NJ Governor resigns: "I am a gay American"

Setanta

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 02:09 pm
Sofia wrote:
He seems to be trying to ue his sexual orientation to cloud the issue of what he did.

I agree with this completely--it's the first thought which occurred to me in reading this.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 02:12 pm
That could be but I doubt he really believes that will work if there is any litigation or impeachment proceedings brought against him. One thing for sure, he isn't a victim of anything but his own devices.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 02:28 pm
With all the complaints about partisan politics this is a good example of non-partisan revulsion.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 02:41 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
One thing for sure, he isn't a victim of anything but his own devices.

How can you be sure that devices were involved?
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 02:58 pm
Um,....they always use devices...

<kidding>
0 Replies

angie

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 03:11 pm
"they" ????

hmmmm.

<kidding>

Some of my best friends ..... use the word "they".
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 03:22 pm
I know. I shouldn't have said 'they'.

I knew it would offend you people...

<hee>
0 Replies

angie

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 03:38 pm
No problem.

Some of my best friends are offensive !!

; )
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 03:41 pm
if I had some friends I would call them "they" too and I'm pretty sure they would have "devices." I, meself have several vices but none to speak of politically.
0 Replies

angie

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 03:48 pm
Very Happy
0 Replies

Misty Green

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 04:45 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
You're either wired than way or you're not. It's bisexuals I have a problem understanding.

What's so hard to understand about it? The word I think is self-explanatory
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 07:29 pm
OK, I'll bite.

One of the 'arguments' used by gay people to gain acceptance with heterosexuals is that they are hard-wired toward sexual interest in members of their own sex.

It sort of confounds some to see people, who throw their leg over anything that'll stay still long enough... How does bi-sexuality fit in with the 'wiring' story?

I know that some people don't subscribe to the inborn attraction story. And, still others (like prisoners) "love the one they're with" regardless of anatomical inconveniences...

It is sort of a mystery to some of us.
0 Replies

Misty Green

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 08:45 pm
Cool
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 08:46 pm
Wire the one you're with, eh?
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 08:55 pm
Well, you should be a fount of information!

If you would answer a few questions, it may really help me (maybe some other hapless individual) understand something new about sexuality.

(Don't answer anything you don't feel like answering, and thanks in advance if you decide to participate.)

Were you ever oriented exclusively toward one sex?

Do you consider your sexual orientation 'inborn' or a matter of choice? (Or, did girls and boys always produce the same sexual titillation for you from the beginning of your sexual awakening--or at a later age, did you consciously decide to expand your dating pool?)

Thanks, Misti Green--and WELCOME TO A2K!!!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 09:10 pm
I've said this so many times, prolly really boring by now, but what makes perfect sense to me is the Kinsey scale. People are totally gay, totally straight, mostly gay, mostly straight, etc., and some of 'em are right there in the middle and can go either way with no particular preferences. 0-1-2-3-4-5-6. No contradiction there between hard-wired towards interest in the same sex, and hard-wired towards being more... flexible.

And since not that many are absolute, it also explains prison scenarios -- everyone but the zeros (exclusively heterosexual) have some inclination, whether they admit it or not.
0 Replies

Chuckster

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 09:20 pm
No "prolly" 'bout it Soz. What'll be your 10,989th?
0 Replies

Misty Green

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 09:22 pm
. Exclamation
0 Replies

angie

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 09:23 pm
I know you (Sofia) have asked Misti for her input (which I welcome as well), but I would like to offer the following.

All the gay people I know, every single one of them, say that their sexual orientation was permanently fixed early in childhood. Some of them feel they were born "wired", others believe they were born with a predisposition which was affected by experiences, but they all agree that their sexuality was determined well before or very early during puberty.

I do not subscribe to the idea that anyone needs acceptance from anyone else regarding their sexuality, so whether gay people are born gay or with a predisposition that is triggered after birth, it matters not to me, and the truth is, we may never know.

How people live, how they treat others, whether they are honest, hard-working, compassionate, etc - these are the things I care about. I understand that for some people it is about what organized religion tells then, and that's fine for them. I just do not believe those specific beliefs ought to affect public policy and civil rights in America or anywhere else.
0 Replies

angie

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 09:39 pm
Sozobe,

Do you know whether the Kinsey scale offers percentages regarding how many people fall into each "category"?

I wonder what percentage of people are truly bi-sexual. I understand what you said about some people being 80/20, or 70/30, but I would think there are very few people at the extremes or exactly in the middle. Just my feeling, I could be wrong.
0 Replies