Republican Convention

Thok

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 10:49 pm
New York ready to unleash fury on Republicans

Sit-down protests and traditional dances as Democrats use every weapon to beat Bush

Quote:
The smiling face of former New York mayor Ed Koch beams down from posters all over the city. 'The Republicans are coming,' it says underneath. 'Make nice.'

Fat chance. New York is bracing for one of the biggest showdowns in its political history as the Republican national convention comes to town at the end of the month. Meeting the army of delegates, politicians and lobbyists will be a vast array of protest groups that intend to make the Republicans' Big Apple stay as unpleasant as possible. Trying to keep order on the streets will be 20,000 police, secret servicemen and National Guard units. A quiet week seems out of the question.

Jamie Moran certainly hopes so. He is one of the main driving forces behind the protest movement which has sprung up since the Republicans announced they would gather in New York. He and others have been collecting information on all aspects of the convention.

They run a 'snitch line' where people involved in the convention can leak details of events and where delegates have been staying. The protesters are widely believed to have infiltrated several people into working at the convention who will smuggle information out. Moran's plan is to send out teams of activists to disrupt as many events as possible.

'It's all coming along well,' he told The Observer at a meeting of protest groups in a city church. Moran, 30, son of a local cop, has become a minor media star in New York, but he is far from alone in plotting to make the city a place the Republican party will be reluctant to return to. In all, more than 250,000 protesters from all over the US and the rest of the world are expected to converge on the city during the four-day event.

full report

Offical website http://www.2004nycgop.org/
against the convention http://www.rncnotwelcome.org/

...and I say: Time to change. Kerry for president.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 9,776 • Replies: 226
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 04:11 am
I am going for a walk.
I like to walk in the city.

If I happen to walk through Central Park at the same time as 200,000 others do that just shows how nice it is to take a walk in New York City.
0 Replies

Chuckster

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 05:24 am
" Oh, how my spirit SOARS,as I linger in the presence of all that is holy".
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 08:46 am
What in the Hell are you writing about, Chuckster? Is your participation in this forum going to continue to resort to esoteric barbs or do you actually have something intelligent to express?
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 02:54 pm
Met a real radical dude at my gig last night, he claims there will be a million protestors in NYC. Sounds to me like they is going to be serious **** going down.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 03:16 pm
I can't wait to see the response by the radicals when another group shows up called Protest Warriors. They will be there in support of the US and the President.

Every time they show up at an anti-war protest they are attacked by the radicals. It's a shame to see the free speech groups try and silence someone.
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 05:09 pm
Baldimo:

You mean the rabid Busheep?

From my limited experience with a similar "Flock", they seem to be the ones who incite the activists.
0 Replies

TheTruth

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 05:10 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
I am going for a walk.
I like to walk in the city.

If I happen to walk through Central Park at the same time as 200,000 others do that just shows how nice it is to take a walk in New York City.

I thought you were done when you 'accidently' walked into the gay pride parade.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 05:52 pm
NeoGuin wrote:
Baldimo:

From my limited experience with a similar "Flock", they seem to be the ones who incite the activists.

If you mean by just being there is inciting them then sure. You should see some of the video they have of being attacked for no reason other then the signs they carry.

Why is it you think liberals and radicals are the only ones that are capable of independent thought? They show more sheep behavior then the non-radicals. Some of the people they show at these protests don't even have an idea of the issues and show it in the things they talk about.
0 Replies

TheTruth

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 07:01 pm
Baldimo wrote:
NeoGuin wrote:
Baldimo:

If you mean by just being there is inciting them then sure. You should see some of the video they have of being attacked for no reason other then the signs they carry.

Well, they attacked a guy with an anti-abortion poster in Boston during their 'peaceful' war protest. When they start a mini riot and the police try to stop it these activist will say they are being prosecuted for their protest of Bush. When there are a thousand arrests at this 'peaceful' protest this is what we will here.
"Blah, Blah, Blah.............Where are our Free Speech rights???Blah, Blah, Blah"
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 01:02 pm
Why is it that the Republicans allowed the Democrats to have their Convention--but the Democrats can't seem to do the same? (Here's one difference between the Dems and the GOP.)

