no sex drive

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 10:52 am
Help... My husband and I have been together for 5 years now, he is the most wonderful husband anyone could ask for. My problem is that I have no sex drive and he has a large one. We have four children but the youngest is three so I can not blame it on that:) I just do not have the desire. He is great about it and never says anything bed but I feel horrible just the same. like i am not satisfying his need. can anyone suggest anything??
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,115 • Replies: 40
No top replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 10:59 am
Are you on any medication (you don't really need to answer)? Some types of medication can lower the sex drive. My wife, who is on birth control, had a huge sex drive when we first met. Then she changed brands (due to insurance stuff) and it went away. Then recently she changed again when Orth Lite came out and low and behold...increased sex drive again.
0 Replies

swestover

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 11:07 am
I have been on the deprovera shot for 2 years now. I love my husband and think he is very handsome and sexy but when it comes to sex i can take it or leave it. Maybe time to switch birth control....

jpinMilwaukee wrote:
Are you on any medication (you don't really need to answer)? Some types of medication can lower the sex drive. My wife, who is on birth control, had a huge sex drive when we first met. Then she changed brands (due to insurance stuff) and it went away. Then recently she changed again when Orth Lite came out and low and behold...increased sex drive again.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 11:20 am
It might be worth a shot. My wife mentioned that the lost of appetite happened to a couple of her friends also after switching birth control.

I've always said, "what good is birth control if you don't put it to use?"

Hope this helps Swestover. Good luck, have fun and welcome to a2k.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 11:26 am
And if it isn't birth control, there are other possible reasons - keep checking with your doctor if that's not the answer.

And, to echo jpinMilwaukee, welcome to A2K! :-D
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 11:28 am
I agree with JP that medications can have an effect on sex drive, so that could be the issue. But if not, you may just have to face facts that your sex drive and your husbands are on opposite ends of the spectrum. This has been the case with my wife and I. We have been married for 22 years and early on we had a few disagreements over sex. Her sex drive was almost non-existent while mine was on overdrive. So how did we last? Easy. We each gave a little.

I think couples get too caught up (especially young couples) over how often they have sex. My wife and I knew we loved each other for more than just the sex. Because of this, I was willing to accept less sex and she was willing to work at having a bit more. I appreciated her for it because I know there were times we made love that she really did not much feel like it, but she did so to please me.

One other thing I found out. As we came to a happy medium, our love life slowly improved. She found herself having orgasms more often because I was more attentive during our lovemaking (more from wanting our lovemaking to last than anything else I think Smile ) This in turn gave her a greater desire for sex on a more regular basis. And voila!, now it has been 22 years and I wouldn't trade a minute of it.

So, the point of my novel here is to work together and come up with a happy medium. Just show him you want to satisfy him and make him happy. Oh, one last thing my wife found that may also ease things for you. There were times she did not feel like having intercourse, but knowing I did, she would take the time to give me a wonderful hand job. We both went to bed happy!! :wink:
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 11:41 am
Sex drive is affected by a lot of factors. Stress, depression and fatigue are just a few. Have you talked to your husband about it? Raising children is difficult. Chances are there isn't something wrong with you. You are probably just in a down cycle. Good luck!
0 Replies

swestover

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 11:42 am
Thank everyone so much! Your wife could be me... I have very little sex drive but I still try to satisfy my husband whenever i can. I have found that once we get going I am fine but it is getting it going that I have no desire to do. My poor husband has been wonderful I jsut feel that I am taking something away from him that he deserves.

CoastalRat wrote:
I agree with JP that medications can have an effect on sex drive, so that could be the issue. But if not, you may just have to
face facts that your sex drive and your husbands are on opposite ends of the spectrum. This has been the case with my wife and I. We have been married for 22 years and early on we had a few disagreements over sex. Her sex drive was almost non-existent while mine was on overdrive. So how did we last? Easy. We each gave a little.

I think couples get too caught up (especially young couples) over how often they have sex. My wife and I knew we loved each other for more than just the sex. Because of this, I was willing to accept less sex and she was willing to work at having a bit more. I appreciated her for it because I know there were times we made love that she really did not much feel like it, but she did so to please me.

One other thing I found out. As we came to a happy medium, our love life slowly improved. She found herself having orgasms more often because I was more attentive during our lovemaking (more from wanting our lovemaking to last than anything else I think Smile ) This in turn gave her a greater desire for sex on a more regular basis. And voila!, now it has been 22 years and I wouldn't trade a minute of it.

