Bernie Sanders: I'll do anything to break up big banks, but I won't do that.

maxdancona

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2016 05:18 pm
My reasons for not wanting to support Hillary are well-thought out. Please tell me if you see any fact-based reasons that I am wrong (of course you are free to disagree with me on my opinions).

- She has in the past supported war, and her foreign policy continues to be hawkish.

- She strongly supports Israel and has said so herself. This includes her unwillingness to publicly pressure Israel's settler policy (which I find quite troubling).

- She has already ruled out single payer health care.

- She has come late to several areas of social justice, and tends to take moderate positions that aren't politically risky.

There are many of us on the left who have these reservations about Hillary. We have had these reservations long before this primary season, all the way back to the first Clinton administration.

Here is the funny thing... assuming that Clinton wins the Coronation she feels she deserves (and I will admit that it is likely) she is then going to come to me, and all the people like me, to ask for my vote. The decent way to do this, and the most likely to succeed, is to thank us for our passionate support and admit that Bernie Sanders represents an important part (and a significant part) of the democratic base.

Hillary Clinton has no right to be angry that Bernie Sanders is doing so well. Nor does she have the right that he continues his challenge against her as long as it takes.

And in the long run, these hit pieces are petty and they are short-sighted. I don't owe Hillary Clinton my vote. She has to earn it... the idea that we all have to fall in line with the anointed leader of the party is one of the reasons that Hillary Clinton hasn't sewn up the nomination by now.
Lash

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2016 05:28 pm
@maxdancona,
Very well said.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2016 07:35 pm
@parados,
Complaints when the media doesn't report on Mr. Sanders, complaints when they provide full transcripts of interviews with him.

It is definitely getting more entertaining.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2016 07:36 pm
@DrewDad,
I read the transcript. The reports on it I've seen have been accurate.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2016 08:16 pm
@ehBeth,
Not surprisingly, the people who are supporting Hillary think that the interview was disastrous for Bernie, and the people who are supporting Bernie think he did fine and continued to distinguish himself from Hillary.

Everyone sees what they want to see. I am not sure where that gets us (although I sure hope it gets us New York).
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2016 07:25 am
Quote:
Bernie Sanders doesn’t know whether President Obama’s signature counterterrorism strategy, drone strikes, is the right approach to the problem. Fifteen years into a bitter national debate about Guantanamo Bay, he hasn’t thought much about where he would imprison and interrogate a captured terrorist leader. He can’t explain his call for Israel to pull back from some settlements on Palestinian land because he doesn’t have “some paper” in front of him. He also can’t say why he doesn’t support Palestinians taking action against Israel before the International Criminal Court.

Those are all takeaways from a New York Daily News interview with Sanders, whose long-shot campaign for the Democratic presidential nomination has surprised many observers by mounting a real challenge to former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

The Vermont senator’s potent message to voters in 2016 has focused on economic issues, arguing that the very rich have rigged the system in their favor with the help of venal politicians. He has marketed himself as the candidate who will upend the system and has leveraged that appeal into an unlikely string of primary victories, in part thanks to a well-organized campaign ground game and an online machinery that is without peer in the Senate.

He never intended to focus on international relations.

As late as August 2015, when Yahoo News looked at how Sanders would handle foreign policy, his official campaign website did not even have a section on world affairs — though his team has since added one. Sanders has relied on one weapon in his national security duel with Clinton: She voted in favor of authorizing George W. Bush to go to war in Iraq; he voted against it. That argument worked for Obama in 2008, the senator’s aides seem to think, so why not now?

Clinton, who rarely misses a chance to refer to her crisis meetings with Obama in the White House Situation Room and peppers her national security remarks with names of foreign leaders she has met, isn’t invulnerable on foreign policy. Far from it.

But what the awkward Daily News interview confirms is that she has little to fear on that score from the iconoclastic senator from Vermont.

The April 1 question-and-answer session came just a couple of weeks after Sanders laid out his Middle East policy in a detailed speech in Utah that seemed designed to show fluency in world affairs, whatever one might think of the policy particulars. There were common themes to both sets of remarks — defeating the Islamic State requires Muslim ground troops, Middle East peace requires compromises from all sides, etc. But the Sanders who turned up for the interview seemed to have lost fluency on some central questions for candidates vying to be commander in chief.

Sanders repeated his call for Israel to hold off from building new settlements in the West Bank and to pull back from some existing ones that he called “illegal.”

The Daily News asked how much Israel should pull back.

“You’re asking me a very fair question, and if I had some paper in front of me, I would give you a better answer,” Sanders replied. “But I think if the expansion was illegal, moving into territory that was not their territory, I think withdrawal from those territories is appropriate.”

So, if the United States were to determine that some settlements are illegal under existing treaties and agreements, then a Sanders administration would expect Israel to pull back?

“Israel will make their own decisions,” Sanders replied.

The Daily News continued, asking him if he supports the Palestinian leadership’s efforts to drag Israel before the International Criminal Court over alleged war crimes.

No, said Sanders.

“Why not?” the Daily News asked.

“Look, why don’t I support a million things in the world? I’m just telling you that I happen to believe,” said the senator, who went on to say that Israel’s military had engaged in indiscriminate bombings of Palestinians but never said why he opposed bringing in the ICC.

Turning to drone strikes, the Daily News incorrectly said Obama had taken the program away from the CIA and given it to the military, then noted the yearslong controversy over the tactic.

“Do you believe that he’s got the right policy there?” the editorial board asked.

“I don’t know the answer to that. What I do know is that drones are a modern weapon,” Sanders said.

The senator noted that civilian casualties from drone strikes undermine U.S. goals and urged that “whoever is in control of that policy, it has to be refined so that we are killing the people we want to kill and not innocent collateral damage.” (Sanders would have been on firmer ground simply by starting his answer with the mixed assessment he delivered, which echoes some of Obama’s own public remarks about drones.)

