iTampons? The Beginning of The Singularity or the Robotocoplypse?

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 10:36 am
http://i63.tinypic.com/140zyhj.jpg
Who needs a smart tampon when you have common sense?

Good luck ladies.

chai2

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 11:04 am
Book marking. Will be back. As a woman I have have something to say. Will be back.

I think it's a great idea btw.
chai2

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 04:06 pm
@chai2,
Ok.

I was out and about and posting on my phone. Sorry for the goofy bookmark.

Remember that quote that if men got pregnant, abortion would be a sacrement?

If men had periods, something like this would have occured long ago, and been much improved by this time.

I really don't understand the woman who wrote this article. All we need is "common sense" and experience?

I, like other women here my age lived through those medieval torture devices, aka sanitary belts, and let me tell you, there was dancing in the streets when something better came along. But I think we all remember they didn't work all that great when they first came out. Things improve.

I knew exactly when I was going to get my period, how long it would last, and my general flow. But you know what? You get busy, you forget to look at the clock, or think about how long it's been. It's not as if it's the most important thing in your day.

I read somewhere, and I know all women can relate to this....Women like getting their period, they don't like having them.

For me, there was always a little "yay" when it came, followed by "great, 5 days of this"

Do I want a palm size device attached to my chonies? No. But I'm sure they would get much better very quickly.

If it can prevent an "oops" moment, or that mad dash to the bathroom, why not?

The special tampons would probably pay for themselves, more or less. There was many a time when I'd go to change one and realize "I didn't have to do that for a few more hours."

maxdancona

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 08:09 pm
@chai2,
Quote:

If men had periods, something like this would have occured long ago, and been much improved by this time.

If this is true, then why the hell haven't they come up with a male birth control pill?

Women have reproductive freedom and choices that men don't have.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 08:51 pm
@tsarstepan,
you can sure tell that the inventor (and the reporter) haven't been through perimenopause
glitterbag

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 09:12 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:

If this is true, then why the hell haven't they come up with a male birth control pill?

The short answer is that men would not take a birth control pill if there was one. Let me roll that back a little, men who fear their masculinity would be void if their seed was denied are not going to take a pill. It's ok if women risk a stroke, because pills are available to them, those lucky ducks.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 09:17 pm
@glitterbag,
One other thought, if men could get pregnant, abortions would be performed in a spa with fancy umbrella cocktails, and those brave souls who risk actually giving birth, pain tolerance would be an olympic event.

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 09:38 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
The short answer is that men would not take a birth control pill if there was one. Let me roll that back a little, men who fear their masculinity would be void if their seed was denied are not going to take a pill. It's ok if women risk a stroke, because pills are available to them, those lucky ducks.

Do you really feel this way about the men in your life? I feel sad for you if you truly have such bad feelings toward half of the people that you come into contact with. Men are human beings with feelings just like women. We can speak for ourselves as individuals.

You can respect both men and women equally. Each of us, as human beings, have our good points and we each have our weaknesses. These things don't depend on gender.

There are hundreds of thousands of men who choose to have vasectomies every year. Obviously a pill has the advantage of not being a surgical procedure and being 100% reversible with no complications.

I would take a birth control pill in a second if there was a reliable safe one available. I don't speak for all men. But, I am sure that many (if not most) men would agree with me on this.

glitterbag

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 10:00 pm
@maxdancona,
I have known responsible men and women and I've known the other kind as well. You want to think I'm a man-hating feminist, knock yourself out. The people who matter to me know what is true. Go take a trot around the compound on your unicorn.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 10:06 pm
@glitterbag,
I am glad that you accept that men and women can equally be responsible or irresponsible.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I understood your post above to mean that women are more courageous and willing to accept pain than men are. If that isn't what you were saying, then we can move on.

My point is that men and women should be treated as equals, and that men and women are equally deserving of respect.

Speaking as a man. I would very much appreciate having the option of a birth control pill. I pointed that out on this thread as a counterpoint to the narrative on this threat that I think was rather unbalanced. You can speak for yourself, but if you haven't had experience being a man I am not sure you have much authority on the subject.

I am curious if the men in your life would like the option of a birth control pill. You might ask them before assuming you know what they would say. If you do this, please let me know what they say.

chai2

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 10:44 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

you can sure tell that the inventor (and the reporter) haven't been through perimenopause

Exactly re the reporter.

What do you mean about the inventor?
glitterbag

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 10:48 pm
@maxdancona,
Max, you sound like a very very young male. I do need to point out that since you are not a woman, you might not have a clue what it is like listening to people like you expound on how easy it is to be a woman. You make a lot of assumptions about me,and I'm not interested in convincing you I am a worthwhile person. A2K is a pastime, not my life...and as far as asking the men in my life if they want to take any additional medication, Ill off them the opportunity to get acquainted with you and your predilections and your biases. Sorry pal, once I passed 55, I no longer felt the need to explain myself to strangers.. To be a tad more honest, being one of the few female managers working in DOD during my career,I tired of explaining myself about the time I hit 32.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 10:59 pm
@chai2,
this

Quote:
Over time, too, the app can predict when a woman's period will start, how long it will last and what her heaviest-flow days will be.

in perimenopause all of that is as random as a magic 8 ball

there is no way of knowing anything

there were a few times I thought I'd float away on the flow
glitterbag

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 11:36 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

maxdancona wrote:

Quote:

After rereading this thread I realize I responded to something that just doesn't appear here. I apologize to the folks who were discussing this issue as well as allowing myself to get involved in a side-issue completely not intended to be discussed. Sorry folks, I'll pay more attention to who I respond to in the future.
dlowan

Reply Wed 25 May, 2016 03:13 am
@glitterbag,
Male reproductive mechanisms are relatively simple hormonally etc speaking.

