Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2016 04:03 pm
I developed a severe diarrha problem since Fri AM an it was associated with a breakfst I hd about 7 hours before.
I talked with my buddy (an emergency medical director) and he said DONT tqke stuff like Immodium, since all that does is allow the pathogens to continue growing "in peace"

Ive had these conditions bfore (mostly from trips to Middle and South America).

Any advice beside see a doc. anyone have any "homegrowns". Ive been keeping hydrated with mineral waters (gaaak).
Im just lying on a couch and watching TV. My friend said it passes in 5 to 7 days

ossobuco

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2016 04:46 pm
@farmerman,
No idea what the hell happened with that breakfast, hmmm. You would have mentioned odd stuff.
I knew a lot of bacteriology a semi century ago, but not now, for sure.

I seem to have improved my gut bacteria with my yogurt (pro biotic) fruit smoothies, but that could easily just be magical thinking. Memories - a smart swedish friend never went to Mexico without having charcoal tablets handy, just in case. Don't trust me or her on that, just mentioning it.

My own worst episode, oh gawd, was in Mexico on a romantic vacation, where I developed the (to me then) unique ability to have diarrhoea in the toilet and heave voluminous discharge by throwing up at the same time in the shower, luckily close by.
(I did throw up again, in Customs....) It went away once I had lunch back in LA. Scrambled eggs and toast.
I blamed that one on a certain cafe, called The Deer.

A friend's later husband got shigellosis in Mexico, more dire stuff with that; she, a nurse, got him to a hospital.

Oh, I tend to like bubbly mineral water, as an "instead of" drink, both because I don't mind it, and for the minerals (Gerolsteiner or Pellegrino).

edit, glad you have that friend, up to date on all this stuff.
Adds, sometimes it's not a pathogen (or so I learned back then) but a severe difference in bacterial flora. And sometimes it may be.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2016 05:50 pm
A daily teaspoon of colloidal silver taken as a mouthwash and swallowed before bed, plus the occasional boost when during the day you eat contaminated food. My wife used to think I was nuts, but now she takes it, too, after being saved trips to the doctor for that kind of stuff.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2016 06:40 pm
@farmerman,
wonky gut or actual food poisoning?

if it's food poisoning, it's got to be reported and the treatment's a bit different

hamburgboy had reportable food poisoning many years back. he was off work for months and had to check in with the local health board a couple of times.

wonky gut? our family doc and mrs hamburger (retired nurse) both recommended the same thing - ginger ale and either potato chips (the doc) or salty pretzels (mom) til things stabilized. the combo is a tasty variant of electrolyte meds.
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2016 07:42 pm
@ehBeth,
I was going to suggest ginger tea.

Some golden milk with tumeric would help too.
http://www.healthy-holistic-living.com/golden-milk.html
ossobuco

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2016 09:27 pm
Hey, fm, please go to the hospital if you feel like ****.

I want you alive..
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2016 09:34 pm
@Butrflynet,
the ginger ale we used to get was a lot like the ginger beer from the tropics that we get here - my Chinese neighbours use ginger tea and ginger candy for tummy upset where I'd go for ginger ale or ginger beer (or lemon ginger tea Smile )
dlowan

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2016 11:13 pm
@ehBeth,
And mint. Tea, mints....eat some mint.
Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2016 01:19 am
@dlowan,
I see that mint and ginger have been covered, so I'll just say lots of CLEAR fluids.

Clear drinks, clear soups etc.

Get well soon, fm.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2016 01:42 am
@Lordyaswas,
Medicinal clay was always the last resort when I was a child ... (I preferred grandma's pigeon soup)
farmerman

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2016 07:13 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Im sustaining . Lots pf fluids and jut yogurt and now some salty pretzels.
Feeling a little weak . Today I get with my family doc.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2016 07:17 am
@ehBeth,
I think its shigellq because I was in ok fettle until about 5-7 hours after breakfast. I began with the bloated feeling nd then was potty bound for the duration.
It was funny because the breakfqst (dried beef gravy on an english muffin) did taste a bit off . I only ate a small portion and returned it. I then ate two english muffin halves with butter and jelly.
Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2016 08:17 am
@farmerman,
I knew that the english would eventually get some of the blame. Very Happy
Miller

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2016 08:24 am
@farmerman,
Based on the fact that you've been sick nearly week, I'd suspect that you've had a food INFECTION. If you've taken your temp during these 5-7 days, it will be above normal depending on the severity of the infection.

If a stool sample was taken, what were the results?

Is there any reason to believe the infection is due to a pathogenic bacterium?

I agree with the MD, who said, avoid immodium. Read the instructions that come with this drug and you'll find out why.

An old time "cure" is hot, plain tea plus burnt toast. Ginger is good for gastric problems, but I prefer ginger ale, that's nice and cold.

If the loose stools continue beyond 7 days, you may need an antibiotic. But you may need to bring a stool sample into the lab to find out what exactly is the pathogen that's causing you so much distress.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2016 08:28 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Medicinal clay was always the last resort when I was a child ..

That's an old time Biblical remedy, that was used to rid the intestines of parasites, especially worms.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2016 08:31 am
@farmerman,
Avoid dairy products...Lactobacilli!
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2016 02:50 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

I knew that the english would eventually get some of the blame. Very Happy

Seems only fair! Last time I was in London I got bloody sick. I had to go to Scotland to recover.

Get well soon, farmerman.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2016 03:24 pm
First of all, farmer, status report needed.

I have to apologize to the Deer Cafe. Pah! at myself, that was a lunch with girlfriends in Guadalajara, years prior to the super special propulsive vomiting episodes. In the Guadalajara scenario, I recovered after losing a little weight, which was basically minor and maybe not their fault at all.. I've a picture from back then. My hair actually looked good while I was wan.

The ridiculous romantic vacation had us on the beach at Mismaloya, south of Vallarta, meeting another couple on the beach at the beach bar. They were from Mexico City (which by the way has now changed its naming), we talked. I think they were attorneys, my guy was a doctor, I was me. They wanted to treat us to a plate of raw oysters.

That did it.

I've never had raw oysters before or since.
Oddly, I don't mind sashimi, depending on where. West coast US, there are a lot of good restaurants. Albuqueque, I'll pass.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2016 04:27 pm
@Lordyaswas,
MY doc has me on a K supplement and some meds that include antibiotic,probiotics (gonna fight it out I guess) and some other meds. Im drinking V8 ( the original, its loaded with K nd Na and Ca).

The breakfass was a Pa Dutch special "Frizz dry beef and sausage gravy" (Which I have sworn off for life)
ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2016 04:38 pm
I'd be interested in how this happened and I'd like to see it being chased.
0 Replies