Columnist Robert Novak has ties to Anti-Kerry book

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 10:14 am
We'll at least he's not Erin Go Blah.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 10:40 am
George

Sorry I wasn't more clear in my meaning. I have so little time left in this life to read stuff that interests me, talking with people from whom I can learn more about subjects about which I have little knowledge. I'm impatient when I'm wasting any of my precious time in useless debates with people who demonstrate that they have no need to learn anything new or different from what they believe. I can't be reading and learning new stuff if I'm bogged down in useless arguments that don't further my interests.

A2K has filled a temporary void in my life after Asherman, who had moved to Albuquerque the year before, persuaded me to move to Albuquerque from the San Francisco Bay area after I retired. I did a lot of my own research and thought Albuquerque might be a suitable retirement haven. Asherman and his wife, Natalie, were the only people I knew in Albuquerque, and that was via several years of internet friendship rather than meeting face to face. I left my family and friends behind in California and have been attempting to build a new life and circle of friends and interests in my new home area in the sunset of my years. A2K and that people I've met here has helped me in that process even though I've taken risks all my life. Making two extreme career changes when the consensus was that I was too old to do that, especially for a woman, has helped me develop the courage (or ignorance) to make this major adjustment.

Dyslexia and Diane moved from Denver to Albuquerque this year, which has increased my circle of friends about 100 percent. We met via A2K's Albuquerque gathering last year and became friends. They both are intelligent and fascinating people.

I've been enrolled in the University of New Mexico's Life Long Learning Project and have expanded the number of classes I'm taking beyond those I enjoyed last year.

You also have to understand my craving for learning and information probably originates from my lack for formal education. A high school graduate from a working class family until, at age 43, was finally able to go to college part time at night, while working full time, at UC Berkeley. I was only able to attend for two years because the new job I got required me to travel all over the country and I couldn't continue. My grade point average was 3.85 so I was disappointed that I couldn't complete the education I had longed for all my life.

I note that you didn't add Setanta to the list of those A2Kers you enjoy. How did you overlook him. Farmerman is another I'm surprised you didn't mention. You and Dyslexia would disagree on a lot of issues, but you would enjoy his intellect and integrity. I would add several more A2Kers who bring knowledge and joy to my life in different ways, but I've blabbed on too long already.

BBB
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 11:30 am
Lightwizard wrote:
We'll at least he's not Erin Go Blah.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 11:49 am
George
Farmerman is a geologist with world wide expertise I find fascinating.

He's also a father who is currently going through the "how did my son turn out to be such a world class idiot" phase.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33559&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

BBB
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 01:49 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
If there is anything, large or small, I can do to assist you, I would be pleased to do so. (I am getting ready to move back to California - Bay Area - and reduce the time I spend working, next March.)

Thank you very much for this kind gesture. I appreciate it a lot! And regardless of whether I take you up on your offer, I'd be happy to meet you someday next year if we both end up in Silicon Valley.

georgeob1 wrote:
To me things like the ICC, "tax harmonization', a fixation on the development of ever-more-intrusive EU bureaucracies, and the sustained adversity to action in the face of obvious challenge are all manifestations of the same sclerosis of the soul and the body politic.

I agree, especially about the "tax harmonization". One would think that if West European countries got their money's worth on their high taxe rates, there would be no need to "harmonize" Ireland and Slovakia into tax increases. It should simply be a matter of self interest for them. Better not to ask why these countries don't raise their taxes -- it might lead to unwelcome insights.

georgeob1 wrote:
The barbarians are at the gate.

Let them in! Our Turkish immigrants make the quarter where I live much cooler than it would otherwise be.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 02:00 pm
Re: George and Thomas
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
George and Thomas, if John Kerry is elected president, one of the first things I hope he does is to reappoint Robert Rubin Secretary of the Treasurery.

Absolute agreement here. And while he's at it, he should give Larry Summers a very high-up post too. They are both intelligent and gutsy, and their minds are independent. We need more of them.

BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
George, after following your conversations with Thomas, I fear you may be right. If we met, I think I might like you. I might even respect you. I probably would also like Thomas.

Thanks! I'm flattered.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 02:37 pm
blatham wrote:
Re the United Fruit Company story...I only recently bumped into this bit of history via a History Channel series based on David Halberstam's book "The Fifties". The series included an interview with the CIA chief who'd led the operation in Venezuela. He was amazingly forthright, "The ONLY reason for the operation (a coup to replace the first and only freely elected government of Venezuela with a figurehead ammenable to the UFC desires) was because the UFC wanted it. There was no other reason."