Women's is complex and involves multiple hormones.

Take away message: you pretty much have to hit the male system with a metaphorical sledgehammer to stop it working. The female can be interfer d with more subtly.

It's hard to make a sledgehammer that doesn't squash the man as well
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 25 May, 2016 07:30 am
@tsarstepan,
Thanks Glitterbag.

Now, getting back to the topic... I would be uncomfortable having something located inside my body transmitting information to the Internet. Anything time you connect something to the Internet, you make its data available to strangers.

Maybe you don't care if information on the state of your tampon leaks out on the public Internet. But there is a line being crossed here that I am not sure I would be comfortable with.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 25 May, 2016 09:46 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

this

Quote:
Over time, too, the app can predict when a woman's period will start, how long it will last and what her heaviest-flow days will be.

in perimenopause all of that is as random as a magic 8 ball

there is no way of knowing anything

there were a few times I thought I'd float away on the flow

yeah. I had to think about that for a moment.

I was fortunate in that I took after my mother. Everything went along as normal until one month, bam, nothing, and that was it forever and ever amen.

Well, at one point sometime within 6 months prior to that, I had some weird cycle/flow, but that was it.

The month I had no period, I just happened to have a doctors appointment shortly after that. I of course mentioned that to my doctor, and she did bloodwork. When it came back so assured me I wasn't even in perimenopause, that all my hormones where absolutley right in range etc etc.

I just internally rolled my eyes. Bloodwork and normal hormones aside, I just knew I was done, and I was. A year later when I was there for my physical, I told my doctor, and she laughed and shrugged it off saying "well, that happens"

However, to me if I was one who had cycles and flows all over the place, during perimenopause, I would love having something that could give me a warning shot across the bow, so to speak.

Anyway, I just didn't appreciate the author, as a woman, saying to the effect of "well, if you were just Paying Attention, you wouldn't have this issue at any point during your fertile years."

Also, her making light of accidents. Yes, of course it's a natural process, but that wouldn't make it any less embarrassing for someone walking around with blood on the butt area of their clothes.

In this world where it seems the slightest inconvenience is the end of the world, like having to wait 2 seconds for something, I don't understand why anyone would begrudge something that is actually quite useful.

Just re scanned the article. Yeah, I'm actually disliking this woman now.

This holier than thou attitude of "it's not hard to remember to change it every few hours". Except when it is. We've all had days or nights where it's totally unknowable from one change to the next what is going on.

Also, this..."I don't actually know how one forgets about a tampon, and it's also not that hard to remember to change it before the workday is done. "

More than once in my life, thankfully well within 24 hours of my period ending, I've asked myself "Do you remember removing that last tampon?" The answer to me was "No, I don't remember specifically (again, not the most memorable part of the day), I better go on an exploratory mission" I know that definately once, maybe even twice, I realized that indeed one was inside me.
Related to that, once when I was changing tampons, I thought "This string feels different" and when I pulled, TWO of them came out. Obviously I was either in a rush, or wasn't thinking, and just put a 2nd one in.

So yeah. Why would forgeting something like this be any more unusual than "did I leave that coffee pot on?" and going to check to find that indeed it was still turned on.

Actually, I think most of us have automatic turn off sensors on our coffee pots, and they are also available on irons, our TV's and all sorts of devices. Do we need the vast majority of the time to be reminded of our bodily needs? No. But what the heck is wrong with a little added security?

Women used to pin cloths to their underwear, or stick pieces of papyrus or lint up our giggy. Did someone complain as better materials were developed, saying "women should just use their common sense and know when to remove that lint or unpin that cloth. We don't need things that give us more security.

glitterbag

Reply Wed 25 May, 2016 10:37 am
@chai2,
Apparently the author assumes every woman is guaranteed a period such as the one she experiences. She's a lucky gal, not all of us are that lucky. I know the other women posting here can think of numerous ways our bodies have not cooperated in an orderly fashion. There are situations that defeat even the most sturdy tampon. If anyone has every experienced the joy of heavy clots, you would never ever say it's a easy fix.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 25 May, 2016 10:44 am
@glitterbag,
Or a bleeding fibroid..
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 25 May, 2016 11:36 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Um.... Pharmaceuticals already have one. It's in clinical trials.
Vasalgel

Then there is ...
gendarussa which could be coming into fruition 10 years from now.

Did you forget about vasectomies?

Besides... what the frack does that have to do with the actual thread?