NJ Governor resigns: "I am a gay American"

Sofia

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 10:06 pm
angie--

Was that directed at me?

Because if this is true--

I do not subscribe to the idea that anyone needs acceptance from anyone else regarding their sexuality, so whether gay people are born gay or with a predisposition that is triggered after birth, it matters not to me
-----
What's this about--?

I wonder what percentage of people are truly bi-sexual. I understand what you said about some people being 80/20, or 70/30, but I would think there are very few people at the extremes or exactly in the middle
-----
Do you question sexual orientation because of what organized religion tells you? I hope those beliefs don't affect your views on public policy or civil rights...
0 Replies

angie

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 10:44 pm
Sofia, no, I just gave my view regarding "acceptance". I was not suggesting anything about you.

My other comments were in reference to what Sozobe had posted regarding the Kinsey scale.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 06:31 am
I don't understand why he felt he had to quit merely because he is gay and had an affair.

What I don't like is the fact that he married and had children while being gay. It was not right to his wife and children to basically tell them that they were merely fronts like props in a movie. It is not acceptable to merely blame to society we live in for leading a double life. People are responsible for their own actions in the end.
0 Replies

angie

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 08:32 am
I completely agree.

Is it possible he and his wife had some sort of "arrangement" (obviously untenable), for the children ?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 08:44 am
The mistake is to judge character by someone's sexual orientation and there is where the prejudice lies. And I did meant that prejudice lies.
0 Replies

lucia

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 09:30 am
Re: NJ Governor resigns: "I am a gay American"
Poor man... he lived a lie all his life... probably to don't dissapoint his parents/relatives. He is weak and blind when he falls in love and that is very bad for anyone's professional live... gay or straight. It is about time that parents be more open minded and tolerant and accept their children as they are.... many tragedies like this one could be avoided if parents stop putting so much pressure, stress and expectations on their children. If McGreevey was let be who he is since younger... I am sure he would have been accepted as a great proffesional/politician right know. I feel very sorry for him... and his family although I have the feeling his wives knew.... but he is very attractive, smart and successful... and many women are forgiven...

joefromchicago wrote:
N.J. governor is outta closet, and jobNote: McGreevey also was involved in some financial scandals -- anyone from the Garden State care to fill us in on the details?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 09:53 am
Men often marry and discover their real sexual orientation that has been suppressed for most of their life at a most inopportune time. Becoming a governor and marrying straight is one of those times. That is a benefit of the doubt I'd be inclined to give this man, perhaps rather than concentrate on the political devices which are the MO of all politicians.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 12:32 pm
These are really awful.

Sorry; I couldn't resist passing them along.

Apologies in advance to all offended (and to be accurate this was sent to me by New Jersey Republican):

TOP 10 Changes in NJ caused by Gov. McGreevey's revelations:

10. NJ state bird is now the swallow
9. NJ Turnpike renamed Hershey Highway
8. NJ raises terror alert level to lavender
7. We know he didn't like Bush, but this is ridiculous
6. Now we know why McGreevey enjoyed "polling" so much
5. What do the Governor and the Isreali navy have in common?
A preference for Jewish seamen.
4. NJ DMV to now call rear-end accidents a 'McGreevey'
3. Gives new meaning to stuffing the ballot box
2. Post-press conference headline... "McGreevey Goes Down"
1. Shouldn't take him long to move out of the Governors
mansion... he's already got his sh.t packed
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 12:37 pm
If that isn't Letterman's it should be. Laughing
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 12:38 pm
PDiddie wrote:

TOP 10 Changes in NJ caused by Gov. McGreevey's revelations:

10. NJ state bird is now the swallow
9. NJ Turnpike renamed Hershey Highway
8. NJ raises terror alert level to lavender
7. We know he didn't like Bush, but this is ridiculous
6. Now we know why McGreevey enjoyed "polling" so much
5. What do the Governor and the Isreali navy have in common?
A preference for Jewish seamen.
4. NJ DMV to now call rear-end accidents a 'McGreevey'
3. Gives new meaning to stuffing the ballot box
2. Post-press conference headline... "McGreevey Goes Down"
1. Shouldn't take him long to move out of the Governors
mansion... he's already got his sh.t packed

LOL...PDiddie Mr. Green

Sometimes funny is just funny.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 08:09 am
I never realized you guys found gay bashing so funny. I am sure that all the homosexuals who have been beaten and killed through the years are yukking it up with you.

It's not funny.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 08:42 am
McGentrix wrote:
I luaghed so hard I was crying when I received the CNN newsbreak email. I had read an earlier article about McGreevey and how he ran his campaign... My sides still hurt...

McGentrix wrote:
I never realized you guys found gay bashing so funny. I am sure that all the homosexuals who have been beaten and killed through the years are yukking it up with you.

It's not funny.

What changed? My thoughts were that most people here were indeed criticizing him on his politics, not his orientation. Folks can joke about being gay you know.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 08:47 am
My reaction had nothing to do with his sexual preference but with the fact that the previous day I had been reading about how McGreevy had run his campaign on "no corruption" and family values. Then, I was sent a CNN News brief that stated he was resigning because he had a homosexual affair. The soap operaness of the email made me laugh rather hard.

So, as you can see, nothing has changed.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 08:48 am
It is quite the soap opera. On that, I would agree.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 09:19 am
There's a reference to Bush as a female part al la Whoopie again.
0 Replies