Which Religion is the One True Religion?

RonPrice

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2014 03:31 am
@Frank Apisa,
This is a Baha'i take and my take is basically the same. To reduce the verbiage, though, for those who like it simple it is as follows:

1. the laws in the Old Testament applied to the Jews.
2. from a Baha'i standpoint they no longer apply.
3. The Baha'is follow a new set of laws. They are not Mosaic and Judaic, but written by Baha'u'llah and interpreted by His appointed and elected successors.

No big words there.-Ron
RonPrice

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2014 03:32 am
@cicerone imposter,
Thanks, cicerone imposter. I'll see what I can do to simplify the vocabulary. Your kind words, though, are appreciated.-Ron
0 Replies

Calamity Dal

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2014 05:00 am
@Smileyrius,
Smiley if someone likes to fornicate, it will never form a part of his religion no matter how many texts speak against it. You should have learned by now that Romeo only acknowledges the parts of the bible that he wants, which seem to need an awful lot of interpretation.

Another note, be very careful to believe his "quoted scripture." I have noted he likes to alter the texts and sometimes rewrite them entirely to support his "cockamime" belief.

So all in all, "do not be misled"
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2014 08:26 am
@RonPrice,
RonPrice wrote:

This is a Baha'i take and my take is basically the same. To reduce the verbiage, though, for those who like it simple it is as follows:

3. The Baha'is follow a new set of laws. They are not Mosaic and Judaic, but written by Baha'u'llah and interpreted by His appointed and elected successors.

No big words there.-Ron

So it is the opinion of the Bahai faith...and of you...

...that although the god at one point considered homosexual conduct to be such an abomination, he demanded death as a punishment...

...the god no longer feels that way?

And although the god at one point considered slavery and slave trading to be moral and okay...

...the god no longer feels that way?

I am not being a wise-ass here, Ron. I am trying to understand the reasoning you are using to arrive at this.

Anything further you can share?
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2014 08:38 am
Quote:
Ron said: Progressive revelation is a core teaching in the Bahá'í Faith...the revelation of Bahá'u'lláh is the most recent..

But why should we believe Baha u ullah?
What are his credentials?
Wasn't he simply a human giving us his best guesses and hunches?
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2014 08:55 am
Quote:
Smileyrius said: You forgot to respond again Romeo, what does the bible say on fornication?

It says "don't do it", I thought everybody knew that?
Or is it a trick question or something?
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2014 09:08 am
Quote:
Calamity alleged: I have noted he [Romeo] likes to alter the texts and sometimes rewrite them entirely to support his "cockamime" belief.

Br careful chum, the naughty step....
I ALWAYS give the chapter and verse of everything I quote so that people can look it up in their own Bibles to double check it..Smile
PS- speaking of Bibles, this is a very good online one-
http://www.biblegateway.com/
because you can type in keywords and phrases to compare how they're presented in different Bible versions.
I like the fearless old KJV (King James Version) but also use the NKJV (New King James version) which replaces oldfashioned english words such as "thee" and "shalt" etc with the modern "you" and "shall".
I also like the NIV (New International Version) to compare and cross reference against the other two.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2014 09:40 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Quote:

Which presented the problem of where the servants and warriors would come from if that injunction was obeyed.

Marriage was the solution. Duly solemnised on payment of certain fees. And when fornication doesn't apply in sanctified institutions. Just as defecation doesn't apply in well appointed washrooms.

Fornication is frowned upon in all cultures with varying degrees of contempt. It is not only the Bible. Some South African tribes insisted that a man must dip his spear in the blood of the enemy before losing his cherry. In some places owning a few thousand acres of good land is necessary. Malinowski couldn't make head or tail of the rules of some aboriginal tribes in this regard. All he could see was the strictness of the applications.

What Apisa should be doing, if he was man enough, is provide an alternative system instead of dedicating himself to carping at the one in general use and which I would claim has served us admirably. Including Apisa himself who is self-evidently the stupidest A2Ker that ever was and probably ever will be.

It seems to me that a man can't get stupider than to be carping against an established tradition which has served him very well and having nothing to offer to replace it. That's what street furniture vandals do.

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2014 10:42 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:
I make no guesses about things like centaurs, jinn, tooth fairies, unicorns...or the like.

So I ask again...what guesses?

So, like Spendi said, you allow for the existence of centaurs and jinn.

What I wrote was: I make no guesses about things like centaurs, jinn, tooth fairies, unicorns...or the like.

That is what I meant.

You have suggested that I do...so how about citing an instance where I have?

So then, you make no guesses about the existence of centaurs, jinn, tooth fairies, unicorns or the like, understood. And since you don't make guesses about their existence you allow for their existence. Or do your thoughts about such things not extend beyond "not making guesses about them"?
spendius

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2014 10:45 am
@spendius,
And he tells lies too. He claimed he answered questions put to him.

Okay then.

What is your proposed alternative to the system which operated in Biblical times regarding the management of sexual relations? What ought they to have done?

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2014 10:57 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:
I make no guesses about things like centaurs, jinn, tooth fairies, unicorns...or the like.

