Debunking SBVFT

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 07:00 am
This may be true but on this particular charge, it's 3 against 1, Kerry. The three who say they were there, who the records show were there, say Shachte was not. I am willing to give Shachte the benefit of the doubt and say he was confused and maybe remembers a different incident.

I'm still waiting for someone to confirm that soldiers actually 'ask' for purple hearts. I think that's ridiculous.
0 Replies

swolf

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 07:03 am
sozobe wrote:

swolf, what I'm asking is that you keep this thread for the stated purpose.

Like I say, that simply does not strike me as a reasonable request. Sorry.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 07:03 am
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 07:06 am
Quote:
"I thought we were under fire, I believed we were under fire," Lambert said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press.

He doesn't sound very sure of what happened, eh?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 07:10 am
Note that in the same article, Brand X, another guy, Lambert, says Thurlow is wrong about receiving fire. Schachte is contradicted by two eyewitnesses (and seems like records will be able to solve that one.)

[shrugs] Medals were handed out like candy. But that was the system.

More on Lambert (did I already post this?):

Quote:
Swiftboat Crewman: Kerry Boat Took Fire
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Published: August 26, 2004

Filed at 11:26 p.m. ET

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) -- A swiftboat crewman decorated in the 1969 Vietnam incident where John Kerry won a Bronze Star says not only did they come under enemy fire but also that his own boat commander, who has challenged the official account, was too distracted to notice the gunfire.

Retired Chief Petty Officer Robert E. Lambert, of Eagle Point, Ore., got a Bronze Star for pulling his boat commander -- Lt. Larry Thurlow -- out of the Bay Hap River on March 13, 1969. Thurlow had jumped onto another swiftboat to aid sailors wounded by a mine explosion but fell off when the out-of-control boat ran aground.

Thurlow, who has been prominent among a group of veterans challenging the Democratic presidential candidate's record, has said there was no enemy fire during the incident. Lambert, however, supports the Navy account that says all five swiftboats in the task force ``came under small arms and automatic weapon fire from the river banks'' when the mine detonated.

``I thought we were under fire, I believed we were under fire,'' Lambert said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press.

``Thurlow was far too distracted with rescue efforts to even realize he was under fire. He was concentrating on trying to save lives.''

The anti-Kerry group, Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, has been running television ads challenging the Navy account of the boats being under fire. Kerry has condemned the ads as a Republican smear campaign.

A career military man, Lambert is no fan of Kerry's either. He doesn't like Kerry's post-Vietnam anti-war activity and doesn't plan to vote for him.

``I don't like the man himself,'' Lambert said, ``but I think what happened happened, and he was there.''

A March 1969 Navy report located by The Associated Press this week supports Lambert's version. The report twice mentions the incident and both times calls it ``an enemy initiated firefight'' that included automatic weapons fire and underwater mines used against a group of five boats that included Kerry's.

Kerry's Bronze Star was awarded for his pulling Special Forces Lt. Jim Rassmann, who had been blown off the boat, out of the river. Rassmann, who is retired and lives in Florence, Ore., has said repeatedly that the boats were under fire, as have other witnesses. Lambert didn't see that rescue because Kerry was farther down the river and ``I was busy pulling my own boat officer (Thurlow) out of the water.''

Thurlow could not be reached for comment about Lambert's recollections.

But speaking for the Swift Boat Veterans group, Van Odell, who was in the task force that day, remembers it differently from Lambert.

``When they're firing, you can hear the rounds hit the boat or buzz by your head. There was none of that,'' he said in a telephone interview from Katy, Texas, where he lives.

On Thursday, the group released a 30-second Internet ad disputing Kerry's contention that his swiftboat crossed into Cambodia. Kerry's campaign has acknowledged that he may not have been in Cambodia on Christmas Eve of 1968, as he has previously stated, but that he does recall being on patrol along the Cambodia-Vietnam border on that date.

Lambert said the swiftboats were on their way out of the river when a mine exploded under one, PCF-3.

``When they blew the 3-boat, everyone opened up on the banks with everything they had,'' he said. ``That was the normal procedure. When they came after you, they came after you. Somebody on shore blew that mine.''

``There was always a firefight'' after a mine detonation, he said.

``Kerry was out in front of us, on down the river. He had to come back up the river to get to us.''

Lambert retired in 1978 as a chief petty officer with 22 years of service and three tours in Vietnam. He does not remember ever meeting Kerry.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/national/AP-Swiftboat-Witness.html
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 07:13 am
Oh, nimh got there first.

Brand X, by CoastalRat's reasoning, Lambert has even less reason to speak up -- he specifically doesn't like Kerry, and will be voting for Bush. So why doubt him?

swolf, whatever. We can just treat this like a FAQ. You say, "the Kerry campaign admitted he was never in Cambodia", we say "uh no" and give a cite. That'll work. :-D
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 07:13 am
CoastalRat wrote:
[The problem for the Kerry camp as far as Schachte's statement goes is that Schachte appears to me to be much more credible than most of the others in this whole thing. He states he stayed out of things and did not join the SBV group until his character was called into question. He has nothing to gain by stepping forward and now saying what he says.

<shrugs> Pat Runyon, one of the two men who support Kerry's version and who doesnt remember Schachte, is also not a Democrat and has never been active in politics. He met Kerry for the first time since that night in 1968 again at a rally in Dayton this year, when he went up to Kerry to introduce himself.

