Are Gods Judgments righteous?

Glennn

Wed 30 Mar, 2016 04:40 pm
@Leadfoot,
So, the god would kill entire populations because of the weakness of some Israelites. Why not kill the men who went whoring after Midianite tail? Also, has it occurred to you that if there was such a threat that the Israelites would come to believe in and worship another god--one that doesn't exist--then who's to say that the first god they came to believe in and worship has any more reality than the god that doesn't exist?
Leadfoot

Wed 30 Mar, 2016 05:35 pm
@Glennn,
Quote:
Also, has it occurred to you that if there was such a threat that the Israelites would come to believe in and worship another god--one that doesn't exist--then who's to say that the first god they came to believe in and worship has any more reality than the god that doesn't exist?

If that is the case we are back to the 'no God' scenario where Moses was just another Hitler. I don't think less of those who see it that way but it's not for me.
For my own reasons I do believe God exists and am interested in exploring all the implications of that.
Glennn

Wed 30 Mar, 2016 05:53 pm
@Leadfoot,
To any onlooker it would appear that Moses and his hordes went to the Midianites and slaughtered everyone, including children and babies, because some Israelites went and had sex with the women there and started worshiping their god.

And if that onlooker asked Moses why he did it, and Moses told that onlooker that the god commanded him to do it, and that onlooker asked Moses to prove it, and Moses simply assures that onlooker that he heard the god order it, what do you think that onlooker would think? What else could he think but that Moses wanted to exterminate a people based on his insistence that a god told him to do it. If that happened today . . .

Still curious about how children and babies threatened the gods goals.

0 Replies

InfraBlue

Wed 30 Mar, 2016 10:43 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:
The goal itself is irrational given the conditions he set in the first place, e.g. free will, a false alternative.

Do you mean that free will is a 'false alternative' in itself or that it is incompatible with his goal?

I meant to distinguish free will and a false alternative separately.

It's irrational to have given man free will and punish him for following it.

The false alternative is the self-determination afforded man through the free will that was given man that he's punished for pursuing.

Leadfoot wrote:
What do you see as his goal? If you have no opinion on that yourself, what do you think the consensus of believers is of that goal?

His goal is to reward those that do his bidding and punish those that don't.
Leadfoot

Thu 31 Mar, 2016 07:33 am
@InfraBlue,
Quote:

The false alternative is the self-determination afforded man through the free will that was given man that he's punished for pursuing.

A reference to Adam & Eve in the garden? I'm in the minority on this but I do not see any violation of free will there. They were given a choice and made one. Following through on an agreement made beforehand is hardly punishment.
Let me know if that's not what you were thinking of.

Quote:

That's true in a way but stating it like that has the connotation of his being capricious and arbitrary. If you defined his bidding as 'finding the nature you were made with and following it', I'd agree completely.

I'm not sure that 'punishment' is the right term for what happens in the event of failure. You just don't get to go on if found unfit for his purpose.
I feel bad for the rabid raccoon I have to put down or the worn out car I send to the crusher (I tend to get attached to my cars), but there is no punishment involved.
InfraBlue

Thu 31 Mar, 2016 09:41 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:

A reference to Adam & Eve in the garden? I'm in the minority on this but I do not see any violation of free will there.

It's a reference to all of mankind. Those who do God's bidding will be rewarded with everlasting life in Heaven or Paradise, but those who do not will be annihilated or tourtured eternally.

I didn't mention violation of free will at all.

Leadfoot wrote:
Following through on an agreement made beforehand is hardly punishment.
Let me know if that's not what you were thinking of.

That is not what I am thinking of.

Leadfoot wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:

That's true in a way but stating it like that has the connotation of his being capricious and arbitrary. If you defined his bidding as 'finding the nature you were made with and following it', I'd agree completely.

It is capricious and arbitrary.

I don't know what you mean by "finding the nature you were made with and following it."

Leadfoot wrote:
I'm not sure that 'punishment' is the right term for what happens in the event of failure. You just don't get to go on if found unfit for his purpose.

In regard to annihilation, some people don't ever want to die. It would be a punishment to them.

In regard to eternal tourture, it definitely is punishment.

Leadfoot wrote:
I feel bad for the rabid raccoon I have to put down or the worn out car I send to the crusher (I tend to get attached to my cars), but there is no punishment involved.

Your analogy is inept given the factor of free will granted to mankind.
Amoh5

Fri 1 Apr, 2016 03:48 am
@InfraBlue,
Yes, man has free will to do the right or wrong thing. If man does the right thing he will enjoy the fruits of his actions.
If man does the wrong thing, he is creating his own hell and torture. He can't go blaming his own self-inflicted actions on God.
But he can seek God's help through Lord Jesus...
Leadfoot

Fri 1 Apr, 2016 08:18 am
@InfraBlue,
Quote:

Quote:

Leadfoot replied:
"A reference to Adam & Eve in the garden? I'm in the minority on this but I do not see any violation of free will there."

