Bill Maher: GOP Really Doesn't Want To Win The Election

Olivier5

Tue 19 Apr, 2016 11:56 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
The way stop bullying is to stand up to it. If you hate Lash, that's your business. But if you keep dragging her name up in threads that she isn't even a part of, that is crossing a line to harassment.

Well said, Max. The haters need to be taught some manners.

Roger's allegation is also baseless. I was reading some 2008 election thread the other day and she was supporting Obama right from the start. While maporshe for instance hesitated between him and McCain till voting day... Don't know where Roger was.
Setanta

Wed 20 Apr, 2016 02:31 am
Max has been burnishing his halo lately. I guess it's OK for Max to say that "you guys" have got a lot of hate in you, but it's not OK for someone to suggest that Lash might, might be behaving dishonestly. To use one of Max's favorite, phony claims: "I love irony."
Olivier5

Wed 20 Apr, 2016 04:50 am
@Setanta,
To bitch about a poster in her absence is for cowards.
0 Replies

maporsche

Wed 20 Apr, 2016 05:39 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
While maporshe for instance hesitated between him and McCain till voting day.

I kind of liked McCain when he was a senator in AZ (where I lived for 8years). Running for president made him change just about every position I liked.

I was a Hillary supporter though. I liked Obama but I got sick of his grand plans and the hope and change stuff. I also liked some of Clintons positions better (I.e. The individual mandate). When Clinton lost and Obama supporters were also quite insufferable, I toyed around with voting McCain, trying to figure out if he was the candidate I liked in AZ or this new guy from the primaries (who I hated more and more).

In the end, I wizened up and voted for Obama. IIRC I made that decision well before November though. I expect most all Sanders supporters will do the same.

But let's be honest, McCain would be a much better president than TRUMP or CRUZ. To not vote for Clinton and let one of those two idiots into the White House......well, not good
engineer

Wed 20 Apr, 2016 05:58 am
@maporsche,
Yes, but could you justify putting Palin a heartbeat from the Oval Office?
oralloy

Wed 20 Apr, 2016 06:12 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
Roger's allegation is also baseless.

Is there any chance that Roger was being subtly sarcastic, and was voicing disagreement both with the idea that the Republicans want to lose and with the accusations against Lash?
maporsche

Wed 20 Apr, 2016 06:13 am
@engineer,
Not in 2008 for sure. The Palin selection removed any and all possibility of me voting for McCain (as small as that chance was).

In 2016 I still think McCain/Palin ticket would be preferable to a Trump or Cruz presidency. At least Palin wouldn't be signing any laws or doing any real foreign policy.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Wed 20 Apr, 2016 06:27 am
@engineer,
Reading threads from the 2008 campaign was interesting in that it showed that a similar dynamic unfolded 8 years ago on A2K, with the same characters playing almost the same roles.

And yes, with the same threats of voting for republicans out of being annoyed at the "wrong" democratic candidate winning the nomination... A big factor seems to be the annoyance about OTHER POSTERS. The message board negativity swirl seems an important reason why people threaten to vote for the opposition.

I can understand the feeling but rationally speaking, pro-Hillary A2K posters do not represent her. Nobody should judge Hillary by the lens of whatever derogative crap her supporters are spewing here on A2K. She's better than they are.
maporsche

Wed 20 Apr, 2016 06:36 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

I can understand the feeling but rationally speaking, pro-Hillary A2K posters do not represent her. Nobody should judge Hillary by the lens of whatever derogative crap her supporters are spewing here on A2K. She's better than they are.

Obama received record turnout and almost every Hillary supporter voted for him, including me. In real life, people behave differently than on a message board (although with social media growing so much and redifining real life, I somewhat fear that this is changing).

This is why those polls that show 33% of Sanders supporters are #bernieorbust people don't really matter except to scare voters in the primaries and to fill up newspapers and media time slots.
oralloy

Wed 20 Apr, 2016 06:45 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
And yes, with the same threats of voting for republicans out of being annoyed at the "wrong" democratic candidate winning the nomination... A big factor seems to be the annoyance about OTHER POSTERS. The message board negativity swirl seems an important reason why people threaten to vote for the opposition.

I carried out my threat to vote for Republicans if I ended up disenfranchised in the 2008 Michigan primary.

I used to search out pro-Second-Amendment Democrats and make sure to always support them with my vote.

But ever since 2008 I've voted for Republicans in every single office in every single general election. I even take the time to figure out who the Republican candidates are on the non-partisan section of the ballot (judges and the like).

There was one single exception to this. One single time a specific Democrat did something that I really liked, and I made an exception and voted for that one Democrat.

But that was an anomaly. Afterwards I went right back to voting for every single Republican candidate, and it is fairly likely that I will continue to vote for every single Republican candidate on my ballot for the rest of my life.