And what does Runyon (or Rood or Lambert or other such men who only stepped forward this month) have to gain by saying what they say?
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 07:16 am
Yes he does indeed say that, but nothing in that statement tells me that knows "definitively" that they were under enemy fire. They opened fire when the mine exploded because the assumption was there were enemies on the banks of the river but that doesn't mean there were indeed enemies on the banks of the river firing at them.

There were mines exploding, artillery being fired...a boat was disabled, at least one man went over board & maybe even a dog flying through the air Rolling Eyes in short it was chaos. He could have thought they were under enemy fire when what he heard was fire from the Swift Boats.

Which brings to question: boat disabled, if they were drawing enemy fire they would have been shot to death, no one was.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 07:17 am
Quote:
But speaking for the Swift Boat Veterans group, Van Odell, who was in the task force that day, remembers it differently from Lambert.

"When they're firing, you can hear the rounds hit the boat or buzz by your head. There was none of that," he said in a telephone interview from Katy, Texas, where he lives. [..]

"When they blew the 3-boat, everyone opened up on the banks with everything they had," he said. "That was the normal procedure. When they came after you, they came after you. Somebody on shore blew that mine."

"There was always a firefight" after a mine detonation, he said.

He seems to contradict himself here. He says there was no enemy fire but then says that there was always a firefight after a mine detonation.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 07:18 am
The Navy reports state there were only three bullet holes on Thurlow's boat; which were attributed to the ambush they encountered the night before.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 07:21 am
We weren't there. We don't know. We have records (support Kerry) and eyewitness accounts (as FreeDuck says, more in support of Kerry than not, including some who disagree with him politcally.) Burden of proof on the accuser. Absolutely no proof that there was NOT enemy fire. So presumed innocent. Right?
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 07:22 am
If they were taking gunfire from the shore, especially automatic rifle fire, then these Vietnamese were the worst marksmen on the planet!

And, I would think, most Vietnamese using small arms would have sense enough to only shoot if the boats were in range.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 07:23 am
You'd think.

We don't know.

And what we do know says otherwise.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 07:24 am
FreeDuck wrote:
Quote:

"When they're firing, you can hear the rounds hit the boat or buzz by your head. There was none of that," he said in a telephone interview from Katy, Texas, where he lives. [..]

"When they blew the 3-boat, everyone opened up on the banks with everything they had," he said. "That was the normal procedure. When they came after you, they came after you. Somebody on shore blew that mine."

He seems to contradict himself here. He says there was no enemy fire but then says that there was always a firefight after a mine detonation.

On the surface I would agree with you. But taken in context, he could be using the term firefight only to indicate that weapons were fired from the boats (in other words, a one-sided "firefight").

Please, I don't want to get in a long drawn out discussion. I don't knew if this is what he meant or he really did contradict himself. I am only offering this as a possible explaination for the seeming contradiction.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 07:25 am
FreeDuck wrote:
Quote:

No no no that was just my awkward cutting/pasting. I posted the parts from the article that were relevant to charge/countercharge, they're separated by "[..]". In the last bit its Lambert talking again. Sorry about that, I'll edit my post.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 07:25 am
Brand X wrote:
The Navy reports state there were only three bullet holes on Thurlow's boat; which were attributed to the ambush they encountered the night before.

The navy reports say that there was enemy fire. Enemy fire or not, chaos is good enough for me. Either all of them deserved the medals or none of them did. Still not sure what this has to do with Kerry.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 07:26 am
I posted the whole shebang right after you I think (no cuts.)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 07:28 am
Amen FreeDuck.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 07:31 am
CoastalRat wrote:
On the surface I would agree with you. But taken in context, he could be using the term firefight only to indicate that weapons were fired from the boats (in other words, a one-sided "firefight").

Please, I don't want to get in a long drawn out discussion. I don't knew if this is what he meant or he really did contradict himself. I am only offering this as a possible explaination for the seeming contradiction.

I'm not prepared to take that leap. A fight is between two parties or else it is not a fight. I'd be happy to take his comments in context if we could also take Kerry's in context.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 07:32 am
For most Swift Boat missions, the standard operating procedures in case of a mine detonation disabling a boat is to immediately begin pre-emptive cover fire. This is most certainly what Rassmann and Lambert heard. Yes, there was "probably" at least one VC on shore but that person would not have opened small arms fire on the boats unless he had lots of backup. I say probably because there is no conformation, only speculation that PCF-3 was damaged by a command mine rather than a contact mine.

Lambert also points out that a mine exploded under ONE boat. PCF-3, yet Kerry has claimed there were 3 mines detonated that no one else has reported. Kerry further stated in his report that his buttocks injury was due to a mine explosion, though his boat was the farthest at 75 yards from the explosion and no other crewmembers on any other boats than PCF-3 suffered injuries from the explosion. This is covered on the after incident report where Kerry, or someone, mistakenly declared Kerry had been injured by a mine and Kerry never corrected the record, but he accepted an award for something he did know never occurred.

As the damage reports from the after incident report on Kerry's web site show, there was NO small arms or enemy action damage to any of the boats except the mine damage to PCF-3. This is a much more factual observation than any eyewitness account during the time since as many as 8 twin .50 caliber machine guns were directing preemptive suppression fire at the shoreline creating a very loud and distracting scenario for the crewman that were not firing the weapons.

Come on folks. There was over 1,800 square feet of exposed aluminum above the water line, standing still in the water for the better part of 15-20 minutes. Does anyone actually believe that anyone could shoot at something the size of a medium house for even a few minutes with a machine gun and not hit anything?
0 Replies