9

Do the work or pay someone?

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 09:21 pm
With some home projects, even though you may be able to somethings, do you ever find yourself just paying someone else to do it instead of attempting it yourself?

My dishwasher broke. I have plumbing issues in both bathrooms.

I am attempting the dishwasher repair myself but farming out the plumbing. I find myself wishing I had paid for the dishwasher as well now...
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 4,007 • Replies: 13

Butrflynet

1  
Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 09:28 pm
@McGentrix,
All those problems could be related. We had similar drainage problems occurring in several locations of the house. Turns out that solving a problem in one of the bathrooms also resolved the problems in the other bathroom and kitchen.

And yes, we shipped out the problem. We had enough work to do from cleaning up the mess.

1  
Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 09:44 pm
Around the house, I do the work. I need help with automobiles.

McGentrix

2  
Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 11:20 pm
The plumbing is a different issue. The drain on the upstairs shower has separated from the base of the shower and leaked into the dining room. I cut a hole in the ceiling and thought I could patch it but I couldn't. The downstairs shower leaks when you pull the little plug up that stops water from coming out faucet and redirects the water to the shower head. The leak is in the pipe going up the wall. I can see the pipe from the basement so i can see the leak, but access is poor.

The dishwasher broke a week ago and I fixed it by taking the drain apart and found a piece of glass. 2 nights ago we heard a bang and the display on dishwasher was blinking ER... turned power off but never came on. Guy at store said it "could be control board, sensor near drain or drain motor." I instead bought a new dishwasher from Sears tonight and now I am wishing I paid the install fee... ugh
anonymously99stwin

1  
Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 11:25 pm
@McGentrix,
Do the work or pay someone?

Both. You could learn something.

CalamityJane

2  
Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 11:27 pm
@McGentrix,
Sears does a lot of repairs too! My 15 year old furnace wasn't working - two companies told me I need a new furnace and when I called Sears, they came out, said the panel was broken, it probably would cost around $ 400 - plus installation. I paid, they installed it and guaranteed it for 3 months. It's been 2.5 years and the furnace is working great!
They do repair all kinds of appliances, install them too, but unfortunately, no plumbing work.

1  
Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 11:41 pm
@McGentrix,
do you ever find yourself just paying someone else to do it instead of attempting it yourself?

All the time. I feel that, as long as I make enough that repairs and maintenance aren't a big drag on our means, why should I do something that is guaranteed by a pro?
Anyway, our status may be a bit different because we are a working farm and almost everything is tied to the operations (power, water, gas, computer wifi, vehicles except for one)

Lordyaswas

1  
Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2014 12:01 am
@McGentrix,
It depends whether I have the time or the expertise for any job that needs doing.

Basic electrics OK, as with basic plumbing. Plastering, painting, carpentry, groundwork I usually do myself, but when it gets a bit big and heavy, I usually get a pro.

McGentrix

4  
Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2014 09:22 pm
I have been victorious over the dishwasher! Oh it resisted. It did not want to play nice, but I made it succumb to my will.

1  
Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2014 10:08 am
@McGentrix,
/hires McG to come over and help with our occasionally temperamental washing machine/

1  
Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2014 10:10 am
@McGentrix,
We do that, probably more than we should. But this house is over a century old. Sometimes parts need to be completely replaced as the old stuff just isn't available anymore.

I mean, we have horsehide lath in some of our walls.

ossobuco

1  
Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2014 10:21 am
Either my husband or I did most stuff for a lot of years, except electrical and some plumbing. Oh, and roofing. And when we remodeled, we had a concrete contractor I knew pour us some foundation work and porch (my details). At one point I rebuilt our 1914 garage myself, having help only with drilling a couple of holes into concrete. But that was then.

Now, no way. Although.... I may try my hand at building a new gate (have designed plenty of gates and fencing, still have my detail drawings if I need to check something). Maybe this spring..

DebbieToscani

1  
Reply Tue 27 May, 2014 07:16 am
@McGentrix,
It's better if you pay someone to do the work because if you do it yourself, you might just cause more damage. But I think, it is also better if you teach yourself how to fix things around the house.
CBlack0

0  
Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2014 12:13 pm
@DebbieToscani,
Sometimes if you can find the time to DIY it can be fun if you enjoy it. I like to participate in my home renovations but my hubby plays the foreman. Smile