I might just sneak a look - maybe.)
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 05:18 pm
To blatham:

Quote:
Look at your language, first of all. "Forcing". I was 'forced' to read the Amerian Constitution in one class. In another, I was 'forced' to read "To Kill A Mockingbird". Would you object if you read that a class in a Saudi university had some passages from the Bible on a course reading list? Would you think that those Saudi students would be worse off understanding Christianity better? What is the purpose of education, Baldimo?

You don't see the difference between religion and the history of the US? Even reading such things as "to Kill a Mockingbird" is called classic American literature and should be studied ( I think we should update the reading materials). I also see a difference between a public school and a university. Universities can teach what ever they feel because you don't have to be there as apposed to a public school where you don't have a choice. Your argument is a red herring.

Quote:
One last point...the 'separation of church/state' argument made by one speaker above is a red herring. Your founders wanted what? They wished to ensure that NO SINGLE faith became the official state religion, either in name or functionally. Having students in Idaho read several pages from a Buddhist text doesn't present much of a threat to this goal your founders had. On the other hand, that the Bush administration has funded Christian faith-based groups almost exclusively does present a clear threat to the founder's goal.

Bush has said faith-based groups could receive money, he didn't say they had to be Christian in nature. Does it state that they must be Christian groups? You could be in charge of a Muslim, Buddhist or even hari Krishna faith group and receive funding.

If separation of church and state is used in such a way, then how come Christianity is under such attack in the US? Why was a Muslim group allowed to have a summer camp on govt land in Iowa? Isn't this the same as having a Christian summer camp on govt land? Why hasn't the ACLU stood up and tried to sue this group and the county to stop this govt endorsement of religion on govt land? Could it be that the ACLU really stands for Anti-Christian League Union?

Quote:
They did NOT identify with personal accumulation of wealth nor did they identify with the sort of selfishness which leads to sweatshops and products that though profitable, kill people, like tobacco and guns and GM autos that executives KNOW will result in X number of families burning to death.

Isn't this considered a red herring?

Quote:
You need to find this statement from the man himself. Your readers here have no way of ascertaining the truth of what you claim. As to 'not holding with America's democratic history'...you are quite wrong. In a democracy, a real one, ideas aren't illegal. And I think you don't understand the diversity of views held by the men who wrote your constitution and bill of rights. You've got some atheists in the pile. Diversity in ideas is a good thing. Enforcing unanimity of view is a bad thing. If, that is, one truly believes in democracy.

Article on Noam

I wonder if the opposite view is offered when his books are used in the University setting.

Quote:

Well, I covered these issues above. But again, you note a case without providing specifics. I am assuming you are on the mailing list of a pro-Christian group and are receiving notices such as this one. Do you really think 'conversion' is the motivation in any such case?

Do you really think conversion is the case when Christianity is attempted to be taught in schools? My public speaking teacher won't let anyone do a speech on religion in her class. She states the 1st amendment as her reason but it is against the 1st amendment, because you can't use your free speech in a public speaking class. Ironic isn't it?

Quote:
You totally ignore the words. Totally. What does "not political discrimination" mean? It means "not discrimination". And your claim that "you can't find discrimination now" is either terribly careless wording or you've never stepped out your front door. Of course prejudice still exists. Much of what you've suggested above shows pretty apparent prejudice against Muslims.

Could you prove racism in the 50's under such findings? No you couldn't in many cases, thus the reason for Affirmative Action being brought into law. I guess you can be bias in a political point of view but not when race is in question. Do you trust the judgment of the court because they ruled in favor non-discrimination but instead it was personal against the person?

I don't have a prejudice against Muslims in general, just the ones who want to kill innocent people. I use Islam as an example because it is a good comparison when talking about religion in the US. I look at it this way not all Muslims are worldwide terrorists, but all worldwide terrorists are Muslim.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 07:01 pm
Thomas wrote:
blatham wrote:
Why would it not be a proper role for any nation (or group) to criticize and work to change destructive or inhumane conditions within another state? Would your formula apply on other issues, like civil rights? Or what's going on now in certain African countries? Or in Burma?