Just something for the Democrats to consider the next time they contemplate disenfranchising people.
maxdancona

Wed 20 Apr, 2016 06:59 am
@maporsche,
Weren't you a PUMA in 2008 maporsche?

Clinton supporters have seem to have forgotten the last election where they were losing.
maporsche

Wed 20 Apr, 2016 07:05 am
@maxdancona,
I don't know what a PUMA is, but I detailed my 2008 thoughts just a few posts before the one you quoted (here you go: http://able2know.org/topic/318451-2#post-6168074).

I've not forgotten 2008. I was a strong Clinton supporter, but I voted for Obama in November and I've supported him ever since. There are things of course that I'm not happy he's done (or not done), but on the whole he's been a very good president.

I was NEVER as anti-Obama as these #bernieorbust people are towards Clinton though. That being said, I expect that 90% of them will still cast their vote for Clinton versus Trump (or Cruz).

I have no problem with those #bernieorbust people who end up holding their nose for Clinton. Passion is a good thing. It's those last 10% that will hold my ire.

Blickers

Wed 20 Apr, 2016 07:10 am
@maxdancona,
Clinton is going to win on pledged, (elected), delegates anyway. Even Bill Clinton said he would vote for Sanders if he won New York, (Bill's current state).
Blickers

Wed 20 Apr, 2016 07:23 am
@oralloy,
Quote Oralloy:
Quote:
Just something for the Democrats to consider the next time they contemplate disenfranchising people.

To briefly recap, in 2008 the primary votes from Michigan were discounted by half or something in response to Michigan's breaking the Democratic rules.

This is not disenfranchisement. Your vote is only "franchised" for the election in November. The selection of a party's candidate is internal party business.
After all, the national conventions were invented so that party bosses, (who were elected in their home towns), could get together and decide who the nominee was. There were no primaries. Nobody's vote is guaranteed, because primaries are not public elections. They are internal exercises of the political parties.

Heck, I could start the Blickers Party, appoint myself Party Dictator-For-Life and decide to multiply the primary votes, (assuming I could get anyone to actually join the party), by their state's alphabetical position. So primary votes from Alabama would be multiplied by one, primary votes from California would be multiplied by 3, and primary votes from Wyoming would be multiplied by 23. It would all be perfectly legal.
engineer

Wed 20 Apr, 2016 07:26 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

I don't know what a PUMA is

Party Unity My Ass. (I think it had a slightly different official name). It was the Anti-Obama Dem organization.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Wed 20 Apr, 2016 07:38 am
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:

Clinton is going to win on pledged, (elected), delegates anyway. Even Bill Clinton said he would vote for Sanders if he won New York, (Bill's current state).

I accept that.

Although at this point in the 2008 election Clinton was still swinging away about Reverend Wright (of "God Damn America" fame) and claiming that Obama was too anti-gun to represent America.

I don't remember Obama supporters being such jerks after they had reached this point in the 2008 primary.

As leader of the party, it will be Hillary Clinton's responsibility to unite it. Attacking a significant part of her base is not a good strategy, nor is blaming Bernie for her failures. In 2008 Obama took the lead of uniting the party and did a good job.
maporsche

Wed 20 Apr, 2016 07:42 am
@maxdancona,
Clinton is not attacking anybody.

As for 2008, http://able2know.org/topic/275712-187#post-6168138
0 Replies

Blickers

Wed 20 Apr, 2016 07:45 am
@maxdancona,
I remember feeling real resentment at the Obama supporters for talking about Hillary getting out of the race "for the good of the party" after Obama took the lead. That's why I don't care when or if Bernie decides to quit-the fact that Hillary stuck it out until it really, really was not possible anymore made it easier for me to accept Obama as the nominee in a couple of days, because Hillary had her full shot.

Hillary supporters are doing a little of the same thing now, but not to the intensity the Obama supporters did. Let Bernie go on, give it the full effort until Bernie has decided it's time to bow out.
maporsche

Wed 20 Apr, 2016 07:48 am
@Blickers,
I have zero worries about the party uniting against Trump or Cruz. The general election won't even be close.

McCain was a more dangerous candidate than these clowns and that race wasn't close either.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Wed 20 Apr, 2016 07:50 am
@Blickers,
As a Bernie supporter... the suggestion that we aren't real Democrats is both insulting and counterproductive (from someone who counts on our votes in the general election).

For those of us who care about things like single payer healthcare, economic justice and fairness in the Middle East, Hillary as leader of the party, is going to have to accept that these are heartfelt issues for the core of her base.

Can you give an example of Obama supporters being jerks in 2008 to the extent that Clinton supporters are being now?

Maporsche wasn't able to come up with any examples yet in the other thread.