BUSH IS PLANNING TO RUN ON HIS RECORD

Setanta

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 09:01 am
Your comprehension difficulties are hardly a responsibility of mine. Someone who scales Denali has accomplished something. Someone who picks up a stereo at Best Buy has made a purchase. Becoming the Governor of anywhere, or having gotten into the oval office falls in the latter category--making a purchase.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 09:02 am
I'll say this for Buchanan, I disagree with 99% of what he says, but at least he's articulate, consistent and thoughtful (in his way). Three qualities I don't think go with the Bush image.

As for Kerry being an ultra-liberal, oh please. Trust me, the ultra-liberals don't think of him as one of them. And they ought to know!
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 09:13 am
Setanta wrote:
Your comprehension difficulties are hardly a responsibility of mine. Someone who scales Denali has accomplished something. Someone who picks up a stereo at Best Buy has made a purchase. Becoming the Governor of anywhere, or having gotten into the oval office falls in the latter category--making a purchase.

If you want to imagine it so, I guess.

But it is a purchase made by convincing the electorate you have more to offer them than the others in the race. Winning a race is an accomplishment, don't you think?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 09:20 am
Larry, you're trying to squeeze blood from a stone. Most of us are set in our ways of thinking.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 09:39 am
McGentrix wrote:
Larry, you're trying to squeeze blood from a stone. Most of us are set in our ways of thinking.

I know.

And denying that one who has reached the pinnacle of his chosen profession is anything but a notable achievement is a strange way of being "set in" one's thinking.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 09:44 am
Oh, Bush was set up to win here in Texas.

I remember it quite well. He had tons of support from the oil companies here, which in Texas, equals out to a victory almost every time re: political office. Not to mention the fact that Ann Richards had managed to piss off a lot of Democrats prior to the election.

I remember when he was nominated for the Republican party. He didn't even know it was going to happen, it was as much of a surprise to Bush as it was to everyone else. That should tell ya everything you need to know about who is behind Bush's 'accomplishments.'

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 09:44 am
Larry434 wrote:
Setanta wrote:
I don't consider getting elected to anything to be a political accomplishment--a political purchase, certainly, but no accomplishment. As for the legislation of this administration, giving the Shrub credit for that assumes some intellectual capacity on his part. I find using intellectual and Georgie-boy Bush in the same sentence has a distinct oxymoronic fragrence . . .

Considering that "getting elected" is what a politician MUST do to be considered a successful politician, that is really a difficult opinion to understand.

Then you would agree that John Kerry is quite successful, having been elected to the Senate many times.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 09:50 am
Yes, John Kerry has been a very successful politician. Just not as a leader though.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 09:51 am
Yes, duck, I would agree that Kerry has been successfully elected Senator from Mass on several occassions.

And he may even continue his political success by matching Bush's and be selected as the President of the U.S.

We will shall see.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 09:53 am
Saying that bush accomplished something by winning his elected offices is like saying the Gerber Baby deserves the credit for their dominance of the market......bush is just the picture on the label....it is my personal opinion that left to his own devices he couldn't find his ass in the dark with both hands, a flashlight, and a mapquest printout...
of course I'm just one of those idiotic rock musicians so what do I know?
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 09:57 am
Bear is correct.

No President would ever have achieved the office without a support base of family and friends who helped him prevail over his opposition who also had a support base of family and friends.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 10:05 am
Quote:
Considering that "getting elected" is what a politician MUST do to be considered a successful politician, that is really a difficult opinion to understand.

I don't really see this as true.

Getting elected is only the first step to being a successful politician, and when it comes down to it, Bush only BARELY got elected last time (I don't think it gets any closer than that) so you really shouldn't count his presidential election as anything more than a minor victory.

You must also lead effectively once you are elected to be a successful politician.

Not much of that going on with Bush, from any standpoint:

from an economic(millions of jobs lost, huge debt, budget out of control)

or a military (quamire of Iraq, bleh! No plan for Governing/withdrawl whatsoever)

or a healthcare (no national health plan, prescription drug discount card was a soft lob to the pharmacutical companies)

or an enviromental (the Clean Skies act is perhaps the most ironically named act ever)

or an alternative energy (barely any money being spent on it)

or from the war on Terror (haven't caught OBL or shut AQ down whatsoever, our defense of America is pitifully thin)

or a foriegn policy (most of our allies are pissed at us)

or a uniting the people of America (the country is bitterly divided)

or a civil rights (you've lost more rights in the last four years than in the hundred before that)

or a minority rights (he wants to use the constitution to limit rights)

... standpoint. He fails on every one of those issues. What exactly is he running on?

He's good at scaring people, I'll give him that. The threat of AQ is so large, you should just forget or excuse the other problems; that's Bush's message.

People don't realize that if the aim of the terrorists is to change the American way of life, to remove our freedoms, it isn't really neccessary for them to attack us when we are busy doing it ourselves!!! Hyper-reacting to terrorism and locking down our rights here lets the terrorists win.....

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 10:19 am
There are member of congress, in both parties, who are elected over and over again. Are they successful politicians? I guess, if winning elections is the sole basis for making that judgment.

Seems to me there's more to it than that...
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 10:31 am
"Getting elected is only the first step to being a successful politician, and when it comes down to it, Bush only BARELY got elected last time (I don't think it gets any closer than that) so you really shouldn't count his presidential election as anything more than a minor victory. "

True, and getting re-elected is the next.

"You must also lead effectively once you are elected to be a successful politician."

True again. Bush has led the Congress to enact most everything he proposed...

-Two tax cuts

-Patriot Act

-Education reform

-Prescription drug help for seniors

-Authority to go to war in Iraq

-Homeland Security Agency

Now, you may not agree with the RESULT, but you cannot rationally disagree that Bush led the Congress to do it.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 10:32 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:

I don't really see this as true.