Blue:
It's a reference to all of mankind. Those who do God's bidding will be rewarded with everlasting life in Heaven or Paradise, but those who do not will be annihilated or tourtured eternally.

Sorry, I didn't realize you subscribed to the 'eternal torture' scenario. I don't see how that view ever emerged (other than as a control device for religions) but once you embrace it there is not much room for discussion. If I were to take that view, I'd make it my life's work to find God, and kill him. Maybe that's what you are doing.
InfraBlue

Fri 1 Apr, 2016 01:25 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Sorry, I didn't realize you subscribed to the 'eternal torture' scenario. I don't see how that view ever emerged (other than as a control device for religions) but once you embrace it there is not much room for discussion. If I were to take that view, I'd make it my life's work to find God, and kill him. Maybe that's what you are doing.

I don't subscribe to the "eternal torture scenario." I listed it as one of two views concerning God's punishment for not doing his bidding.
Leadfoot

Fri 1 Apr, 2016 02:16 pm
@InfraBlue,
Yeah, well, when I bother to ask a question, I'm looking for your thoughts, not a random list of views. Ya got any?
InfraBlue

Fri 1 Apr, 2016 02:31 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Yeah, well, when I bother to ask a question, I'm looking for your thoughts, not a random list of views. Ya got any?

It's not a random list of views. They're the most common views in regard to punishment by the Biblical god.

I've already posted my views. You've been responding to them.
Leadfoot

Fri 1 Apr, 2016 04:39 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
It's not a random list of views. They're the most common views in regard to punishment by the Biblical god.

I've already posted my views. You've been responding to them.

Just wondered where you were coming from. You told me that 'eternal punishment' was not your view so now I have no idea which words are your views and which are your opinion of what the bible says. If you don't want to own your words there is not much chance of understanding each other.
InfraBlue

Fri 1 Apr, 2016 04:48 pm
@Leadfoot,
I do own my own words.

My opinions are based on the two views of punishment that I've listed, i.e. annihilation and eternal torture.

How difficult is that to understand?

Leadfoot

Fri 1 Apr, 2016 04:53 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
I don't subscribe to the "eternal torture scenario."

Quote:
My opinions are based on the two views of punishment that I've listed, i.e. annihilation and eternal torture.

Which of your words do you own?
InfraBlue

Fri 1 Apr, 2016 08:06 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:
I don't subscribe to the "eternal torture scenario."

Quote:

Which of your words do you own?

Both. One doesn't have to subscribe to a view to base an opinion on it. One can take a view as a hypothetical, i.e. a situation taken to be true for the purpose of argument or investigation, an assumption.
InfraBlue

Fri 1 Apr, 2016 08:25 pm
@Amoh5,
Amoh5 wrote:

Yes, man has free will to do the right or wrong thing. If man does the right thing he will enjoy the fruits of his actions.
If man does the wrong thing, he is creating his own hell and torture. He can't go blaming his own self-inflicted actions on God.
But he can seek God's help through Lord Jesus...

Given the circumstances, right and wrong action in regard to man's free will are arbitrarily set up by God as is the reward and punishment for following them respectively.

God created hell and torture, not man. You're blaming man for the conditions that God placed on man.
Amoh5

Sat 2 Apr, 2016 02:22 am
@InfraBlue,
I don't see God from the interpretation of the Old Testament, I see God through the interpretation of Lord Jesus, so consequence and responsiblity for ones own actions will lead one to a good or bad path. Taking responsibility for ones own actions is more mature and realistic...
Leadfoot

Sat 2 Apr, 2016 07:25 am
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
Both. One doesn't have to subscribe to a view to base an opinion on it. One can take a view as a hypothetical, i.e. a situation taken to be true for the purpose of argument or investigation, an assumption.
OK, you're just engaging in internet banter for the sake of argument.
You don't really have a dog in this hunt.
InfraBlue

Sat 2 Apr, 2016 10:25 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:
OK, you're just engaging in internet banter for the sake of argument.
You don't really have a dog in this hunt.

The dog in this hunt is rejection of these proselytized beliefs.
InfraBlue

Sat 2 Apr, 2016 10:29 am
@Amoh5,
Amoh5 wrote:

I don't see God from the interpretation of the Old Testament, I see God through the interpretation of Lord Jesus, so consequence and responsiblity for ones own actions will lead one to a good or bad path. Taking responsibility for ones own actions is more mature and realistic...

Sure, one thing is taking responsibility for one's own actions, another thing is being arbitrarily annihilated or tortured eternally for those actions.