So I ask again...what guesses?

So, like Spendi said, you allow for the existence of centaurs and jinn.

What I wrote was: I make no guesses about things like centaurs, jinn, tooth fairies, unicorns...or the like.

That is what I meant.

You have suggested that I do...so how about citing an instance where I have?

So then, you make no guesses about the existence of centaurs, jinn, tooth fairies, unicorns or the like, understood.

Great. Glad I finally got that through to you.

Quote:
And since you don't make guesses about their existence you allow for their existence.

If you really want to have a discussion about the possible existence of things like tooth fairies, unicorns, centaurs, or the like...there are many people here in A2K who would just love to have that discussion.

I am not interested in those kinds of things.

Quote:

Or do your thoughts about such things not extend beyond "not making guesses about them"?

Actually my thoughts do go beyond "not making guesses about them." I laugh my butt off when I see otherwise intelligent people struggling with questions about the existence of those kinds of things. So I guess you could say that I go so far as to extract as much entertainment as possible out of the considerations, Blue.
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2014 11:07 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

Quote:
Smileyrius said: You forgot to respond again Romeo, what does the bible say on fornication?

Or is it a trick question or something?

Actually the bible doesn't "say" anything. The men who wrote and continually revise it to suit their purposes say the things and someone writes it down for them.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2014 11:41 am
Quote:
Romeo said re Fornication: The Bible says "don't do it", I thought everybody knew that?
Blueveinedthrobber said: Actually the bible doesn't "say" anything. The men who wrote and continually revise it to suit their purposes say the things and someone writes it down for them

There are at least 55 bible verses saying fornication is a no-no, so you'd better argue it out with Jesus when you meet him.
http://www.openbible.info/topics/fornication

PS- do yourself a favour mate and change your name from 'blueveinedthrobber' because it makes you sound like a dick and nobody will take you seriously..Wink
Smileyrius

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2014 12:43 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Quote:
My personal stance is that cheap throwaway sex outside marriage is sickening.I tried it in my younger days and hated it because there was no commitment, no bond, no depth to it.
But if two people really care for each other outside marriage it's up to their own conscience whether they want to "do it", or wait til they get married to get a piece of paper to make it "legal".
Incidentally cheap throwaway sex also happens between many married couples; for example a woman has got a thread going in A2K at this very moment saying her hub just "uses her for sex".

Quote:
There are at least 55 bible verses saying fornication is a no-no

It was not a trick question my friend, I wanted to check your understanding, because you state that you know the bible says not to but you teach that it is down to your own conscience

1 Corinthians 6 says that fornicators will not inherit the kingdom, yet you teach they will if they love one another.

I intend not to offend you Romeo, but perhaps in this instance, the bible is right and you are wrong?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2014 12:46 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

Quote:
Romeo said re Fornication: The Bible says "don't do it", I thought everybody knew that?
Blueveinedthrobber said: Actually the bible doesn't "say" anything. The men who wrote and continually revise it to suit their purposes say the things and someone writes it down for them

There are at least 55 bible verses saying fornication is a no-no, so you'd better argue it out with Jesus when you meet him.

PS- do yourself a favour mate and change your name from 'blueveinedthrobber' because it makes you sound like a dick and nobody will take you seriously..Wink

I was here before you got here and I'll be here when you're gone.....mate.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2014 01:14 pm
Quote:
Smileyrius said re Fornication: @RF- you state that you know the bible says not to but you teach that it is down to your own conscience

RIGHT THAT'S IT! GET ON HERE THIS INSTANT!-

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/naughty-step_zpseb4d36c1.jpg~original

For your information I said earlier- "My personal stance is that cheap throwaway sex outside marriage is sickening...But if two people really care for each other outside marriage it's up to their own conscience whether they want to do it"
I also posted this link to 55 anti-fornication Bible verses-

You see, I'm not "teaching" anything, I'm simply pointing out that God has given people FREE WILL to choose to obey him or not and then take his Judgement on Judgement Day (the clue is in the name)..Smile
neologist

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2014 02:16 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
You see, I'm not "teaching" anything, I'm simply pointing out that God has given people FREE WILL to choose to obey him or not and then take his Judgement on Judgement Day (the clue is in the name)..Smile
Break out the butter and syrup, ma. Romeo's makin' waffles.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2014 02:23 pm
@RonPrice,
RonPrice wrote:

No big words there.-Ron
The law of the Christ superseded the Mosaic Law because Jesus fulfilled it by his sacrifice. But the law of the Christ cannot be superseded. There are abundant scriptural references. The central error of the Baha'i is in denying the divine nature of Christ.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2014 04:32 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Quote:
PS- do yourself a favour mate and change your name from 'blueveinedthrobber' because it makes you sound like a dick and nobody will take you seriously..

I thought it was a great name Romeo. It made me laugh when I first saw it. I took it to refer to the veins that stand out on a stiffo and which can be made to throb.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2014 05:09 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Ok. So, to reiterate, the process of blind guessing is as complex as your guesses, or lack thereof, about centaurs and jinn.