CINQO de MAYO

Reply Thu 5 May, 2016 10:02 am
http://www.seriouseats.com/images/2013/07/20130717-mayonnaise-taste-test-03.jpg

Too bad they didnt have this at puebla, a French sauce in a Mexican town

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 5 May, 2016 10:07 am

https://heavyeditorial.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/iltpqnl.jpg?quality=65&strip=all&w=640
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 5 May, 2016 10:20 am
@farmerman,
here are you do and do nots for today:

1. 'Happy Cinco de Mayo!'... said no Mexican ever

Today is not Mexico's independence day (which is September 16) so you should refrain from treating it as such. You will rarely see a Mexican in the United States or in Mexico -- outside of where the battle actually happened -- acknowledge, let alone celebrate, the holiday. So simmer down.

2. Resist the urge to wear sombreros and fake mustaches because, well, stereotypes

While it may seem like all fun and games, these costumes essentially reduce cultural and traditional costumes to a caricature. Take it from the Penn State sorority sisters who learned the hard way after donning ponchos during one of their "Mexican-themed" parties. (Not to mention the offensive signs they made to accompany their costumes.)

3. Enjoy traditional Mexican libations, but don't use Cinco de Mayo as an excuse to get brutally inebriated

There's a thin line between enjoying a drink special with friends and running amok after taking 13 shots of tequila. Plus, blacking out drunk is sort of disrespectful given Cinco de Mayo is in remembrance of a battle, meaning lives were lost. In other words, keep it classy, folks.

4. Avoid using your high school level Spanish with native Spanish speakers

Any attempts to awkwardly "connect" will likely come off as cheesy and empty. And, please don't ask anyone to "speak Spanish" for your amusement because that's just disrespectful. Plus, not all Latinos speak Spanish so you may be striking another nerve.

5. Don't plan a trip to Mexico to celebrate a 'real' Cinco de Mayo

Outside of the state of Puebla in Mexico, the holiday isn't really celebrated at all. Even the celebrations in Puebla are much more tempered and family oriented. If you're genuinely interested in Mexico, head to San Diego, San Antonio or even Mexico City on September 16 and indulge in an authentic experience in all things Mexican.
farmerman

Reply Thu 5 May, 2016 11:48 am
@Linkat,
You realize that much of that is "US wanting to feel guilty for something that was not even on our calendar"
I worked in Oaxaca and lived near Puebla on the Zihuatenejo and the Oaxaca complexes looking for Uranium n Titanium. The locals in all the towns got really shitfaced. I can understand the need for a party, but "Cingo daoh" was like they won the worlds cup. The poor guys who ere chosen to dress up as Napoleons soldiers were pelted with rotten fruit and really bad bands would play for drinks. SO while they started off sounding like Ohio garqge Bands, the drunker they got the worse their tunes sounded.

AND, most everybody was still armed.
I dont think I wanna go bqck to Mexico ever again, NOT EVEN Zihuatenejo, or Cabo, or Yucatan. Its tougher than Detroit down there. I took my override checks and bailed thirty years ago
InfraBlue

Reply Thu 5 May, 2016 12:26 pm
@farmerman,
Jeez. And to think, some Americans go down there to retire.
farmerman

Reply Thu 5 May, 2016 04:34 pm
@InfraBlue,
and theyre never heard from again.
People go to Nigeria to retire too. .
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 5 May, 2016 04:42 pm
They don't need no stinkin' badges down there.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 5 May, 2016 06:31 pm
@InfraBlue,
I have friends who bought and operate a hotel in Oaxaca. They've been pretty happy for the past 30 years. I guess people can have different experiences.
farmerman

Reply Thu 5 May, 2016 07:36 pm
@ehBeth,
Of course, not everybody gets kidnapped or murdered. There are several tens of thousands of people in Detroit who swear by the place.

Id been searched at airport general aviation terminals almost every time we went into our field sites.
0 Replies