Where would a Sanders administration imprison and interrogate a captured Islamic State commander?

“Actually I haven’t thought about it a whole lot,” the senator answered. Sanders went on to say that such prisoners should be held in a safe, secure locale, ideally not far from where they were captured, and that he was open to jailing them on U.S. soil.

That’s seen as a necessary position for anyone who supports closing the detention center for suspected extremists at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. Sanders the presidential candidate supports doing so, while Sanders the senator’s record is mixed.

Sanders isn’t as much of a foreign policy cipher as his opponent and many commentators suggest. He’s not a pacifist, and while he tends to oppose military interventions, he backed the 2001 invasion of Afghanistan and voted in favor of giving President Bill Clinton the authority to carry out airstrikes against Serbian targets in Yugoslavia in 1999. He supports the Iran nuclear deal. He opposes Obama’s sweeping trade agreement with Pacific nations. He’s more supportive of the president’s approach to Syria than Clinton, who has called for establishing and defending no-fly zones and repeatedly noted that she favored arming Syrian rebels while Obama did not.

But with the Daily News interview, Sanders played into the hands of critics who charge he simply isn’t interested in or informed about foreign affairs. The Clinton campaign didn’t hesitate to send the transcript of Sanders’ interview to its mass email list.

source
maxdancona

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2016 07:44 am
@revelette2,
As Hillary Clinton to answer these same questions and you will get well-rehearsed non-answers that reassure the Pro-Netanyahu side that nothing will change while avoiding any hot-button issues that would make headlines.

Let's take this hit piece of an article you cut and pasted. Even if the caricature of Bernie in this article were accurate... I would still prefer it to Hillary Clinton's hawkish stance.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2016 07:49 am
@maxdancona,
For the record, I have never said that Bernie was perfect. I like his economic stance (for the most part) and I like the fact that he doesn't bend to the establishment (which is beholden to special interests). There are a couple of places I disagree with him (I am to the right of him on trade). But I like his integrity and his grit.

I really disliked the first Clinton administration. Time after time they subverted progressive policies; weakening them to the point where they looked politically good while accomplishing nothing or sometimes causing harm. "Don't Ask Don't Tell", "End of Welfare as We Know It" and the tough on crime bills are three examples of this. By the way... this doesn't mean I oppose everything the first Clinton administration did.

But, as a progressive... I am not looking forward to a second Clinton administration (and I see no indication that Hillary be much different).
revelette2

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2016 08:17 am
@maxdancona,
I doubt her answers will be rehearsed in the sense of her not knowing the answers but she just memorized them from a piece of paper. She probably knows the answers so well they come automatic as these issues have been around for ages. I agree about Israel, but when you get down to it, Sanders really has no plans to change the status quo himself. Obama has said the settlements were illegal but has done nothing about it, I suspect neither will Sanders should he become president.
DrewDad

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2016 08:14 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Yes, I recognize a political hit piece when I see one.

I know, right? The nerve of those journalists, asking specific questions and then reporting Sanders' responses in full! What's next, fact checking?
Setanta

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2016 08:17 am
@DrewDad,
Ah-hahahahahahahahaha . . .

I enjoyed that.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2016 12:35 pm
In my opinion, Eric Hoffer's The True Believer nicely outlines much of the following of Bernie. The soft cover edition of this book had a drawing of someone running up a mountain with a flag with the word Excelsior on it. I thought the message of Hoffer's thinking was that those that join mass movements are oftentimes just wasted energy on the alter of the true believer, without the goal ever being achieved.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2016 01:49 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
I'm with her!

This is not an example of people joining a mass movement against an anointed (albeit supremely qualified) leader.

I will admit that part of my support of Bernie stems from a dislike of the Clintons.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2016 02:51 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
For the record, I have never said that Bernie was perfect.

Whoa!! You sure you want to make that wild a leap? You might want to discuss that with the more rabid Bernie-or-busters before you make that kind of concession!!
maxdancona

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2016 10:45 pm
@snood,
I dunno Snood. I seem to remember having the same conversation about Obama in 2008 (oddly enough, with Clinton supporters).

And please tell me again how Hillary is the most fantastically qualified person in the history of the Galaxy.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2016 07:05 am
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:

I doubt her answers will be rehearsed in the sense of her not knowing the answers but she just memorized them from a piece of paper. She probably knows the answers so well they come automatic as these issues have been around for ages. I agree about Israel, but when you get down to it, Sanders really has no plans to change the status quo himself. Obama has said the settlements were illegal but has done nothing about it, I suspect neither will Sanders should he become president.

That's unfair to Obama. He and Kerry pushed hard.
revelette2

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2016 07:59 am
@Olivier5,
I was thinking of when the Palestinians wanted to have their state recognized at the UN, we voted no and such actions.

Olivier5

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2016 06:44 am
@revelette2,
Palestine got a seat at the UN general assembly irrespective of the US vote, which was symbolical. This said, I agree that Obama should have voted in favor.
revelette2

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2016 07:41 am
@Olivier5,
Like you I am glad they got a vote in the general assembly (I actually didn't know and it is good new to me) even if symbolic. It acknowledges them as a state even if symbolically so, it was important to them and meant something or else they wouldn't have fought for it and Israel and US wouldn't have disagreed. I agree Obama should have voted yes. His reasoning was if Palestine gets what they want without a peace settlement then no concessions will be made. But since it was symbolic, there would have still needed a peace settlement to make it official so I don't understand that reasoning.
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2016 07:51 pm
@DrewDad,
Sounds like this is something even he knows is unrealistic. I get the "too big to fail" argument but prefer increasing capital requirements vs breaking up banks, anyone here have a good argument in favor of that?