Stuff you always have too much of

chai2

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2016 06:12 pm
My stapler probably runs out probably once a year, maybe twice if I've just lost my mind with containing papers.

Why is it when I went to get the box of staples, I found 3 of them, all full, except for one of them that has about 3 of those strips missing?

I have enough staples to last me this lifetime, and my next reincarnation.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 11 • Views: 2,707 • Replies: 33

ehBeth

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2016 06:34 pm
@chai2,
q-tips

I bought an industrial sized package at a Costco 15 or 20 years ago. I use maybe 30 q-tips a year. I'll be buried with the rest of that package.
chai2

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2016 06:44 pm
@ehBeth,
But such a deal at the time!

I just asked Wally about this. He thought for a moment, and said "boxes"

Oh god yes. There was a time when he would come across a yard sale, or go into a thrift store, and come home with 5 or 6 small knick knack boxes. He was so pleased with himself that they cost .25 or .50 a piece.

Drove me nuts. At least he has a man cave where he would keep all of them. Then they ended up in the attic. Must be a couple hundred of them. He'll say something like "we'll have a yard sale" my response is "WE"?

He hasn't done this for a few years, but I wonder what the archaeologists would make of this. Especially when this see this collection confined to one small area, and the rest of the houses footprint relatively minimilistic.

Probably "Ah, obviously a man who had a wife who was obsessed with buyingtrinkets. I see he was able to confine this mad womans activities to some extent."

chai2

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2016 06:45 pm
Ketchup packets.

They get purged when there's more than 5 of them.

As if I'm ever going to use them.

But they gave us ketchup packets!

Nail files/emery boards.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2016 06:55 pm
@chai2,
I don't buy small knick-knack boxes - but mid-sized carved wooden boxes? yes. I stash stuff in them, and stack them. I live in a house with no closets - wooden boxes are good. Hat boxes are good too.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2016 06:56 pm
@chai2,
hmmm I can purge the ketchup packages but not the vinegar packages

I like having them in purses/pockets. great for emergency cleaning needs.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2016 07:16 pm
Jars. I started out needing quart size Mason jars a long time ago. Don't remember why. But I have two dozen. Plus, I have a bunch of 8 oz Mason jars. Kept buying different shapes until I got just the right one. All those extras are too good to throw away.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2016 06:32 am
Screws, nuts, bolts, nails, cable grips, tacks and similar stuff.

Whenever I dismantle something or am renovating a house, I can never chuck away the aforementioned if they seem in any way reusable.
They initially get slung into the top shelf of my toolbox, but when that gets full I move them into proper storage facilities.

I have found that the plastic jars that once housed Costco Mixed Nuts are ideal for storing these things, and do my utmost to put them away into the correct jar when I have the time and inclination to sort out my toolbox.

At present I have at least eight Costco jars full of various handy aforementioned items, but for some reason often find myself out and about and in need, so I end up buying a packet of new stuff from the DIY store.
The excess new stuff gets chucked in the top shelf of my toolbox, etc etc.

HELP!
Linkat

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2016 09:52 am
@chai2,
Card board. Now with so much more stuff you order over the internet - too much card board.

We live in a town where you bring your stuff to the dump (no town trash pick up service) - so having lots of cardboard to bring to the dump to recycle is a pain in the a$$.
dlowan

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2016 11:18 am
@Linkat,
Clothes. And yet I never have anything to wear....
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2016 12:06 pm
@chai2,
Photos of former lovers in compromising positions plus various partially consumed brands of dry dog food plus electric guitars and amps.
chai2

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2016 03:24 pm
@Chumly,
This is why I have never let anyone take compromising pictures of me.
0 Replies

TomTomBinks

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2016 06:57 pm
@Lordyaswas,
It's hopeless. Give up. Resign yourself to be buried in a pile of assorted hardware.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2016 08:16 pm
@TomTomBinks,
Clothing that will never become stylish again, ever. I really should start bagging that stuff up and tossing it. Purses, I have too many purses and shoes. Some of them are in terrific shape but are so dated no one will want them. Cookbooks, I have more cookbooks than any person will ever need.

I have way too many books, but I'm hanging on to the books, and the music including 45 rpm's the 78's my dad owned, all the LP's and of course all the cd's. That will be somebody else's problem after I'm gone.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2016 08:23 pm
@glitterbag,
I keep my records, because they are a big part of who I am.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2016 08:33 pm
@edgarblythe,
I have too much stuff but I can't begin to get to the post office, much less in a timely fashion re amazon. Not every person with stuff is a hoarder.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2016 08:38 pm
@ossobuco,
My wife and I are borderline hoarder. It doesn't hurt anybody.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2016 08:40 pm
@edgarblythe,
It will if I just flake out and die.

I can't afford to make a will. Not kidding. I looked into it.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2016 08:42 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I keep my records, because they are a big part of who I am.

If I thought they would come for my music, I'd buy ammo for the shotgun.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2016 08:54 pm
@glitterbag,
When I was practically homeless, many years ago, I still managed to carry 33 1/3 albums with me.
0 Replies