Scary-WDYD challenged to spit some bars!

Linkat

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2016 07:04 am
Massachusetts police issue warning over rap battles

CHARLTON, Mass. - Police in a central Massachusetts town are warning residents to be on the lookout for men challenging passersby to rap battles.

Charlton police told WCVB-TV that a black SUV containing a group of men in their late teens or early 20s pulled up next to three teenage boys at about 3 p.m. Saturday.

One of the men got out of the vehicle and started rapping. The other men then asked the teens if they wanted to "spit some bars" with them. When the boys declined, the men drove off.

Police say it doesn't appear to be an attempted abduction but that it did frighten the teens.

Anyone with information is asked to contact police.

Charlton's website says it's one of the 50 safest cities in Massachusetts.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/massachusetts-police-issue-warning-over-rap-battles/

Isn't this frightening?

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2016 07:23 am
@Linkat,
Frightening? Hell no. Mildly confusing? Heck yes. Doesn't seem like it's a setup for a viral prank video. Great opportunity for one I suppose.

Drive by shootings being harmlessly replaced by drive by rapping. That'd be a fresh change of pace for urban youth culture.
engineer

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2016 08:09 am
@tsarstepan,
It's a slippery slope. What if they start singing Taylor Swift?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2016 09:08 am
@tsarstepan,
I once was hit by a drive by squirting - squirt gun that is. This young men were driving by and they pulled up behind me as I was walking and wham - I got hit. It was a hot summer day - I turned around shocked. The dude smiled at me and said you looked so hot I had to cool you off! I laughed it off and never thought of reporting it to the police.

Haven't been hit with the spit some bars though - just found it funny that it was a warning by the police.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2016 09:10 am
@tsarstepan,
Charlton is far from urban.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2016 09:14 am
http://theblacksphere.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/pearlclutching.jpg
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2016 02:49 pm
@Linkat,
An update: looks like they are taking this seriously and having a follow up investigation...

If you're in Massachusetts, beware before busting rhymes.

Police in the town of Charlton have warned locals to watch out for "suspicious" men challenging residents to rap battles.

The unusual warning came after police said a group of men in a black SUV confronted three young teens on Saturday afternoon. One of the men got out of the car and started rapping while the other occupants of the vehicle started asking the boys if they wanted to "spit some bars," according to the Charlton Police Facebook page.

The men drove off after the boys declined their offer and police were later contacted by the teens' parents. The department described the encounter as "suspicious" and "frightening" but said it ruled out an attempted abduction.

A follow-up investigation has been launched, police added in a community notice posted to the department's Facebook page.

The notice prompted a flurry of comments, many sarcastic and confused.

"I hope they catch these monsters... What's next, a dance off?" one Facebook commenter posted. Others called the notice "absurd" and "a joke."

Police later issued a statement to "clarify" that the investigation wasn't about "rap music being sung in Charlton" but rather "the manner these older individuals used when approaching" children.

"We have encourage everyone to report suspicious activity to the police, and will continue to do so; even if it means we will be ridiculed for doing so," the department said in the follow-up comment. "We take it seriously when a parent is concerned for their child's safety."
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2016 02:57 pm
@Linkat,
And to be extra safe I am posting below the descriptions of one of the offenders:

"One of the males, with brown hair and a pale complexion, wearing a gray T-shirt, gray pants and open-toed sandals, exited the vehicle and started rapping while the other occupants of the vehicle began asking they boys if they wanted to 'spit some bars' (Rap lingo) with them. Boys declined, and the SUV drove off," the cops posted on Facebook.
0 Replies