From my point of view, this is a non-problem because embargoes simply don't work as tools for liberating countries like Burma, Sudan and Iran. On the contrary, economic sanctions have cemented these regimes by disinfranchising the productive people within those countries whithout impeding the oppressors much. This may be so, I don't have the data to contest it, but I do doubt the absolute flavor or your claim. However, I didn't use the word 'embargo'. Wealthy and powerful nations such as the US have rather more arrows in their bag than just that one. My more important point though was that the inner workings of a state are the proper business of other states/citizens when human/civil rights abuses are in progress. I'm going to presume that you, if in a position of power in your own government's Ministry of Trade, you'd wield whatever levers might be available to force/encourage/cajol some trade partner to reduce/eliminate really destructive worker environments or, say, child labor. No? But I don't want to dodge your question. As a matter of principle, embargoing Cuba is less improper than invading Iraq was, but it would be improper nonetheless. People have to get happy on their own terms, and that includes sacking their own oppressors.
Well, ok, you seem to make your argument here. You've used the moral notion of 'improper' here. Your moral principle seems to be that the less monkeying around within a sovereign state by others is a greater good. Sure. But then we are left with the questions as regards which situations most merit such exterior determinism, and human/civil rights issues ought to be up near the top of the list. If one holds, that is, that there is any moral component to governance and international relations.

blatham wrote:
And to suggest, as seems implicit in your last sentence, that environmental issues conveniently hold to the integrity of national boundary markers is a bit odd.

Not for the particular environmental issues that arize in the countries we're talking about. Producing Aluminium in third world countries produces the same amount of CO2 as producing it in North America. The environmental difference lies in things like air and water pollution, nuclear waste disposal, and other issues that are mostly confined to national boundaries. If you restrict the cases to those which are no problem outside the national boundary (though I think you gloss over how that might be determined with certainty, and over time) then you are still left with the potential problems of localized pollutants harming folks in the area, and the potential problems of, say, worldwide shortages in potable ground water through multiple pollution sources. Again, I'll assume you hold to some notion that pollution issues are increasingly a matter of international concern.[/[/color]quote]
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 07:38 pm
Baldimo wrote:
To blatham:

Quote:
Look at your language, first of all. "Forcing". I was 'forced' to read the Amerian Constitution in one class. In another, I was 'forced' to read "To Kill A Mockingbird". Would you object if you read that a class in a Saudi university had some passages from the Bible on a course reading list? Would you think that those Saudi students would be worse off understanding Christianity better? What is the purpose of education, Baldimo?

You don't see the difference between religion and the history of the US? Even reading such things as "to Kill a Mockingbird" is called classic American literature and should be studied ( I think we should update the reading materials). I also see a difference between a public school and a university. Universities can teach what ever they feel because you don't have to be there as apposed to a public school where you don't have a choice. Your argument is a red herring.
Sigh. Would you object if a Saudi university had some passages from the Bible on a course reading list? Please answer.

Quote:
One last point...the 'separation of church/state' argument made by one speaker above is a red herring. Your founders wanted what? They wished to ensure that NO SINGLE faith became the official state religion, either in name or functionally. Having students in Idaho read several pages from a Buddhist text doesn't present much of a threat to this goal your founders had. On the other hand, that the Bush administration has funded Christian faith-based groups almost exclusively does present a clear threat to the founder's goal.

Bush has said faith-based groups could receive money, he didn't say they had to be Christian in nature. Does it state that they must be Christian groups? You could be in charge of a Muslim, Buddhist or even hari Krishna faith group and receive funding.
The single government department which tracks its monies given to faith-based groups shows that ALL its monies given out has gone to Christian groups. This issue, with the relevant links, was discussed here several months past.

