Are there other words which are pronounced like 'bury'?

Setanta

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2016 01:49 pm
@maxdancona,
By mobile home yokels, i mean those who were not educated well either at home or in school, and who therefore don't speak standard English--which has absolutely nothing to do with pronunciation.

You've become a f*cking legend in your own mind. Any subject you approach these days, you act as though you were expert in that subject. Standard English has nothing to do with pronunciation.
Setanta

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2016 01:53 pm
@chai2,
I've noticed that the network news organizations seem to prefer a Midwestern accent. What is truly bizarre is that the news readers on RTE (the Irish public radio and television system) sound like Midwesterners, too--except when they pronounce words with the British pronunciation. Then they sound like Canajuns. This is, so it was explained to me, the accent of the well-educated middle class in Dublin.
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2016 01:57 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
What is truly bizarre is that the news readers on RTE (the Irish public radio and television system) sound like Midwesterners,

When I was a kid I thought that Eamonn Andrews was an American.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bl-pUPhYzi8
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2016 02:09 pm
Yup, that's exactly what i mean.
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2016 02:11 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
who therefore don't speak standard English

My take on this is that there is not a single correct accent of English. There is no neutral accent of English. All speakers of English need to cope with many different aspects and learn how to understand them. Some accents are associated with social groups who have high prestige (the kinds of accents spoken by highly educated people, for example), but there are also many of these high prestige accents, all of them regionally based. The accents that are traditionally taught to non-native speakers of English are high prestige accents from various places.

The two most commonly taught accents (in the world as a whole) are both rather artificial: ‘General American’ (more or less a Mid-Western and West Coast accent, and used by some high prestige speakers outside this region too); and the British accent ‘RP’ (which developed in the private boarding schools of the nineteenth century, and is associated with high prestige groups in England). Both these accents are used over a wide geographical area, though in world terms both are regional accents (General American is a US accent, and RP is an accent of England). They are heard more, by more people in the country, than are accents which are associated with a smaller area: so people are familiar with them. These accents are the ones transcribed in dictionaries. Because they are used over wide areas, and used by people of high social class, they are seen as being suitable to teach to foreign learners of English. For this reason, they are called ‘reference varieties’.
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2016 02:16 pm
@Setanta,
Satirical media people nicknamed him "Shamus Android". You are very lucky that you probably don't have to fly around Europe using Ryanair. The cabin announcements are done in an intensely annoying "educated Dublin" accent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8TejiY7Ehg

It's a bit different from Shamus Android. Catch her saying "overwing egzits".

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2016 02:27 pm
Accent is less associated with class in the United States than it is with region, and that often involves prejudice. (There was an attempt to engender a "high class" accent in the 1930s, and Hollywood would send actors off to school to learn the "proper" way to speak--but it didn't take with the general population.) Many people are derisive of what they take for a New York accent (although people are so often wrong about the origin of the person speaking). Northerners are often contemptuous of people with a southern accent--even though there is a very wide variety of accents in the American south. I was watching a television program on natural history at a friend's apartment, and an expert on zoology was interviewed. He had a very thick "coastal" accent, the accent of those who inhabit the coastal islands of South Carolina and Georgia, or the nearby littoral. This accent is almost opaque to other Americans, including other southerners. This gentleman very likely was only comprehensible because he was university educated. My friend, raised and educated in Ohio, candidly acknowledged that even though he knew this man was highly educated, his automatic reaction on hearing the accent was to think "ignorant redneck." I tried to explain to him that the accent was uncommon even in the South, but he dismissed that by saying that they all sound the same.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2016 02:42 pm
@Setanta,
You are so full of yourself Setanta. Why do you take everything so personally. I don't remember a thread where you haven't felt the need to insult someone (or some group).

You used the term "mobile home yokels" to refer to people with a Boston accent after I used a bit of sarcasm (which might have gone over your head) to point out that there was no correct way to pronounce English.

I speak the way I speak, and people I care about generally understand what I am saying. The only word that has ever gotten me into trouble is the word "drawer".
Setanta

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2016 02:50 pm
@maxdancona,
I did not use the term mobile home yokel to refer to people with Boston accents. It is clear that you are the one who is full of himself. You were clearly attempting to suggest that the way you pronounce bury is typical of those who speak "standard English." Now you're attempting to back-peddle. Every thread i've seen you post in recently, you try to make out that your word is authoritative, that you're the expert. If challenged, you get whiny and complain about insults.

Here, here's something for you to complain about--you're a pompous, loud-mouthed bully, and like all bullies, a coward who runs off whining when confronted.
InfraBlue

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2016 03:02 pm
mark
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2016 03:39 pm
@Setanta,
You misunderstood me, Setanta. The joke went over your head. Don't worry, I forgive you.

Did I tell you that you are one of my favorite posters here?
farmerman

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2016 04:42 pm
@maxdancona,
we use a passenger rowboat the marina makes available. its a wheery. in new england they pronounce it "WARY", whereas down in the Southern Chesapeake they call em a "WORRY",

Regionalism seem to be disappearing though, and thats what gave American English its flavor.
Setanta

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2016 05:46 pm
@maxdancona,
Yeah, that's another of your feeble dodges. When you get caught with your pomposity showing, you just claim it was a joke. Ha-f*cking-haha.
Setanta

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2016 05:49 pm
Quote:
I am from the Northeastern US (the only place I have found that standard English is spoken).

Oh yeah, that was a joke, that was hilarious. Don't give up your day job.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2016 05:56 pm
Now I understand what all the commotion was about when I tried to board the fury from Edmonds to Kingston.

Whew!
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2016 05:57 pm
@Setanta,
I love you Setanta. You are such an earnest bully. You could have read the post immediately prior to the one you jumped off on. But, it doesn't really matter. Every thread you and I are in ends up with you yelling vulgarity at me (which I kind of look for now)

I am just hoping someday you and I can berry the hatchet.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2016 06:07 pm
@farmerman,
My uncle, well, not really--my aunt's fifth husband,whom i will call Ralph (not his real name)--he kept his sloop at Galesville, Maryland. We would go there, and there was this old guy in the marina who would come out when we showed up, and carry a huge old steel cooler of ice to the slip. which he would use to fill Ralph's cooler. He would laugh and smile and (i think) tell jokes, slap you on the back. He was a real nice guy. I could understand about one word in four. I once asked Ralph what he was saying. He said: "I'll be damned if i know."
farmerman

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2016 06:57 pm
@Setanta,
HA, We go over to Smith Island 'MERLIND" where they have that Eastern Shore " ELizabethan dialect"
Thats a good ratio of decipherable words. I can pick up whenever someone says "CRAYBS" n "ARSTERS". That usually means seafood

Setanta

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2016 07:00 pm
Galesville is on the western shore. Maybe he had tried to "lose" the accent.
farmerman

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2016 08:00 pm
@Setanta,
. Im familiar with Calvert and Solomons . Im not too familiar with the Annapolis area, other than to pass it at great speed.