Why is suicide wrong?

Setanta

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2016 06:06 am
0 Replies

Amoh5

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2016 06:36 am
@Robin Macson,
You are correct, suicide is an illness, therefore it is wrong and irrational.
Why? Because no one in their right or well mind wishes to commit suicide. Well minded people wish to be happy and successful. No one ever wishes to be overwhelmed by misfortune and grief.
However, I agree that most people (including me)have had a spat with this illness at one stage in their lives, and its usually when things don't go our way.
I suppose imperfection can make us involuntarily very unwell if we don't have supportive things to fall back on like positive people and activities.
But I don't think you should hold a grudge against
your fiance, he got mentally unwell, like catching a flu or something. It obviously wasn't his real or well intentions. However its ok to be angry and hate his involuntary unsafe actions. I hope these feelings will pass for you.
We all wish to be invincible against imperfection, illness and harm, but in reality we can only be as vigilant as we possibly can.
The battle against imperfection, unwellness and harm is an ongoing reality for all of us. That's one of the reasons why I became a Christian...
Leadfoot

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2016 07:13 am
@Amoh5,
I know you are picky about which parts of the bible you endorse but I assume you wouldn't like this bit..

Quote:
2Corinthians 5:8
We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.
Amoh5

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2016 07:27 am
@Leadfoot,
Astral travel? Maybe just wishful thinking...
Leadfoot

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2016 11:26 am
@Amoh5,
I'm sure interpreting that verse won't challenge anyone. Even you.
Amoh5

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2016 06:57 pm
@Leadfoot,
Ok seriously then Leadfoot, It seems to have been written by someone highly filled with emotion and wonder, not to mention forgetting his daily chores...
Leadfoot

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2016 10:16 pm
@Amoh5,
Quote:
Ok seriously then Leadfoot, It seems to have been written by someone highly filled with emotion and wonder, not to mention forgetting his daily chores...
You have never been filled with emotion and wonder? That's just sad, especially for one claiming to follow Christ.

Sometimes it's best to not get obsessed with daily chores. You might miss the wonder.
Amoh5

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2016 10:44 pm
@Leadfoot,
Ok, very seriously then Leadfoot, He seems very overwhelmed by the spirit of our Lord to a point where his daily chores are no longer relevant to him. However, as a Christian I think Lord Jesus wants us to be filled with the holy spirit, but at the same remembering our daily chores and commitments. I have never read any verses from Lord Jesus telling us to give up on our daily lives...
Leadfoot

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2016 06:10 am
@Amoh5,
I don't think Jesus advocated suicide (although he himself committed suicide by cop) he frequently told his followers not to fear death. It isn't in the bible but other texts record that all his apostles except John also chose to die rather than deny their beliefs. The following is the account of how Andrew went:
Quote:
After being whipped severely by seven soldiers, they tied his body to the cross with cords to prolong his agony. His followers reported that when he was led toward the cross, Andrew saluted it in these words: “I have long desired and expected this happy hour."

I guess he didn't finish his chores that day.
Amoh5

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2016 12:19 pm
@Leadfoot,
I don't think Lord Jesus or his apostles committed suicide. Like most teachers of God, they chose not to run away in fear from sick-minded people...
Leadfoot

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2016 02:10 pm
@Amoh5,
Quote:
I don't think Lord Jesus or his apostles committed suicide.
You can use another term for it but if you are familiar with Jesus' words, it is abundantly clear that he knew his fate. He could have easily avoided it if he wanted.
Sturgis

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2016 03:11 pm
@Amoh5,
In fact, Judas Iscariot was said to have committed suicide after handing back the money he'd been given for his betrayal of Jesus (according to the book of Matthew...chapter 27). He decided to hang himself.

0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2016 03:15 pm
@Amoh5,
If suicide is an illness, or brought on by a form of mental illness, then it cannot be considered wrong. A person does not decide to have mental illness, therefore whatever actions take place while suffering its symptoms would not be considered wrong or sinful.

Amoh5

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2016 10:00 pm
@Sturgis,
Yes, Judas did get sick and hung himself.
We mean wrong as in unwell thinking and behaviour, therefore wrong thinking and behaviour, or sinful thinking and behaviour. I think you are more in questioning their level of innocence. I think they are fully innocent. A human being is not naturally programmed to suicide, therefore they must be involuntarily corrupted somewhere upstairs...
0 Replies

Amoh5

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2016 10:31 pm
@Leadfoot,
Your Quote:
You can use another term for it but if you are familiar with Jesus' words, it is abundantly clear that he knew his fate. He could have easily avoided it if he wanted.
I think his term of action is similiar to that of a parent who would risk their life for the safety of their child, therefore fury has no fear...
Leadfoot

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2016 06:13 am
@Amoh5,
Quote:
I think his term of action is similiar to that of a parent who would risk their life for the safety of their child, therefore fury has no fear...
Maybe you meant love has no fear?

But I don't think your analogy is quite right. The parent risking their life has the hope that they will not die in the attempt to rescue the child. Jesus did not have that. He knew full well he was going to suffer death, the same death we will. His example is for us to live with that same fearless attitude, even unto death.

For the skeptics, Yes, he knew he would rise again but we have the same belief.
Amoh5

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2016 07:18 am
@Leadfoot,
I should have said the fury of love has no fear.
I don't believe Lord Jesus wanted to die, but the circumstances were too obvious to him...
Leadfoot

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2016 07:29 am
@Amoh5,
No, he volunteered for that mission.
Said to God:
"Let not my will be done but yours". And he knew full well what the mission was and how it would end.
Amoh5

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2016 07:44 am
@Leadfoot,
So therefore, his term of action was a parental love for humanity inspired by God the Father...
Leadfoot

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2016 07:49 am
@Amoh5,
I can live with that, although his love for humanity came quite naturally. He and God did sit down together and made man in their own image after all.