As I said, I think that at least as a rule, national governments shouldn't mess around in the business of other national governments, and for whatever reason, the US government thought it appropriate to mess around in Venezuela. I'm against that. But I don't think the United Fruit Company story refutes my point.

If your CIA chief is telling the truth, this establishes that corporations can change regimes if a strong national government backs them up. I have no doubt that's true, I only doubt there's much information in this insight. After all, it's like saying that you can kill with witchcraft if you also use lots of arsenic. Both statements are true. But as a matter of logic, if the latter statement tells us little about the dangers of witchcraft, the former tells us little about the coercive powers of multinational corporations.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 02:43 pm
When on the political threads we all can get a bit cranky or even a little too cranky. It's not a subject one brings up with their family (well, I can, as our poltics all match up but that doesn't take long to get boring) or real friends unless you want to lose them. I did that with one of my oldest friends who's Republican and worth mucho millions (recently donating a lot of it to Christopher Reeve's foundation). Well, I gave up a nice seat at the Segerstrom Hall in doing so but actually don't regret it.

Thomas cannot be shorted for his principaled and cohesive commentary.

My only response to Asherman is that he needs to follow his style of his painting and leave out the tertiary details in his argument. There is definitely such a thing as talking (or writing, in this case) oneself out of a sale. Aren't we all here trying to sell our ideas and ideals?

I find we're too often in here sweating all the small stuff and perhaps in line for a small session of cognitive therepy.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 02:46 pm
(I actually walked up to one of my American history teachers in university after I collected my A, of course, and told him he had a unique talent of making the most enthralling and provocative aspects of history quite boring. I wish I had a camera.)
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 06:00 pm
Thomas wrote:

georgeob1 wrote:
The barbarians are at the gate.

Let them in! Our Turkish immigrants make the quarter where I live much cooler than it would otherwise be.

I agree that immigration is usually a benefit to both groups. However the receiving country must welcome them, and both sides of the encounter must embrace mutual assimilation. My impression is that these views do not prevail in Europe.

Is yours a majority or a minority view in Germany?

Why not admit Turkey to the EU?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 07:12 pm
thomas said
Quote:
As I said, I think that at least as a rule, national governments shouldn't mess around in the business of other national governments, and for whatever reason, the US government thought it appropriate to mess around in Venezuela. I'm against that. But I don't think the United Fruit Company story refutes my point.

If your CIA chief is telling the truth, this establishes that corporations can change regimes if a strong national government backs them up. I have no doubt that's true, I only doubt there's much information in this insight. After all, it's like saying that you can kill with witchcraft if you also use lots of arsenic. Both statements are true. But as a matter of logic, if the latter statement tells us little about the dangers of witchcraft, the former tells us little about the coercive powers of multinational corporations.

As you say, you have a general rule or principle in place here which, generally, I share. The UFC example doesn't refute your point nor the principle and wasn't intended to. The example was forwarded to point to the reality that where such 'intervention' occurs, it is almost never related to bettering conditions for local citizens and almost always related to resource extraction or resource access. Thus if one wishes to target intervention out of principle, one ought to target where it's really going on.

You seem (here and elsewhere) to make a rather black and white differentiation between intervention driven by foreign business interests and intervention driven by the interests of the foreign government. The first as mostly benign or positive in consequence and the second, some opposite of that. But also, you seem to quite handily ignore how commonly those two agencies are complicit and co-operative. In the UFC case, Eisenhower was involved, as were the Dulles brothers and CIA, and the US ambassador to the UN (lovely bit of historical footage, "The US has nothing whatsever to do with this internal revolution") who happened to be a large shareholder in UFC.

Let's take Dow in Bophal. You likely know that the folks still alive in that neighborhood have yet to receive a penny as Dow has tied the case up in courts for all these years. Now who do you figure it more likely the US government has been supporting in this matter (with tax breaks, or assistance on international law, etc)...Dow or the local Indians?

Or, let's look at Marcos, or at Noriega, or Iran/Iraq/Afghanistan. Where the US has been interventionist (propping up regimes, funding internal groups, weaponry) this has been in service not of some altruistic urge to help out the downtrodden, it has been to support economic interests operating abroad. Sure, strategic interests too, but how often are those exactly the same.

You suggest there isn't much illumination to be gathered from such observations....
Quote:
" I only doubt there's much information in this insight. After all, it's like saying that you can kill with witchcraft if you also use lots of arsenic. Both statements are true. But as a matter of logic, if the latter statement tells us little about the dangers of witchcraft, the former tells us little about the coercive powers of multinational corporations."
Well, what does the latter tell us of the dangers, not of witchcraft, but of arsenic?