If separation of church and state is used in such a way, then how come Christianity is under such attack in the US?
It isn't. But you've bought this story like others have and I doubt very much anyone might show you would change your idea. Why was a Muslim group allowed to have a summer camp on govt land in Iowa? Isn't this the same as having a Christian summer camp on govt land? Why hasn't the ACLU stood up and tried to sue this group and the county to stop this govt endorsement of religion on govt land? Could it be that the ACLU really stands for Anti-Christian League Union?
Like I said...you are on the mailing list of goodness knows how many Evangelical sites and organizations, and you trust them to tell you the truth. Clearly, you aren't reading too much else.
Quote:
They did NOT identify with personal accumulation of wealth nor did they identify with the sort of selfishness which leads to sweatshops and products that though profitable, kill people, like tobacco and guns and GM autos that executives KNOW will result in X number of families burning to death.

Isn't this considered a red herring?
Get yourself clear on this logical term, and see if it meets the definition.

Quote:
You need to find this statement from the man himself. Your readers here have no way of ascertaining the truth of what you claim. As to 'not holding with America's democratic history'...you are quite wrong. In a democracy, a real one, ideas aren't illegal. And I think you don't understand the diversity of views held by the men who wrote your constitution and bill of rights. You've got some atheists in the pile. Diversity in ideas is a good thing. Enforcing unanimity of view is a bad thing. If, that is, one truly believes in democracy.

Article on Noam

I wonder if the opposite view is offered when his books are used in the University setting.
Well, why don't you find out. Go on line, find some university calendars for Political Science courses. It will take you a long while to find any including work by Chomsky, but the search will be beneficial because then you'll get some notion of what really is being taught. And when/if you find a course including a work by Chomsky, see what else is offered by way of contrast. You understand, please, that if you don't go to this sort of research trouble, you can't say you know what you are talking about. You are merely repeating something from Authority, a logical fallacy (like a red herring).

Quote:

Well, I covered these issues above. But again, you note a case without providing specifics. I am assuming you are on the mailing list of a pro-Christian group and are receiving notices such as this one. Do you really think 'conversion' is the motivation in any such case?

Do you really think conversion is the case when Christianity is attempted to be taught in schools? My public speaking teacher won't let anyone do a speech on religion in her class. She states the 1st amendment as her reason but it is against the 1st amendment, because you can't use your free speech in a public speaking class. Ironic isn't it?
First, please provide me with your teacher's email address so that I can verify your claim (ask her first, of course). As regards your rhetorical question in the first sentence...very often, of course that is the goal, or a solidification of belief/value. Other times, it wouldn't be the goal. But you and I both know what the term "evangelize" means. Where conversion would most clearly not be a goal, and where the educational value would therefore be justifiable (education and indoctrination are not the same, and sit in opposition) would be where multiple religious (and non-religious) views are on the study agenda (in my view, a most valuable educational activity).

As to the 'irony' of 1st ammendment, that irony sits in the practical problems of applying the ammendment and not in your teacher's approach. You'll have to try and work out for yourself what "no law respecting an establishment of religion" means. You will have to confront some parts of the long history of US constitutional law and reasoning. Again, if you don't, you at least ought to acknowledge that you aren't very educated in this matter.

Quote:
You totally ignore the words. Totally. What does "not political discrimination" mean? It means "not discrimination". And your claim that "you can't find discrimination now" is either terribly careless wording or you've never stepped out your front door. Of course prejudice still exists. Much of what you've suggested above shows pretty apparent prejudice against Muslims.

Could you prove racism in the 50's under such findings? No you couldn't in many cases, thus the reason for Affirmative Action being brought into law. I guess you can be bias in a political point of view but not when race is in question. Do you trust the judgment of the court because they ruled in favor non-discrimination but instead it was personal against the person?
I'm sorry, this paragraph isn't easily understandable. As to proving racism in the 50s or in this decade for that matter, of course. How many white people do you know who've been dragged behind a car because of the color of their skin? There are a lot of studies that demonstrate institutional racism (bank loans, for example). Again, you gotta change your reading diet.

