How different is the world nowadays to how it was in say, 2000?

Reply Fri 13 May, 2016 07:53 am
16 years ago. It seems a lot has changed

rosborne979

Reply Fri 13 May, 2016 11:05 am
@tommyirish2,
There's a whole lot more Internet now. And two fewer World Trade Center buildings.
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Fri 13 May, 2016 11:57 am
If you look at old news footage from 2000, all the people had weird hair. And the cars were kind of clunky.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Fri 13 May, 2016 12:47 pm
A lot of people are in personal communication with someone who not physically present, and it's not even possible sometimes to know when they are talking to you or to somebody else. Bluetooth, and all that.
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Fri 13 May, 2016 01:58 pm
@Blickers,
Quote:
A lot of people are in personal communication with someone who not physically present,

I am old enough to remember when someone behind you and walking alone in the street said "Hello!" and started talking about their day, or where they were, it meant they were crazy and you should walk a little faster.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 13 May, 2016 01:59 pm
In 2004 Howard Dean effectively killed his presidential run by his "un-presidential" scream:

He was thought to be a loose canon.

Now, we have Donald Trump whose very un-presidentialness and loose canon character have propelled him to the Republican nomination.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 13 May, 2016 02:03 pm
@InfraBlue,
Good point there, InfraBlue.
0 Replies

Cinderellie74

Reply Fri 13 May, 2016 02:16 pm
A lot has changed in 16 years. More people, more buildings (ie housing, stores, etc.) going up, more crime, less food....The only thing that hasn't changed is that we are still at war.
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Fri 13 May, 2016 02:29 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:

I didn't know he was in the Church.

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 13 May, 2016 03:10 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
Tes yeux noirs wrote:

Quote:

I didn't know he was in the Church.

HA!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 13 May, 2016 03:30 pm
@Cinderellie74,
Cinderellie74 wrote:
more crime

where are you living that this is the case?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/increase-in-sexual-violence-against-children-statcan/article25626519/

Quote:
For the eleventh year in a row, crime rates in Canada have dropped, according to new data released by Statistics Canada on Wednesday.

Canada’s overall crime severity index (which measures the volume and severity of police-reported crime) decreased three per cent last year –the lowest it has been since the data was first collected in 1998.

Traditional police-reported crime rate (the volume of crime relative to population size) also decreased by three per cent last year.
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sat 14 May, 2016 02:06 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Cinderellie74 wrote:

more crime

where are you living that this is the case?

UK recorded crime figures are down about 50% since 2000; road death figures are down 50% also.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 14 May, 2016 03:05 am
A great many people believe that this or that phenomenon is more prevalent because they have just noticed it.
farmerman

Reply Sat 14 May, 2016 10:08 am
@Setanta,
16 years go, we hadnt yet discovered Delaware and we only had 9 planets.

Blickers

Reply Sat 14 May, 2016 10:18 am
@farmerman,
Quote farmerman:
Quote:
16 years go, we hadnt yet discovered Delaware and we only had 9 planets.

Any day now we should see the PLF, (Pluto Liberation Front), start demonstrating in front of the UN demanding Pluto be restored to its traditional status as a full fledged planet.
Blickers

Reply Sat 14 May, 2016 10:22 am
TV watching has changed. How many people put on one of the Big Four networks and watch the shows all night anymore? So many other things to watch or do. And YouTube seems to be functioning as the world's VCR, (those were big in 2000 as well).
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 14 May, 2016 11:46 am
@Blickers,
The UN don't know squat . . . they'll have to go protest before the IAU . . . who will look at them through a telescope, and then ignore them.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 15 May, 2016 02:14 pm
@tommyirish2,
The biggest change in my opinion is the proliferation of smartphones, which have dramatically changed everyday life since their arrival in the mainstream.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Sun 15 May, 2016 02:43 pm
Bluetooth. Hands free. Wi fi.

I remember first seeing 'wi fi' written down, and mentally thinking it was pronounced wiffy.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 01:00 am
We've gone from LPs or cassette, to CDs, to listening to music from your phone.
0 Replies