BUSH IS PLANNING TO RUN ON HIS RECORD

Dookiestix

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 11:13 am
Quote:
The record we will see in the GOP convention is the factual record of this administration, not the distortions thereof by the administration's desperate critics.

So why now show a factual representation of the Republican Party? And when one speaks of desperate critics, one should look further than the Right, as they try to explain and spin to death the hundreds of thousands who showed up yesterday to condemn the Bush administration.

Somehow, I don't remember NEARLY that many protestors showing up at the Democratic Convention.

Now why would that be?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 11:14 am
Well, if he's gonna run on his record, so be it.

"Bring it on!" as he once so infamously said.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 11:17 am
Dookiestix wrote:
Quote:
The record we will see in the GOP convention is the factual record of this administration, not the distortions thereof by the administration's desperate critics.

So why now show a factual representation of the Republican Party? And when one speaks of desperate critics, one should look further than the Right, as they try to explain and spin to death the hundreds of thousands who showed up yesterday to condemn the Bush administration.

Somehow, I don't remember NEARLY that many protestors showing up at the Democratic Convention.

Now why would that be?

Conservatives express their opinions at the polls, not in the streets, stix.

Quite civilized we are, don't you think?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 11:24 am
You can spin it however you like, McG, but your answers are not sufficient in many cases.

Let us go point by point:

Economics. I know 9/11 happened. We all know it happened. But the market had recovered from that within 9-10 months afterwards, so we should have seen a steady growth from that point on, right? Wrong.

And our massive, gigantic debt that we are racking up. I realize the war on terror is partially responsible. But so is cutting taxes during a time of increased spending by the gov't.

As for jobs, over a million jobs lost, and the ones that have been replaced are not, on average, the same quality as the ones which have been lost. Wages and salaries are down despite the fact that productivity is up.

Not a great attitude by your leader on this one, either - he lists working at McDonald's as a 'manufacturing job.'

Even if the president does spend 0 dollars, when he proposes a bill to a congress that is controlled by his party, and it gets passed, he is responsible for directing the way the money is being spent, as he in many ways directs his party. Period.

Iraq. You say we had a swift victory there, and in Afghanistan. But that's the same thing as the pres giving a press conference on an aircraft carrier and saying 'Mission accomplished.' By which I mean, patently false.

I say this because we have not yet achieved victory in Iraq. There is no lasting peace there, and all the signs are pointing to a takeover by Sistani and the formation of an Iran-style holy state under him.

Afghanistan is slowly reverting back to the Taliban, and while we did a good job there, is it a complete victory if the Taliban just resufaces, because we ran off to fight in Iraq instead of cleaning up the messes we made there? I don't think so.

The admin's policies in both Afghanistan and Iraq are short-sighted and incomplete, and it's American soldiers who are paying the price for this.

Perhaps a 'fast' victory is not as important as a complete one? I hate to tell you, but there are a lot of republicans who are angry at the manner in which the Iraq war was prosecuted as well - the 'quagmire' was not made up by the left, as you claim.

War on Terror. The war on terror is going great? How the hell can you say that? Last year was terrible! Huge terrorist activities in Europe, and how about Iraq? The war on terror doesn't just mean defending ourselves in America, it means stopping terror worldwide.

We have a huge problem with our borders right now, as many have pointed out. We have huge problems with our emergency response services right now, who are really untrained and unequipped to respond to terror attacks at a local level. Why? Becuase the huge amount of spending by the Bush admin left an equally huge shortfall in Federal funds normally granted to the states. I know we got screwed here in Texas.

How can you say you are fighting a war on terror, when you cannot adequately defend your land? The office of Homeland Security is considered by many in Washington to be a 'mess,' and noone wants to get transferred in to work there - there are no clear goals, no definable authority, and shaky budgeting.

We have made little progress in stopping AQ from attacking. The Madrid bombings are a good example of this. Reports say that AQ has gotten tons of new recruits since the Iraq war started. We're winning, what exactly? We haven't been attacked in 3 years, and that means we're winning? I think it means we're just keeping our head above water while we dick around in a foriegn country.

Healthcare. Bush's medicare reforms won't go into effect until 2006, and many cash-strapped states are screaming for change on that one. I know you don't want national health care, but there are some of us who actually care whether other people are healthy or not, regardless of our own situation.

Not to mention the fact that there seems to be a big disparity between the projections of the Bush team and the real numbers on how many people will actually be helped by his health plan - hmm, that sounds familiar. For more, see http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A21929-2004Aug21.html

Enviromental. Bush has perhaps one of the worst records on the environment in Presidential history.

The Bush plan allows for greater emissions of Mercury, Co2, Nitrous Oxide, and sulfur Dioxide than previously allowed under the (unenforced) Clean Air act. It also allows for greater trading of emissions 'credits,' which will clean up some areas of the country and make others much worse. Bush's plan exempts power plants from being held accountable to the current Clean Air act, and also removes the accountability for power plants to upgrade and clean their services themselves.

Water is no better. The Bush administration wants to change the definition of "waters of the United States" so that many small streams, wetlands and ponds are excluded. They would no longer be covered by any sort of federal protection whatsoever. Naturally, while this is bad for the inhabitants of said water, it's great for a lot of businesses.

Cities are a problem, too. The Bush administration has proposed cutting the fund which loans money to states to pay for projects like sewage plants and the prevention of sanitary sewer overflows by how much? 500 Million dollars. That's a 37% cut. And we're talking about the systems that keep raw sewage out of rivers, here. The Bush admin has actively worked to block regulations that would force companies to inform people when it happens, let alone clean it up!