I don't have a prejudice against Muslims in general, just the ones who want to kill innocent people. I use Islam as an example because it is a good comparison when talking about religion in the US. I look at it this way not all Muslims are worldwide terrorists, but all worldwide terrorists are Muslim.
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 08:07 pm
Was Mcvay a Muslim?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 08:16 pm
Yes, he was. As are all Irish protestants and catholics, sikhs, the fellows messing about in Sri Lanka, and the Front For The Liberation of Quebec.
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 08:28 pm
thanks! I wasent sure about the Front for the liberation of Quebec.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 08:28 pm
To blatham:

Quote:
Sigh. Would you object if a Saudi university had some passages from the Bible on a course reading list? Please answer.

You don't read very well do you? I said I wouldn't care because it was a University and not a public school. Universities can teach whatever they want to. You pay for a university, you don't pay for free public education. (unless you own a home, then you pay for everyone's education)

Quote:
The single government department which tracks its monies given to faith-based groups shows that ALL its monies given out has gone to Christian groups. This issue, with the relevant links, was discussed here several months past.

I wasn't here several months ago so I didn't know. Did any non-Christian groups sign up for the program? I'd like to see the results of groups that asked for money and were denied. If only Christian groups have applied then I can see why.

Quote:
Like I said...you are on the mailing list of goodness knows how many Evangelical sites and organizations, and you trust them to tell you the truth. Clearly, you aren't reading too much else.

As I have stated in different threads, I'm not a Christian and I don't believe in Jesus. I noticed you skipped over the part about a Muslim group having a summer camp on govt land, the govt is even paying to have the roads and buildings fixed on the land. Isn't this support for religion by the govt? Or do you not mind because you are against the Christian faith? Did you even know that the Boy Scouts are considered a religious group? I never had to pray when I was in the Scouts.

Quote:
Well, why don't you find out. Go on line, find some university calendars for Political Science courses. It will take you a long while to find any including work by Chomsky, but the search will be beneficial because then you'll get some notion of what really is being taught. And when/if you find a course including a work by Chomsky, see what else is offered by way of contrast. You understand, please, that if you don't go to this sort of research trouble, you can't say you know what you are talking about. You are merely repeating something from Authority, a logical fallacy (like a red herring).

I don't have the time but I have spoken to people who have taken different courses in college and they say they have had to read Chomsky with no other view in the class.

Quote:
As to the 'irony' of 1st ammendment, that irony sits in the practical problems of applying the ammendment and not in your teacher's approach. You'll have to try and work out for yourself what "no law respecting an establishment of religion" means. You will have to confront some parts of the long history of US constitutional law and reasoning. Again, if you don't, you at least ought to acknowledge that you aren't very educated in this matter.

So let me get this straight, free speech is only free as long as my teacher agrees with the subject? How much more clearly can freedom of speech be? I know I can't yell fire in movie but I should be able to do a speech on religion, especially at the college level. I guess you are part of the PC crowd. We don't want to offend anyone Rolling Eyes .

Quote:
I'm sorry, this paragraph isn't easily understandable. As to proving racism in the 50s or in this decade for that matter, of course. How many white people do you know who've been dragged behind a car because of the color of their skin? There are a lot of studies that demonstrate institutional racism (bank loans, for example). Again, you gotta change your reading diet.

I was talking about the 50's when you couldn't prove racism as you can now. It is in the same context that people are trying to pass The Academic Bill of Rights. This would help everyone and prevent political bigotry form taking place in America. You want everyone to be free and equal don't you? Consider it the civil rights of the educational world.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 08:29 pm
rabel22 wrote:
Was Mcvay a Muslim?

Another problem reader. I said world wide terrorism.
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 08:35 pm
Wasent addressing Baldimo. I dont waste my time on people that arnt open minded. I was addressing McG and his blatent statement that all terriosts were Muslim.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 09:06 pm
rabel22 wrote:
Wasent addressing Baldimo. I dont waste my time on people that arnt open minded. I was addressing McG and his blatent statement that all terriosts were Muslim.

That was me that said that.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 09:40 pm
edited
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 09:55 pm
Quote:
I said I wouldn't care because it was a University and not a public school. Universities can teach whatever they want to.

Some odd inconsistencies then, as you cared that a professor in an American university had quotes from the Quran on a reading list.

