Don't sweat the small stuff?

dlowan

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 08:56 am
Ha! The small stuff drives me crazier than the big stuff ever does! Well, pretty much....

But seriously...am I weird? I can often manage major dramas with calmth and relative aplomb. I'm a foul weather friend. Come to me when you can't cope any more. I'm there for the big stuff.

But little stuff? I'm a grumpy, weepy mess.

Are you like this?

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 09:00 am
@dlowan,

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6hnfq5DZZ1rvwttvo1_500.gif
Setanta

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 11:07 am
I couldn't find the quotation (and not a lot of time to look for it), but Alexis de Tocqueville wrote that men will endure great injustics, but it is the small things which make them rebel.
dlowan

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 03:14 pm
@Setanta,
Ha! It's certainly the small things that make me angry....so I'm with him.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 03:14 pm
@Region Philbis,
Er.....yes, it is. And?
ossobuco

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 03:21 pm
A lot of us are reactive with our feelings, sometimes; a lot of us screen those while stuff is happening, temperately watching, hoping this stuff stops, working to calm it; a lot of us later find being reactive was smart or stupid; some of us wish we had been more reactive in one situation but not others. This is the theater of life, the small stuff.

Personally I've found that very/entirely controlled people bother me.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 03:25 pm
@dlowan,
a wise man once said, don't sweat the petty stuff

and never, ever, pet the sweaty stuff
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 04:00 pm
@dlowan,
I had twelve focused weeks of therapy trying to learn how not to let the small stuff dive me crazy. It worked to a degree. I still have to remind myself to get some perspective. I have to remind myself to let go and not stew.

And yes, you're weird, which is a compliment, coming from me.
Region Philbis

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 04:34 pm
@dlowan,

that's all i got...
aspvenom

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 04:42 pm
@dlowan,
No, but I think I have a solution. Let's start by shaving that cute wabbit fur, then you won't be as sweaty. Then I'm thinking of dunking you in a cold water for a sec. That ought to cheer you right up.
dlowan

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 07:12 pm
@aspvenom,
aspvenom wrote:

No, but I think I have a solution. Let's start by shaving that cute wabbit fur, then you won't be as sweaty. Then I'm thinking of dunking you in a cold water for a sec. That ought to cheer you right up.

It would certainly lead to an end of all YOUR earthly troubles, she said darkly.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 07:13 pm
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

that's all i got...

I am very sorry to hear that.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 07:19 pm
@Roberta,
I'm busily practicing mindfulness, which I am not very good at.

I was proud of myself this week. All manner of difficult work things have been happening, I hurt myself again etc. I was pretty much sailing through it....until I finally made my moving company manager respond to my claim over the steam cleaner they didn't deliver then clearly delivered where it didn't belong.

He's used all manner of tricks to avoid responding....but I pinned him. He then said they wouldn't pay.

This is the kind of dumb thing that REALLY gets my goat.....can upset me for way too long. So I mindfulnessed for all I was worth and got over it fast.

Also sent him a spiffing email......looked at his reply yesterday and to my surprise he's given in.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 07:56 pm
You can do anything but lay off of my blue suede shoes.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 09:00 pm
@dlowan,
Good for you, Mindfullofit. (keep on)
dlowan

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2012 01:40 am
@ossobuco,
It worked until I lost power to my switches today.....Saturday.

I am on call and therefore must have my mobile. No way to recharge it! No wifi to try and google local electricians! Landline battery had run out! It's Saturday and it's very hard to get an electrician out to fix anything!

Was on verge of going into city to stay with friends, so that I could at least be sure of getting any emergency calls....but a local electrician came out.

Phew.

I sweated it. I confess.
Roberta

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2012 02:36 am
@dlowan,
This sounds eminently sweat-worthy, Deb. Glad the electrician showed up.
dlowan

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2012 04:10 am
@Roberta,
Let there be light!
0 Replies