Getting elected is only the first step to being a successful politician, and when it comes down to it, Bush only BARELY got elected last time (I don't think it gets any closer than that) so you really shouldn't count his presidential election as anything more than a minor victory.

How many presidents of the United States of America have there been? How can you possibly fathom that being in such a select minoruty is not a political success story?

Quote:
You must also lead effectively once you are elected to be a successful politician.

Not much of that going on with Bush, from any standpoint:

from an economic(millions of jobs lost, huge debt, budget out of control)

A recession brought on by forces outside the president's control and a war on terrorism brought forth by poor direction from the previous president. Must I remind you that the president is responsible for spending zero dollars? That's congress.

Quote:
or a military (quamire of Iraq, bleh! No plan for Governing/withdrawl whatsoever)

Bush has used the American military efficiently and to undeniably fast victories over two oppressive regimes liberating the people of those countries. There is no quagmire except the one painted by the left.

Quote:
or a healthcare (no national health plan, prescription drug discount card was a soft lob to the pharmacutical companies)

I don't want a national health plan. Bush has represented my wishes quite proficiently. Bush's Medicare reform is a good thing.

Quote:
or an enviromental (the Clean Skies act is perhaps the most ironically named act ever)

Did you even read it?

Quote:
or an alternative energy (barely any money being spent on it)

Rolling Eyes

Quote:
or from the war on Terror (haven't caught OBL or shut AQ down whatsoever, our defense of America is pitifully thin)

The war on terror has been very effective. Your exagerration that AQ has not been shut down whatsoever is extraordinarily bereft of meaning. Our defense of america was extraordinarily weakened by the previous administration as exampled by 9-11.

Quote:
or a foriegn policy (most of our allies are pissed at us)

Yet they continue doing business with us. Imagine that. When you say "most" who exactly do you mean?

Quote:
or a uniting the people of America (the country is bitterly divided)

Blame the Democrats for this division. They are the ones responsible for it.

Quote:
or a civil rights (you've lost more rights in the last four years than in the hundred before that)

or a minority rights (he wants to use the constitution to limit rights)

Really stretching here. Bush has done and will continue to do for every American.

Quote:
... standpoint. He fails on every one of those issues. What exactly is he running on?

He's good at scaring people, I'll give him that. The threat of AQ is so large, you should just forget or excuse the other problems; that's Bush's message.

People don't realize that if the aim of the terrorists is to change the American way of life, to remove our freedoms, it isn't really neccessary for them to attack us when we are busy doing it ourselves!!! Hyper-reacting to terrorism and locking down our rights here lets the terrorists win.....

Cycloptichorn

You have continued to make it known that you dislike Bush. That's great, we get it. But the facts disprove most of the list you have posted here. In YOUR opinion he may be guiltyu of everything you've listed, but not in reality.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 10:35 am
There's so much spin in that last post that I'm dizzy after reading it. Must sit down and regain my equilibrium. Whoa.....
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 10:50 am
Larry434 wrote:

That isn't really a great accomplishment considering that Congress is locked away Republican. I'm pretty sure it works like this: 'We have the majority to pass it without your vote anyway so you might as well vote with us on it'.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 10:58 am
FreeDuck wrote:
Larry434 wrote:

That isn't really a great accomplishment considering that Congress is locked away Republican. I'm pretty sure it works like this: 'We have the majority to pass it without your vote anyway so you might as well vote with us on it'.

The Dems have used the filibuster quite effectively to block some of what Bush proposed (requiring more votes than the GOP could muster to break the obstruction). But for most of his proposals he was able to unite sufficient moderate Dems to pass what he wanted.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 11:01 am
What record? I must've missed that record, as the Bush administration's intense secrecy is clearly designed to not allow the American people a full and unfettered review of that "record."

But the record we'll see on stage at the RNC will be one of utmost moderation, while keeping the religious fanatics and rascist bigots who ALL vote Republican out of site (and hopefully out of mind). The three major speakers all have shared experiences more attributed to the Left than the Right: Giuliani, who lived with a gay family for a year after his divorce, and is both a staunch supporter of gay rights and pro-choice; John McCain, a good friend of Kerry's, who has specifically accused George Bush of smear campaign tactics against both him and Kerry; and Arnold Schwarzenneger, Hollywood superstar, who was once a stoner and nude bodybuilder, and who slept around quite a bit while he was single AND married (oh, yeah, Rudy did that as well). They'll all try to make Americans forget about Bush's neoconservative movement these past four years. My guess is that they will fail miserably.

The religious zealots are going to go NUTS seeing these guys up on stage.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 11:07 am
Dookiestix wrote:
What record? I must've missed that record, as the Bush administration's intense secrecy is clearly designed to not allow the American people a full and unfettered review of that "record."

But the record we'll see on stage at the RNC will be one of utmost moderation, while keeping the religious fanatics and rascist bigots who ALL vote Republican out of site (and hopefully out of mind). The three major speakers all have shared experiences more attributed to the Left than the Right: Giuliani, who lived with a gay family for a year after his divorce, and is both a staunch supporter of gay rights and pro-choice; John McCain, a good friend of Kerry's, who has specifically accused George Bush of smear campaign tactics against both him and Kerry; and Arnold Schwarzenneger, Hollywood superstar, who was once a stoner and nude bodybuilder, and who slept around quite a bit while he was single AND married (oh, yeah, Rudy did that as well). They'll all try to make Americans forget about Bush's neoconservative movement these past four years. My guess is that they will fail miserably.

The religious zealots are going to go NUTS seeing these guys up on stage.

The record we will see in the GOP convention is the factual record of this administration, not the distortions thereof by the administration's desperate critics.
0 Replies