I won't be talking with you again.
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 10:37 pm
OK so answer me . Was McVey a muslim? If not you will have to recant. Many terriosts have existed for hundreds of years. Including the civil war. Thy have existed as long as mankind has. You claim to be educated but dont act like you are. You do however seem to adhere to the ultraconserative mantra. The chistrian church has had its share of terriosts. I dont really believe that Christ would declare you part of his church. Your beliefs dont jibe. However you do seem to resemble the Muslim conserative bunch in your beliefs.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 02:25 am
blatham wrote:
This may be so, I don't have the data to contest it, but I do doubt the absolute flavor or your claim.

Don't think of it as "absolute flavor", think of it as writing for optimal efficiency of reading. Generally, my preference is to state my points in clear and simple language first, then amend them with "if"s and "but"s if necessary. I hate reading posts where the author starts with the qualifications, because experience has taught me that those authors almost never get to the point they are qualifying. This style makes me fall asleep at the monitor when I read it, so the Golden Rule compels me not to write like that. (In all modesty, it seems to work too: my readers may or may not agree with me, but they usually seem to know what I'm saying.)

blatham wrote:
I'm going to presume that you, if in a position of power in your own government's Ministry of Trade, you'd wield whatever levers might be available to force/encourage/cajol some trade partner to reduce/eliminate really destructive worker environments or, say, child labor. No?

No. I think ministeries of trade should be closed down wherever they exist, so I'm not interested in seeking a position there in the first place. I would work through organizations like Human Rights Watch or Amnesty International, but not through governments.

blatham wrote:
Well, ok, you seem to make your argument here. You've used the moral notion of 'improper' here. Your moral principle seems to be that the less monkeying around within a sovereign state by others is a greater good.

Not "by others" in general, but "by other states". History has taught us many times that one state's terrorist is another state's freedom fighter. Theoretically you can give your government a moral license to monkey around with other souvereign states on the claim that it will use this power to advance human rights. But in practice, this is giving your government a moral blank check. I am against that. America's policy re: Saddam Hussein over the last 30 years is a good case to make the point.

blatham wrote:
If you restrict the cases to those which are no problem outside the national boundary (though I think you gloss over how that might be determined with certainty, and over time) then you are still left with the potential problems of localized pollutants harming folks in the area, and the potential problems of, say, worldwide shortages in potable ground water through multiple pollution sources.

Local pollutants are the local peole's business, and I think the world-wide water shortage scare is mostly a scam. Who needs groundwater anyway, when seawater can be desalinated at one US dollar per cubic meter these days? (For metrically challenged readers: that's less than three cents per gallon.)

blatham wrote:
Again, I'll assume you hold to some notion that pollution issues are increasingly a matter of international concern.

Not increasingly, no. But even if this were true, I am unwilling to accept this as a licence for governments to keep competitors out, because that would be one of those de facto blank checks again.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 06:25 am
Thomas,

I read the damn Krugman article. A moderately entertaining, cute (but patronizing) metaphorical exposition of a point I found to be fairly obvious anyway. I don't think the false notion he so cleverly demolioshed is as much the result of misunderstanding as it is deliberate propaganda put out for specific political purposes by people who know better. That would have been a more appropriate focus for his piece. Even his prose has the sing-song quality of his speech that I find very annoying. Friedman he is not.

We agree on most economic matters - free trade and the bad side effects that usually attend excessive government interference in economic life. However I believe you extend the principles of economic thought farther than they are able to reliably reach in some matters of international politics and strategy. The relations of nations, cultures and some competing ideologies of governance have elements of complexity not present in the principles of economics. Rivals and bitter enemies in the competitive game of national, tribal, or cultural power and survival have usually been able to find (often fair) ways of trading and dealing in economic matters with each other, even though in the broader perspective of history it is clear that they were locked in deadly struggles, often for survival. Political games are much more often win/lose than economic ones. Man is more than just an economic animal.

Another way of expressing this is to suggest that groups of humans are usually better able to see the mutual advantage in the fair exchange of goods and services with one another than in the long term mutual tolerance of how and where each group lives. We can wish that this was not so and work through international institutions to overcome some of its effects, but we ignore it at our peril.

