Bernie Sanders: I'll do anything to break up big banks, but I won't do that.

DrewDad

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2016 07:27 am
http://www.businessinsider.com/bernie-sanders-wall-street-banks-daily-news-2016-4?

Quote:
Bernie Sanders had a difficult time explaining his biggest campaign platform in a tough new interview with the Daily News that was published on Monday.

The Democratic presidential candidate told the New York tabloid that he didn't know whether the Federal Reserve has the authority to break up the big Wall Street banks he decries along the campaign trail.

He also said that he hadn't studied the legal implications of doing so, and couldn't explain how he would have actually gone about prosecuting major Wall Street executives following the 2008 financial crisis.

Sanders was repeatedly pressed on his plans to break about the major financial institutions after he told the Daily News editorial board that JPMorgan Chase "and virtually every other major bank in this country" are destroying the fabric of the US.

Quote:
"I don't know."
"It's something I have not studied."
"I haven’t thought about it a whole lot."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 18 • Views: 3,622 • Replies: 48

parados

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2016 07:51 am
@DrewDad,
Quote:
"I don't know."
"It's something I have not studied."
"I haven’t thought about it a whole lot."

But I promise I'll do it as soon as I am elected President!
rosborne979

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2016 10:34 am
@parados,
It's ok to look. But don't look TOO closely at any of these candidates.
maporsche

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2016 10:54 am
I just read some of this.

I'd like to see all candidates put through the ringer like this.
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2016 11:34 am
@maporsche,
Quote:
I'd like to see all candidates put through the ringer like this.

I'd rather see them put through the wringer.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2016 11:41 am
@rosborne979,
he has a magic suit (all the candidates get one)

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2016 01:12 pm
http://16004-presscdn-0-50.pagely.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/hillary-queen.png

I would like to hear what she would do to break up big banks.

It is a shame that this coronation has to be delayed by an electoral process.
maporsche

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2016 01:19 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

It is a shame that this coronation has to be delayed by an electoral process.

You know, with SO MUCH criticism of Sec. Clinton and her positions on this site, you'd think you'd be able to handle a little bit about your boy Bernie.
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2016 02:05 pm
Why the vote downs? It's a wringer with a w.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2016 02:15 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
I take the votes to be because it is not a grammar or spelling thread, and the majority of us make mistakes from time to time when we are speaking or writing.
I didn't vote you down, but understand the irritation of whoever did (and don't tell me it is whomever, as I don't care).
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2016 02:45 pm
Robert Reich wrote:
The criticism is bonkers. Bernie was absolutely correct when he said the President has the authority to break up the big banks under Dodd-Frank. He's repeatedly specified exactly how he'd use that Dodd-Frank authority to do so. His critics are confusing the Dodd-Frank Act with the Federal Reserve. Whether the Fed has the authority on its own to break up the biggest banks is irrelevant.
Clearly, Bernie has the Democratic establishment worried enough to try to twist his words into pretzels.

This is a fact-free attack from a nasty Clinton campaign who is worried about losing New York.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2016 02:56 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad,

Did you actually read the interview as a primary source? Or did you just read the hit piece and swallow it without bothering to read for yourself?

parados

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2016 03:04 pm
@maxdancona,
Don't you mean it's a shame she is actually getting the most votes and will win with the most votes when all is said and done? She has hardly been coronated.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2016 04:24 pm
@parados,
She was coronated before the first vote was cast. The DNC establishment has bent over backwards to push out better candidates, including Elizabeth Warren from entering the race.

And now she is very angry that anyone dared to challenge her right to be president. That is why you are seeing these hit pieces.

The primary election isn't over yet.

parados

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2016 04:27 pm
@maxdancona,
Hit pieces? Geez, where have you been the last year? I see piece after piece accusing Hillary of things that then admit there is no evidence. This idea that the media loves Hillary and is doing hit pieces on Bernie while supporting Hillary is complete nonsense.
parados

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2016 04:32 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:

The primary election isn't over yet.

No, it isn't over mathematically for Bernie.

It effectively is because there doesn't seem to be a path for Bernie to win the nomination. He doesn't have that much support in the remaining contests. He is unlikely to get that support in the remaining contests. Bernie won't be getting 57% of the vote in NY in a week and a half. He won't be getting 60% in PA, MD, CT the week after that. That means he is going to need over 80% in California in June. That certainly won't be happening.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2016 04:57 pm
@parados,
The Bernieites thought they had a messiah but have found he has feet of clay. He has been claiming since he started his campaign that he is going to break up the banks but hasent worried about how he is going to go about it? Shades of Ronny Raygun. If he needs notes to push his main claim to fame than I wont vote for him over Clinton and anyone who does is bonkers.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2016 05:01 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

DrewDad,

Did you actually read the interview as a primary source? Or did you just read the hit piece and swallow it without bothering to read for yourself?

I read several articles as well as excerpts from the interview (not all having to do with the issue of the banks).

I'm sure you go back to primary sources and fully research every piece of information you consume, as well.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2016 05:06 pm
@DrewDad,
Yes, I recognize a political hit piece when I see one. I don't deny that there are political hit pieces on Hillary... but I certainly don't spread them myself.

And, I read both sides of a story before I decide whether it is true or not. This is clearly political anti-Bernie spin, which apparently several people here swallowed without much thought.

Read the interview in context and see if you can't see past your ideological bias.

ossobuco

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2016 05:13 pm
To add a soft interlude: I would invite Bernie to dinner at my small abode, though of course he never heard of me and would be too busy, but I wouldn't invite Hillary. I'll let her be President though, if she is nominee. I'll ask the new chef to make some donuts for all.
0 Replies