To the extent that governments function as support structures for business interests (and often they are the same people/families/etc) to that degree there's not much value in separating the two or in ascribing likely or unlikely beneficial/destructive consequences from their involvement. Sure. But what if one grants/demands of government some other or some further role and responsibility? To lessen poverty, for example. Or to reduce motor vehicle accidents. Or to ensure fair elections or that bridges aren't built by someone out of art school. And if there can be an altruistic role inside, why not internationally? Neither Rwanda nor Iraq nor Bophal are arguments for the good that business interests will lead to in the world.

So how can your principle be maintained, in any case? And if it can't be, why not establish the role of government ought to be something a tad more noble than loaning Halliburton its navy? It isn't that corporate interests will always be destructive, but they will be selfish and that is not without consequence. Government is not the same species of creature, or at least, it doesn't have to be.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 01:59 am
georgeob1 wrote:

I don't remember any polls on this. But my subjective impression is that my view is a minority view, but a substantial one. (say 30% or so.) Attitudes towards Turks have been relaxing over the 90s, and the immigrants I hear most complaints about nowadays come from Russia. I also think that attitutes toward Turkish immigrants are the most hostile where their share of the population is smallest. Those Germans whose attitudes are based on experience tend to welcome, or at least tolerate, the Turkish immigrants.

Quote:
Why not admit Turkey to the EU?

Some have prejudices against them as Muslims. Some have formed an opinion about Turkey that was based on their human rights record in the decades since the war, and haven't updated their views to the improvements of the eighties and nineties. Finally, some fear that poor countries like Turkey will explode the European Union's system of transfer payments between countries.

Personally, I see no reason left why they shouldn't join. The rest of Germany is split about 50:50 on this
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 02:07 am
Thomas wrote:
georgeob1 wrote:

Might well be that "30%" is correct.
And might well be, too, that only "30%" would wellcome any other new memeber state, too.

It's all (more or less) wild guessing, I think.

I totally agree with your post and want to underline this:

Thomas wrote:
I also think that attitutes toward Turkish immigrants are the most hostile where their share of the population is smallest. Those Germans whose attitudes are based on experience tend to welcome, or at least tolerate, the Turkish immigrants.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 02:25 am
blatham wrote:
The example was forwarded to point to the reality that where such 'intervention' occurs, it is almost never related to bettering conditions for local citizens and almost always related to resource extraction or resource access. Thus if one wishes to target intervention out of principle, one ought to target where it's really going on.

Fine. And I'm pessimistic this will work. I have X influence on how my government intervenes, with X small enough to be safely neglected. By contrast, I have 100% influence on how my NGO intervenes, because I'm the only one who decides who my NGO is. Lobbying governments to intevene on principle rather than out of greed, and to intervene on my principles rather than the other guy's, is a waste of time in my opinion. The opposite is true for my NGO. And that's the distinction that matters to me.

blatham wrote:
So how can your principle be maintained, in any case? And if it can't be, why not establish the role of government ought to be something a tad more noble than loaning Halliburton its navy?

I agree that's a nice principle. I also think it's a nice principle that Cameron Diaz's role ought to be to date me every week. But in the real world, alas, Cameron Diaz will never date me, and the governments of the world will always serve vested interests rather than the general good. We have a fundamental difference of outlook here. You take it for granted that governments are big and powerful, and conclude they should use their power for the general good rather than for vested interests. By contrast, I take it for granted that governments are greedy, violent and corrupt, so I conclude they should be small and weak so they have as little as possible to sell to vested interests.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 02:37 am
Glad you found this thread Walter! I was thinking of you when I wrote my answer to George, because the Ruhrgebiet seems to be a great example of Germans and a large Turkish population getting along well with each other -- even though this area has been in a rough spot for a long time economically. Of course, I don't spend too much time in the Ruhrgebiet, so it could be that I'm just not noticing the bad stuff going on.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 05:09 am
Thomas wrote:
Of course, I don't spend too much time in the Ruhrgebiet, so it could be that I'm just not noticing the bad stuff going on.

I don't spend much time there neither, because I live nestled "between the two countrified areas of Münsterland and Sauerland in the the town of Lippstadt, the place in Westphalia where the most water flows. (Actually, in that part of this town, what about is said on my profile's www[*]: "We would also recommend that you visit our wonderful spa resort of Bad Waldliesborn."