Bush's environmental record is terrible! You can try to spin it however you want, but the numbers don't lie.

Alternative Energy. Rolling your eyes when I bring this up is the same as admitting defeat, because there's really nothing positive that you can say about Bush on this one, is there?

ALL of Bush's plans for renewable energy focus around providing massive subsidies for oil and coal production and smaller subsidies for these same companies to produce alternative energies. This, coupled with the Clean Skies act, is such a bone thrown to the energy industry, it's not even funny. The GAO was even going to sue Bush to find out just how much influence the energy companies had on his policy; too bad they filed their brief on september 9th, 01.

Foriegn Policy. The war in Iraq, and our defiance of the wishes of the U.N., has alienated the U.S. in many ways from Europe, which is traditionally one of our greatest allies. Europe and the U.S. share many common bonds, both in culture, languages, and economic bonds as well. Foriegn opinion of the U.S. is dropping steadily in face of the Iraq war. Whereas these people, our cultural neighbors, should be our strongest allies against the (popularly held) threat of Muslim terrorism, they are not allies any longer, thanks to our heavy-handed approach to the U.N. and war.

Bush himself has said, 'you're either with us or against us.' Well, there are a whole lot of our former allies who aren't with us on this one. According to our leader, they are against us. This is a dramitic shift in American foreign policies.

Division of America. You blame the Democrats for this. But it wasn't the democrats who set up an atmosphere where dissent=disloyalty, that was the republicans. It's not Democrats who require you to sign a loyalty oath to hear their candidates - anyone can come to hear them, not just party supporters.

Blame it on whoever you want, the fact remains that in comparison to the last 20 years, America is bitterly divided. It began with the election in 2000 and hasn't gotten any better since. And, you want to know what else doesn't help unite Americans? Bush's stance on

Civil Rights. Bush is the first president since Prohibition to attempt to use the power of our government's sacred documents to limit the rights of our populace. His anti-gay stance has alienated roughly 10% of the population, and the patriot act allows people to be held without charge for an indefinate period of time. That doesn't sound like the America I was tought to believe in. It sounds more like the Gestapo.

Oh, and here's one I forgot:

Science. The Bush ban on stem cell research is terrible. We've already had this discussion, so I won't go into the details other than to remind you that the vast majority of scientists who have published pieces about the ban have condmned it, and I know from personal expirience just how much it is holding the U.S. research back.

But, that's only the tip of the iceberg. The Bush admin regularly calls for reports on certain issues from scientists, and then changes the numbers before giving the results to the press. Many of our most promising scientists here in America are very concerned about the way things are going:

"The actions by the Bush administration threaten to undermine the morale and compromise the integrity of scientists working for and advising America's world-class governmental research institutions and agencies," UCS said. "Not only does the public expect and deserve government to provide it with accurate information, the government has a responsibility to ensure that policy decisions are not based on intentionally or knowingly flawed science. To do so carries serious implications for the health, safety, and environment of all Americans."

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/07/12/bush_bad_science/

The facts bear me out on every case I have listed here. I realize that you like Bush; that's great, we get it. But the numbers don't lie, especially re: scientific fudging and loyalty oaths.

Cycloptichorn

p.s. rolling your eyes in lieu of responding is lame.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 12:15 pm
I would like to see bush set a record for running OUT of the white house and running HOME faster than any ex-president in history.......
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 12:17 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
of course I'm just one of those idiotic rock musicians so what do I know?

i knew it !, i knew it !, i knew it !

what's happenin' man ?

will the rest of you please close your eyes while we do the secret handshake?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 12:24 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

what's happenin' man ?

Panzade knows the secret handshake as well....
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 12:31 pm
Hey, is this the same Bi-Polar Bear from Abuzz.com?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 12:32 pm
Naw, that bear didn't have no cool pic of ursine oral sex . . .
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 12:36 pm
In a world of CD's it's nice ot see someonr running at 78.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 12:41 pm
farmerperson

Your laugh is compelling. The stimulus for it is deeply laughable.

Can you imagine John Dewey reading some of these posts here? He had hopes for universal education.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 01:36 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

what's happenin' man ?

Panzade knows the secret handshake as well....

bitchin'! safety in numbers and all of that...

Laughing
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 05:37 pm
As the self proclaimed shepherd of this thread, Ive been remiss in my duties. Jim assumed that when I said Buchanan , I was talking about PAT, however, I should have stated more clearly, I was referring to James., sorry for any miscommunication. Although Pat would be funny also.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 05:39 pm
blatham, nice to see you sitting up and taking nourishment.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 05:46 pm
Yes, it's been a while. Will you be by again later to rub those soothing emolients into my bed sores?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 05:49 pm
looks like your out of luck this week. Try Gus.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 05:52 pm
How kind of you to offer my services to the masses, farmerman.

And all this time I thought you disliked me.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 06:22 pm
no sir, when I think selfless and all-caring , my mind says "Thats Gus allright"
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 06:50 pm
And when I think "kind, intelligent, witty people", my mind says "That's farmerman all right"

That, and you're the best damn judge of bovine creatures I have ever encountered.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 07:04 pm
farmerman wrote:
Im deeply concerned about the rights of unborn feces"
--GW Bush, Aug 4, 2004

please, please tell me this isn't for real.... Rolling Eyes
0 Replies