Match Maker, Match Maker......

ehBeth

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 01:54 pm
JLNobody wrote:
Jack, England is renowned for its class consciousness. How does Ireland compare in that regard?

JLN - check out P45.net if you want to read some fascinating discussions. It's an Irish board not too different from A2K - though skewed quite a bit younger. There have been quite a few heated discussions about race and class and culture there. North v South, Dublin v London. No one comes off looking too charming.

(errrrr, just don't say anything about being interested in your Irish heritage - that's open season for flaming there - they hate Irish heritage seekers - a lot)
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 02:14 pm
Hey, JL sneaked in here while I was searching for a painting. My word!

ehBeth, do you mean to tell me that hate is alive and well and living somewhere besides the Middle East? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Jack Webb

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 02:16 pm
Brit attitudes, class, Match-Making, poetry.
May be cavfancier, may be. I cannot imagine it myself but may be. Not all Irishmen have eyes that are smiling. And when they are you have probably heard the joke; something is up.

Well of course Ireland has its own brand of class consciousness just as any other country does. Match-making at Listonvoorna is an example of it. Most people everywhere look for the right fit in a wife or husband and their families. Only a clod throws realities to the winds and marries for love. Right?

Nice poetry there Letty. Nice stuff.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 02:17 pm
ohhhhhhhh yeah

p45 seems to have a quarterly go round on whether the North or the South or England is more racist.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 02:17 pm
It's not hate so much as annoyance. The number of Americans and Australians who show up there "stressing their connection" as the saying goes, becomes truly tedious for them. It's a great site though, and you would enjoy "Between the Sheets" (books) and "Blather" (blather), Miss Lettybettyhettygetty . . .

P45 Rant
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 02:31 pm
Remind me not to visit that site, ehBeth and Set.

Hmmm, Letty Getty. That has a nice ring to it.

Sir Paul Getty
(Filed: 18/04/2003)

Sir Paul Getty, the American-born multi-millionaire who died yesterday aged 70, was one of the most generous philanthropists Britain has ever seen.

How's that for class.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 02:33 pm
Hey, Jack. Thanks. It really was nothing. Just something that I worked on for over a year. Razz

And Set. I haven't read a book in over four years. I'm not certain what accounts for my reader's block.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 02:35 pm
Any good discussions on the fantastic movie 'The Field' on P45? I loved it when Tom Beringer got his head smashed in and was drowned with the donkey.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 02:36 pm
They've usually got quite decent film and book discussions over at P45.net. Tell them you know the bossman, and they might be nice to ya :wink:
0 Replies

Jack Webb

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 02:47 pm
The "Root" thing.
It may fascinate to look at the link between yourself and people in another country but who really cares other than maybe yourself?

I was curious to see the place my father decided to liquidate as part of an inheritance and not even bother to travel to Ireland to look at. He simply relied on the information provided by relatives there and there solicitor and that was that. A few acres of land and an old farmhouse remains and is now owned by non-family members. Beyond that I had no burning desire to match "roots" with distant relatives there. In fact the ones that I met were not particularly interesting.

It can get awful sickening when people go on about their "roots." It is somewhat like a man that was an S.O.B all of his life dies and all of a sudden he is a great guy! . . .. "Oh yes, I'm part Irish you know? My family came from County X. Oh yes we are all from Ireland, we're real Irishmen you know? See this photo of uncle Finebar? Doesn't he look just like my little son Tommy over there? Oh, the Irish are such fantastic people. I wish I could live there! Be with all those kind relatives and all. We'd be so happy together. Ahhhhhh I dream of "The Quiet Man", the Irish Spring. The quaintness of the folk! Maybe when Tommy gets a little older he can go over there to Ireland and find a good old fashioned Irish colleen down in Listenvoorna!" Twisted Evil
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 02:48 pm
You have no idea how funny that is, Jack Webb.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 02:51 pm
Very Happy
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 02:54 pm
Ahh, the tales I could tell about me Jewish relatives in Ireland, but that is indeed a duck of a different colour.
0 Replies

Jack Webb

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 04:39 pm
Lisdoonvarna match-making
Yes, I was spelling it wrong. Lisdoonvarna is the town in Ireland that hosts the annual matchmaking event. And mind you it is not closed to outsiders. Anxious boys and girls come from all over the world to meet in Lisdoonvarna. I don't know but I have heard nudist colonies draw far more old men than young girls. Let's hope that is not the case with Lisdoonvarna. I haven't been there so I cannot tell you. I might visit though. What's one more old guy? :wink:
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 05:01 pm
Jack, just a brief aside. Hate to tear myself away from a nude beach....but Afuzz just bit the dust.

Mixed emotions. For those of you who remember that forum...laid to rest and went not so quietly.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 05:20 pm
I know a wonderful joke about Lisdoonvarna, but most Americans wouldn't get it, because they wouldn't understand the Irish sense of humor, especially with regard to annoying American tourists . . . it's too long to post here anyway . . .

Oi'd like yis to meet me brither Michael, an' he don't know where Lisdoonvarna is nayther . . .
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 07:02 pm
Jack, thanks for the comment about Irish class consciousness. It would seem that the drug of love compels people of different classes to want to marry, but that their respective families, not being in love, insist on maintaining boundaries.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 08:10 pm
Letty: Your post led me to Abuzz and I started reading some threads. I can't believe what I saw. There was somebody there by the name of Letty saying that she'd never get involved in matchmaking again because the last one she matched ended in divorce. It must have been an imposter. (I'm sorry, but now I can't remember which thread it was.)
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 08:39 am
Hey, Raggedy. I said that on Abuzz? Well, you know that I'm consistent, right? <smile> You and I are a match, girl. We work those puzzles together, but you do have the upper hand. Razz
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 09:20 am
Letttttttttttttttttyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy !!!!
0 Replies