The principles for the relations of nations that today work so admirably well in Europe are not generally sufficient to peaceably govern relations in other parts of the world. We can and should strive to create the conditions under which they might be extended, but we should recognize that such conditions don't yet exist everywhere. Moreover, history teaches that, even in Europe, they cannot always be relied on - as demonstrated during the disintegration of Yugoslavia.

I believe the Western World is indeed faced with a challenge from a fairly dominant reactionary movement in the Islamic world. In a perverse way, the growing prosperity and political development of Asia (in addition to the West) adds to the jealousy, frustration and sense of injustice that fuels this movement. The contemporary cliche suggests we deal with this issue at its source - as we eventually must. However history amply illustrates the many cases in which there is not time for such wisdom to work. Some of the principles of Sun Tsu, Machiavelli and others like them still apply if we are to survive to get to the long-term solution. (I also note that factors of demography and proximity give Europe even less time than America).
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 07:14 am
georgeob1 wrote:
I read the damn Krugman article. A moderately entertaining, cute (and patronizing) metaphorical exposition of a point I found to be fairly obvious anyway.

Ahhh, there's your business bias again. I can assure you that the point tends to be far from obvious to people with backgrounds in the social-democratic and labor movements -- which is consistent with your point about propaganda. Inconsistently with your point though, it tends to be even less obvious to smart and academically educated people whose education emphasized the humanities rather than the more nerdy disciplines. It's amazing what nonsense honest and intelligent people can believe.

georgeob1 wrote:
Rivals and bitter enemies in the competitive game of national, tribal, or cultural power and survival have usually been able to find (often fair) ways of trading and dealing in economic matters with each other, even though in the broader perspective of history it is clear that they were locked in deadly struggles with one another. Political games are much more often win/lose than economic ones. Man is more than just an economic animal.

Fair enough, we disagree then. Unlike you, I don't believe in nations, tribes and cultures as agents of collective action. Hu Jintao, Abdul Kalam, and George Bush may be in a power struggle with one another. But I don't care, because I see no meaningful way in which China, India and the USA are. And even if I agreed on that point, my conclusion would be the opposite of yours. Given that, as you say, "political games are much more often win/lose than economic ones", isn't the obvious conclusion that more games ought to be economic and fewer ought to be political? That would be my conclusion anyway.

georgeob1 wrote:
We can and should strive to create the conditions under which they might be extended, but we should recognize that such conditions don't yet exist everywhere, and that history teaches that, even in Europe, they cannot always be relied on - as demonstrated during the disintegration of Yugoslavia.

As it happens, I do believe that much less blood would have been shed in Yugoslavia if Europe had kept its hands off completely from the outset. It was foolish of the German government, and Hans-Dietrich Genscher in particular, to recognize Croatia as early as they did. This is what set Yugoslavia on the slippery slope towards chaos and civil war. But I'm aware that mine is an extreme minority opinion.

georgeob1 wrote:
I believe the Western World is indeed faced with a challenge from a fairly dominant reactionary movement in the Islamic world. In a perverse way, the growing prosperity and political development of Asia (in addition to the West) adds to the jealousy, frustration and sense of injustice that fuels this movement. The contemporary cliche suggests we deal with this issue at its source - as we eventually must.

So far I agree -- and I think that non-profit corporations like Amnesty, and for-profit corporations from McDonald's to McKinsey, are doing an admirable job on this by opening franchises all over the Muslim world. Especially since most of the Muslims thus targeted vote with their feet to support these instituions when they can. I would argue that this is a much more effective way for western civilization to compete, and I don't see where America's foreign policy and America's military adds value to the mix.

georgeob1 wrote:
Some of the principles of Sun Tsu, Machiavelli and others like them still apply if we are to survive to get to the long term.solution.

I read Machiavelli's Prince. In describing with admirable insight how politics really works, it also describes why I believe in politics and war as a way of creating problems, not of solving them. I confess I have no idea who Sun Tsu is. Do you think he's worth reading?
0 Replies