RIP Nancy Reagan, 94...

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 11:34 am
Quote:
Nancy Reagan, an Influential and Stylish First Lady, Dies at 94

Nancy Reagan, the influential and stylish wife of the 40th president of the United States who
unabashedly put Ronald Reagan at the center of her life but who became a political figure in
her own right, died on Sunday at her home in Los Angeles. She was 94.

The cause was congestive heart failure, according to a statement from Joanne Drake, a
spokeswoman for Mrs. Reagan.

Mrs. Reagan was a fierce guardian of her husband’s image, sometimes at the expense of her own,
and during Mr. Reagan’s improbable climb from a Hollywood acting career to the governorship of
California and ultimately the White House, she was a trusted adviser.

“Without Nancy, there would have been no Governor Reagan, no President Reagan,” said Michael
K. Deaver, the longtime aide and close friend of the Reagans who died in 2007.
(NYT)

Leadfoot

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 11:37 am
She was no doubt more than that but I'll always remember her as the 'Just say no' girl.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 02:05 pm
@Leadfoot,
Nancy knew how to dress elegantly. She had style in spades.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 03:55 pm
I admired Nancy.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 04:18 pm
Sorry- what was so admirable?
ossobuco

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 04:25 pm
@snood,
I don't have words.

RIP
Lilkanyon

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 04:27 pm
@snood,
A product of her generation. She maintained her grace and respect. Lets give her that. she nursed her husband through a cruel disease. I hope you have peace Nancy!
snood

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 04:31 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I don't have words.

RIP

I didn't either- hence my question. But I too hope she rests in peace.
Lilkanyon

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 04:47 pm
@snood,
She was an old school generation of women, pre 1960's independance. She latched onto the cruel, and frankly, more mainstream use of drug abuse without being to understand it. I remember her, "Just say no," speeches, and it was laughable, but even today, I see ads all the time telling kids dont try Meth, even once. The premise is timeless even if it sounds a bit naive today.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 06:56 pm
@Lilkanyon,
Forgive me for delivering an opposite opinion if you please, but for the last 4 years of Regans administration Nancy was unelected president of the U S. I have always hated the fact they were unwilling to tell the people he was incapacitated and replace him with the vicepresident. I also hope she rests in peace, but let us not make her into too much of a heroine.
Lilkanyon

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 07:21 pm
@RABEL222,
Really? You think she had power? She ran the govt? The world? Its her fault her husband had some questionable policies in his day?
RABEL222

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 07:34 pm
@Lilkanyon,
I think he was incapacitated during his second term and she and others in the administration covered it up. Illegally. He wasent competent. I know to claim this about ST. Ronny will probably send me to hell but facts are facts in spite of what republicans want to believe.
Lilkanyon

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 07:53 pm
@RABEL222,
Alot of people have things to say about the Reagan presidency, good or bad. A wife is never the blame, until now it seems, when its convient. "Oh it sucked! Must be the wifes fault!" How sexist it that?
FOUND SOUL

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 11:11 pm
@Region Philbis,
94 Bless what a great life.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2016 01:14 am
@snood,
I liked that she championed stem cell research when Bush was making it illegal and it was not popular for conservatives.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2016 06:26 am
@snood,
Gotta agree with you, snood.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2016 11:00 am
@Robert Gentel,
You mean she championed embryonic stem cell research as that was the only line of stem cell research that Bush wasn't in favor of.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2016 02:45 pm
@snood,
I disliked her heartily, but.. in a way, I get her.

Time magazine has an interesting article on how she paved the way for Hillary Clinton's candidacy. No link, it was just in my google news feed.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2016 02:53 pm
@Lilkanyon,
Take a look at the Time article..

http://time.com/4249459/nancy-reagan-hillary-clinton/?xid=homepage

IDEAS POLITICS
Nancy Reagan’s Surprising Feminist Gift to Hillary Clinton
Gil Troy 10:55 AM ET
0 Replies