I would have been embarrassed and angry if my political party 'infiltrated' the Opposition's Convention, and acted like a bunch of ill-mannered delinquents. How high school. Don't confuse this type of attack with protest.

But, let them be seen for what they are. If there is a terrorist event that 'gets through' because police are tied up with Democrat bullshit, it will never be forgotten. This stupidity will just overextend police. And, this year, NY needs all the police they can get.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 02:52 pm
Hi, Miss Nasty! :wink:

Looks like your beloved Republicans are in trouble:

Quote:
John Flanigan and Tim Doody are two other protest co-ordinators aiming to make 31 August a day of direct action. They said they would shun the idea of applying for any form of permit.

'We already have a permit. It is called the American constitution. The idea that I have to ask for permission to protest my own government is ridiculous,' Flanigan said.

Sitting on the steps of St Mark's church in the East Village, the pair typified the anger felt by protesters that the Republicans are holding their convention in a city that prides itself on its liberalism. 'This has really shaken everyone out of their complacency. People are outraged,' said Doody.

Polls support that reaction. A recent survey showed that 83 per cent of New Yorkers did not want the convention in their city. 'We all live here,' said Angela Coppola, an office worker who has joined the protest groups. 'We were the victims of 11 September and now they are coming to terrorise us with their asinine convention.'

The Guardian

And maybe some of our good corporate US media will point out that Prezdint BringEmOn stood on rubble that still had bodies buried in it...

http://www.bartcop.com/bush-bullhorn-nyc.JPG

and swore that we'd get bin Laden, then abandoned that search so he could go kill Saddam and steal his oil.

Trouble. In New York City. And that's spelled with a capital 'T'. :wink:
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 03:59 pm
Sofia wrote:
Why is it that the Republicans allowed the Democrats to have their Convention--but the Democrats can't seem to do the same? (Here's one difference between the Dems and the GOP.)

I would have been embarrassed and angry if my political party 'infiltrated' the Opposition's Convention, and acted like a bunch of ill-mannered delinquents. How high school. Don't confuse this type of attack with protest.

But, let them be seen for what they are. If there is a terrorist event that 'gets through' because police are tied up with Democrat bullshit, it will never be forgotten. This stupidity will just overextend police. And, this year, NY needs all the police they can get.

Quite a Contrast would you say?

The Republicans will gain points due to their own decent behavior during the Democratic convention.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 04:09 pm
Brand X wrote:
Sofia wrote:

The Republicans will gain points due to their own decent behavior during the Democratic convention.

Decent behavior or scripted behavior?

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040816/ap_on_el_pr/bush_preaching_to_the_choir
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 04:16 pm
Brand X wrote:

Laughing

I'll remind you of this ridiculous assertion a few more times as the GOP trots out every lie, smear and terror alert they can pull out of their ass during Fright Week (excuse me, during Convention Week).
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 04:20 pm
revel wrote:
Brand X wrote:
Sofia wrote:

Decent behavior or scripted behavior?

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040816/ap_on_el_pr/bush_preaching_to_the_choir

What does that have to do with the Dem convention?

If it was as open as this AP article suggest, Repubs intent on disrupting the Dem convention would have been in there doing it, eh?

If they were in fact in there and no disruption then I call that decent behavior not scripted.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 04:24 pm
What about those of us who are disgusted with both the Democrats and the Republicans. Is it OK for us to disrupt either convention?
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 04:31 pm
Apparently Mayor Bloomberg is not doing anything to make special plans to take action like Boston did. Bloomberg's being warned by the Boston Mayor to do what he did there to temper any disruptions.

So disrupt away!
0 Replies

El-Diablo

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 04:49 pm
Quote:
Well, they attacked a guy with an anti-abortion poster in Boston during their 'peaceful' war protest

Yes that's nice. Do you think this compares to the countless radical liberal protests who resort to violence?
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 04:52 pm
El-Diablo wrote:
Do you think this compares to the countless radical liberal protests who resort to violence?

WTF are you talking about here?
0 Replies