So, the point of my novel here is to work together and come up with a happy medium. Just show him you want to satisfy him and make him happy. Oh, one last thing my wife found that may also ease things for you. There were times she did not feel like having intercourse, but knowing I did, she would take the time to give me a wonderful hand job. We both went to bed happy!! :wink:
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 11:47 am
Hey, when you have love, a lot of things can be overcome. You just keep trying. It seems you have an understanding husband, so you just keep working at it. Gosh, now I think I will call my wife and remind her how much I love her. Smile
0 Replies

swestover

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 11:54 am
I am on bc to prevent pregnancy, but your right if it makes me not want to have sex what is the point?? I have talked to my doctor but his attitude was more like "oh well"

jpinMilwaukee wrote:
It might be worth a shot. My wife mentioned that the lost of appetite happened to a couple of her friends also after switching birth control.

I've always said, "what good is birth control if you don't put it to use?"

Hope this helps Swestover. Good luck, have fun and welcome to a2k.
0 Replies

swestover

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 11:56 am
I have the best husband in the world in my opinion.. He is very good to me no matter what. That is what makes me feel all the worse though. He does so much for me and puts up with all this and what does he get in return?? NO SEX!! poor guy. You should tell your wife you love her a thousand times a day. That is one thing my husband knows that i love him and try to do all I can for him every day.

CoastalRat wrote:
Hey, when you have love, a lot of things can be overcome. You just keep trying. It seems you have an understanding husband, so you just keep working at it. Gosh, now I think I will call my wife and remind her how much I love her. Smile
0 Replies

swestover

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 11:57 am
My doctor does not seem concerned he said it can be a side affect and that i have to live with it if i want to be on bc. how do you know for sure it is the bc though? could something else be wrong?

jespah wrote:
And if it isn't birth control, there are other possible reasons - keep checking with your doctor if that's not the answer.

0 Replies

swestover

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 12:00 pm
Stress??? with three kids, a job and worring about having a sex drive?? no not in my life Very Happy I guess it is possible that i am just tired and stressed but for two years?

Kristie wrote:
Sex drive is affected by a lot of factors. Stress, depression and fatigue are just a few. Have you talked to your husband about it? Raising children is difficult. Chances are there isn't something wrong with you. You are probably just in a down cycle. Good luck!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 12:12 pm
Do you feel "touched out" sometimes? I ask because of the combination of not really wanting to get things going, but being fine once they do, and the fact that you have four kids, the youngest only 3. I'm a stay-at-home mom and I definitely have to consciously do a shift after a day of having my 3.75 yr old hanging on me all day. My initial reaction unless I think about it is to want my space. I think that's very natural if you have young children, especially if you spend a lot of time with them.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 12:20 pm
swestover wrote:
My doctor does not seem concerned he said it can be a side affect and that i have to live with it if i want to be on bc. how do you know for sure it is the bc though? could something else be wrong?

jespah wrote:

If your doctor is unconcerned, find another doctor. There are dozens of different types of birth control pills out there. You don't have to just "live with" side effects from any of them. Not listening to your very legitimate concern is, to my mind, a sign that your doctor is being insensitive to your needs.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 12:33 pm
jespah wrote:
swestover wrote:

jespah wrote:

If your doctor is unconcerned, find another doctor. There are dozens of different types of birth control pills out there. You don't have to just "live with" side effects from any of them. Not listening to your very legitimate concern is, to my mind, a sign that your doctor is being insensitive to your needs.

Now it is my turn to echo what jespah said. Find a different doctor or at least get a second opinion.
0 Replies

swestover

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 12:52 pm
Yes that is how I feel, touched out. after all day of being harrassed at work, then all night with my kids sometimes i just want to lay in bed and be alone.. i feel so worn out at the end of the day.

sozobe wrote:
Do you feel "touched out" sometimes? I ask because of the combination of not really wanting to get things going, but being fine once they do, and the fact that you have four kids, the youngest only 3. I'm a stay-at-home mom and I definitely have to consciously do a shift after a day of having my 3.75 yr old hanging on me all day. My initial reaction unless I think about it is to want my space. I think that's very natural if you have young children, especially if you spend a lot of time with them.
0 Replies

swestover

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 12:54 pm
thanks for the welcome, everyone has been so helpful and great! Everyone has been such great help. I am going to change doctors and maybe try a new bc to see if it helps. sometimes i think i am to tired to care and sometimes just want to give up and say i will never want to have sex again.. my poor husband. thank you all for being so wonderful!

jpinMilwaukee wrote:
jespah wrote:
swestover wrote:

jespah wrote:

Now it is my turn to echo what jespah said. Find a different doctor or at least get a second opinion.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 12:59 pm
Good luck. Hope everything works out for you.
0 Replies

swestover

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 01:24 pm
thank you so much for all you help. I am going to find out if it is the bc or something else, first step is a new doctor.

jpinMilwaukee wrote:
Good luck. Hope everything works out for you.
0 Replies