Due to a couple of industries here (headquarters of the biggest), we have a reasonable amount of citizens, which are children and grandchildren of former 'Gastarbeiter'.
The (former) Turkish citizens are one of the biggest among them.
As far as I can notice, they are as accepted as any (German) citizen, especially, since some are doing good jobs in the mercantile community as well.

[*just found out that you can literally see on my roof via that site here Laughing ]
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 10:20 am
thomas said
Quote:
Fine. And I'm pessimistic this will work. I have X influence on how my government intervenes, with X small enough to be safely neglected. By contrast, I have 100% influence on how my NGO intervenes, because I'm the only one who decides who my NGO is. Lobbying governments to intevene on principle rather than out of greed, and to intervene on my principles rather than the other guy's, is a waste of time in my opinion. The opposite is true for my NGO. And that's the distinction that matters to me.

Of course you don't have 100% influence on how your NGO intervenes simply on the basis that you're the one doing the choosing. You have 100% influence on how your wife behaves because you picked her? Sophistry, thomas. And, at least arguably if not in fact, one wife ought to be rather easier to control than thousands of individuals you never meet. But more to the point, your same argument applies to choice of government or representative.

Governments, working with, or under pressure from NGOs, or on their own, can do very good things, eg. land mines treaty. You yourself have little real influence on your government, but organized, you can (see the religious right and the US presently). No one wants to waste their time, but spending one's days and resources switching from NGO to NGO to NGO simply to gain the illusion of influence seems wasteful to me.

Quote:
I agree that's a nice principle. I also think it's a nice principle that Cameron Diaz's role ought to be to date me every week. But in the real world, alas, Cameron Diaz will never date me, and the governments of the world will always serve vested interests rather than the general good. We have a fundamental difference of outlook here. You take it for granted that governments are big and powerful, and conclude they should use their power for the general good rather than for vested interests. By contrast, I take it for granted that governments are greedy, violent and corrupt, so I conclude they should be small and weak so they have as little as possible to sell to vested interests.

Let's add a second 'nice principle'...that your apprehension of real states of affairs is always more dependable than another with whom you disagree.

I take for granted the following: that organized groups of humans, being groups of humans, will have propensities to behave in certain ways regardless of what name is attached to them - government, church, corporate entity, motorcycle gang, or NGO. But even within the constraints of innate propensity, the possible range of behavior is very wide. There are good motorcycle groups and bad ones. There are NGOs which funnel too much money into the pockets of their adminstrators and others that do not. There are corporate entities which produce more harm than good (tobacco, armaments) and corporate entities which aid the overall well-being of humans.

I don't take it for granted that governments ARE ncessarily big and powerful and good. Nor that they are necessarily big and powerful and bad.

We both, apparently, do take it for granted that government and big money (business) are regularly complicit if not nearly identical. Nothing new in that idea. Those who seek to maintain or gain wealth, power and control will attempt to gain control of governance, and have the means to do so at much greater advantage than you or I.

Where we seem to disagree is whether a "government of the people, by the people, and for the people" is even possible, whether state institutions realistically can have any function other than oppression or any incarnation other than handmaiden to vested interests.

And here, I charge you not with pragmatism, but with an ahistorical cynicism. We are the same creatures, biologically, that came down out of the steppes hacking for fun, or that pulled Irishmen apart with horses (hi george) to the cheers of the local townsfolk. All that keeps us as safe as we are are these fragile institutions of government. It wasn't Dow.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 10:38 am
The valley where I grew up, some 100 kilometers from Vancouver, is one of Canada's most productive farming areas (dairy, vegetables, fruit). Farming labor has been provided by a series of immigrant groups, often beginning their time here with little or no language skills and obviously, few choices.

My grandparents were German speakers who left the Ukraine as the Bolshevik revolution brought down the civic structures of the state. After a brief period in the Canadian prairies, they moved out here. I can recall, though just barely, helping my parents (likely not much) in the hop-fields.

As this German-speaking wave of immigrants gained wealth and position, farm labor was taken over by another wave from the Indian continent.

Now, both of these ethnic groups are deeply established in the local civic structures.

Each wave produced a burst of anti-whomever sentiment. But for whatever set of reasons, this sentiment never exploded and fell away peacefully. And each wave, of course, brought new ideas, new values, and new concentrations or colorations of expertise in the arts and sciences, or in business, which have enriched.

Immigration is a good thing. It's a necessary thing.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 02:26 pm
I E mailed Cameron Diaz with your pic, thomas, and she did said no.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 02:35 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
I E mailed Cameron Diaz with your pic, thomas, and she did said no.

a salt pancake on your house for lying.
0 Replies